• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Taming as a supplement?

Petrov

Visitor
Hey I have a blacksmith who is also a miner. I use a fire beetle for mining. Any point in me getting animal taming? Animal lore? Train it up to defend me?

Gardo

Journeyman
Would be a solid body guard. Hide or invis upon aggression and sick the beetle on the baddies. As long as you can fit 220-240 points in your template, sounds like a fun idea. On my miner I have a couple vollems for defense.... also pretty fun. (although I don’t do much mining.... too many pets to train and skill)

PageBoy

Journeyman
With taming/lore you can train you beetle… imho it can work against mobs but not against players

Gardo

Journeyman
With taming/lore you can train you beetle… imho it can work against mobs but not against players
Agreed. If you’re a miner and get ganked.... you’re screwed. Run....hide.....most likely gonna die. I guess my mind just went to monsters

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I think you would stand a better chance with Wrestling/Ninjitsu than Tame/Lore.

Any half competent PKer will Parra a pet, Disarm you (assuming you have any melee defence at all - unlikely) then block you from Healing with Poison or Mortal.

With Wrestling you have defence while Disarmed and can Disarm them. With Ninjitsu you can go Cat/Dog Form for 40 HP Regen (another 18 possible on suit and 2 if human). Combined with Mirror Images which give a 90% chance to divert incoming attacks. It makes you frustrating enough to not bother with. Especially if you have Healing, Potions and Enchanted Apples.

PageBoy

Journeyman

Any half competent PKer will Parra a pet, Disarm you (assuming you have any melee defence at all - unlikely) then block you from Healing with Poison or Mortal.

With Wrestling you have defence while Disarmed and can Disarm them. With Ninjitsu you can go Cat/Dog Form for 40 HP Regen (another 18 possible on suit and 2 if human). Combined with Mirror Images which give a 90% chance to divert incoming attacks. It makes you frustrating enough to not bother with. Especially if you have Healing, Potions and Enchanted Apples.
Any half competent pk is able to kill a miner anyway

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The one big benefit from tame/lore, outside of Fel, is that Giant Beetles with added strength no longer suffer from the "Your mount is Fatigued" BS at a quarter-load and mounted.

It's that, not its combat skills, behind my tamer usually being the one to go to a Fel IDOC. I'm not gonna get run down as easy as a non-tamer on a beetle would collecting stuff.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

ya but can you smelt ore on your ass and make ingots??

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
For a miner it is also worth considering that any Shadow and Valorite ore elementals (from the garg's pickaxe) are immune to your pet's damage, so in that regard it might be better to use the skill points for a fighting skill? Our miner with Swords feels much more practical than the one without.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My Prospector (Mining/LJ/Fishing) has a Fire Beetle and Giant Beetle trained up to GM Wrest/Tact/Resist/Anat, as well as a skill-trained Vollem (Golem). He also has a Hatchet with -15 Mage Wep/SC/Elemental Slayer/30% SSI/45% DI, which allows him to kill Elementals immune to pets. I just keep a Greater Heal pre-cast while whacking the Ele until it dies.