• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Do Tamers make use of the Humility Virtue or is it not of much use ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I noticed that being a Knight in the Humility Virtue gives to a pet a buff of +30 HPR for 20 minutes at the cost of some Humility Virtue points....

Question is, is it worth the hassle ?

That is, any Tamers out there actually using it and then taking the time to recharge the lost points ?

Bottom line is, is it worth the hassle ?

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I noticed that being a Knight in the Humility Virtue gives to a pet a buff of +30 HPR for 20 minutes at the cost of some Humility Virtue points....

Question is, is it worth the hassle ?

That is, any Tamers out there actually using it and then taking the time to recharge the lost points ?

Bottom line is, is it worth the hassle ?
I've never used it. As a tamer the only virtue I've used is Honor (works great for taming aggressive mobs) and Sacrifice (Self Rez, for when I screw up or lag out-which is often).

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All tamers should be Knights of Spirituality because they heal their pets a lot. That is useful at the beginning of a big fight when the pet will lose HP.

Humility could also be useful if you are able to kill the evil things without resists.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
We have trained up Humility on 2 chars, both mages. They use it on the pets of our tamers. But we don't use it often, don't think of it most of the time. It is fairly easy to raise though, not extra work we feel.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Don't forget the RP value of having this, though - impress your friends.
(I'm knight in all 8 on one of my characters - though this pic might be before I finished Justice on it, which required a friend going red for me and killing them repeatedly.)

Mylene virtues.png

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Don't forget the RP value of having this, though - impress your friends.
Yeah, it looks great, but you really have to beware NOT to buy things from NPC's on that char, or you'll be traveling the coast lines again! Honesty drops SO fast in our experience!

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Yeah, it looks great, but you really have to beware NOT to buy things from NPC's on that char, or you'll be traveling the coast lines again! Honesty drops SO fast in our experience!
What happens if you buy stuff from NPC's with high humility?

Innoxicated

Journeyman
High honesty gives you a pretty big discount, at the cost of depleting your progress in that virtue. great for buying bulk commodities, not so great for picking up a stack of arrows. Gaining Honesty is a whole 'nother beast from what i understand

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
What Innox said, Honesty virtue gets crushed if you buy a few things from NPC vendors. Sorry for the confusion Celticus, was in response to Basara's picture/post of having all virtues maxed. We also have one char trying to do that. And indeed made the mistake to buy for the trade routes in December on her! :mad:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I forgot about this. Does it stack or are pets capped at 30 hpr? a 60 hpr pet would be amazing.
It stacks. 20 HPR pet can get +30 from Consume, and +30 from Humility Knight, for 80 HPR. My Necro/Mage/Mystic has Knight of Humility, and he uses Corpse Skin and sometimes Humility when i pair him with my Disco/Tamer's Fire Beetle/Fire Drake.

When it comes to gaining Humility, it's all about quantity, not quality. Killing a Balron will not grant more Humility than killing a Mongbat. The best place to gain Humility, is the Acid Slug pit in the Underworld. If you have AoE capability, stand on a ledge in there, activate Humility, and AoE away (why my Necro/Mage/Mystic has Knight in Humility, Wither spam). Without the tamer having AoE capability himself, it's a bit tougher, since Humility drops not just your Resists, but your pet's too. I've used a 85 Physical Resist Saurosaurus with Consume Damage running on him, but eventually he'll need to be healed back up, and he can only kill 1 Acid Slug at a time. A FWW+PB Najasaurus would be able to kill Acid Slugs much faster, but he'll require more healing. Gift of Renewal would be great then.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
The slimes around the corner have a pretty good spawn rate, too, don't they? Easier hits at the cost of no ledge to stand on. I wonder where else might have a very quick, dense group of mobs that spawn, since like PlayerSkill said, it is quantity that you need. so the fame of the mob has no impact, but they have to be "evil" right? Like hinds wouldn't work. I've never considered doing this myself, but it's sounding pretty damn good, now, lol!

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
The slimes around the corner have a pretty good spawn rate, too, don't they? Easier hits at the cost of no ledge to stand on. I wonder where else might have a very quick, dense group of mobs that spawn, since like PlayerSkill said, it is quantity that you need. so the fame of the mob has no impact, but they have to be "evil" right? Like hinds wouldn't work. I've never considered doing this myself, but it's sounding pretty damn good, now, lol!
So, to gain in humility, you go to the acid slimes, and utter "lum lum lum"..Your resists drop by -70 points, and gain humility depending on how may slimes you pet kills? Is this corect. Also, do your pets resists also drop same way -70 as well? Ty for info..

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Low level champ spawns are good for this too, especially if you bring a pet that does some aoe. So you can humility the low levels and then turn it off and finish the spawn as it progresses.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I got to knight of humility over a couple hours, with my tamer standing back and letting my cu go to town on the red elvish brigands on the road west of Umbra. Allowed for some decent pet training of healing, disco and resist spells that way too.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I got to knight of humility over a couple hours, with my tamer standing back and letting my cu go to town on the red elvish brigands on the road west of Umbra. Allowed for some decent pet training of healing, disco and resist spells that way too.
Good to know..Thanks!

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It stacks. 20 HPR pet can get +30 from Consume, and +30 from Humility Knight, for 80 HPR. My Necro/Mage/Mystic has Knight of Humility, and he uses Corpse Skin and sometimes Humility when i pair him with my Disco/Tamer's Fire Beetle/Fire Drake.

When it comes to gaining Humility, it's all about quantity, not quality. Killing a Balron will not grant more Humility than killing a Mongbat. The best place to gain Humility, is the Acid Slug pit in the Underworld. If you have AoE capability, stand on a ledge in there, activate Humility, and AoE away (why my Necro/Mage/Mystic has Knight in Humility, Wither spam). Without the tamer having AoE capability himself, it's a bit tougher, since Humility drops not just your Resists, but your pet's too. I've used a 85 Physical Resist Saurosaurus with Consume Damage running on him, but eventually he'll need to be healed back up, and he can only kill 1 Acid Slug at a time. A FWW+PB Najasaurus would be able to kill Acid Slugs much faster, but he'll require more healing. Gift of Renewal would be great then.
It looks then, if I understood it right, that having Humility, since it stacks with the base HPR of the pet and the +30 from consume thus reaching a nice +80 HPR is an advisable thing to do then. for a tamer ?

Did I get that right ?

If so, why do some Tamers prefer the Sacrifice, Spirituality or Honor Virtues instead rather then the Humility ?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If so, why do some Tamers prefer .... ?
Cause we have been using these pets for almost two years now. Gift of Renewal, consume, and some heals are all you need when have experience.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
upload_2019-2-25_15-44-58.png upload_2019-2-25_15-46-33.png

The humility virtue can be very useful when combined with 20 hpr from training, 19 hpr from peace masteries and 30 hpr from consume damage.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
If so, why do some Tamers prefer the Sacrifice, Spirituality or Honor Virtues instead rather then the Humility ?
Different Virtues help in different ways. But we feel there is no need look at them in "or" ways, you can have them all so the more the merrier?

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Cause we have been using these pets for almost two years now. Gift of Renewal, consume, and some heals are all you need when have experience.
But I think the idea is not having to do some heals, instead being able to focus your attention (and mana) elsewhere! Like a little dps casting, or dexer/tamer templates. Or, time-permitting, taking screenshots of beautifully OP overcapped hit point regen on your lore screen. Lmao...

I think a more honest answer might be many tamers weren't aware of the potency of stacking the humility hpr buff with others. I sure as hell hadn't thought of it!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I rely on methods always available. I play longer than 20 minutes.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
I'm glad there have been so many constructive posts from a good number of members who have found a use for it. Apparently it's not for everyone, which is how I like my uo, personally. With freedom to do as you please, without being constrained to a role and critiqued on how much or little you deviated from the norm.

It seems though that the OP was asking if it was viable for tamers to use, and from what I've seen, would say it certainly is. Especially if you get your kicks grinding virtues, rofl!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Especially if you get your kicks grinding virtues, rofl
Exactly. Like I said in my first reply. A tamer should have spirituality just from normal play. Tamer can also have Honor with just a macro click. Valor from killing spawn. The rest need grinding.
Grinding and Skilling....

If you want to lum lum lum then go ahead. It works for that 20 minutes.

The OP was a question. Do Tamers make use of Humility. Id say the answer is a small % do. A larger % did it a few times and moved on. Then a larger % may not know what the virtues do or don't bother.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I used the humility virtue a lot on the roof before the fix and against Slasher since with all that stacked, it made the pet virtually unkillable.
The only annoying part is that one use of it already drops you out of knight then you have to find one Ilshenar spawn at level 1 to max it again relatively fast.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I've been thinking more about this, never used it before, but I'm thinking it could be great for a Shadowgaurd/Roof run or for leveling up pets with low max HP.

Like @celticus stated, this would be easy to raise at the entrance of underworld, could stand there spamming wither.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
A tamer should have spirituality just from normal play. Tamer can also have Honor with just a macro click. Valor and Humility from killing spawn.
Corrected your post for you. ;) Of course not in every spawn, especially the imps and undead will be nasty with minus 70 on the resists, but certainly with Piper and Rikky the first level (and if you have area spells also second) is doable without extra trouble.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
That's what mine looks like! Any players that need to be running a different mastery, or play w/out ToL might benefit more. If I try it and don't like it, that's cool with me, too. Things that are so game-breakingly powerful everyone *must* use them don't sit right with me, and tbh I'm just glad the virtues have some use, even if they aren't game-changers.

Some days 20 mins may be all I actually do get to play, though perfect timing for a humility buff, I may be with Pawain on not being necessarily keen on using my time to grind it up. But who knows? Might get a bowl of popcorn and a tall cup of coffee and get my lumlum on!

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Corrected your post for you. ;) Of course not in every spawn, especially the imps and undead will be nasty with minus 70 on the resists, but certainly with Piper and Rikky the first level (and if you have area spells also second) is doable without extra trouble.
I've done it on undead before. Fun times when it changes to wave 2. (I would not suggest people try that)

Honestly, this is a virtue people can add to their character with not much extra trouble.

For people to belittle the virtue or be condescending to those that choose to pick it up and find it useful, what's the point? Not everyone does content with 20 other tamers. Lots may find it beneficial to use for certain situations and to maintain it isn't that much trouble.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A night or two ago it took about 15 minutes fighting malas elven brigands to get to Seeker, and about an hour to get to follower. I ended up stopping at 3 dots in. One of the best things was discoing my cu to try to get more gains while also running the humility hunt. It gained to 110.8 healing in the process, having negative resists as a combination of the two (was at -50 poison!)