• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

let's talk about the EC

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Third Dawn was ugly as sin, but had some massive improvements over the CC. Zooming, backpacks, particle effects, all the emotes...DANCING...

But the polygon count was laughably low and most meshes were fuggles.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Yes there were some features that sucked (notable glacial hues were that ugly dark blue) and the organization in CC vs 3D. But I miss the container styles (I could actually organize the way I wanted) and I didn’t feel the need to squint to see everything like I do now.
But I started out on 3D and didn’t use Classic until they shut it down. So I’m biased.

Belmarduk

Adventurer
Am i the only one who preferred the 3D client before KR?

Yes?

I’ll just sit in my corner now.
No me too - I was REALLY pissed when they turned 3D off - KR was not playable at the time so in the end I took a 10 year break

EC is the lesser of 2 evils and playable - I could never get used to CC - Its unplayable and absolutley horrendious graphics - there were games with better graphics in the beginning of the 90s

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The ec is just fuzzy nonsense. Some dungeons, t2a, etc you can't see how to walk up a ramp/elevated ground area in order to exit or go to another section of the land. If I didn't play cc for years, it would be ridiculous. As it is now, I know where the stupid ramp part is, but a few times I'll have a hard time making my stupid toon go up it.

I pvp on my dexer in ec, i'll craft in ec, I'll loot tmaps in ec.....everything else, it pretty much sucks sack.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We had dancing?! How did I miss that? :eek:
Yes in 3D there were quite a few emotes - some were quite funny
Indeed. There were several dance moves, blowing kisses, waving, fainting etc. Not all of them were very good, but it was more than the sad two we have now.

I found two vids of the dancing. The resolution sucks, but you can see two of the dance moves:

There used to be a video of all the moves, but it looks like it was taken down :(

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Oh that was so funny, like UO does Riverdance! I only vaguely remember how that client looked, but I know I did play it at some point.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What is everything else? Fishing? Bank sitting? Maybe pvp on a mage i guess but even that is way faster on EC.
Yeah. Mage and stealther in pvp, sampire spawns, exodus, etc etc. Everything but what I mentioned in cc.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I remember 3D... I loved a lot of the emotes but more than anything I loved that you could actually rotate your paperdoll... so you could see what you were wearing from every direction... it was awesome... I wish the EC had that.

I remember you could make your character fall down... wave, beacon someone to come hither... You could make your character jump up and down waving your arms... and many other things.

I also remember KR and how it took the beautiful rich mahogany looking walls from the Tokuno set and made them look like some god awful old barn.... how chests in KR were like swayback mules... was horrible... and how it was almost impossible to tell trees from the grass the ground was just a mash of textures you couldn't see where you were... Some of the plants were nice but others looked like stick figures... and much of the textures looked like one of those paintings made out of thousands of tiny dots...

But the EC needs a ton of work... however I just don't think anyone at Broadsword has a clue how to fix it. At this point I don't think they know how to do lots of things... and all they seem to want to do is just add in some art here and there and make everything else a big boring grind. But honestly, they just don't have the staff to do anything really challenging.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
they just don't have the staff to do anything really challenging.
And I jsut don't really understand this completely. It's code. Once written, it's forever. It doesn't decay, it doesn't wear out. IT isnt like a house where if you have 5 people 4 of them have to keep painting it, replacing rotten wood, putting down new floors, because it wears out. Once written, it should be forever.

So if we have 5 on a team, then 5 people should be able to bring new stuffs fairly often. Because stuff brought in in the past is there, it doesn't need maintenance,e tc etc.

I guess I will never understand this.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And I jsut don't really understand this completely. It's code. Once written, it's forever. It doesn't decay, it doesn't wear out. IT isnt like a house where if you have 5 people 4 of them have to keep painting it, replacing rotten wood, putting down new floors, because it wears out. Once written, it should be forever.

So if we have 5 on a team, then 5 people should be able to bring new stuffs fairly often. Because stuff brought in in the past is there, it doesn't need maintenance,e tc etc.

There are two people who code. As I understand it, Bleak does the clients and some systems while Kyronix does content and some systems.

A lot of UO's code wasn't written with good practices in mind, most was rushed and rife with soppy corner-cutting. That makes older systems fragile and less likely to accept new grafts, content or overhauls (without completely gutting and replacing).

UO is like trying to build a new city on top of an ancient one without an accurate map or survey. You could be building something on top of hidden faults or chasms.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

as Dot said, most of the code are pages and pages of text without comments and there is noone left around who knows what it does...

In the last year I've started the rework of my UI, rebuilding all the scripts, cleaning the code, etc..., and even tho I've written the code, certain systems just need to be rebuilt from scratch, (because now there are functions that were not available then and I can simplify the code a lot with that), but still, even then I have to spend weeks to do that.

Now imagine a 25 years old code, handled by dozens of different people, thousands of lines that you have no idea of what it does... In order to rework it you'll have to study the code, learn what it does (EXACTLY or you risk to mess things up), and then you have to take pen and paper and design a new routine and hope that by making a new one you don't destroy some dependency somewhere else in the rest of the code....
So yes, with a copuple of people you can rework the code, but it will take weeks to learn what it does (hoping that it has been written linearly otherwise you could spend days bashing your head on the wall trying to understand certain parts...), then you'll have to spend more weeks writing the new code, testing it, and when you're done you have just updated a tiny part of the game, a tiny part that probably noone will notice because the other thousand parts will still cause troubles...

In a year of reworks, I've done barely half of the UI, and I have only the UI to take care, how long do you think 2 people can take to rework the entire 25 years old client without neglecting new contents, and other bugs fixes? and how much do you think they are going to earn from all that work (because in the end this is what they are working for...)?
It will take at least a couple of years (if they work their fingers to the bones), and the players won't care because visually it won't make a difference and there will be more bugs (because new system always comes with new bugs)... so in the end they might even lose players because stuff doesn't work anymore :D

That's why I keep saying that would be cheaper to create a brand new client than reworking the old ones.... :p

Guerry

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Maybe just some simple stuff like;
Option to dont load houses.
Option for short walls so we can see whats goingon at grinder fights.
Fix Smart target to actually work.
Fix Walls in Despise bridge,

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They need to find the memory leak... which causes the lag.

They need to fix the Circle of Transparency to not suck...

They need to fix the graphics because what was the point of adding those nice new Nightmares if we can't see them???

They need to quit trying to repair the broken CC and or fix the CC so that people can't use all those illegal 3rd party programs with it... for starters, they can take away the "Follow" option since people in the EC can't follow people either that would ruin a bunch of the scripts... And make things slightly better.

They could put more of the CC graphics (even though that would be hideously ugly)... into the EC as an option so more CC users could get over their hang-up about the EC sprites... and switch so they can focus on ONE client.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Maybe they think the majority still play the CC, not sure how though since the poll a year or so ago on their own forum showed it was getting close to 50/50. I often feel the EC is like the red-headed step-child, there is so much hate :(

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So should myself and others who have played UO for 20+ years be punished for using the original client that the game was released on?

I think EC is awful and I would close my accounts before I played on it. If I wanted EC then I would have switched to EverQuest or WoW. I play for content not for 3D graphics. I also have absolutely zero issues with lag (except at EM gatherings) and I'm just on regular cable internet with a 7 year old Dell. Don't try to push your crappy EC on me and I won't try to push my crappy CC on you! :D

That being said, I do think that functionality should be the same in both so it really only is graphic preference.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So should myself and others who have played UO for 20+ years be punished for using the original client that the game was released on?

I think EC is awful and I would close my accounts before I played on it. If I wanted EC then I would have switched to EverQuest or WoW. I play for content not for 3D graphics. I also have absolutely zero issues with lag (except at EM gatherings) and I'm just on regular cable internet with a 7 year old Dell. Don't try to push your crappy EC on me and I won't try to push my crappy CC on you! :D

That being said, I do think that functionality should be the same in both so it really only is graphic preference.
It doesn't have 3d graphics... not even close... most if it is still the graphics from the CC... So quit crying about that.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The EC is not KR, it doesn't look anything like KR and it's also not 3D, I thought all those things until I tried it, then I realised I had actually been making my hands sore for nothing, it only looks fuzzy if you zoom in, otherwise it's not much different. Also I don't remember calling anyone's chosen client 'crappy'...

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It doesn't have 3d graphics... not even close... most if it is still the graphics from the CC... So quit crying about that.
@MalagAste - It's truly funny that YOU of all people are accusing someone of crying when that is literally all I see you do on any thread I read. You seem to whine and cry so much (about EVERYTHING) that I will literally only skim a few lines of anything you write now because it's just endless whining about anything/everything that isn't suited to YOU.

Also... I don't think I was actually crying at all but simply commenting based on previous comments... just because my comments are in opposition to what you want doesn't make them crying or whining.

If you would actually read what I wrote I didn't say EC is 3D graphics. I said I play for content not 3D graphics. I guess you need that broken down for you. I play for the content of UO and adventures of the game and not for newer "enhanced" art or graphics. If I wanted a game for it's graphics I'd go buy the newest game for Xbox/Playstation.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@MalagAste - It's truly funny that YOU of all people are accusing someone of crying when that is literally all I see you do on any thread I read. You seem to whine and cry so much (about EVERYTHING) that I will literally only skim a few lines of anything you write now because it's just endless whining about anything/everything that isn't suited to YOU.

Also... I don't think I was actually crying at all but simply commenting based on previous comments... just because my comments are in opposition to what you want doesn't make them crying or whining.

If you would actually read what I wrote I didn't say EC is 3D graphics. I said I play for content not 3D graphics. I guess you need that broken down for you. I play for the content of UO and adventures of the game and not for newer "enhanced" art or graphics. If I wanted a game for it's graphics I'd go buy the newest game for Xbox/Playstation.
You know I used to feel the same way about her, but lately she has started growing on me and I'm not sure why. Perhaps I'm desperate for someone to like me.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You know I used to feel the same way about her, but lately she has started growing on me and I'm not sure why. Perhaps I'm desperate for someone to like me.
:D

Or are you just trying to butter her up so that she lets you close enough to snoop her backpack and make off with all her valuables?!? ;)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
WRONG Everything for the EC was converted to or drawn in 2.5D or you would not be able to use ZOOM

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
WRONG Everything for the EC was converted to or drawn in 2.5D or you would not be able to use ZOOM
It was but then they reverted most of it to the CC stuff and it looks like hell when you zoom...

Though they have put the more enhanced ground tiles back in... most the rest is the same CC stuff ... just uglier since you can zoom it.

Sprites and the ground are the only things that are "Enhanced"... everything else is CC...

Now if they made a toggle where you all could have the CC sprites that would probably make most of you happier...

Most of the artwork they did for KR is not being used. Which well is good for a lot of it since it sucked so bad.

Meat Elemental

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why uo is slowly dying... People who started playing on cc don't want to switch... New players with high end computers aren't going to play a game on a 800x600 windowed screen.... When new players ask a question on using the EC they are told to use the cc.... I'll enjoy the ride here while it lasts....

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why uo is slowly dying... People who started playing on cc don't want to switch... New players with high end computers aren't going to play a game on a 800x600 windowed screen.... When new players ask a question on using the EC they are told to use the cc.... I'll enjoy the ride here while it lasts....

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Total mis-information but good try, maybe you should get you facts straight first.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I've said it before ... I'm 71 YO and my eyes cannot handle the EC graphics. I use the CC with the 800x600 window and alter screen resolution before I start up. Works fine for me. The only use I have for the EC is the zoom ability when I am taking screenies of something. That's it.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
my eyes cannot handle the EC graphics.
Some think this is something we make up to dis the EC. Some EC screenshots give me an instant headache. I have played on line video games since the 80s and no other games have this effect.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My guess is because it's blurry... Which tends to happen when you zoom things that shouldn't be zoomed. ie most the stuff in the EC... that was from the CC.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've said it before ... I'm 71 YO and my eyes cannot handle the EC graphics. I use the CC with the 800x600 window and alter screen resolution before I start up. Works fine for me. The only use I have for the EC is the zoom ability when I am taking screenies of something. That's it.
I'm 78 and CC gives me the same problem as you are talking about in the EC. I changed 3 or 4 years ago and I guarantee you my graphics are better than any CC. You just have to go by Pinco's suggestions on settings and some on your own, takes awhile I know but worth it in the long run. Oh, and it helps if you are using a good (not great) video card with a decent monitor and the proper settings on both. And the movement of EC is smoooooth compared to CC if you have a good ISP.

My suggestion to everyone is play whichever version you want but don't just knock one or the other because you don't have the settings correct.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Some think this is something we make up to dis the EC. Some EC screenshots give me an instant headache. I have played on line video games since the 80s and no other games have this effect.
I teethed on Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem and others. MMO-wise I beta'd The Realm (Sierra Online) when it first came on the scene and from then on have been gaming in one venue or another. I've done my share of alpha and beta tests of games, browsers, productivity software.

... <snip> ... My suggestion to everyone is play whichever version you want but don't just knock one or the other because you don't have the settings correct.
Funny ... really. If you read some of the posts before ours, you'll see folks wanting to get rid of the CC because no one playtes it or "why does Broadsword still keep it?" statements. Like the Fel/Tram crap ... it ain't gonna die until UO does. But I agree and to each their own. I simply stated why *I* cannot handle EC. <shrug>

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like both clients but can't use the ec one I got a doctor's note
Kimberly
can not use the ec client cuz she kisses the floor everytime she does
sign,
her doctor

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Funny ... really. If you read some of the posts before ours, you'll see folks wanting to get rid of the CC because no one playtes it or "why does Broadsword still keep it?" statements. Like the Fel/Tram crap ... it ain't gonna die until UO does. But I agree and to each their own. I simply stated why *I* cannot handle EC. <shrug>
It's funny that there are a handful of people do say we should get rid of CC (and think it's acceptable) but as soon as someone on CC knocks EC they get all bent out of shape about it. I agree 100% with you to each their own. I prefer CC but I am fine that people want to use EC... just don't try to push it on me by knocking my preferred client :D

Side note... a quick shout out to the 70+ year old players holding it down in UO! Awesome to see it! I can't help but to think these are the guys owning the UO market grinding through every arc day in and day out during their hours upon hours of retirement!! lol :p

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The pendulum has swung back now, there used to be an overwhelming amount of support of the CC over the EC and those conversations where a lot more heated than in this :bdh: thread. CC forever!11