• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Governor's doing great........Town bonus

Nash

Sage
Why do we have 3-4 towns with the same thing over and over id like to see hit chance come to one of the towns hard to pull weight to get anything done so im hoping this will help

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your governor might be flexible. Discuss this with your governor and offer to donate 2M. Mention it in General Chat just in case your governor is an "alternate character."

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
(There's got to be a better way... Oh that gives me an idea for the Wish List.)

Nash

Sage
Can someone tag the governors id like to get a healthy conversation going about this and the repetition of the bonus's

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I poll the known citizens and ask them which buffs they want. Usually it's the same buff that's requested. If there's more than one then I rotate them weekly.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly. How can you tell?

Nothing appears improved no matter how many money goes in to the "gold sink".

Nash

Sage
the town stones if you hold your cursor over it but i checked every town and theres five towns with the assassin's guild

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I can say that in Yew on GLs I always maintain the +1FC as that's what the citizens most asked for... and so it shall remain so long as I am in office and so long as that's what people want.

Edit: Oh and not to forget so long as there is gold on the stone...

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
On Sonoma when I was the governor of Moonglow I had +2MR, most there like it, but no one was donated to the stone except me so I refused to run and now there is nothing as the gold ran out. During the last halloween event most cities got a HUGE boost in gold on the stones, except for cities like Moonglow, Magincia. No one wanted to take that LONG sea trip to get credit towards getting the Boss to appear.

Ruby Knight

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Moonglow Atlantic is FC 1. I am willing to change it anytime but most people I've spoken with want it to stay that.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The governors have asked for the ability for the citizens to choose their own buff, but the devs are resistant to the improvement. They've said it's to encourage "loyalty and engagement" with a city, but the last six years of empirical data proves the exact opposite.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
FC 1 is really the only good buff because it's the most difficult, expensive (rarity & item weight), and it makes the most difference on the majority of templates in both Pvp & Pvm compared to all the other buffs available.

5% SSI sounds good, but you really need to be at a very specific threshold by using weapons with a certain amount of base swing speed for a 5% SSI bonus to make any difference whatsoever, so it's somewhat difficult to build around it to where the buff itself actually makes any difference at all. However, since Chivalry spells (consecrate, divine fury, enemy of one) now add a swing delay during casting, unless you have enough FC to negate it, FC1 is better than 5% SSI for sampires as well.

if the SSI buff was 10 or 15% it could compete because at that amount it could make a difference by itself.... you know like the FC 1 buff does, whoever did the balancing pass on those buffs pays absolutely no attention to stat priorities.

The best solution to the issue that's been suggested is to: Allow the Citizen choose (from a context menu) which buff they want to use, as long as there's enough gold in the treasury to maintain the trade deal.
It's been suggested several times over the last few years or so... the real question is why haven't the devs fixed this yet?

the Trade Deals also affect pvpers that may otherwise want to Xfer to other shards... if the Town Buffs are from a different town, OR there are no town buffs or governors on their destination shard, many of their suits become useless until the buff is available.... and lets face it, no one wants to wait 7-days to be able to play if their citizenship has to be changed to another city in order to use the buff.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
We so know what you mean Nash! On Europa we had all our EI mages as citizens to Britain as since September 2017, it was the only city with the "Guild of Arcane Arts" (+5% SDI). Then past January a new governor appears, and woosh?! Gone is the +SDI, to be exchanged with Guild of Asasins (+5% SSI), which was already active in Minoc since forever and in Vesper since January 2018?! What use to have that 3 times while taking away another option?! (Btw, there are also 3 towns with the Bardic Collegium for 1FC on Europa.)
Luckily our frustrations about that got reduced a lot when the governor of Yew offered Arcane Arts the next Month, it got him several extra citizens! (And made us happy we used Yew a lot for Krampus trade orders!)

We guess the change might be for RolePlay reasons, but still, it affects all Citizens who count on it when it has been active for well over a year. That 5% SDI can make the difference between one-shotting a critter and needing 2 spells...

Last edited:

Nash

Sage
Ya so the governors of atlantic are tahani, house mouse, akeeta, tethran tarm and bella donna all running swing speed increase as town bonus thats jhelom, trinsic, brit, yew and vesper all running the same thing this should be fixed

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
On LA, we governors are trying to get most of them covered, PROVIDED there's money on the stones. Several governors have shut down their bonuses, until someone raises their balance to 30 million.

Ironically, due to someone becoming governor for one term over a year ago, buying a lot of their characters titles and dropping obscene amounts of gold in doing so, New Mag has enough gold for EIGHT YEARS, but we have no governor there now to change it from SDI. It WILL get changed once we get a replacement governor installed.

Britain is SDI because that's where the casters are (the governor is a mystic/mage/weaver, and most of the citizens are casters that use the Arcane Circle in front of the bank, anyway - making getting the bonus from the stone convenient). It's good for the next year or so.

The others vary due to the opinions of citizens, based on what to pick that doesn't duplicate another - or are turned off awaiting funds.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
for some shards/some towns, there isn't any money for town buffs let alone a gov to pick a buff. for the other shards/towns with money, the govs should get together and have each town with different buff and have the buff stay at that town. there should be buffs for reds at fel bucs, nujelm and maybe serpents hold. some shards/people have scripts that can do the trade quests over and over, yes while they are at work lol.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
for some shards/some towns, there isn't any money for town buffs let alone a gov to pick a buff. for the other shards/towns with money, the govs should get together and have each town with different buff and have the buff stay at that town. there should be buffs for reds at fel bucs, nujelm and maybe serpents hold. some shards/people have scripts that can do the trade quests over and over, yes while they are at work lol.
The first year of the program I shelled out the 2 mill per week that it took to maintain the buff after that I said F this... and said hey I'll give you the buff you want... but YOU have to put money on the stone this is TOO expensive... I'm just a poor RPer I don't have gobs of gold ..... so the PvPers who wanted the buff paid for it... which worked great then they started making ways to put money on the stone without anyone having to shell out... I happily do trade deals fairly often... I think they are fun. I like the house signs and such too and pinks are always welcome.

I even encourage new and returning players to do them... good way to make a few bucks selling pinks they don't want or the house signs and such and good way to train up pets and skills and learn the lay of the land again.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Mythical crates from Rising Tide give the town it belongs to 10m gold, great for lower pop servers that have governors struggling to pay for the town buff.

On Chesapeake we had a governors meeting then ballot box in each town about changing buffs. We then switched buffs in certain towns to cover more of the buffs available

Nash

Sage
but anyway if anyone knows how to reach any of these current atlantic governors id like to speak with them

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
but anyway if anyone knows how to reach any of these current atlantic governors id like to speak with them

Attend a Governors meeting, then you can have an audience with hopefully all of them.

Nash

Sage
i wont win ive tried before im an ******* who pvp's two different worlds from pvp to tram/ governor stuff just dont see the need to have over half the towns 5 to run a buff that takes so little weight to imbue on an item takes 18 to imbue 5 ssi 43 to do 5hci and 140 to do 1 fc lol seems more than half the towns are wasting their town bonus

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i wont win ive tried before im an ******* who pvp's two different worlds from pvp to tram/ governor stuff just dont see the need to have over half the towns 5 to run a buff that takes so little weight to imbue on an item takes 18 to imbue 5 ssi 43 to do 5hci and 140 to do 1 fc lol seems more than half the towns are wasting their town bonus
They gave links to the Governor meetings. Go sit in audience and when Kings asks if any towns folk want to speak, bring it up.

Other wise the Governor chooses without input. If all else fails, Bribe one.

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
this isn't a problem with the governors. it's a problem with 4 distinct things.

1 - system: we should be able to choose a city based on preference / rp, then pick a trade bonus. lots of ways 2 make this work. (here's one: if city is below a certain amount, make the players pay a certain amount to use the bonus for the week. OR set it such that a governor can choose to make people pay to use the bonus. this will help the governor determine the rp character of the city to a greater degree.)

2 - system: it's not like every bonus us equally useful to everyone, some are close (the MR one for example) but no cigar. so some bonuses get favored more.

3 - system: there's incentive for governors to cater to who talks to them or who pays for the bonus. if it's a city with a small player base and all but one can't afford to contribute anything, and that one will only pay if a certain bonus is effective? then the governor has three choices: fund raise like a fiend constantly (impractical); let no one get any bonus at all (pointless); or give the bonus the donor wants (and that way everyone at least gets something).

4 - you: you could do something. you could fix this. find your city's governor and lobby him or her for the bonus u want. if your governor isn't responsible pick another city that's more responsive. offer 2 pay for the bonus to them like u did here.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They gave you a link for the Governors meetings. Go sit in audience and wait for the King to allow towns folk to talk. Bring it up at that time.

If all else fails Bribe one.

Nash

Sage
ya im going was just hoping i could get this changed before hand and i dont care what city its in i just want one town with what i want / whats more useful when it comes to imbuing points ssi is less than hci... the hit point regen is also neglected its a good bonus over looked by so many

Nash

Sage
there is currently a ballot up in britain to vote on this issue please do the responsible thing and get this changed too many towns with the same thing

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On LS I am the Governor of Minoc. I can change it to anything. Since I am the only one who voted in the election.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On LS I am the Governor of Minoc. I can change it to anything. Since I am the only one who voted in the election.
You know I just choose a shard shield for over there. I'll have to stop by and try to steal an election :)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
becuase theres only 2 town bonuses that people really use, ssi and fc1

people need a stable bonus bonus for it to be useful at all, so most governors pick one of those 2 and stick with it.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
FC 1 is really the only good buff because it's the most difficult, expensive (rarity & item weight), and it makes the most difference on the majority of templates in both Pvp & Pvm compared to all the other buffs available.

5% SSI sounds good, but you really need to be at a very specific threshold by using weapons with a certain amount of base swing speed for a 5% SSI bonus to make any difference whatsoever, so it's somewhat difficult to build around it to where the buff itself actually makes any difference at all. However, since Chivalry spells (consecrate, divine fury, enemy of one) now add a swing delay during casting, unless you have enough FC to negate it, FC1 is better than 5% SSI for sampires as well.

if the SSI buff was 10 or 15% it could compete because at that amount it could make a difference by itself.... you know like the FC 1 buff does, whoever did the balancing pass on those buffs pays absolutely no attention to stat priorities.

The best solution to the issue that's been suggested is to: Allow the Citizen choose (from a context menu) which buff they want to use, as long as there's enough gold in the treasury to maintain the trade deal.
It's been suggested several times over the last few years or so... the real question is why haven't the devs fixed this yet?

the Trade Deals also affect pvpers that may otherwise want to Xfer to other shards... if the Town Buffs are from a different town, OR there are no town buffs or governors on their destination shard, many of their suits become useless until the buff is available.... and lets face it, no one wants to wait 7-days to be able to play if their citizenship has to be changed to another city in order to use the buff.

i build all my sampire suits around the 5ssi bonus. maintain 120 stam, 30ssi on double axe, 20ssi on jewels. saves having to buy a cameo. need 55 ssi. this setup is much more effective than having to maintain 180 stam. allows for a larger stam buffer, plus room for extra mods like damage eater and hpr. i usually have about 160 total stam, which allows for a rather large (40) stam buffer before swing speed on double axe is reduced to 1.5.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You know I just choose a shard shield for over there. I'll have to stop by and try to steal an election :)
There's two cities with no governor. Come on over. We can take you pirate hunting. Look for a variation of Allen in chat.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

people need a stable bonus bonus for it to be useful at all, so most governors pick one of those 2 and stick with it.
Speak for your own shard....

My shard has a lot of casters and crafters that have been max FC (or using Protection so that FC is moot) since AoS, and use the SDI more for their casters. You're right that the SSI is common for the dexers, though. The only time I've heard people asking for FC it's been people transferring over to LA for events or PvP; in fact I've heard people asking for regens more than FC in General Chat.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
We do use the SSI bonus on our dexxers (on the rare occasion we use them), but we never considered the FC1. Apart from that it won't do anything when having Protection on, it feels like a critical addition you'd want on your suit itself. Not losing it in the middle of a hunt because your city buff runs out? So we always want the SDI buff, that seems a real BONUS bonus. Nice to have, but if it runs out, no disaster.

Edit: Oops, that's what a looong phone call during writing a post does, Basara said more or less the same! But 44 mins earlier...

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We do use the SSI bonus on our dexxers (on the rare occasion we use them), but we never considered the FC1. Apart from that it won't do anything when having Protection on, it feels like a critical addition you'd want on your suit itself. Not losing it in the middle of a hunt because your city buff runs out? So we always want the SDI buff, that seems a real BONUS bonus. Nice to have, but if it runs out, no disaster.

Edit: Oops, that's what a looong phone call during writing a post does, Basara said more or less the same! But 44 mins earlier...
FC 1 is a pvp bonus. can save huge amounts in jewels up to billions. no one uses protection in pvp its just not really viable. out of all the property slots, FC1 is hardest to get, and most imbue weight of all the town bonuses.

i only won governor once when the term was 6 months, and the entire reason i ran was because all current governors on that shard didnt seem to understand the importance of having at least 1 town with the FC1 bonus. and have it permananly. at the time gear was alot less powerful overall, we didnt have the scholars halo, and it was absolutely needed for a min/max pvp mage suit 4/6 chiv template.

that brings up another issue. that the governors system was largely based on RP, but town bonuses benefited pvpers far more than any other style of play. Doesnt really make sense, however did get some pvpers involved in RP, which was refreshing and those players did a great job.

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Speak for your own shard....

My shard has a lot of casters and crafters that have been max FC (or using Protection so that FC is moot) since AoS, and use the SDI more for their casters. You're right that the SSI is common for the dexers, though. The only time I've heard people asking for FC it's been people transferring over to LA for events or PvP; in fact I've heard people asking for regens more than FC in General Chat.
i guess theres some benefit for sdi, however we've had a good number of sdi bonus items since the town bonuses came out. it used to be popular when as much sdi as possible was needed for EM events, however after that system changed from top damager to guaranteed points popularity fell way off. before the change, which was over 4 years ago now, cross shard eventers were some of the only people who actually donated gold just to keep that bonus active.

Last edited:

Nash

Sage
from an imbueing stand it just doesnt make sense to use the ssi as much as the hci.. as far as weight same as fast cast thats the most useful one but yet theres 5 towns with ssi lol when you need one town

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
from an imbueing stand it just doesnt make sense to use the ssi as much as the hci.. as far as weight same as fast cast thats the most useful one but yet theres 5 towns with ssi lol when you need one town
I agree with you but the Governors decide. Bring it up with the King.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
FC 1 is a pvp bonus. can save huge amounts in jewels up to billions. no one uses protection in pvp its just not really viable. out of all the property slots, FC1 is hardest to get, and most imbue weight of all the town bonuses.

i only won governor once when the term was 6 months, and the entire reason i ran was because all current governors on that shard didnt seem to understand the importance of having at least 1 town with the FC1 bonus. and have it permananly. at the time gear was alot less powerful overall, we didnt have the scholars halo, and it was absolutely needed for a min/max pvp mage suit 4/6 chiv template.

that brings up another issue. that the governors system was largely based on RP, but town bonuses benefited pvpers far more than any other style of play. Doesnt really make sense, however did get some pvpers involved in RP, which was refreshing and those players did a great job.
Which is exactly right it was PvPers who asked me to keep the 1FC and an entire guild who used it when their guildmaster made suits for them based on getting that bonus... I still keep it on the Yew stone for that... I know they will vote for me and they know that I love my City and will always run for Governor there and will keep that deal based on that fact that they keep me in office and I keep them able to use the bonus... win win IMO...

I was the Mayor of Yew on GLs LONG before there was a Governor system... back when the people (rpers) who lived there voted for me to be the Mayor. Yew has always been my home and always will be. I love the city.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I agree with Smoot. There are only two town bonuses that are particularly useful as they benefit a suit construction more than the rest:

- FC 1 from Bardic Collegium
- SSI 5 from the Assassin's Guild

I usually search these out on any shard I have characters and then build their suit (and runes) around the town with the bonus. FC 1 is 140 intensity points for imbuing and can only be imbued on rings, bracelets, weapons and shields. That's a huge bonus to suit construction. And SSI is limited to being imbued only on weapons. Thus the meager SSI 5 is very, very helpful. And the way stamina and SSI interact, SSI 5 is enough along to bring your swing speed down .25s in most cases. When many of us are trying to squeeze every last bit of capacity out of a suit, these two are huge. The other town bonus options, just don't add something that doesn't already have a plenitude of options to integrate into your suit already. That's why you see many towns with these two bonuses. As a warrior and mage, I am ok with this with the current town bonus options. If the array of options changed (or more options were added), then I would potentially welcome alternative trade deals to Bardic Collegium and the Assassin's Guild.

My biggest issue is on many smaller shards there are vacant governorships and sometimes it is hard to find these two bonuses available.

-OBSIDIAN-