• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So.. nothing for St. Pats Day?

Siabra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So.. nothing for St. Pats Day? .. After pushing out the vet rewards for several months ( by the way … will those rewards now go back to their original dates of being given in the fall )?

sad .. :(

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As I understand it, this isn't even a celebrated holiday in Ireland.

HOWEVER... it is very sad that the staff cant be bothered. Falling on a Sunday? Who wants to be bothered when people work 5 days a week, during the normal week? hehe Granted... I'm sure the staff doesnt work 40 hours, 5 days a week... but thats not the point. Just bad day for this day to fall.

You could do the American tradition of getting drunk, passing out on green dyed beer, and waking up in the grass. :shots:

Frankly, being British... I dont go anyplace near this. Its not easy being Orange. ;)

Dorset

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Something like this would have gone down a treat.....

(My Irish work buddy loved it :stir:)

Attachments

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some years ago... before Tram... they had a leprechaun hunt.

Just remembered that, while I was outside doing some r/l gardening. Its in the high 70's. Drunks being obnoxious 4 doors down, all set up for a party... taking up the street. So, drunk and disorderly and its not even 5pm yet. And back to game bidness. :)

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
St. Patrick's Day isn't even a real holiday, at least in America. Its supposed to be a feast in honor of St. Patrick of Ireland and Catholics had feasts on that day. Drinking was permitted just for the feast. Now its just..buy green stuff, get drunk, mock Irish culture. Jokes aside, thats not really special, lets be honest here.

Siabra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
St. Patrick's Day isn't even a real holiday, at least in America. Its supposed to be a feast in honor of St. Patrick of Ireland and Catholics had feasts on that day. Drinking was permitted just for the feast. Now its just..buy green stuff, get drunk, mock Irish culture. Jokes aside, thats not really special, lets be honest here.

sorry about your evident experience .. but no one I know mocks Irish culture.....
and Yes UO has given out items more than once for St. Pats …
check online …

Hope you have better experiences at some point in your life ...

"Saint Patrick's Day, although a legal holiday only in Suffolk County, Massachusetts and Savannah, Georgia, is nonetheless widely recognized and celebrated throughout the United States. It is primarily celebrated as a recognition of Irish and Irish American culture; celebrations include prominent displays of the color green, eating and drinking, religious observances, and numerous parades. The holiday has been celebrated on the North American continent since the late 18th century.

Last edited:

Siabra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As I understand it, this isn't even a celebrated holiday in Ireland.

HOWEVER... it is very sad that the staff cant be bothered. Falling on a Sunday? Who wants to be bothered when people work 5 days a week, during the normal week? hehe Granted... I'm sure the staff doesnt work 40 hours, 5 days a week... but thats not the point. Just bad day for this day to fall.

You could do the American tradition of getting drunk, passing out on green dyed beer, and waking up in the grass. :shots:

Frankly, being British... I dont go anyplace near this. Its not easy being Orange. ;)

rotfl .. really??? you want to go into the entire Brit / Irish thing etc??? I am not however … also your presumptions of every American getting drunk etc is pretty off considering the thought people have of Brits.... you might want to watch an old movie called Quigley Down Under ( 1990 ) ..

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you might want to watch an old movie called Quigley Down Under ( 1990 ) ..
I know, if you play UO more then 6 hours a day... you may have a problem telling the difference between "fantasy" and "reality"...

Most movies, outside documentaries... are "fantasy". :confused: If you have a problem with that concept, I cant help you.

Growing up in London... knowing people all over the UK an Ireland… the issue with St. Patty's day didnt become a nuisance until I was in school in the USA. People pinching you? Then I'd get in trouble for punching them back. After someone explained the whole "tradition", next year I wore an orange shirt and people already knew the price to pay at pinching a pixie... so it wasnt an issue.

If you find that a fighting thing? May I suggest a nice therapist. :)

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
<adds fuel to the fire>
What gets me is that corned beef and cabbage is really only a US meal choice associated with St. Patricks Day and the Irish. It's good eating, but is a US meal choice, not one necessarily in the old country.
<end addition>

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As one of those Americans I can tell you that we all do not go out and get drunk. Even in my younger days I never went out on this day. We considered this amateur night where mostly college kids went out and acted like jackasses. Don't take what you see on tv or the "news" too literally. They tend to sensationalize everything.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As one of those Americans I can tell you that we all do not go out and get drunk. Even in my younger days I never went out on this day. We considered this amateur night where mostly college kids went out and acted like jackasses. Don't take what you see on tv or the "news" too literally. They tend to sensationalize everything.
College brats need an excuse to get drunk and act like jackasses?

Unfortunately, I lived in a major college town for far longer then I want to remember. It was a never ending party for them and a nightmare for everyone else.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
College brats need an excuse to get drunk and act like jackasses?

Unfortunately, I lived in a major college town for far longer then I want to remember. It was a never ending party for them and a nightmare for everyone else.
Lol no they don't but it helps. Also seems to be a night where those who normally don't drink go out and do so. Really just a cluster pancake

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
<raises hand> Another one here. And add July 4th, Labor Day, New Years (natch) as amateur nights. Where I'm at is a Winston Cup Supermod track with racing basically Memorial Day thru Labor Day ... making every weekend amateur night (after night after night).

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol no they don't but it helps. Also seems to be a night where those who normally don't drink go out and do so. Really just a cluster pancake
You couldn't even go out for an evening without being assaulted by drunken college brats. Sometimes it was dangerous... I dont worry... or happy drunks trying to kiss you or whatever. Pain is a wonderful motivation to leave people alone. ;)

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
<adds fuel to the fire>
What gets me is that corned beef and cabbage is really only a US meal choice associated with St. Patricks Day and the Irish. It's good eating, but is a US meal choice, not one necessarily in the old country.
<end addition>

Who thinks the dish is from Ireland? It's association has always been with the early Irish-American immigrants. They adapted to new foods when they arrived and we recognize this over 100 years later.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Who thinks the dish is from Ireland? It's association has always been with the early Irish-American immigrants. They adapted to new foods when they arrived and we recognize this over 100 years later.
Not me. Just the same as "Lucky Charms" are a part of this complete breakfast. :shots:

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As we know it, the dish is an Irish immigrant invention. However, an interesting article on corned beef is here (Wikipedia). The interesting part is in the "Cultural associations" ... in part:
"The Jewish population produced similar salt-cured meat from beef brisket, which Irish immigrants purchased as corned beef from Jewish butchers. This may have been facilitated by the close cultural interactions and collaboration of these two diverse cultures in the United States' main 19th- and 20th-century immigrant port of entry, New York City."

The way I understand things, Irelands beef prices were high because the British essentially used the commodity as their food source ... leaving the IRish to use fowl and pigs, etc. When immigration brought Irish to NYC, it was the Jewish butchers - as noted above - who had beef prices low enough to be affordable once again. Thus the beginnings of our favorite dish! Mind you, there are other possible stories of how it came about ... but I'm just happy it did.