• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Ultima Online Newsletter #38

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Interesting. Why not just make all Robes have the option of a hood or no hood.

I can carry around a bottle or musical instrument soon...

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Interesting. Why not just make all Robes have the option of a hood or no hood.

I can carry around a bottle or musical instrument soon...
I've wanted to wear a hood + cloak with no robe for years.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've wanted to wear a hood + cloak with no robe for years.
Robes and cloaks have nice properties. Unless the robe could just become the hood when clicked you would lose 1.

More realistically the hood is going to be head wear that has resists of 3 or 4...

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I love the idea of the equipable bottle, instruments, and other ''decorative'' items. The average RP session does not need high stat gear, nor does basic, everyday PvM. Stuff like this makes MMORPGs more fun for a lot of folks.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wish they would have done things like this 15 years ago when there still was a large RP community. Now, most those communities have died... or are mostly dead.

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
On the subject, why not a Transmog idea like WoW implemented? We could change the appearance of any item, except a weapon, into something else.

Maybe sell each change so we have another gold sink.

North_LS

Journeyman
On the subject, why not a Transmog idea like WoW implemented? We could change the appearance of any item, except a weapon, into something else.

ive suggested that a couple times in the other forum and dropped kyronix a note about it. i'd pay (gold) for that for sure. the following quote from the newsletter gives me hope:

"Our goal is to use player reported preferences and release new cosmetic options for those artifacts."

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

It's a good idea, been hoping for something like that for a while, especially for cloth Items. *Looking at you hawkugly Robe" Blackthorn was definitely not the solution.

The issue is in how the game handles Medable, the Lmc bonus and damage reduction bonus from being studded/metal. They would have to shift those to be property based instead of intrinsic values in the type for the armor itself. Then apply it to all current armor and newly generated armor. We'd get mervyn's wall of text that he's been asking for at meet and greets.

Weapons, would also be a nightmare since the primary abilities, secondary abilities, base speed and damage are attached to the type of weapon and have nothing to do with the properties. It would be pretty cool to wield a scythe but it has whirlwind :p .. Would also have to only allow two handed to go to two handed and 1 handed to go to 1 handed.

After that, just have to make sure the items can't be returned to it's resource, or imbued and it should be fine.

Gold sinks are good, but should be reasonable. 6 Armor slots, boots, apron, robe, cloak, shield, could get pretty dicey pretty quick.

North_LS

Journeyman
The issue is in how the game handles Medable, the Lmc bonus and damage reduction bonus from being studded/metal. They would have to shift those to be property based instead of intrinsic values in the type for the armor itself. Then apply it to all current armor and newly generated armor. We'd get mervyn's wall of text that he's been asking for at meet and greets.
i'd limit it to items of the same slot type, and actually transform it to the new item in regards to special properites like lmc, stam protection, medable, etc. no need for it to retain its original properties, really wouldnt be any different functionally from being able to add and remove mage armor for a gold fee.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Exactly what I thought of with the Wedding Package
With the wedding package, (UO Weddings) they had years ago that you could buy came with a wedding certificate IRL they would send you... This is how "Willa of the Yew-wood" got her name... they also renamed your characters whatever you wanted adding a "last name" we chose "of the Yew-wood"... Now 3 or 4 years later a GM pulled Polynikes aside and told him his name was too long and he'd have to shorten it.... so he didn't argue too much and they changed his name to Polynikes of Yew... which IMO was wrong since they did give us those names in the first place when we bought the wedding package... but no one has ever changed Willa's name and Mesanna assured me this would never happen... I believe that came with a GM run ceremony if you wanted it, 2 wedding rings engraved with something I can't remember how much you could put on it... and 25 wedding invitations and 2 in-game wedding certificates if I recall. Back then I used to use my Theatre to do weddings but ours was held at the Temple of Palentine by Pheonix. I still have pictures though they are in 3rd Dawn...

Mesanna helped me fix my personal bless deed so it would recognize me again... Now I think they might give you a renaming token or something but I don't really remember might not be included in the package...

But what seriously irks me about the whole thing is that the Cakes aren't recipes... and if you want to get at least 1 of each cake you have to buy that many wedding packages and I don't have the storage for that many tables and chairs... I thought about getting 4 of them so I could get 1 of each of the archways... since I still offer to do weddings at the Theatre... but that seems again really expensive for something you aren't going to use that much. People just don't get married much in-game anymore...

I still wish they would offer the cakes in some other package or as recipes ... I would buy that probably more than once. But I'm not buying the entire package to get 1 of each of the cakes. And I'd prefer not to buy more than one.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As for the Transmog or whatever long time ago they talked about having 2 versions of your paperdoll... Many games do that... Black Desert has "costume" slots where you can turn anything you want pretty much into a "costume" that takes one of those slots which includes weapon slots ... so you can dress how you like but wear your regular armor and chose what parts are seen or not seen.

I'd prefer if they did something like that. Then you could actually wear short pants or something and still have armor on.

Chap

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having two or more items of same type only in different cloth slots is not a good idea.
Same as having same item, same name only two different propeties.

Its just too much confusion when selling items,
someone buys the high end "awesome armorpiece this or that" then turns out its the bad version of it.

If anything should have a different look its the hawking robe, its ridicolus.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Dammit, they are going to touch Corgul next.
I guess I better chain it as much as possible during the next few months before they make it unplayable.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"Our goal is to use player reported preferences and release new cosmetic options for those artifacts."
"player reported" rather sounds like they ask their standard bunch of UO cat ladies what we want and then just drop 10 or 20 new items.

Just like they don't give us empty keep or castle plots but spent months on that contest where only couple static designs get picked up.

North_LS

Journeyman
Dammit, they are going to touch Corgul next.
I guess I better chain it as much as possible during the next few months before they make it unplayable.
i was thinking the same about blackthorns dungeon. better hoard my epaulettes and doublets now.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like how they say blackthorns dungeon promotes afk scripting, like they are worried about that now!?!?! LOLOLOL

You know what else promotes that kind of gameplay, mining, BODS, lumberjacking, Saw/fletcher runics, EJ accts, High mod legendary farming, having more then a couple accounts, shard shields. I could keep going but whats the point.

North_LS

Journeyman
I like how they say blackthorns dungeon promotes afk scripting, like they are worried about that now!?!?! LOLOLOL

You know what else promotes that kind of gameplay, mining, BODS, lumberjacking, Saw/fletcher runics, EJ accts, High mod legendary farming, having more then a couple accounts, shard shields. I could keep going but whats the point.
in fairness, you didnt have to even know what a script was in order to farm blackthorns afk for a long time. there was plenty of safe spots you could park yourself while your pet racked up minax arts for you. i believe that's been corrected for a while though, just by turning the auto-teleport to the gas chamber back on.