• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Changes with T hunting are on Test Center

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Well I was back on TC to check another question I had regarding remove trap. Here is the map and the skills of the T hunter. Cart is in the sea saw section.

Here are the skills of the other member of the Party, please note the 100 points for RT.

My t hunter killed off the guardians, unlocked the chest, my remove trap character steps up to do the RT, and is told This is not you chest. What? Ok? T hunter passes the map over and the RT tries once more, “This is not your chest”.

Now I ask about this in general chat but did not receive a reply. I went ahead and drop LP on the t hunter added RT taking out the trap. Now I had hoped that a 2nd char with RT in Party could RT the chest, seem you cannot, so again you are force all the skills on to one char to do the chest but harp about group efforts on it. What efforts? Kill the spawn?

Over all the loot was mostly antiques, a few curse. two pinks two blues.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Reaper draws all the spawn to it so she can get back and cast an RC once it dies.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Well time to train RT getting ready for upcoming stuff I guess. Any recommendations for this? TYVM in advance. And I mean without the need for thieving skill etc, just RT.

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I copied my Drachenfels treasure hunter with 91.9 RT to Test Center. What a pleasant surprise to see her gain RT on all the chests she dug up, even (especially) the low level ones.

My theory regarding the best RT training method, based on my experiences on TC:
Start by buying the skill from a tinker or thief.
Do stash, supply and cache chests (levels 1 to 3). You'll gain the skill automatically when, after unlocking the chest, you try to remove the trap.
I'm guessing these chests should bring you to GM, and as soon as you've reached this, you can start doing the hoards and troves.
As far as I'm concerned, this is one of the best ways yet to gain a skill. Just dig up low level chests, gain some gold and gems (plus a nice extra), and get a few RT gains in the process.
I look forward to obtaining my remaining 81 gains to bring my TH to GM :thumbup:

If the prospect doesn't please you of being attacked by blue guardian spawn whenever you fail at RT, there's an alternative method:
Start by buying the skill from a tinker or thief.
Buy puzzles to train remove trap. It's splendid if you like puzzles.
No idea yet where to find the puzzles, and how much they'll cost.

And then there's the third way to gain RT, which has existed since years:
Remove Trap - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia
I'm assuming this method won't change.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well time to train RT getting ready for upcoming stuff I guess. Any recommendations for this? TYVM in advance. And I mean without the need for thieving skill etc, just RT.
If you want to start working on it now, since the new publish isn't released yet, you'll have to do it the grindy, icky way.

Remove Trap isn't available as a starting skill and I don't believe it's available on one of the advanced character/mythic tokens either. The only way I know of to get a jump on training it is to buy it from an npc thief guildmaster. However, you must first have 50 detect hidden skill and 50 lockpicking skill. (Those requirements seem to be gone on TC, so hopefully that carries through to everywhere else after the publish.) So, get your 50 detect hidden and 50 lockpicking and then go buy Remove Trap training, which should get you anywhere from 31 to 33 points of Remove Trap skill.

You will need to have a character that is training tinkering skill available to you while you train remove trap. The tinker's skill needs to stay right around what the trap remover's RT skill is, or a bit more, but not so high that you never get to disarm any traps. So figure out which character you're going to train tinkering on and start it at about 30 tinkering so you have the minimum needed to place traps. Slap a tinkering talisman on the tinker so you don't go nuts with all the trap placement failures at first. Your tinker will gain from placing traps pretty consistently, but slower and slower, until around 70-75 tinkering skill. You will have to periodically have the tinker trainee make other things to bump up their tinkering skill, e.g., tinker tools, lockpicks, jewelry. So you will end up needing more ingots than bolts in the long run.

Make 21 boxes. (You can't use ones purchased from an NPC because you can't place traps on them. Crates are not trappable.) Toss the key from one of the boxes and then place the other 20 boxes inside it. Put a keyring in the first box and put the keys from all 20 of the interior boxes on it. Don't lock the boxes. (If you are going to do tinkering on a different character, I strongly suggest you make up 4 sets of 20 trapped boxes each, or more if you have the storage. Secure them to the floor and set security so the tinker and the trap remover characters can get into them.)

Now have your tinker dart trap all 20 of the interior boxes. You'll need one bolt and one ingot per trap. If you're on Siege or Mugen, make sure the tinker has on high physical resist because trap placement failure causes a bunch of damage.

Before your trap remover begins his/her delicate work, check out their suit and remove the gloves. You won't want to wear them while training remove trap; if you decide to ignore this advice, keep a keen eye on them and pull them off before they poof on you. (Gorgets seem to take some extra damage too from removing traps.) Next check your character's physical resist and make sure it is as high as possible. The trap remover is going to take a lot of damage, more as he advances and starts disarming tougher traps, so he/she needs to have a method of healing. If it will be magery, make sure the suit has enough LRC to not get "you need reagents" messages all the time. You might also want to make sure there's a healer nearby because you will surely get distracted at some point along the way and the trap remover will die from trap damage.

So if you're all set with both the tinker and the trap remover, just start removing the traps one at a time. There's about an 8 second delay between attempts and you will fail a lot. Some failures cause no damage and some do, so keep a close eye on things and keep the trap remover alive. I don't know if dying from a trap will cause skill loss if you are using a VvV character. It used to when you were in factions and made training remove trap even more precarious.

I strongly suggest that if you can do it, you do the training on a character with no other skills besides detect, lock picking, remove trap, magery or healing, and tinkering if you're using the same character. Keep total skills as low as you possibly can to take advantage of the guaranteed gain system. Keep tinkering as close to the same level as the remove trap skill. Get a crystal ball of knowledge if you want to try to train in the Optimal range. If you decide not to train tinkering all the way to GM, you can probably stop at 90 and let the GM tinker you probably already have trap the boxes from that point on. GM-tinker trapped boxes become optimal to use when Remove Trap skill hits 95.1.

Once the publish goes in, you will notice that you'll get nice gains (i.e., sometimes more than .1 per chest, possibly up to around 3.4) from removing traps on treasure chests. You can also get those nice gains, up to a point (not sure exactly what it is) from solving the puzzle training kits. If you want to see those now, there are three stones just next to the scribe shop on the Britain commons where you can get them. You're also supposed to get RT gains from using it on dungeon and town chests, but I am not sure if those gains will be as "accelerated" as the ones from the puzzles or actual treasure chests. Kyronix has indicated the best RT gains will come from using the skill on treasure chests.

Nothing has been announced about eliminating the delay between uses of the remove trap skill, so I think it's still going to be there.

ADDED: If you play on Baja, Origin, or Izumo, you might want to get started on the remove trap training now. I would pull my hair out if I was training remove trap on one of those shards after the publish and there was a revert.

ADDED: Removed reference to using crates. Discovered you cannot place traps on them. Use the boxes instead!

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
If you want to start working on it now, since the new publish isn't released yet, you'll have to do it the grindy, icky way.

Remove Trap isn't available as a starting skill and I don't believe it's available on one of the advanced character/mythic tokens either. The only way I know of to get a jump on training it is to buy it from an npc thief guildmaster. However, you must first have 50 detect hidden skill and 50 lockpicking skill. (Those requirements seem to be gone on TC, so hopefully that carries through to everywhere else after the publish.) So, get your 50 detect hidden and 50 lockpicking and then go buy Remove Trap training, which should get you anywhere from 31 to 33 points of Remove Trap skill.

You will need to have a character that is training tinkering skill available to you while you train remove trap. The tinker's skill needs to stay right around what the trap remover's RT skill is, or a bit more, but not so high that you never get to disarm any traps. So figure out which character you're going to train tinkering on and start it at about 30 tinkering so you have the minimum needed to place traps. Slap a tinkering talisman on the tinker so you don't go nuts with all the trap placement failures at first. Your tinker will gain from placing traps pretty consistently, but slower and slower, until around 70-75 tinkering skill. You will have to periodically have the tinker trainee make other things to bump up their tinkering skill, e.g., tinker tools, lockpicks, jewelry. So you will end up needing more ingots than bolts in the long run.

Make 21 boxes or crates. Small crates require 10 carpentry skill, so a human char with no carpentry skill can make them. (You can't use ones purchased from an NPC because you can't place traps on them.) Toss the key from one of the boxes and then place the other 20 boxes inside it. Put a keyring in the first box and put the keys from all 20 of the interior boxes on it. Don't lock the boxes. (If you are going to do tinkering on a different character, I strongly suggest you make up 4 sets of 20 trapped boxes each, or more if you have the storage. Secure them to the floor and set security so the tinker and the trap remover characters can get into them.)

Now have your tinker dart trap all 20 of the interior boxes. You'll need one bolt and one ingot per trap. If you're on Siege or Mugen, make sure the tinker has on high physical resist because trap placement failure causes a bunch of damage.

Before your trap remover begins his/her delicate work, check out their suit and remove the gloves. You won't want to wear them while training remove trap; if you decide to ignore this advice, keep a keen eye on them and pull them off before they poof on you. (Gorgets seem to take some extra damage too from removing traps.) Next check your character's physical resist and make sure it is as high as possible. The trap remover is going to take a lot of damage, more as he advances and starts disarming tougher traps, so he/she needs to have a method of healing. If it will be magery, make sure the suit has enough LRC to not get "you need reagents" messages all the time. You might also want to make sure there's a healer nearby because you will surely get distracted at some point along the way and the trap remover will die from trap damage.

So if you're all set with both the tinker and the trap remover, just start removing the traps one at a time. There's about an 8 second delay between attempts and you will fail a lot. Some failures cause no damage and some do, so keep a close eye on things and keep the trap remover alive. I don't know if dying from a trap will cause skill loss if you are using a VvV character. It used to when you were in factions and made training remove trap even more precarious.

I strongly suggest that if you can do it, you do the training on a character with no other skills besides detect, lock picking, remove trap, magery or healing, and tinkering if you're using the same character. Keep total skills as low as you possibly can to take advantage of the guaranteed gain system. Keep tinkering as close to the same level as the remove trap skill. Get a crystal ball of knowledge if you want to try to train in the Optimal range. If you decide not to train tinkering all the way to GM, you can probably stop at 90 and let the GM tinker you probably already have trap the boxes from that point on. GM-tinker trapped boxes become optimal to use when Remove Trap skill hits 95.1.

Once the publish goes in, you will notice that you'll get nice gains (i.e., sometimes more than .1 per chest, possibly up to around 3.4) from removing traps on treasure chests. You can also get those nice gains, up to a point (not sure exactly what it is) from solving the puzzle training kits. If you want to see those now, there are three stones just next to the scribe shop on the Britain commons where you can get them. You're also supposed to get RT gains from using it on dungeon and town chests, but I am not sure if those gains will be as "accelerated" as the ones from the puzzles or actual treasure chests. Kyronix has indicated the best RT gains will come from using the skill on treasure chests.

Nothing has been announced about eliminating the delay between uses of the remove trap skill, so I think it's still going to be there.

ADDED: If you play on Baja, Origin, or Izumo, you might want to get started on the remove trap training now. I would pull my hair out if I was training remove trap on one of those shards after the publish and there was a revert.
Nice write up! Thanks!
So, after this hits production, we will be able to to train RT without detect hidden? Ty for info.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice write up! Thanks!
So, after this hits production, we will be able to to train RT without detect hidden? Ty for info.
And you won't need lockpicking either, on the character training RT. (You'll still need it on your treasure hunter.)

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
nope, I picked blacksmith, no advance character picks, then I used the token and picked mine five skills I wanted, Remove trap was one of them, I stone all the skills off and next Saturday I will delete that char.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
nope, I picked blacksmith, no advance character picks, then I used the token and picked mine five skills I wanted, Remove trap was one of them, I stone all the skills off and next Saturday I will delete that char.
That's my plan... already bought the 10 points in pinks so those are waiting for the publish.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any chances to open t-chest with zero RT skill?
Yes, but your treasure hunter will have to survive killing a series of "ancient chest guardians" without running more than 16 tiles from the chest or dying. You'll dig up the chest same as usual, unlock it (and hope for no failure to cause a grubber to steal something), and then use remove trap skill (no matter what level it is) and then they will spawn one after another, a few seconds apart, until you either mess up and run too far or die or the chest becomes untrapped. No items are destroyed if you fail the remove trap process multiple times. The "ancient chest guardians" are the same kind of monsters you get in the initial spawn except that they cause a massive burst of fire damage when they spawn, seem to be intensely focused on the treasure hunter, are a dark blue in color, carry no loot/leave no corpse. How many you get of the guardians depends on your remove trap skill. Even at GM skill, they sometimes spawn, especially on the higher level chests.

There is a lot of good info in this thread on the official forum: Pub 105 - Treasure Map Update Release 3

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everyone setting 100 RT.

Well, more specific question - is Cache level maps doable with single char without RT skill?
Be sure to watch Petra's video above of doing a trove map in Malas with a single character. She had 100 RT and still had two of the ancient chest guardians spawn. The part of the video showing the trap removal process starts at about 7:29 and runs through about 9:13. I imagine with a similar character build, you could easily pull off a cache map singlehandedly. But without any RT skill, you would get a succession of the ancient chest guardians, I'm guessing maybe 5 to 7 of them. I do not know if they ever spawn near-simultaneously, or if they only spawn after the previous one has been killed.

And don't forget you no longer need any mining skill. Also, there is no longer a requirement to have detect hidden skill (or lockpicking) to use the remove trap skill. (You still need lockpicking to open the chest, however.)

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Horde at Malas is doable solo with zero RT.
1st use of skill - one guardian did animate dead on corpses and failed attempt because run far away for life.
2nd attempt - two guardians, defeated close to chest.
3rd attempt - zero guardians and success on removing trap.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Horde at Malas is doable solo with zero RT.
1st use of skill - one guardian did animate dead on corpses and failed attempt because run far away for life.
2nd attempt - two guardians, defeated close to chest.
3rd attempt - zero guardians and success on removing trap.
What did you think of the loot?

swampjumper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For years as i played on many shards i made a lp char who did a sequence of chests now tthat char and like ones will be worthless. These chars were never treasur hunters just lockpickers I have to many to rework i say to broadsword look and see what other chars your changes effect before making move and just listening to people who attend a open meeting shouldnt count either. I am yaked down tright furious that my lockpickers are going the way of the dino.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Funny thing, people complained at update one that horde should be spelled hoard. It was fixed for update 2 and has been hoard ever since but no one here seems to have noticed :D

@swampjumper, if your lockpicker wasn't a treasure hunter, why is the character now worthless? Dungeon chests are unchanged.

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry but it is all too difficult for me to understand. I've tryed to read the link of Petra Fyde but it is too difficult for me
I only have 2 questions.
A template fo a t-hunter must have both lockpicking, cartography and remove traps in the same char? Or can i have another char to remove traps?
Thanks for the patience.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
From what I understand only the t-hunter can use the chest.
Ya I tried the two characters when I went to do a level 4 chest on TC, you can see mine posting above about that. I feel this is totally wrong that only one character has to do everything.

Last edited:

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It makes no sense if Kyronix thinks a 'group' is needed but the 'group' cannot actually do anything other than kill monsters. All I can say is that they must not be easily bored.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
It makes no sense if Kyronix thinks a 'group' is needed but the 'group' cannot actually do anything other than kill monsters. All I can say is that they must not be easily bored.
Probably not too bored if they need to dispose of some really really hard guardians just maybe..

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've got a few tables set up to keep track of what it looks like is going to have a chance to spawn in the various levels and themes of chests. Below is a look at classes of loot items by chest level and theme.

Note that the items that seem to spawn consistently, unless there's some kind of a bug or a grubber grabs something because of a lockpicking failure, are the gold and gem bag in all chests; randomly generated equipment in all chests; ingots, boards, or leather in Artisan Stash and Supply chests; refinement components in Artisan Stash chests; essences/abyssal cloth in Ter Mur Artisan Supply chests; ML ingredients in Malas Artisan Supply chests; and reagents in Mage Stash chests. Everything else seems to be optional.

STASH
stash maps 06042019.jpg

SUPPLY
supply maps 06042019.jpg

CACHE
cache maps 06042019.jpg

HORDE
horde maps 06042019.jpg

TROVE
trove maps 06042019.jpg

Below is a look at the randomly generated armor, shields, and weapons by theme. I did not indicate when some items only spawn in specific facets, e.g., samurai and ninja armor, bokutos, gargish armor, etc. There could very well be items missing from this list. I did very few chests in Ilshenar or Eodon that had randomly generated equipment, so things needed to be added for those facets. Also, I only found bone helmets in Ter Mur Mage chests, so I'm not sure where else and in which type(s) of chests the other pieces of bone armor would spawn. Also, the initial round of testing had gargish cloth and leather wing armor showing up in mage and ranger chests, respectively, without any properties on them. Kyronix indicated that at some point those would have properties, but I never found any in this latest round of testing.
armor weapons shields by theme 06042019.jpg

Lastly, SoTs, SoAs, and power scrolls spawn in chests based on the theme of the map/chest. Here is a preliminary and incomplete listing of how skills seem to split up between the themes.
skills 06042019.jpg

These tables are the first three tabs in this spreadsheet: Publish 105 - Treasure Chest Loot .

Attachments

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks. Looks like this will be what we get.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Does it look that it is finalized then about the TH necessary skills? Just Carto and RT? NO Lockpick?
Or are they going back and forth on this?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Wait, I've been away a while. Can someone explain this to me? based on Tina's charts? If I make my Sword and board paladin I can run treasure chests now and get power scrolls?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does it look that it is finalized then about the TH necessary skills? Just Carto and RT? NO Lockpick?
Or are they going back and forth on this?
Assuming nothing changes from this point on with the publish, you will need Cartography to find the chest and Lockpicking to open it. The same character that dug up the chest has to unlock it.

In order to take the trap off the chest, you can either have no Remove Trap skill, some Remove Trap skill, or GM Remove Trap skill on the same character that dug up and unlocked the chest.

To untrap a chest, you can no longer use telekinesis spell or click on the chest and absorb the damage. You have to actively use the Remove Trap skill, no matter how much of the skill your character actually has. Once you use the skill on the chest, you'll get a message about manipulating the trap and then you wait a second or two. If you have GM Remove Trap skill, you might then get another message about the trap being removed and yeah for you, now you can open it and drag stuff out of it and fight monsters that spawn while you empty the chest, just like you always have.

However, sometimes even if you have GM Remove Trap skill and always if you have below a certain amount of it (no one knows for sure, maybe it's 95, maybe it's 90), an "ancient chest guardian" will spawn and cause a big burst of fire damage and you'll have to kill it. And then, depending on your Remove Trap skill, another "ancient chest guardian" will spawn and you'll have to kill it too. You might have to do this a number of times, depending on the level of the chest and your RT skill level. If you die to one of the "ancient chest guardians" or run more than 16 steps away from the chest, you'll have to start the process of trap removal all over again. (Sometimes you have to start over even if neither of those things happened.) The "ancient chest guardians" are a dark blue in color and don't carry any loot. They are of the same type as the spawn that showed up when you dug up the chest. Eventually you should get the message that the trap has been removed and you can loot the chest as usual and kill any mobs that spawn while you do so, just as you always have.

So there you have it: Must have cartography and lockpicking and remove trap is optional if you don't mind killing extra mobs who carry no loot and you usually don't have to run far from the chest to survive.

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wait, I've been away a while. Can someone explain this to me? based on Tina's charts? If I make my Sword and board paladin I can run treasure chests now and get power scrolls?
If your character can also squeeze in cartography and lockpicking (GM of each if you want to do the higher level chests) and you don't mind killing extra stuff that carries no loot. The power scrolls are only 105s and 110s and only have a chance to show up on Horde and Trove chests dug up in Fel (those are the former Ingeniously Drawn and Diabolically Drawn maps). You may also need to swap out your headgear for legendary cartography glasses while you actually dig up the chest in order to make sure it's not a rusty chest.

It looks like someone has been busy updating the Treasure Maps page on the official website, so if you need more information about which monsters carry which maps and what spawns for different levels of maps and in different facets, check here: Treasure Maps – Ultima Online

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You can soulstone off Cart though right? After deciphering the map? And Lockpicking too maybe after unlocking?

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And don't forget you no longer need any mining skill. Also, there is no longer a requirement to have detect hidden skill (or lockpicking) to use the remove trap skill. (You still need lockpicking to open the chest, however.)
This part caught my eye. If I can remove Mining from my skillset I'll have room to train Remove Trap. But can anyone who tried the TC changes tell me how digging up the chest works without GM Mining? Do you still get a digging bonus being in the vicinity of the chest? Do you have to find the exact spot?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This part caught my eye. If I can remove Mining from my skillset I'll have room to train Remove Trap. But can anyone who tried the TC changes tell me how digging up the chest works without GM Mining? Do you still get a digging bonus being in the vicinity of the chest? Do you have to find the exact spot?
Mining that you needed before is now rolled into Cartography so if you have that on your character you'll be fine it'll work just as well as now with Mining only you won't need the mining...

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cartography now provides the digging range bonus previously provided by Mining. So if you have GM+ Cartography when digging, you can dig up the chest from a few tiles away.

You can soulstone off Cart though right? After deciphering the map?
I think you can in principle, but in practice Cartography now also affects the quality of the chest (rusty/standard/golden), so you need to keep Cartography while digging to find golden chests with the best loot.

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks MalagAste and Sir_Bolo for clarifying this change. I was slightly concerned with how to fit yet another skill on my template. This is a relieve.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can soulstone off Cart though right? After deciphering the map? And Lockpicking too maybe after unlocking?
As Sir Bolo said above, you need cartography to find the chest and you will probably want to do supply-level chests until you get a pair of the legendary mapmaker's glasses to wear during the digging process. (The cartography bonus on them will range from +1 to +5 and I think there's a gargoyle version, probably from supply chests in Ter Mur.)

Do you plan to not have remove trap skill? If yes, I'm not sure there would be any advantage to soulstoning cartography and lock picking before disarming the trap. You will use cartography to find and dig up the chest. Bunch of monsters will spawn and you will have to kill all of them before you can use lockpicking to unlock the chest. If you decide to not train remove trap skill, you will still go through the motions of using remove trap skill to set off the process of getting the trap off the chest, even though you don't have any skill. A sequence of monsters called "ancient chest guardians" will spawn that are the same as the ones you had to kill to be able to unlock the chest. So if you could kill the initial wave of monsters with cartography and lockpicking squeezed into your template, you should be able to kill the "ancient chest guardians" too with cartography and lockpicking still squeezed into your template. You'll just have to be prepared for the fact that they do a burst of fire damage when they spawn and you have to stay in the area of the chest while killing them. Also, after killing that initial wave and then unlocking the chest and chasing down any grubbers from lockpicking failures, you'd have to wait out the combat timer before you could use the soulstone. They seem to have shortened the time the chest will stick around, but I don't know how long they last. There are fewer items in them now, so it doesn't take as long to loot them, however.

If you're planning to do maps with your warrior to get power scrolls, go to the Britain mint in Felucca and use the stones there to get some horde and trove maps. Give the system a few minutes to update the coordinates on them right after you get them. I have a Davies' Locker set to public at my house that is NE of Britain (Trammel) as well as portals and some runebooks (red ones are Fel overland locations). The public locker is the one in front of my character in the image below. There's also a commodity deed box and some empty bags near the soulforge that are set for public use as well in case you decide to make something while you're on TC and don't want to set up a house.
olivias house on tc and glasses.jpg

I highly recommend you copy your character and soulstone(s) over and give it a shot just so you know. This is a pretty big change.

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mining that you needed before is now rolled into Cartography so if you have that on your character you'll be fine it'll work just as well as now with Mining only you won't need the mining...
This is cool because I can use the 100 points of mining that I have now for adding another skill. Thanks

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So there you have it: Must have cartography and lockpicking and remove trap is optional if you don't mind killing extra mobs who carry no loot and you usually don't have to run far from the chest to survive.
Ok, now i've understood :). So i can not to change my template because I can remove my 100 mining and add remove traps. Thanks!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, now i've understood :). So i can not to change my template because I can remove my 100 mining and add remove traps. Thanks!
You may want to try the levels of maps you like to do on TC without having any remove trap skill. See if you don't mind killing the lootless monsters that spawn when you start the trap disarm process. If you don't mind killing the "ancient chest guardians," then you don't need to train remove trap skill, or maybe can get by with less remove trap skill.

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You may want to try the levels of maps you like to do on TC without having any remove trap skill. See if you don't mind killing the lootless monsters that spawn when you start the trap disarm process. If you don't mind killing the "ancient chest guardians," then you don't need to train remove trap skill, or maybe can get by with less remove trap skill.
No, i don't mind to kill the ancient guardian if it don' kill me :(
I prefer having all skills that I have now. The only thing is how strong is this monster and if I can open the chest whithout die. I'll try to the TC. Thanks for all :)

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
NO!. And that is the part that hurts : You need to have Carto 100 or better (glasses?), Lockpick 100, AND Remove Trap 100, ALL ON the Thunter at the time of the Dig, to get some decent chance for decent loot and stuff.
THAT IS 300 EXTRA POINTS!!! >==========> WTF ??

I.E. the swapping bit we used to do with carto and Davies, no longer works? (That saved us 100 points on the Thunter). So with this update IF you want some decent loot, now: 300 points of skills.
OOH! Don't forget you will also need a GOB of luck on suit on top of all that?

??:pie:??

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
have a really basic training question cause things are tight on my TH.... after getting detect and lockpick each to 50 skill then remove trap training can start, so my question is - after beginning RT training can I then stone off those 50 detect points?

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, but your treasure hunter will have to survive killing a series of "ancient chest guardians" without running more than 16 tiles from the chest or dying. You'll dig up the chest same as usual, unlock it (and hope for no failure to cause a grubber to steal something), and then use remove trap skill (no matter what level it is) and then they will spawn one after another, a few seconds apart, until you either mess up and run too far or die or the chest becomes untrapped. No items are destroyed if you fail the remove trap process multiple times. The "ancient chest guardians" are the same kind of monsters you get in the initial spawn except that they cause a massive burst of fire damage when they spawn, seem to be intensely focused on the treasure hunter, are a dark blue in color, carry no loot/leave no corpse. How many you get of the guardians depends on your remove trap skill. Even at GM skill, they sometimes spawn, especially on the higher level chests.

There is a lot of good info in this thread on the official forum: Pub 105 - Treasure Map Update Release 3
This is just so ridiculously stupid. I can't even being to comment here.

For what its worth I've been doing nothing but T-maps trying to get the 6's and 7's done before the publish hits because this BS is making t-hunting even LESS of a group sport and oh so stupid.
I read your awesome write up on how to gain remove trap and it makes me sick to my stomach to think about sitting around for hours untrapping boxes so I can just get back to where I am now - which is able to T-Hunt.

Imagine they told you imbuing skill is now trash and to imbue items you have to GM camping. You ruined a character style for no reason. Literally no reason.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is just so ridiculously stupid. I can't even being to comment here.

For what its worth I've been doing nothing but T-maps trying to get the 6's and 7's done before the publish hits because this BS is making t-hunting even LESS of a group sport and oh so stupid.
I read your awesome write up on how to gain remove trap and it makes me sick to my stomach to think about sitting around for hours untrapping boxes so I can just get back to where I am now - which is able to T-Hunt.

Imagine they told you imbuing skill is now trash and to imbue items you have to GM camping. You ruined a character style for no reason. Literally no reason.
Yeah, I'm sick of training remove trap. I finished on Origin earlier this week and am at 77.8 RT and 80 tinkering on Sonoma. Only good thing about it is getting some books read at the same time. But sometimes I get so absorbed in reading the book I forget to disarm traps. I keep trying to tell myself to just read one sentence and then do a trap. Sometimes I forget which box I was going to do next and waste time finding my place again. It's so boring. I started keeping track of my gains this time around and using a crystal ball of knowledge to try to stay in the optimal zone.

I don't have this completely mapped out yet, but this is what I think Tinkering skill has to be when you set the traps in order to get the optimal challenge for Remove Trap gains:

Remove Trap Skill 31.0 to 35.0: for optimal challenge, Tinkering has to be 30.1 (highly recommended to wear a tinkering talisman at this stage) to 35.0
Remove Trap Skill 35.1 to 45.0: for optimal challenge, Tinkering has to be 40.1 to 45.0;
Remove Trap Skill 45.1 to 55.0: for optimal challenge, Tinkering has to be 50.1 to 55.0
Remove Trap Skill 55.1 to 65.0: for optimal challenge, Tinkering has to be 60.1 to 65.0
Remove Trap Skill 65.1 to 75.0: for optimal challenge, Tinkering has to be 70.1 to 75.0
Remove Trap Skill 75.1 to 85.0: for optimal challenge, Tinkering has to be 80.1 to 85.0
Remove Trap Skill 85.1 to 95.0: for optimal challenge, Tinkering has to be 90.1 to 95.0
Remove Trap Skill 95.1 to 100.0: for easy challenge, use GM-tinkered boxes.

You still get gains if you're in the "easy" range or in the "challenging" range.

I kept track of resources used this time around and so far it's looking like this:

31 remove trap to 40 remove trap: Used about 700 ingots and 600 bolts.
40 remove trap to 45 remove trap: 222 ingots and 147 bolts
45 remove trap to 50 remove trap: 200 ingots and 200 bolts
50 remove trap to 55 remove trap: 228 ingots and 253 bolts
55 remove trap to 60 remove trap: 386 ingots and 240 bolts
60 remove trap to 65 remove trap: 352 ingots and 263 bolts
65 remove trap to 70 remove trap: 601 ingots and 279 bolts
70 remove trap to 75 remove trap: 719 ingots and 352 bolts (grand totals to this point of 3408 ingots and 2334 bolts)

ADDED 6/16 AS AN UPDATE:
75 to 80 remove trap: 701 ingots and 429 bolts
80 to 85 remove trap: 3553 ingots and 565 bolts
85 to 90 remove trap: 1229 ingots and 370 bolts (grand totals to 90 RT are 8891 ingots and 3698 bolts)

Setting dart traps will put you in the following ranges at these levels of tinkering skill:
Very challenging - 30 to 40.0
Challenging - 40.1 to 50.0
Optimal - 50.1 to 60.0
Easy - 60.1 to 70.0
Very easy - 70.1 to 80.0
Too easy - 80.1 and up

You have to tinker stuff at points along the way to raise tinkering skill before and after setting traps doesn't give good tinkering gains, so I made tinker tools early in the process, then lockpicks, and at the point now that I'll make different kinds of jewelry and using the talisman again, off and on, until I hit 90.0 tinkering. After that I'll use my GM tinker to do the rest of the trapping, although it will be "challenging" for a while until RT reaches 95.1.

No one is probably interested in this. However, keeping track of it helped keeping me from getting too bored. LOL

Last edited: