• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Keep Can Not Be Converted

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a Keep that says, "This House is Properly Placed But Can Not Be Converted" What would be preventing this Keep from being able to convert to a new design?

Thanks!

Schatzi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have one I can not convert but it is due to a tree in the way. But the one I did convert went without a hitch (Phew).

Larry Lee

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I converted mine on Siege and it said it was properly placed before conversion. The conversion was flawless. But now my keep says it is improperly placed.

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I converted mine on Siege and it said it was properly placed before conversion. The conversion was flawless. But now my keep says it is improperly placed.
You would think that the system would not allow it to be improperly placed. It might change to properly placed after server maintenance tonight.

uokings7

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If there are any obstructions in the indentations on the East, West, or North sides it won't be properly placed. Could be a big rock, tree, bush, mushrooms. Anything like that in those spaces?

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When you convert, are you locked into the exact spot of the existing Keep or Castle, or are you able to move it around to clear obstacles?

Larry Lee

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When you convert, are you locked into the exact spot of the existing Keep or Castle, or are you able to move it around to clear obstacles?
I suppose you could drop your keep and replace but if you use the convert option it replces your old keep instantly.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are castles supposed to be working to convert? Mine says all is fine but when i click ok nothing happens, no message, nothing, just sits there as it was. I don't have any items inside accept locked down chests. I see nothing outside blocking, nothing. Is it live on Siege?

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I suppose you could drop your keep and replace but if you use the convert option it replces your old keep instantly.
That is the worst idea ever...
Over the years the limitations for placing changed. If he droop it he maybe cannot place it again

Nathan

Adventurer
Did you by chance hit shift + control and move around the keep on all levels? I thought I had all tiles up last night and I didn't. Took me about 20 tries until I got them all. Had a wall i forgot about and two blocks lol

Larry Lee

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is the worst idea ever...
Over the years the limitations for placing changed. If he droop it he maybe cannot place it again
I agree - but if he has no choice..

The really bad part about this is I think they did change the keep foot print as of the last publish.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are castles supposed to be working to convert? Mine says all is fine but when i click ok nothing happens, no message, nothing, just sits there as it was. I don't have any items inside accept locked down chests. I see nothing outside blocking, nothing. Is it live on Siege?
upload_2018-9-21_23-45-21.png

It tells you if you can not convert. :(

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As it turns out there was a goza under the front steps of my castle. Being a goza it didn't show up with COT (in EC not sure if it would with cc as not installed) or by cntrl-shift to get an object handle. I packed everything pretty much so the only content in my castle was locked down chests.

I paged a gm twice last night over the space of 8 hrs to no avail, posted on the other forum and bleak said to give him the directions, but before that i paged a gm again the this morning and gm Chernabog arrived to save the day. Amazing how bloody frustrating ONE goza can be.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As it turns out there was a goza under the front steps of my castle. Being a goza it didn't show up with COT (in EC not sure if it would with cc as not installed) or by cntrl-shift to get an object handle. I packed everything pretty much so the only content in my castle was locked down chests.

I paged a gm twice last night over the space of 8 hrs to no avail, posted on the other forum and bleak said to give him the directions, but before that i paged a gm again the this morning and gm Chernabog arrived to save the day. Amazing how bloody frustrating ONE goza can be.
I just sized my keep cuz of one under my step

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Be aware also that you used to be able to place houses on land that had a "hole" by using something else to "level it out" like mandrake or such.
These were classed as properly placed but the Dev's patched out this practice many years ago, so while your Keep may be properly placed, there is a chance you won't be able to place ANYTHING in the same spot if you drop the keep.

These questions and many more were brought to the attention of Mesanna and the Devs many.....many times, but they refused to believe us until they rolled out the new castle designs.....and even then we had to prove it.

They know nothing about their own game and care even less.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
*Steps on the Soapbox* To this day all I wanted on my Keeps is access to the empty space, I do not wish to drop a keep to place the lone Keep winner, nor do I wish to convert my keep to the lone Keep winner, just access to the empty space. Give us the abilities, a tool, to smash a hole in the wall, knock a wall down, move a wall, put a secret door in, a little bit of DIY and I would be a very happy camper. *steps off the soapbox*

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is the converting cost something you can get back if you dismantle? Example: I convert my keep into 30 million costing one to try it out. I don't like it and take the keep down entirely. Will I get that 30 mils back in a fashion similar to placement cost of he older houses?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If you get the gold back then how can they say that it's a gold sink? Surely the point of a gold sink is that the gold is now gone....*scratches head*

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you get the gold back then how can they say that it's a gold sink? Surely the point of a gold sink is that the gold is now gone....*scratches head*
If you change to a different one, you do not get the gold back.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
So do you get the gold back or not? Some people are saying you do and some are saying you don't. :eek:

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Oh I see, thank you, hmm I hope this is made clear on the gump when you place! :D

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UPDATE: I have completely emptied the Keep and it still says "This House is Properly Placed but Can Not be Converted". I paged a GM and received a message that they do not assist with house placement issues.

Thanks!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Has nothing to do with being empty. There is a tree or rock in a bad spot.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or it was placed before housing rules changed many years ago using a nice little "trick".
Like many.....many Castles and Keeps were.

NinjaSampire

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I just wished there was a way to tell if the unable to convert was a missed item or if it was due to lay of land or obstruction.

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I just wished there was a way to tell if the unable to convert was a missed item or if it was due to lay of land or obstruction.
You mean like a message on the keep house sign that says "This House is Properly Placed but Can Not be Converted"?

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or it was placed before housing rules changed many years ago using a nice little "trick".
Like many.....many Castles and Keeps were.
No exploits, I placed it myself. There is a rock under the north east corner that does not affect placement of regular Keeps. Could this be a problem with the new design?

Thanks!

NinjaSampire

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No like this house is properly placed; but there are unseeable objects preventing conversion. I removed everything from my keep and took to my brothers tower. There was nothing at all showing in the courtyards and it says same message. I would not have removed all my Gozas and decorations if I new that it was a hidden terrain issue in order to convert.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
These new houses use a different foundation so that rock may stop it. Is the spot on TC open, if so go there and see what you can do. You may have to move the keep. If you have to move it use the resize function.

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If it was do to you missing an item, you'd get the error in the process of converting. If it was an terrain issue, you'd clearly see it on the sign.

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These new houses use a different foundation so that rock may stop it. Is the spot on TC open, if so go there and see what you can do. You may have to move the keep. If you have to move it use the resize function.
The location on Test Center has one of the new Keep designs, (Not the winning design) and it is placed to the “side” of the rock that is under my Keep.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also don't forget that the Customisable house also needs 4 or 5 clear tiles Infront of the South side of the plot and 3 (I think) to the east and west.
Any blocking items or uneven land there or even in the "alcove" bits of the keep will block placement of the new designs.
Remember what gets placed is basically a square foot-print and not the old shape of the Keep, even if whats on top of the footprint is smaller.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Spent all week emptying out UO hubby fel castle to resize it to move it over cuz of a tree in the court yard. my big mistake was trying to put in the new castle instead of the classic castle. I was sent to the raft with the gate finally got back saw I placed no castle I put down a classic castle then converted it.to miss echo's castle for him.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UPDATE: I have completely emptied the Keep and it still says "This House is Properly Placed but Can Not be Converted". I paged a GM and received a message that they do not assist with house placement issues.

Thanks!
That's true they can't assist years ago one assist my nephew. The gm took his house in guard zone down and replaced it cuz of a broken door . my nephew lost the spot the GM lost his job. least the placed all his stuff in his bank box.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The location on Test Center has one of the new Keep designs, (Not the winning design) and it is placed to the “side” of the rock that is under my Keep.
Can you slide you keep over to the spot that is on TC? If so use the resize on the house sign to move it. I have done this a number of times sliding Castles to a few spaces left, right or back.

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also don't forget that the Customisable house also needs 4 or 5 clear tiles Infront of the South side of the plot and 3 (I think) to the east and west.
Any blocking items or uneven land there or even in the "alcove" bits of the keep will block placement of the new designs.
Remember what gets placed is basically a square foot-print and not the old shape of the Keep, even if whats on top of the footprint is smaller.
I don't understand the clear distance requirement mentioned for the south. There are plots everywhere, including inside the walls of Luna, that do not have that much clearance. The new Keep design on test center only has 2 tiles between the south steps and some trees.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It does get complicated as not all tree's will block placement if infront of the house steps.
We asked and asked for the devs to put up clear updated house placement rules when this whole thing started but they wouldn't (because they don't know themselves)

UO Stratics - Better Homes and Castles

I hope this link explains it better than I did. :)
You're not alone though, only about 60% of all Castles / Keeps can take advantage of these new designs.