• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

a change in Poisoning recently??

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Last month I stood in my house and cast poison on my cue to facilitate training healing. I have 80 poisoning and 120 magery. This is the equivalent to having GM poisoning when casting poison.
I use to be able to cast poison and my pet would "spasm uncontrollably". That was before they fixed poison on pets. I am thrilled my fire beetle now casts lethal poison. But I want my lethal back.
And yes I am standing beside him within 1 square
I want him to "spasm uncontrollably" again.... not just be "wracked with extreme pain"

Anyone else noticing that?

Last edited:

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is within 2 tile... I thought you had to have gm poison for that...120 magery was just bigger chance.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is within 2 tile... I thought you had to have gm poison for that...120 magery was just bigger chance.
no Mandrake once again you are mistaken.... the formula is (poison skill + magery)/2 so (80+ 120)/2... =100 same as GM.
and since 1 tile is in fact closer than 2 tiles... I have that issue covered ( and for the record you have to be within 3 tiles)
and... at 80 I should have an 80% chance to cast lethal within 3 tiles...at least.
2 hours this morning.... not a single lethal

Something is different

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The formula for determining the level of poison inflicted on a target is Magery + Poisoning / 2 =
  • less than 65.1 = level 1 poison
  • 65.1 to 85 = level 2 poison
  • 85.1 to 99.9 = level 3 poison
  • 100 and higher = level 4 poisoning (i.e., Deadly)

As of Publish 71, poison strength reduces with range instead of dropping to 1 at ranges 3 or greater. Also, players having more than 100.0 skill in both Poisoning and Magery have a 10% chance to inflict lethal poison at distance of less than 3 tiles. A successful Magic Resistcauses the spell to have no effect.

Poison (Spell) - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

I see they state less than 3 tiles, aint that 2 tiles?

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Sigh* well let's see..... you spent a week telling everyone on Catskills that I am not ME. Even when your guild and my real life friends promised you I was in fact me.
secondly you freaked out half the tamers in the game with a false report of a crippling bug on PrePatch Nightmares.
lastly your misinformation about poisoning.... so as harsh as that is

I stand by my original observation... you are mistaken again

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no Mandrake once again you are mistaken.... the formula is (poison skill + magery)/2 so (80+ 120)/2... =100 same as GM.
and since 1 tile is in fact closer than 2 tiles... I have that issue covered ( and for the record you have to be within 3 tiles)
and... at 80 I should have an 80% chance to cast lethal within 3 tiles...at least.
2 hours this morning.... not a single lethal

Something is different
"You -must- have GM poisoning to cast Lethal Poison."

SOURCE

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For the first part - im not sure what you are talking about - and for the nightmare, that was just what happend, still have few to train - but wont do anything before test is up.

And - I stated nothing about poisoning, except its within 2 tiles, or less than 3 tiles as the wiki says. I cant see anything wrong about that.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"You -must- have GM poisoning to cast Lethal Poison."

SOURCE
Djad that infor is from 2012.... I think this is more recent

Poisoning – Ultima Online

it goes on to say...
  • With Magery – it defines the strength of the mage spells ‘poison’ and ‘poison field’. Poison spell must be cast within 3 tiles of the victim to attain full potency. Formula – [Magery + Poisoning]÷2
and

The most severe poison, possible only for high level poisoners. A warrior with 80 poisoning has a 80% chance to inflict lethal poison, a warrior with 100 poisoning has a 100% chance to inflict lethal poison.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*Sigh* well let's see..... you spent a week telling everyone on Catskills that I am not ME. Even when your guild and my real life friends promised you I was in fact me.
secondly you freaked out half the tamers in the game with a false report of a crippling bug on PrePatch Nightmares.
lastly your misinformation about poisoning.... so as harsh as that is

I stand by my original observation... you are mistaken again
Who were you if you were not you? Were you me?

The UO wiki says within 3 tiles so that is more than 2. Also less than 4 for those keeping up.

Poison spell must be cast within 3 tiles of the victim to attain full potency. Formula – [Magery + Poisoning]÷2

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So Pawain.... do you agree that with 120 magery and 80 poisoning... all natural skills I should be able to cast lethal poison at least 80% of the time?

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So Pawain.... do you agree that with 120 magery and 80 poisoning... all natural skills I should be able to cast lethal poison at least 80% of the time?
Yes it should according to the wiki... and its 2 different sources saying less than 3 tiles and other say within 3 tiles. I did only read uoguide.com

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think your mistaking poison magery spell formula for the infectious strike which would have a 80% chance to boost the poison by 1 level (lethal) at 80 poisoning.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Im only here because I found a link. I'm not going to do any math.

Also the within 3 tiles changes to 2 tiles for a higher chance.

Deadly Poison – Level 4
The highest level of poison that can be made by an alchemist (minimum skill 90). Mages of GM skill and higher, with GM poisoning will cast at this level, with a 10% chance to inflict lethal poison at distance of less than 3 tiles. Poison strength reduces with range. Warriors with Poisoning skill 60.0 – 100.0 you can inflict level 4 with a % chance of level 5.

The Lethal description sounds like it is for potions put on weapons. It does not mention Mages:

Lethal Poison – Level 5
The most severe poison, possible only for high level poisoners. A warrior with 80 poisoning has a 80% chance to inflict lethal poison, a warrior with 100 poisoning has a 100% chance to inflict lethal poison.

Yall can have fun with this.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The formula for determining the level of poison inflicted on a target is Magery + Poisoning / 2 =
  • less than 65.1 = level 1 poison
  • 65.1 to 85 = level 2 poison
  • 85.1 to 99.9 = level 3 poison
  • 100 and higher = level 4 poisoning (i.e., Deadly)

As of Publish 71, poison strength reduces with range instead of dropping to 1 at ranges 3 or greater. Also, players having more than 100.0 skill in both Poisoning and Magery have a 10% chance to inflict lethal poison at distance of less than 3 tiles. A successful Magic Resistcauses the spell to have no effect.

Poison (Spell) - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

I see they state less than 3 tiles, aint that 2 tiles?
Dude publish 71 came out in 2011. I dont think Lethal poison even existed then...... LOL

Do you have any idea how many changes have occurred since then? UO Guide is wrong and out of date.
I believe the best source for the information is UO wiki

and that clearly states I should be casting lethal poison 80% of the time.

And so far today..... not a single one.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
In the link Pawain provided

"Deadly poison- lvl 4, Mages of GM skill and higher, with GM poisoning will cast at this level, with a 10% chance to inflict lethal poison at distance of less than 3 tiles. Poison strength reduces with range. "

Here is where the info about mages ends, lethal poison 80% is about warriors, using a weapon.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
120 Magery+80 Poisoning = Deadly Poison (Lvl 4) 100% of the time when within 3 tiles. It's never inflicted Lethal Poison (Level 5). Only when GM Poisoning+GM Magery does it gain a 10% chance to inflict Lethal Poison. Casting Evil Omen on the target prior, halves the opponent's Resist skill and increases the Poison Lvl by 1 (bumping DP to Lethal), the only reliable way for Nox Mages to inflict Lethal Poison. Otherwise, only Nox Warriors can achieve a high chance to inflict Lethal Poison.

Dude publish 71 came out in 2011. I dont think Lethal poison even existed then...... LOL
Lethal Poison (Lvl 5) has always existed. Initially, only Silver Serpents and Poison Elementals were able to inflict it, and it was practically impossible to cure. Getting poisoned by them was a death sentence.

Last month I stood in my house and cast poison on my cue to facilitate training healing.
I have an alt account with five Snakes trained to 125 DEX/GM Wrest/GM Poison for that. They constantly inflict Lethal Poison on my Cu to train it's Healing. They'll also be the only reliable way to train Healing on a Triton, which can have enough Resist skill to be immune to even a 120 Mage's Poison spell, lol.