• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ranged AOE Spells?

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was wondering why all ranged AOE spells do not work the same in how they deal their damage.

Specifically, nether cyclone is a powerful AOE that hits everyone without splitting the damage.

Hailstorm, chain lightning, and meteor swarm all used to be like this as well but it was changed because it was too powerful. I am just curious if it was intended to have a ranged AOE that does NOT split the damage with all of the surrounding targets?

Thanks!

@messana @Bleak @kyronos

Izzy MBC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'd be all for extra mana consumption to reflect the additional targets of the 7th circle AoE's, and Earthquake, if changes were ever made again.

As it currently stands, I appreciate the splitting of damage doesn't occur until at least 3 mobs are involved, so it's not an entirely non-sensical design... spoken as a general observation.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Nether has its OWN unique limiter.

Essentially, it's CHAOS DAMAGE. One target might get hit with cold, the mob next to it with poison or fire. As such, it's great against small stuff, better than the magery spells - but there's no guarantee that against things with 1-3 really high resists, that you will do much (or any, if there is a 100% resist) damage.

Nether has another advantage too - you still get the message about casting in town, but as long as you have a valid target, you can still cast it in town. You have to ACTUALLY TARGET one of the mobs, though - not just get close. Trying to hit an empty spot to get the AoE on multiple targets that aren't clustered tight enough has the same "you can't cast this in town!" issue as CL or MS. Given that Trade Orders in Britain (especially the ones last year's event cycle) STILL can have ambushers start spawning before you get half-way from the west bridge to the edges of the guard zone in West Britain (the farms, most of the way to the moongate, even half-way INTO the mountain pass between Skara and Britain), this makes Nether the only functional AoE that doesn't come from a weapon, pet or mastery.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nether has its OWN unique limiter.

Essentially, it's CHAOS DAMAGE. One target might get hit with cold, the mob next to it with poison or fire. As such, it's great against small stuff, better than the magery spells - but there's no guarantee that against things with 1-3 really high resists, that you will do much (or any, if there is a 100% resist) damage.

Nether has another advantage too - you still get the message about casting in town, but as long as you have a valid target, you can still cast it in town. You have to ACTUALLY TARGET one of the mobs, though - not just get close. Trying to hit an empty spot to get the AoE on multiple targets that aren't clustered tight enough has the same "you can't cast this in town!" issue as CL or MS. Given that Trade Orders in Britain (especially the ones last year's event cycle) STILL can have ambushers start spawning before you get half-way from the west bridge to the edges of the guard zone in West Britain (the farms, most of the way to the moongate, even half-way INTO the mountain pass between Skara and Britain), this makes Nether the only functional AoE that doesn't come from a weapon, pet or mastery.
I understand what it does.

It still hits every target in the AOE with full damage in whatever chaos category it roles on and doesn't split damage. That is the issue. I get pvmers may like it, but it is an oversight for pvp. No other ranged AOE works like that and all the ones that used to got changed because of how powerful it was.

Effort

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
But c'mon, remember the days of "swarms up"! This one spell is a little bit of nastalgia

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But c'mon, remember the days of "swarms up"! This one spell is a little bit of nastalgia
You can still do that- except it splits damage because it was overly powerful to have a spell hitting everyone for 35-40 damage.