• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

WOW classic coming

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Blizzard getting set to launch a classic WOW version will this have any impact on UO will it give EA/Broadsword the thought they should do the same ?? thoughts?? comments?? flames ?? suggestions for bringing the old phoenix art back....

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Never played WoW. When a new classic Warcraft Orcs vs Humans comes out, let me know.

EJ is the test vehicle. If enough come back, they may do something else like a new server.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets not forget to mention that the "classic" Runescape server "everybody" that plays that game was asking for is now closing as it failed badly due to lack of population...
....Classic servers only exist in your own head. Even when devs give in and make a "classic" server, people complain after a month about lack of content and things to do.....people just don't RP like they used to and never will.

Classic servers are where they belong, in the minds of older players and that is where they should stay. ;)

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You'd be surprised. I'm sure you've all dabbled on the free servers. The one I played easily had over 1K players online at prime time. Britain bank was packed. All fellucia ruleset. Very hard to farm without getting raided. So, it's not all about RP'ing with a classic shard. I'm surprised they don't just create a new one. per-rennaissance era.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You'd be surprised. I'm sure you've all dabbled on the free servers. The one I played easily had over 1K players online at prime time. Britain bank was packed. All fellucia ruleset. Very hard to farm without getting raided. So, it's not all about RP'ing with a classic shard. I'm surprised they don't just create a new one. per-rennaissance era.
Well they did make an "all PvP" shard here......only a few hard-core enough to go full on PvP at all times when you have to pay for a sub.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is human nature to reject no and keep asking. Besides, how do you know the next time someone asks, the Dev's won't say yes? That's right, you don't know only they know that. if they keep saying no that means they are still thinking about it, when they begin ignoring the question altogether that's when they truly have stopped considering it. I personally don't think a classic shard would work, but concede that people have the right to ask as often as they want.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is human nature to reject no and keep asking. Besides, how do you know the next time someone asks, the Dev's won't say yes? That's right, you don't know only they know that. if they keep saying no that means they are still thinking about it, when they begin ignoring the question altogether that's when they truly have stopped considering it. I personally don't think a classic shard would work, but concede that people have the right to ask as often as they want.
Doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result. ~Insanity

Nothing pertinent to the issue has changed since the last time they said no. We still only have 2 coders, no pre-AoS backup and a clearly greedy, apathetic EA. At the party, the devs didn't just say no, they said "F NO!"

They could beat their heads against the Great Wall and get better results.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
it's not insanity when it comes to the DEV's. they change their minds all the time. it doesn't hurt anything to ask. kinda like Slayvite and I pushing to have the Phoenix changed back. will it ever happen? likely not. will he and I ever quit asking to have it changed back? likely not.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Key word is free, there

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The biggest problem with the classic shard would be the pkers not liking the lack of sheep to slaughter and rob, they'd just have other pkers and PvPers around. Not what they would enjoy so the pkers would leave the new classic shard. Would enough PvPers stay there to make the classic shard worth the Devs time?

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The biggest problem with the classic shard would be the pkers not liking the lack of sheep to slaughter and rob, they'd just have other pkers and PvPers around. Not what they would enjoy so the pkers would leave the new classic shard. Would enough PvPers stay there to make the classic shard worth the Devs time?
Who knows, as I said in my post you quoted I personally don’t think it will work.

Philly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
If you want Classic go play on Seige. You can even have 2 houses when using that shard for a 2nd Home for free....

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Moved this thread to a more appropriate forum

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Lets not forget to mention that the "classic" Runescape server "everybody" that plays that game was asking for is now closing as it failed badly due to lack of population...
That's not at all why it's closing. It's had less players than the newer version for years and nobody cared. They are closing it because they no longer have the ability to run the old technology efficiently anymore, it's just too old and is broken. The developers said themselves they're unable to catch cheaters and are having problems keeping accounts safe on the classic version of the game because the technology is just too far behind.

Direct quote from their shutdown announcement:

"With advancements in technology helping to further support both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, our tools are no longer compatible with Classic. This is particularly a problem with our community safety and macro detection tools. The game is now easily abused with the use of 3rd party macro tools, and botting has become an increasing issue."

RuneScape Classic: Farewell

Instead of allowing cheaters to take over the servers and risking the safety of their community's accounts, they are closing it instead. I actually respect them a lot for telling the truth and admitting they can't beat the cheaters anymore so can't keep the servers online.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
put it back in the other forum it's a UO related topic quit hiding it in random forum no one even looks at.
How is WOW a UO related subject. So if your buddy jumps off a bridge you take that as a buddy related subject and jump off with him/her.

Syncros

Adventurer
"With advancements in technology helping to further support both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, our tools are no longer compatible with Classic. This is particularly a problem with our community safety and macro detection tools. The game is now easily abused with the use of 3rd party macro tools, and botting has become an increasing issue."

RuneScape Classic: Farewell.
Yea at least they admitted it where as UO they just say " hey they are paying customers too so leave it at that!"

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How many times do the devs need to say "NO!" before it sinks in?
As many as they shot down the free to play a couple years ago? Just because you dont like the idea, you dont have to come in and **** all over it.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
....Classic servers only exist in your own head. Even when devs give in and make a "classic" server, people complain after a month about lack of content and things to do.....people just don't RP like they used to and never will.

Classic servers are where they belong, in the minds of older players and that is where they should stay. ;)
Nah..the appeal seems pretty undeniable. I mean, the appeal and joy clearly remains even in a scenario where the classic server turns from an idealized dream&golden memories into a reality. Various pirated takes on " classic" ruleset of UO have always been very popular. Similarly, the reason Bliz is introducing classic ruleset to WoW has everything to do with the immense popularity of pirate servers running classic vanilla wow. For years, Blizzard devs were a bit arrogant about it all; " You think you want classic servers...but you really don't! Just nostalgia bla bla " Eventually a situation evolved where flimsy, shady Russian classic wow servers had a huge and passionate international fan community of hundreds of thousands of people. It kinda shushed them Bliz devs.

Last edited:

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think most that play now would like to go back to the pre Legendary era. Maybe around ML. Where crafters actually mattered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noxis

Visitor
Blizzard getting set to launch a classic WOW version will this have any impact on UO will it give EA/Broadsword the thought they should do the same ?? thoughts?? comments?? flames ?? suggestions for bringing the old phoenix art back....
Classic Uo ,has had its own charme, in my opinion it might be nice to play classic for a few hours a week. But i like custom housing and new gameplay, too.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Classic Uo ,has had its own charme, in my opinion it might be nice to play classic for a few hours a week. But i like custom housing and new gameplay, too.
I agree

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk