• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Theater Productions

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are there any running theaters these days?

If so, where could I find it?

If not, would there be an interest in one?

Would anyone be interested in UO "acting"?

It is normally not my kind of thing but I recently held one and had a blast writing it and making the set. Performing it, not so much.
So I wrote another skit as well that wants to be told.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never seen anyone hosting a play event... that I can remember. I know there is a tiny state on the west side of Haven.

I'm not 100% sure... but wasnt it Ultima 7... there was a small set of NPCs doing "a passion play" in game, someplace?

Something like this could be quite funny in UO... if done right. You could consider the little fighting area South-East Haven... on that little island. OR the one in T2A. They have seating! :)

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have written and run two different plays in the past, though it's not something I do regularly. The hardest part (for me at least) is writing the script and second to that, coordinating the right time. What made the plays fun for us is that they were written about the characters that we roleplay, and played by different players (in other words, the player does not get the part of their own character) and it becomes amusing to watch each other "act" as other players' characters.
TragedyMerekPenrose03.png TragedyMerekPenrose05.png play3.png play5.png

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have a theatre... on GLs yet no playwrite... so it's always for rent... but not really hosted more than a couple of weddings and our mostly annual Samhain Festival and Costume Contest...

And would be willing to try acting in one depending on the time... date... venue...

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not 100% sure... but wasnt it Ultima 7... there was a small set of NPCs doing "a passion play" in game, someplace?
I haven't played much of the Ultima series. That sounds interesting though. I may have to look for that.

I have written and run two different plays in the past, though it's not something I do regularly.
Do you still have those scripts and willing to share if something gets rolling here? You will get full credit or even compensated if desired. I'm not out to steal anything, just looking for enough content to make it worth trying a new thing.

And would be willing to try acting in one depending on the time... date... venue...
I may get back to you then and possibly ask to rent out the theater.

Thanks for the replies. These things tend to burn holes in me if I don't let them out.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you still have those scripts and willing to share if something gets rolling here? You will get full credit or even compensated if desired. I'm not out to steal anything, just looking for enough content to make it worth trying a new thing.
I'll send you a PM with some details.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now I think about it... and how dead most towns are... it would be quite funny to see a little street performance. Like a couple NPCs working together.

OH! Not that its the best "idea"... but in NEW Magincia... at the north side... its a cute little pavilion… I think its called... with benches on all 4 sides. I just dont see how you would do anything, performance or even a wedding... where anyone could see what's going on because the thing has roof.

I'd still go for the stadium.... there are 2 of them and they are hardly ever used. AND I think there is one on the South side of Luna. Again with seating.

The more I think about it... it just seams to me they should have a stage area, with seats all around, for normal players to use... as the EMs have private access stages (with seating around) on every shard for events and such.

I'm sure there are still street performers in big cities, I'm sure. I live in a city that has 50+ full on bums that sleep on the sidewalks, shoot up in parking lots, and generally beg at intersections. Some... make really good money that way. I have no clue why!!! Or how. I used to go to Baltimore Maryland, visit the big Markets, get some snacks... and head over to the wharf where the street performers worked. Some amazing talent in those guys! If you could survive and do something you love... not work for the man, but in a clean and safe area... why not?

What shard are you on? We had considered putting a theater in our town on Atlantic. The last time I remember going to a play was probably in 1999 or 2000. The Atlantic RPers back then did two productions that I can recall, The Wizard of Oz and A Midsummer Night's Dream, at the NPC playhouse in Britain.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I haven't played much of the Ultima series. That sounds interesting though. I may have to look for that.

I may get back to you then and possibly ask to rent out the theater.

Thanks for the replies. These things tend to burn holes in me if I don't let them out.
Awesome it's always an option especially if you want to make it a traveling troupe... you can always PM me if you want or hit me up in Discord MalagAste#1313.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was the time the Britannian Theatrical Society replayed the trial of Ricardo in the Yew Courts! I did think about doing something like this because of the different theaters in Britannia, like the one in Britain and the one in Haven. I haven't done it yet however.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We used to have our guild meetings in the Kings Men's Theater? in Brit. Wasn't a bad setup, but might need the shard's EM to set up a comm crystal about halfway back

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish I could use the King's Men Theater, but it's not well oriented for a play, due in part to the seating arrangement, which prevents people in the back from seeing/hearing, and the stage itself is covered with junk. Would be nice if it was redone to work better for players, but I doubt the devs will want to spend time on something that probably wouldn't get used very often.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I wish I could use the King's Men Theater, but it's not well oriented for a play, due in part to the seating arrangement, which prevents people in the back from seeing/hearing, and the stage itself is covered with junk. Would be nice if it was redone to work better for players, but I doubt the devs will want to spend time on something that probably wouldn't get used very often.
Well my Theatre is always open to the public... it's on GLs in the first clearing just SE of the Yew Moongate... You can't miss it ... it's the house with the large YEW on the roof.

and if someone wanted to rent it to do something I'm always willing to redeco and all for them...

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So maybe there is enough interest to start something up. I have another project on my plate though so I am debating with myself if I can find the time. I was hoping foremost for an active group I could just help out with. Maybe someone would like to start one just to try it out.

As far as theaters go I think it is a bit easier with a player house. The sets are so much easier to build. My plots are tied up in the other project as well or else I would keep a theater up.

I will message some of you down the road if I choose to pursue this. If someone else decides to take a swing that would be great and I would help anyway I can.

What shard are you on?
I call the Legends shard home. Great Lakes is my vacation getaway (from Uriah Heep). :eyes: ;)

HippoRedux

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You've done a fantastic job with your traveling "Carnivale" series and I look forward to Pen the Playwright's future endeavors!

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Penderrin I really enjoyed the play you did a few months back for Raven Hawk. The theatre you set up on multiple levels was splendid.

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You've done a fantastic job with your traveling "Carnivale" series and I look forward to Pen the Playwright's future endeavors!
Thanks Hippo and speaking of the Carnival, that's the other project. I'll go ahead in slip it in here if anyone wants to check it out.
(Player Event) - [Feb 2, 2019] Lucian Flame's Wee Carnival (Gate provided at Luna)
No one will get rich at this event. The prizes are all useful but nothing spectacular. It's just for fun. I just want to note this to save disappointment with the loot. Also no skills are necessary. A fresh toon is fine.

Ever seen a "Mud Show" before?
I have not even heard of it if it's not the "dirty" kind. :)

@Penderrin I really enjoyed the play you did a few months back for Raven Hawk.
Thanks Zeke. This next play is written to use the theater in the same fashion.

Last edited:

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Hippo and speaking of the Carnival, that's the other project. I'll go ahead in slip it in here if anyone wants to check it out.
(Player Event) - [Feb 2, 2019] Lucian Flame's Wee Carnival (Gate provided at Luna)
No one will get rich at this event. The prizes are all useful but nothing spectacular. It's just for fun. I just want to note this to save disappointment with the loot. Also no skills are necessary. A fresh toon is fine.

I have not even heard of it if it's not the "dirty" kind. :)
A "Mud Show" is where 3 guys do a bunch "dare devil" type street performance stuff in a small pit of mud.

Its really great when its rainy... and you would have mud, normally... but it is "street performance".

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A "Mud Show" is where 3 guys do a bunch "dare devil" type street performance stuff in a small pit of mud.

Its really great when its rainy... and you would have mud, normally... but it is "street performance".
Not too far from what I was trying not to imagine.