• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Ninjitsu] Necro Ninja

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Thinking of making a necro/ninja with:

ninja
hide
stealth
necro
spirit speak
fencing
poisoning

Primarily for PvM fel champ spawns, and hopefully to be able to defend or stealth away when raided. Anyone have something like this or know enough about the skills to give advice? Will this work without tactics? I have experience with necro, but not ninja.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED

ninja
hide
stealth
necro
spirit speak
fencing
poisoning

Primarily for PvM fel champ spawns, and hopefully to be able to defend or stealth away when raided. Anyone have something like this or know enough about the skills to give advice? Will this work without tactics? I have experience with necro, but not ninja.
Sounds like an interesting combination of skills that may have some PvP defense to it also, other than no resisting spells..?

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Sounds like an interesting combination of skills that may have some PvP defense to it also, other than no resisting spells..?
That's the main thing bothering me with this template->no resist spells. Now I'm considering this template:

Real Skill
120 ninja
100 hide
80 stealth
100 necro
100 spirit speak
120 fencing
100 tactics

*I don't really see anything I can replace to put in resist spells; do you? Although those are my real skill numbers above and I don't see any need to bump them higher with items, so maybe I could use items to add some resist? Also concerned about healing ability. I'll have vampire form and SS, hope that's enough.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am a firm believer that stealth ninjas should run 120 resist because one mana vampire negates smokebombs and all other ninjitsu abilities.

you could drop necro to 60 and still have access to the most important spells. instead of vamp form you would then use curse weapon for healing and probably should go into wraith form (works great with stealth anyway!)

stealth can be dropped to 75 (100% success with medable armor)

ninjitsu could be dropped to 45 and put 5 or more ninjitsu on jewellery for example. you will then only use it for smoke bombs and then stealth out in wraith form. smokebombs don't require real skill to work.

That would free up the 120 points needed for resist on this template.

The down side would be that you only get 5 mana special moves reduction instead of 10 because you will not get to 300 points in the releveant skills (120 weaponskill, 75 stealth, 45 ninjitsu). I think wraith form's mana leech will help with that though. I am not sure about the damage output you would get from this template but could be worth a try.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I am a firm believer that stealth ninjas should run 120 resist because one mana vampire negates smokebombs and all other ninjitsu abilities.

you could drop necro to 60 and still have access to the most important spells. instead of vamp form you would then use curse weapon for healing and probably should go into wraith form (works great with stealth anyway!)

stealth can be dropped to 75 (100% success with medable armor)

ninjitsu could be dropped to 45 and put 5 or more ninjitsu on jewellery for example. you will then only use it for smoke bombs and then stealth out in wraith form. smokebombs don't require real skill to work.

That would free up the 120 points needed for resist on this template.

The down side would be that you only get 5 mana special moves reduction instead of 10 because you will not get to 300 points in the releveant skills (120 weaponskill, 75 stealth, 45 ninjitsu). I think wraith form's mana leech will help with that though. I am not sure about the damage output you would get from this template but could be worth a try.
Would curse weapon and spirit speak be enough to heal? Also without vamp form I'd get poisoned, no way to cure poison except with potions. Does this build have to have tactics? Or would my damage suffer without it?

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
curse weapon will let you leech 50% of your damage dealt. Shouldn't be too hard to keep that up at all times. carry orange petals to gain poison immunity for lower levels of poison (same as vamp form!). you could also simply ignore poison completely (both cw and ss heal through poison) and carry a few potions for when you need to get away and absolutely can't be poisoned. dog and cat form work with low ninjitsu as well and provide enough hp regeneration to out regenerate poison of all levels, however you can't use special moves while in form, so not an option for when fighting tougher monsters.

without tactics you will cripple your damage and also you won't be able to use special moves. the more damage you do, the more hp you will leech back with curse weapon. armor ignore or doublestrike are essential in PvM.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran

ninja
hide
stealth
necro
spirit speak
fencing
poisoning

Yeah, this sort of works, though I wouldn't bother with Poisoning, the main thing you would get from it is an auto-cure effect similar to Vamp Form/Petals. It isn't adding anything to your offense as you don't have Magery, and you're not playing as a PvP dexxer.

Wraith Form + Wither to level spawn, Mirror Images to divert melee, Fencing will allow you to Shadow Strike when raided and is providing melee defense but little else. Although you can Curse Weapon to heal from spawn (no tainted life leech on any Champ Spawn afaik) you're not going to be doing enough melee damage to heal from it without Tactics and some dexxer stats, which if you're playing a casting Necro might be a tall order, especially if you want 2/6 or 4/6. The problem comes from how you're going to kill the champ (and heal/cure to an extent), although it's perfectly possible to auto-defend bosses to death with Mirror Images (they're really that good) you ideally want to get it done as quick as if you hope to get out with the scrolls, Fencing is the lowest base damage of all the weapon skills in a like for like speed comparrison. In short - you need to find a way to get Tactics and Chiv on there - it should be possible with some skill items.

I'd suggest aiming for a minimum of:
100 Hiding
80 Stealth
100 Ninjitsu (ideally 120)
120 Fencing
90 Tactics
100 Necro
80 SS
70 Chiv

Which comes to 740, so you need 20 pts somewhere.

Though saying all this, for a Ninja I'd pretty much always go Gargoyle and use Throwing, or if you have the gear to make the suit work you could use Swords for the Talwar Whirlwind/Hit Area, or Mace if you want melee AI (for bigger leeches), you can then adjust the levels of how much you want to play it as a Necro with a weapon skill, or as a dexxer with some Necro spells (60 Necro).

Don't worry about Resist.

Know your Ninjitsu! - Your Ninjitsu skill directly equates to the chance of diverting attacks to Mirror Images, the success rate of getting into different forms, and the effectiveness of those forms, also be aware that Tiger Form from the Mastery has the chance to Evade.
Animal Forms you need to know:
Rabbit/Rat - +20 Stealth (handy if you're in stat loss and need to get your stuff back)
Cat/Dog (at 120 Ninjitsu) - 40 HPR (or 4 hp per second - you can add a further 18 on the suit if you have room)
Frog - you poison things that hit you
Serpent - you poison things you melee (every hit)
Wolf/Bake - +20 HP mount speed
Llama/Ostard - mount speed
Unicorn - mount speed low level poison immunity (blocks completely not auto-cure)
Ki-Rin - mount speed and 20 SR

With this build you can Death Strike, if an enemy moves 5 tiles they take 40ish damage, you can combo most Ninjitsu abilities with Necro.

Last edited:

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Yeah, this sort of works, though I wouldn't bother with Poisoning, the main thing you would get from it is an auto-cure effect similar to Vamp Form/Petals. It isn't adding anything to your offense as you don't have Magery, and you're not playing as a PvP dexxer.

Wraith Form + Wither to level spawn, Mirror Images to divert melee, Fencing will allow you to Shadow Strike when raided and is providing melee defense but little else. Although you can Curse Weapon to heal from spawn (no tainted life leech on any Champ Spawn afaik) you're not going to be doing enough melee damage to heal from it without Tactics and some dexxer stats, which if you're playing a casting Necro might be a tall order, especially if you want 2/6 or 4/6. The problem comes from how you're going to kill the champ (and heal/cure to an extent), although it's perfectly possible to auto-defend bosses to death with Mirror Images (they're really that good) you ideally want to get it done as quick as if you hope to get out with the scrolls, Fencing is the lowest base damage of all the weapon skills in a like for like speed comparrison. In short - you need to find a way to get Tactics and Chiv on there - it should be possible with some skill items.

I'd suggest aiming for a minimum of:
100 Hiding
80 Stealth
100 Ninjitsu (ideally 120)
120 Fencing
90 Tactics
100 Necro
80 SS
70 Chiv

Which comes to 740, so you need 20 pts somewhere.

Though saying all this, for a Ninja I'd pretty much always go Gargoyle and use Throwing, or if you have the gear to make the suit work you could use Swords for the Talwar Whirlwind/Hit Area, or Mace if you want melee AI (for bigger leeches), you can then adjust the levels of how much you want to play it as a Necro with a weapon skill, or as a dexxer with some Necro spells (60 Necro).

Don't worry about Resist.

Know your Ninjitsu! - Your Ninjitsu skill directly equates to the chance of diverting attacks to Mirror Images, the success rate of getting into different forms, and the effectiveness of those forms, also be aware that Tiger Form from the Mastery has the chance to Evade.
Animal Forms you need to know:
Rabbit/Rat - +20 Stealth (handy if you're in stat loss and need to get your stuff back)
Cat/Dog (at 120 Ninjitsu) - 40 HPR (or 4 hp per second - you can add a further 18 on the suit if you have room)
Frog - you poison things that hit you
Serpent - you poison things you melee (every hit)
Wolf/Bake - +20 HP mount speed
Llama/Ostard - mount speed
Unicorn - mount speed low level poison immunity (blocks completely not auto-cure)
Ki-Rin - mount speed and 20 SR

With this build you can Death Strike, if an enemy moves 5 tiles they take 40ish damage, you can combo most Ninjitsu abilities with Necro.
Thanks for all the tips! How would you recommend fighting Baracoon the Piper? Vamp form with curse weapon, and mirror image? And if I pick up Chiv use enemy of one?

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

ninja
hide
stealth
necro
spirit speak
fencing
poisoning

I was building something similar last week. After consideration of various possible scenarios I changed it to this - v
120 swords
120 parry
120 resist
120 ss
105 necro
60 tactics
75 bush + jewels

Yeah I dumped ninjitsu, stealth, hide. Basically I give up all those points for what, to run and a possible 50 hp death strike. With this it is a bit more versatile.
confidence, pots, leech, hp regen to heal. Evasion, and offense you have all your necro spells , nerve strike and ability for a few specials.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for all the tips! How would you recommend fighting Baracoon the Piper? Vamp form with curse weapon, and mirror image? And if I pick up Chiv use enemy of one?
I'd say Wraith Form + Curse Weapon + AI. Use Enemy of One and a Vermin Slayer Talisman. Keep a few Images up, but make sure you have no Hit Effects going off as it will make him re-aggro quicker.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I'd say Wraith Form + Curse Weapon + AI. Use Enemy of One and a Vermin Slayer Talisman. Keep a few Images up, but make sure you have no Hit Effects going off as it will make him re-aggro quicker.
Any estimate on how long it would take solo? I currently solo rat spawns with my tamer, but it takes a long time (40 mins or so) so chance of being raided is high.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Any estimate on how long it would take solo? I currently solo rat spawns with my tamer, but it takes a long time (40 mins or so) so chance of being raided is high.
Well Barracoon has 12k hp. At most you can swing your weapon at 1.25s. If you were hitting for (e.g.) 100 damage you would need to hit it 120 times. Which would be two and a half minutes.

As for the spawn it depends how fast you work it. It's obviously quicker working it with area abilities than single target pets. Even pets with Goo/WW/auras (etc.) need to be engaged and in range for their effects to work.

If you're building a character for spawning it makes sense for them to have the ability to hit multiple targets at once. The absolute best skill for that is Spellweaving, as it has a huge range with Essence of Wind/Thunderstorm, and casts at 4/6, even better in Wraith Form as you leech back all the mana, and it's defensive options (Mana Shield/Gift Of Life/Attunement/Renewal, Empowerment boosts the healing powers of Mage heals too) mean you don't have to stop to heal, and you get Word Of Death for the boss.

If the goal is not to engage in PvP but still spawn I wouldn't build a Sampire or Dragoon for this as you're always exposed. Though saying that some PvPers are so bad that you can literally just stand there AI'ing the champ and they can't kill you because you're leeching too much health.