• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stealth and remove trap?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Apparently the devs felt that remove trap, which one would think would be the quietest of things to do, was louder than actually clicking madly with lockpicks to open the lock, which of course can be done while hidden..go figure.

Skelf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Damn. Was really hoping that with a lot of skill, it would work.

That’s really damn sad.

Thanks.

What is even worse, they shar the same timer... So you cannot remove trap and hide immediately. It so dysfunctional that most thieves will use Telekinesis. Really poorly though through...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I found it was easier in khaldun to not have remove trap - just make sure you've been hidden a while when unlocking the chest, pop the chest traps, and immediately after the trap damage applies hit hide (most of the time you can do it before the creatures alert, especially if you're using orange petals). The same should work in most other dungeon situations where you don't have AoE monster effects.

Hmm....maybe I’ll give that a go and try it out - it may satiate my need for what I’m after. I just wanna be a dungeon delver who doesn’t have to pound faces and only use wits!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Orange petals also help with the hiding. If you're using the petals, the poison trap usually won't reveal you. So, you only have to trip the explosion and/or dart (some chests seem to have 2 traps, but most all 3).

The strategy also works with the puzzle chests, which only hit you with one trap per failed combination, but remember the hide timer, and that the puzzle chests reveal you when you click to start trying. So, you go slow. Be hidden, wait for the timer to run 9 seconds before opening the chest to get to the combination lock, and then hide immediately on the reveal. Work on the combination, but again take long enough before entering the combination so that you will be able to hide if the trap is one of the damaging 2 instead of the poison. repeat as necessary. However, you can't really use it on the chests in the tentacle area or spawn area when active (the first from the regular damage, the second from there being too many spawn - one WILL see you)