• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So now that UO is old

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think most smart phones could handle a mobile version of the game. I wonder if BS has ever looked into this? I know it would probably be verrryyy expensive, but mobile MMOs are very popular right now. I think it would drive lots of people to the game, and gain subs. Even if in the mobile version you couldn't, say, pvp or do a champ spawn etc etc... Plus I think lots of current players would use it constantly. Anyone know if this has ever been brought up?

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't know how anyone can do anything on those tiny screens....I could NEVER play a game like UO on a phone...that's just insanity!
Could be a new client that has resized interface

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There was talk of chat and vendor functionality on a mobile client years ago, but I'm going to guess that would have come from the now-defunct U4E group.

I've seen UO on a tablet, but getting it there (and working) was too much effort.

The current devs do not have the bandwidth for what amounts to a third (and a fourth if you want to do Apple) client.

Kreskin

Adventurer
I would think it would cost a lot. It would pretty much have to be a new game from the ground up to be decent. But one idea would be to incorporate various puzzles, Mobil specific quest, maybe even the ability to grab BODS. I would avoid chat, it's already painful enough to deal with in game, let alone allowing people to continue their diatribe while they are on the can or the doctors office.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Kreskin

Adventurer
We're in a keeping the lights on situation with UO. I don't see any major development going down.
Maybe there won't be major development, but we could implement certain things without have to do a major overhaul. I suggested that folks be allowed to buy back veteran time. Returning to the game, like I recently have, is hard when people can transfer at will almost and make a little cash to keep their slice of UO operational. A lot of us don't want to play on Atlantic (nothing against Atlantic), which makes getting supplies more difficult. Granted I like the challenge, but it would be nice to have the option. In fact most people that I'm in contact with who no longer play would come back in a heartbeat if given that chance even with a stiff premium price.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Maybe there won't be major development, but we could implement certain things without have to do a major overhaul. I suggested that folks be allowed to buy back veteran time. Returning to the game, like I recently have, is hard when people can transfer at will almost and make a little cash to keep their slice of UO operational. A lot of us don't want to play on Atlantic (nothing against Atlantic), which makes getting supplies more difficult. Granted I like the challenge, but it would be nice to have the option. In fact most people that I'm in contact with who no longer play would come back in a heartbeat if given that chance even with a stiff premium price.

I'd love that, buying xfer tokens gets expensive. I've been playing 18 years but only have 12 years on my account since I didn't always pay sub on breaks. Or they could lower shard xfers to like 5$ each, and I'd buy them much more frequently.

Kreskin

Adventurer
I'd love that, buying xfer tokens gets expensive. I've been playing 18 years but only have 12 years on my account since I didn't always pay sub on breaks. Or they could lower shard xfers to like 5$ each, and I'd buy them much more frequently.

That and I think people would be more inclined to fill out other shards.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That and I think people would be more inclined to fill out other shards.

Definitely, I keep most my chars on atl because I don't have a lot of time to play, so getting resources and things like that aren't really an option.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

Your preaching to the preachers! I think they make a nice coin off transfers. Pretty sure if they had it to do over again Transfer Shields wouldn't have happened. But the way things are now it's rather unbalancing. A game where all the shards are universally accessible would be pretty exciting. People who like to hunt alone could find places to do that. People that like PvP could go to where that is happening. You could visit with friends you made on other shards. It would be really cool. But... I'm sure it's a nice coin to EA so there ya go.

Kreskin

Adventurer
Your preaching to the preachers! I think they make a nice coin off transfers. Pretty sure if they had it to do over again Transfer Shields wouldn't have happened. But the way things are now it's rather unbalancing. A game where all the shards are universally accessible would be pretty exciting. People who like to hunt alone could find places to do that. People that like PvP could go to where that is happening. You could visit with friends you made on other shards. It would be really cool. But... I'm sure it's a nice coin to EA so there ya go.
No doubt it makes them money, but if they tacked a premium price to buying your time back, it might offset the cost. I would be willing to pay several hundred for the chance. Life took twist and turns. Pay for UO or buy the kid new skates. But now my kids are grown & in college or about to finish high school, I have time and disposable income that I certainly didn't have 10 years ago. I would rather give money to upgrade my account, rather than buy an account from someone else and possibly get the shaft. On average, people she'll out around $200+ for aged accounts. They are going to do it because they basically have no choice for the long term. I would rather spend that money on my account, with characters I know and love and have a vested interest. A lot of people that I used to play with agree with that sentiment. It's what is keeping them from returning. Honestly, younger folks are not all that interested in UO. They view it as dated and with low pixel candy. But us older players who loved the game for its little complexities and community want to come back. We do miss the game, but the idea of having to compete for resources is intimidating to some. Personally, I like the challenge, but it is difficult at times and makes me reconsider my choice in coming back. I just see it being a win all the way around for both players and BS.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can kinda imagine UO running ok on a very large-screened tablet. In some odd scenario where they suddenly have lots of devving muscles and invest it into something like making a mobile touch screen UI for UO. I can't imagine who'd play it though. MMos 20 years younger than UO seem pretty old and passe and games of a world-gone-by for the crowd that plays their core-games on a mobile.

Kreskin

Adventurer
I can kinda imagine UO running ok on a very large-screened tablet. In some odd scenario where they suddenly have lots of devving muscles and invest it into something like making a mobile touch screen UI for UO. I can't imagine who'd play it though. MMos 20 years younger than UO seem pretty old and passe and games of a world-gone-by for the crowd that plays their core-games on a mobile.
They could make a PS or Xbox version. The Xbox would be easier I would think. Not my area of expertise, but a few MMOs out their do just that. Final Fantasy comes to mind right off the bat

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I can't even play on my laptop, it's too weird. I tried a version of the Sims on my tablet, which has a 10" screen, it was just awful. They don't have a big enough Dev team to do anything like that anyway. Imagine playing on a tablet and trying to go into a castle with all those gozas and masonry, the game and probably the tablet would just die! :D

Kreskin

Adventurer
I can't even play on my laptop, it's too weird. I tried a version of the Sims on my tablet, which has a 10" screen, it was just awful. They don't have a big enough Dev team to do anything like that anyway. Imagine playing on a tablet and trying to go into a castle with all those gozas and masonry, the game and probably the tablet would just die! :D
Some of the high-end ones might be able to crunch through it, but unless it has some special cooling feature (some do), it would probably be worthless. They would have to specifically tailor things for smaller devices. I can't go that route, I'm old and my eyes are not what they used to be. No all of you get the hell off my lawn

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They could make a PS or Xbox version. The Xbox would be easier I would think. Not my area of expertise, but a few MMOs out their do just that. Final Fantasy comes to mind right off the bat

I'd loveeee a full version of UO on Xbox! One that syncs with pc version would be awesome! I think they looked into it before? I could be wrong