• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Just Let Us Have Custom Castles & Keeps Already! Forget the Contest!

Castles & Keeps Should Be Customizable

• Total voters

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
I’d love to have a custom castle or keep. I used the tool on test and yes it crashed a lot but I don’t care. Crashes are tolerable as long as I don’t lose the spot or my stuff. As nice as some of the designs are nothing will be as satisfying as my own design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As has been said many times.... Custom 18x18s are laggy enough. Why make even worse ones

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The lag from a bunch of custom castles in one area (Crossroads, Crescent Mountains) would be NASTY - especially if someone also tacked on extra floors via masonry.

Every tile's ID, location/position and hue would have to be streamed to your PC...all without ever setting foot on the plot.

The advantage of prefab houses is that the client already knows what they look like and doesn't have to download anything until you enter.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The lag from a bunch of custom castles in one area (Crossroads, Crescent Mountains) would be NASTY - especially if someone also tacked on extra floors via masonry.

Every tile's ID, location/position and hue would have to be streamed to your PC...all without ever setting foot on the plot.

The advantage of prefab houses is that the client already knows what they look like and doesn't have to download anything until you enter.
I dont think that is true unless there is a bug in my client.

I live next to a castle that is 4 or 5 levels and i never get lag there. It does not show up unless i step on his front steps.

Everyhouse i come across i eather is a blank slab or just the outside of the home untill i step onto it.

Sometimes i even see homes that are no longer there. Ie when i came back the last time a few of the homes in luna where the same just new owners looked the same but change look when i walked on the steps. I had nubins plot but diffent owner and changed the look when i frist steped on it.

Heck i sometimes see stuff in private homes. So eather my clinet is bug or am just luckly.

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't ever make them customizable. Just check the pictures in the first sticky thread related to this topic. The majority of the design show very clearly why castles and keeps should never be customizable!
I'd just add floor tiles and doors to the 3 inner sections of the keep and be happy with it.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My worst nightmare... the devs let us have 3 new designs, all will be castles. All will be odd to me. None will be mine Yikes!! Anyways to everyone who does not like one design out of 298 entries. Build your own. We did you can.
As for opening the inner keep, yes awesome idea brought up a bazillion times, and went nowhere.
I ask those who disliked the entries to please post pics of their ingame custom homes. What did you build?

I would like custom castle and keep plots very much.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I only had 2 hrs to do my castle if i had time it would have been much better mine is under vanbar i think its in the 130 or 140.

This is my 18x18 beforebi toke sone items off to bring to my castle

Attachments

Syncros

Adventurer
I used the tool in Ec i never crashed must be a CC thing
I use EC and it crashed on me a few times making my castle. The amount of the times it also slowed down/lagged was a lot as well. Just shows the issues with the tool that should be fixed of course I would sooner just like to see it updated to a more modern interface.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
In the end I think the Dev team would have had a lot less work if they had just redesigned the castle and keep themselves, it wouldn't have taken 18 months. All that needed adjusting were the interior walls and stairs and maybe add a couple of archways for extra access. The faults and defects could have been put right fairly quickly. I really don't want fully customisable huge plots but I'm worried we will end up with new designs nobody will actually use.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
lets be honest here people, after looking at all the castles that where submitted we should NEVER be allowed to have that power in real game.
some of the people who made those monstrosities should be slapped..... and vigorously as well!

the thought of seeing that 32x32 Borg Cube made out of Ice Blue Crystal makes my eyes vomit pixilated bile.

its a hard no from me on the asked question.

there is such a simple fix to this Castle and Keep issue.
1) knock down the dead walls on the base floor of keeps and slap down some tiles, open that ground floor up.
2) put 2 doors just inside the main door on castes where the murder holes are so people can go directly down those hallways should they choose.
3) make the current Castles and Keeps in different colors. Black.... old brick..... new light brick.

seriously, thats all that is needed for this revamp.

after taking a evening and going and looking at all the castles i could then looking at every single one on the thread about them i can honestly say that not 1 design caught my eye. Some where not bad, but there is nothing there i would pick over the current design.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
lets be honest here people, after looking at all the castles that where submitted we should NEVER be allowed to have that power in real game.
some of the people who made those monstrosities should be slapped..... and vigorously as well!
Last time I checked, UO was a sandbox. Who are you to impose your sense of aesthetics on others? If somebody likes to have a fluorescent yellow Borg cube - let them. You have an option to build whatever pleases you.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sure they let us do that...
No matter what designs win people will **** them to cube anyway.

Also im not sure if the assumption is correct that the custom houses create more lag than the non custom.

The only lag I experience is when It come to granite and goza.
Also the lock down item may raise lag a bit.

I have 3 17x18 fully decorated and I don't have any lag

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't ever make them customizable. Just check the pictures in the first sticky thread related to this topic. The majority of the design show very clearly why castles and keeps should never be customizable!
How on earth is having entire Felucca and increasingly savage bits of Trammel being filled with the same exact lame old castle design any better? I think they absolutely should be customizable, it'd add so many opportunities for people who like designing em. So many opportunities for the RP community.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dunno, I think a few I've seen have been just fine.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
heh, and this is why. 100%. I know you're joking, but they would be there, and I have a feeling they would be not infrequent.
I am indeed joking, but I also would build one just to take a picture and post on here

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Giving people customizable Keep/Castle plots would liven up the housing scene. Housing today is boring. Yes the Keeps/Castles are that way now but at least they are traditional. To me, this contest would be better off for something like New Mini-House Deeds (which I'm sure is coming soon now that it has been mentioned). Even if I was the winner, I don't think I would want to run around the shard and seeing 40 houses the same as mine. Would you really buy a Blue Vehicle if everyone else on the block has a Blue Vehicle?

Izzy MBC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I feel like I'm too ignorant to ask this question... so I'm going to be vague about it; does anything change with Castles which have been awarded UO Historical Society banners?

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Question also, once you change castle or keep to new design how hard will it be to change it back? I saw on the menu a new line something about secure replacement. Maybe that's how?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I feel like I'm too ignorant to ask this question... so I'm going to be vague about it; does anything change with Castles which have been awarded UO Historical Society banners?
Nothing should happen, the banner isn’t actually attached to the house it’s just locked down permanently outside. If a house with a banner IDOC’s you can just put down a new house where it was and still have the banner there. So changing or re-placing castles should have no effect on them.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If the banner is touching house edge, might it block new foundation placement?

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The votes are beginning now. All characters with the same name lined up. One after the other. :(

and what happened to the EJ gates? Did someone use thta to vote? eeek

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
So in other words it's like everything else here, rampant cheating wins the day! Let's hope they all vote for something that gets veto'd like a borg cube or a big empty plot.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
what is a borg cube? seen a lot of borg cubes, they are called 18x18s. they should have both fully customizable and pre-fub castles/keeps

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So in other words it's like everything else here, rampant cheating wins the day! Let's hope they all vote for something that gets veto'd like a borg cube or a big empty plot.
what has this to do with cheating?
its perfectly fine to pay 100 accounts and use them to vote.

Effort

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
You've got a 5 person dev team of 2 solid coders, 1 game obsessed head dev, and some filler.

Stop complaining and piling stuff on their plate and work with them. Helpful bug reporting, useful feedback, not a bunch of useless drivel about your goofy e-house not being exactly what you want.

Help your dev team, and stop your useless complaining without a thought our solutjon

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Oh I didn't even think of actually paying people, I thought they made a load of EJ accounts for votes! I wasn't sure if EJ accounts could vote though....

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll just say...

I hope with the contest winning houses they make some changes.

1. keep is fine
2. gothic rose - nice but pink floors? ugh
3. an absolute travesty. I have no idea how this voted to 3rd place. This ahd to be a case of purchased votes.
3. (tied) empty plot - lol

So if you own a castle, as of right now, it looks like your options are a gothic castle with pink floors, an absolute disaster, or an empty plot. to put your stuff on.

I mean seriously?

If you own a castle these are your options:

upload_2018-8-29_16-34-10.png

upload_2018-8-29_16-34-58.png

Effort

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
They should have done it in house
None of these are in the spirit of Ultima. A lot of effort which is neat but woof.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Those are horrid! Good grief. Proves that players have no taste (except perhaps in their mouth). <shudder>

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Those 2 are the winners?

Holy ****.

Your honor, I'll rest my case.

The good news I'll safe 10 Plat.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For the love of god just release a modified version of the current castle/keeps as an option for people.
Yes give us the metal colors as choices.

I am not sure how this could happen. But on the other side people voted trump as president... I guess I should not be surprised but amazed/disgusted

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes give us the metal colors as choices.

I am not sure how this could happen. But on the other side people voted trump as president... I guess I should not be surprised but amazed/disgusted
More like the people that voted for harambe.

I truely think that one got in on home owner name recognition or the fact that person has at least 20 accounts themselves.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
One and two are fine even if not everyone's cup of team how three got so many votes baffles me as first glance i thought maybe they left it so people could customize to their liking with but a deeper look it seems like it was just left unfinished.....

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1 needs big lava tile fireplace removed
2. Needs grey floors to replace pink floors
3. Wtf? Replace with modified version of classic castle.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
More like the people that voted for harambe.

I truely think that one got in on home owner name recognition or the fact that person has at least 20 accounts themselves.
Jealous because a Llama won?

They were on test center daily talking to players. They talked to players on their home shards and friends shards. They won by asking for players to go look and vote for their choice.

Let the conspiracy theories begin. :tinhat:

I saw them working the votes and having fun in a game. Those who thought a guild would win..:D Looks like theres no guild that can put together 61 votes!

The Llamas won by a landslide.

:cheerleader::cheerleader:GO Llamas :cheerleader::cheerleader:

:grouphug:
and a llama bow.