• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Atlantic] Bone to pick with governor's

Nash

Sage
so we currently have 5 of the 9 towns with the swing speed town bonus i can name them, yew, jhelom, vesper, trinsic, and britain this is nuts i would really like one of those towns switch to hit chance increase if possible i dont see why we need 5 towns with the same thing

Malee

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The next Atlantic Governor's Meeting is March 28th at 9 Est. It is located in the throne room of Blackthorn's Castle. All citizens are welcome to attend and usually after the Governor's speak there is a time for citizens to voice their concerns. Remember, it does cost 2 million gold a week to have the trade deal and alot of governor's use their own gold for it. Speaking calmly, offering to help pay, or offering ideas to help raise money will go a long way with them being open to considering a change.

Jennifer-Marie

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
-- Great Lakes has the same problem: 9 cities, 9 governors and only 4 city buffs being used.

Britain uses the Spell Damage Increase 5% buff.
Moonglow and Minoc use the Mana Regen 2 buff.
Skara Brae, Jhelom, and Yew use the Faster Casting buff.
New Magincia, Trinsic, and Vesper use the Swing Speed Increase 5% buff.

There are 13 (13!) city buffs to choose from. A town with Hit Chance Increase would be fantastic ... or a town that utilizes the Bandage Bonus buff for tamers.

I'm given (and was given even when I, myself, was a governor) many excuses as to why this happens: people loyal to town want certain buffs or the names of the buffs lead the governors to believe they're just for crafters ... except there is a handy, dandy UOGuide page that explains what each trade deal is and the names have nothing to do with what the buff is.

It's kind of insane. Or lazy.

Jennifer-Marie

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
... it would be nice if the devs made it so that each trade deal can only be used once on each shard. If a town is already utilizing the FC1 buff, then no one other governor can choose that buff.

Zoogi

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Mez like da idea ub unly habin 1 buff per town. Da sekund sumwun sayz anyting aboot chanjin uh buff n hummiez git all wild n crazy. Der wuz 1 gobenor ub uh town dat wuz thredened in RL ober der stoopid town buff. Mez alzo dun git y anywun wood pay der plat fur der sootz n need der town buff ta make ser soot werk. Der iz sum crappy buffz dat nowun wood yooz. But ad leazt 9 dipperent buffz wood gib uh bedder selekshun ub da 9 bezt wunz.
N ware iz diz cake yooz tawkin aboot!!!!!

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The buffs have been the #1 bone of contention for years.

The idea of limiting the buffs would ultimately be counterproductive to the system as a whole, further eroding what few hard-coded RP opportunities exist while pissing players off.

The reason for this is multifold. One part is that a few buffs allow suits to be built around a "temporary" stat increase* which the player doesn't really have to earn in any meaningful way (i.e. most players don't contribute to city coffers). The negative aspect to RP is that a character's home/favorite/etc city isn't sponsoring a buff which benefits their playstyle. (* such as the desireable FC 1 and +5 SSI)

EX: You play an archer who has an affinity for Skara Brae. The current SB buff is +5 SDI...not useful to you. You would benefit more from +5 SSI or HCI. Do you switch loyalty to another city for a buff which benefits you, or do you remain loyal to your city and not partake of a buff?

This also brings up the question of how is the buff selection made to begin with? Is it a governor's unilateral decision, or the result of a ballot box (with only a binary choice :coco:)? From personal experience, most players ignore a governor-placed ballot box, making the vote less than representative (we're lucky to get 5 votes).

The best option to remedy the situation is to completely restructure the buff system and remove it from a governor's whims. Allow citizens to choose their own buff as they desire as long as there is X amount of gold in the city treasury, with each use of the buff charging a small amount of gold (10-50K per use, 24-hour duration, no cooldown). Everyone gets what they want and the city has a continual revenue stream from those who use the buffs. The one caveat I'd include is that the city must have a governor for a buff to be available.

The current system doesn't encourage "loyalty" by any definition of the word.