• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tactics or Extra HP

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I am training my very first Black Cu that I tamed on Atlantic. He’s overall on the weaker side of things (7856 total intensity), but he is mine. I want to get the most out of him as a standard AI-Chiv build. I’m going to use all 120 scrolls except possibly Tactics. Knowing I am points limited, I have a question:

Which is more important?

- 120 Tactics and 625 HP
or
- 675 HP and 105 Tactics?

There is a middle of the road option for 110/115 Tactics, but trying to find the sweet spot and want to get this guy right. Thanks for your thoughts. I feel like the extra damage from the Tactics is minimal, but at the same time will an extra 50 HP save me from disaster? Probably not. Seeking your thoughts/wisdom. Thanks!

-OBSIDIAN-

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I am training my very first Black Cu that I tamed on Atlantic. He’s overall on the weaker side of things (7856 total intensity), but he is mine. I want to get the most out of him as a standard AI-Chiv build. I’m going to use all 120 scrolls except possibly Tactics. Knowing I am points limited, I have a question:

Which is more important?

- 120 Tactics and 625 HP
or

There is a middle of the road option for 110/115 Tactics, but trying to find the sweet spot and want to get this guy right. Thanks for your thoughts. I feel like the extra damage from the Tactics is minimal, but at the same time will an extra 50 HP save me from disaster? Probably not. Seeking your thoughts/wisdom. Thanks!

-OBSIDIAN-
Honestly the difference in damage between scrolled and unscrolled Tactics is very minimal. Some people just like to Min/Max, some people think a pet is total crap without all 120s (even if the pet is poorly trained). It is perfectly acceptable to drop tactics to a lower level to save on points, or cost investment for a pet (I do it all the time).

I would suggest at minimum a 105 Tactics scroll, just so you don't lose the damage bonus at 100 Tactics from the pet dying.

All things equal, here is how the damage would look with a Chiv/AI Pet:

120 Tactics: 99-136 Damage Armor Ignore, 180-248 Damage Armor Ignore with Enemy of One
100 Tactics: 97-134 Damage Armor Ignore, 176-244 Damage Armor Ignore with Enemy of One

If money/scroll cost is not a concern for you and it is just a question of would you rather have 120/625 or 675/105, the 120 Tactics is probably the better option. Personally I'd probably just toss a 110 on it and save 100 points so I had the option to add 120 later if I wanted.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Which is more important?

- 120 Tactics and 625 HP
or

-OBSIDIAN-
Dont add HP till the end. You always have 265 points left in the final round. That would add 88HP.

Follow the guide and you will have satisfaction guaranteed.

Choosing points for a Cu slot 3 to 4. 1st points allocation

SouthPaw

Lore Master
For pets that I scroll, I just add a 105 tactics. Like Khryo pointed out, the difference is very minimal. I'd rather have higher HP.

Only exception is for pre-patch pets or very rare pets, like a Blaze Cu. Always full 120 scroll those types of pets.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Thanks all. Well, here is what I'm going to do. I'm going to scroll my black Cu with a 105 Tactics and put on 625 HP. I'll leave sufficient points for either option. Then I'll get out there and test him. If I feel I need the HP then I will add them. If I think he is sufficiently survivable then I will add the 120 Tactics for more DPS.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thanks all. Well, here is what I'm going to do. I'm going to scroll my black Cu with a 105 Tactics and put on 625 HP. I'll leave sufficient points for either option. Then I'll get out there and test him. If I feel I need the HP then I will add them. If I think he is sufficiently survivable then I will add the 120 Tactics for more DPS.
Wise choice. That's what I often suggest to people who are on the fence about two different directions like that.

Some people just don't feel their pet is complete without full 120s (it would probably affect resale desirability a bit too).

I have pets with as low as 300 hit points, so I don't find the need to have a bunch of health on pets for a lot of content. But that is due to my play style and capability.