• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gold sink

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think only remotely feasible way for Broadsword to "sell gold" would be via subscription tokens. One would buy a 30 days sub token from Broadsword for 20 bux, then sell it for a veteran for 500 mils or whatnot. This way Broadsword would not generate hundreds of millions of gold out of thin air(would be a real bad idea) but instead, distribute what already is there more evenly among players. I'm not sure if UO can or should do it.(Some dupers sitting on trillions of gold, buying all the tokens and efficiently turn UO free for them on top of it all)

WoW has it up and running quite nicely -there, devs keep an eye on the sub token market. They don't fully control the price but ensure it never skyrockets or falls in some pernament, unpredictable way. Players can only sell/buy for a specific price in a specific place. Lessens the amount of exploiting, scams etc.

In a way, this is something that has been in the game for years though. Plenty of desirable tokens in item shop. Ones you can turn into gold with ease, if you feel you can spend the Euros.
I respectfully disagree. This is exactly how you generate tons of gold out of thin air. The moment you allow subscription tokens to be traded for gold, it would create huge incentive for people to farm gold. If before , all of the scripters could sell say 10 plat a week total (making up numbers as I go), because that's what the lazy were willing to buy, now you have all this additional demand from the players who don't want to spend real money on subs. Price of gold goes up - scripters go into overdrive. All of a sudden you have 100 plat generated and sold a week.
In the end, the inflation will most likely go down, because this is an effective gold sink. However, the price for that will be sharp decline in revenue for BS/EA. And I don't think this is a good trade.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aren't there sites/players that sell gametime for gold and please explain how selling an item in game that you paid real money for to a player considered a gold sink, the gold is still in the game just in somebodies hands. Doesn't a "gold sink" remove gold from the game?

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I respectfully disagree. This is exactly how you generate tons of gold out of thin air. The moment you allow subscription tokens to be traded for gold, it would create huge incentive for people to farm gold. If before , all of the scripters could sell say 10 plat a week total (making up numbers as I go), because that's what the lazy were willing to buy, now you have all this additional demand from the players who don't want to spend real money on subs. Price of gold goes up - scripters go into overdrive. All of a sudden you have 100 plat generated and sold a week.
In the end, the inflation will most likely go down, because this is an effective gold sink. However, the price for that will be sharp decline in revenue for BS/EA. And I don't think this is a good trade.
As I said, I'm not sure if it is a great idea for Broadsword/UO either, Largely due to rampart scripting and duping and so on. FWIW, it works great in WoW. At least over there, it has hurt the gold sellers quite a bit.

However, you kinda lost me with the boldened bits. Within the scenario I suggested, not a single subscription token is generated due to player buying one for UO gold - all of them are created by somebody buying one from Broadsword for real life money. UO Gold, duped, scripted or orherwise, steps into picture only after token has been bought from Broadsword for IRL cash. Original buyer of the token has the option to turn it into UO gold by selling it.

Last edited:

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
However, you kinda lost me with the boldened bits. Within the scenario I suggested, not a single subscription token is generated due to player buying one for UO gold - all of them are created by somebody buying one from Broadsword for real life money. UO Gold, duped, scripted or orherwise, steps into picture only after token has been bought from Broadsword for IRL cash. Original buyer of the token has the option to turn it into UO gold by selling it.
Argh, no I had a brain fart. Disregard what I wrote. You were right.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think his name was Cal, the guy right before Bannie said that they had a database with everything and that they knew everything you have done so what does that tell you. Bonnie was even tell people at an M&G or was it with just a group of people that she knew every program they were running and proceeded to tell them and that was even talked about here on stratics. I am sorry but having worked in the field from 1973 on and working with programs that collected massive amounts of data, military wants to know everything, even back then was easy to retrieve data and they are saying they can't more like they don not want to, sorry.
Wasn't there some issue about gold being "launderable"? Cause you could dupe a check, then cash it right away? I dunno. If checks still exist they shouldn't be cashable.