• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vet reward balance for younger players

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
apologise if I mistake broadsword/origin etc. So the origin store, whoever sells the sovereigns and teleported tiles etc. Price wise its not up to me of course, so whatever the sovereign cost would be to purchase.

In an ideal world, I would want them exactly the same as the vet rewards, however, if this is going to cause a problem to vets (who I really do not want to offend) then I have spoken with others here about maybe the shield fires out 1 token every 2 months, that was the vets still have the reward they "earned" but we can get a working alternative, like the teleporters

I would be interested to know how many Vets would like to buy extra shields if they did not have enough picks to select all they wanted. This would at least give them a chance to own more.
And make then acct bound
And again you keep side stepping the question. The current cost for 2 shard shields is the account needs to be at least 14 years old and the cheapest cost for that is $1,680 US to start and an additional $120 US for 2 more after that. Yes we also get to play UO at the same time but as these are rewards then UO has placed the price on them with the understanding EA owns UO and still makes the final decision. Now you are asking UO to go to EA with your idea and you need to give them figures to work with because EA has already said what the cost is.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So your idea is to charge me to go form 8/9 years to 14 years? if so I would expect the full 14 year package not just the shields so your idea does not really make sense?

They did make teleported tiles available to everyone, albeit inferior but still very usable, so I don't understand why they won't with shard shields. Maybe I token every 2 months as opposed to the 1 month vets enjoy?
What is a 14 year package? I missed that.
Pay the $120 for a missed year and you get an account year and a pick. That's how I got each year.

Should I be asking for gift tokens I missed because I did not log on to get them?

So, you just want the rewards without the requirements being met. I understand now.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll just leave this little titbit here...…

….Who do you think runs the only 3rd party site in UO that doesn't get insta banned and gets to keep all the RL cash?...……..:tinhat:

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And again you keep side stepping the question. The current cost for 2 shard shields is the account needs to be at least 14 years old and the cheapest cost for that is $1,680 US to start and an additional $120 US for 2 more after that. Yes we also get to play UO at the same time but as these are rewards then UO has placed the price on them with the understanding EA owns UO and still makes the final decision. Now you are asking UO to go to EA with your idea and you need to give them figures to work with because EA has already said what the cost is.
I am not trying to side step the question. Forgive me but I do not really understand your question.
I think you are saying, if I want shard shields I have to pay the equivalent of 14 years sub, but not to get my acct upgraded? just the shields, Not thats a stupid idea

They did NOT do this with teleporter tiles did they, they produced inferior ones for the not worthy to buy and use
THIS is what I have been proposing from the beginning. I don't remember the vets getting offended by the introduction of the re chargeable teleporters?

As I see it, the vets are clamming up as they do not want the lesser players enjoying the free movement they enjoy. Says a lot

So Frodo, why are YOU so against the idea of younger players buying (from who ever it is, Origin EA, I dont care, whoever sells the official teleporters ) you are just trying to flannel the post and confuse things.

Izzy MBC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
After reading through the whole thread, I've "changed my mind", after hearing everyones thoughts.

I agree with what some others have said, they shouldn't exist. The shields have been in the game for over 4 years? They need to be removed; they need to be converted to a decorative only item, or allow them to be cashed in for another vet reward somehow.

This whole thread has mostly been about shard shields, which isn't even directly referenced in the Thread Title, but it's the biggest (and only?) point of contention.

As others have also said, and again, as the Thread Title sadly indicates, there should be no contention between new players and veterans (with their rewards) at all, as there should be no such 'significant' benefit. But there is, and it's perhaps a betrayal of what Veteran Rewards are about - which is why making an Etheral Mount as Year 1 seems fairer, since having an invincible, blessed, pocketable mount is arguably a benefit.

Disable shard shields. If people are right, it'll help return individual/unique economies to the shards. The shards should be arguably more separated than they are now. Perhaps it was an attempted band aid to mitigate the falling player numbers on the thinner population shards, but at any rate, awarding such an item only via Vet Reward appears to be a mistake.

Maybe $20, or whatever, for a transfer token was the only and best solution, to solve rare issues where perhaps you want to permanently move to another shard to be with friends - and not so you can just ferry goods around between shards for a profit (in-game or IRL currency).

Also, converting the Shard Shield to a purchasable item (to allow all players to have access to it) is a bad idea, it just needs to go. Let the transfer tokens do their job. *Puts on his flame resistant suit*

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Taking away shards shields will not increase the population Or amount of items on vendors on dead shards.

That's just an unrealistic expectation.

They may have saved some of the dead shards from total collapse.
There are more players on Atlantic, therefore more items.

Most shard transfer users go to shop. Not go to sell.

I have given away trained pets to atlantians that are afraid to use the training system. Never sold one there but others do

On LS if you can not find someone that transfers weekly, you do not have chat on.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am not trying to side step the question. Forgive me but I do not really understand your question.
I think you are saying, if I want shard shields I have to pay the equivalent of 14 years sub, but not to get my acct upgraded? just the shields, Not thats a stupid idea

They did NOT do this with teleporter tiles did they, they produced inferior ones for the not worthy to buy and use
THIS is what I have been proposing from the beginning. I don't remember the vets getting offended by the introduction of the re chargeable teleporters?

As I see it, the vets are clamming up as they do not want the lesser players enjoying the free movement they enjoy. Says a lot

So Frodo, why are YOU so against the idea of younger players buying (from who ever it is, Origin EA, I dont care, whoever sells the official teleporters ) you are just trying to flannel the post and confuse things.
You can not compare teleporters to Shard Shields or any other vet reward for that matter. You are reading a lot of things I never said. Here I will throw out a number for you and we can go from there. Rechargeable Shard Shields with 10 charges will cost 10,000 Sovereigns ($100US), that is half the price of Char Xfer Tokens. You must, like the shard shield, pick the shard you want and to get back home you will need to purchase another shard shield. Also recharge tokens will be sold for 1000 sovereigns ($10US) each. These will come in Token Form so players may sell them to other players but once claimed they will be account bound. My question to you is why do you think UO should become a Solialist based game?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
they made teleport tiles for everyone, no reason why they cant make shard shield of some sort for everyone
Teleport tiles are sold to combat the poor original design of castles and keeps, since not everyone wants the wonky ladders.

The item shop teleporters aren't exactly like the vet reward version either, the reward version do not require charges. It's enough of a difference to make the vet version more desireable.

shard shields are account bound, so cant be traded, unlike most other vet rewards
Your point? Oh, right, this isn't actually about a noble crusade against a malicious inequity between mean old vets and bright-eyed, eager newbs. You want shard shields but just can't wait. Tough.

Whether or not the shields should have even been introduced or not is moot at this point. It's been 7 years now, the horse isn't just out of the barn, the barn burned down and a crystal Borg cube was built in its place. Killing that market would probably kill the game, nearly everything revolves around it - for good or for ill.

Everyone I know who has shields transfers stuff for others whenever they travel, gratis. What mean, greedy vets they are! :rolleyes2:

I'm just going to place this right here...
CheesePlate.jpg

Jolt

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
BULLETIN! We are special. We are the only reason you can still play this game . We are the reason this game still generates money .And we are the only reason that you can sit and complain about what you can't have. Ergo Vet Reward. Each time a reward came out it was meant to make something easier or more fun . And I'll be here long after you get bored with a game that was predicted to run just 2 years YES I am special and I deserve to be able to use something you cannot .go buy a shard transfer token just like we did for years.
I think this is the most tragic thing I've ever read on the internet.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think this is the most tragic thing I've ever read on the internet.
While I see where you're coming from, you need to understand something that is in this whole thread. Regardless of shard shields or anything relating to vet items ... there are many, many people who have paid $10US-$14US per month (more in the EU I believe) to play this game in their chosen manner., To have someone - ANYONE - come along and state they should be able to get handed to them what these folks have earned will raise a lot of hackles.

Also, this is not the first time this subject has come up ... it just seems to have REALLY hit people the wrong way. Can't say I blame them as I have contributed a bit of time here myself.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
While I see where you're coming from, you need to understand something that is in this whole thread. Regardless of shard shields or anything relating to vet items ... there are many, many people who have paid $10US-$14US per month (more in the EU I believe) to play this game in their chosen manner., To have someone - ANYONE - come along and state they should be able to get handed to them what these folks have earned will raise a lot of hackles.

Also, this is not the first time this subject has come up ... it just seems to have REALLY hit people the wrong way. Can't say I blame them as I have contributed a bit of time here myself.
This is crap. You did not pay 14 years for shield but for being able to login.

These folks did not have "earned" a **** They paid for a service.

Thats obviously hard to understand for some.

Stuff like this or not taking care about dupes etc is making the game less desirable for new joiners as beside having practically 1k gold where everything costs millions some players get handed a major advantage.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stop putting shard shields up on a pedestal. They aren't game changing for normal players.

Now, for mass scripters and farmers that can transfer 300 items (or more with scroll books) each month for sale on the global market they do indeed provide a great benefit.

Personally I'm ok with someone buying a shard shield for $60 that only gives a token every other month. Spoiler: you can't break an already broken economy...

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This is crap. You did not pay 14 years for shield but for being able to login.

These folks did not have "earned" a **** They paid for a service.

Thats obviously hard to understand for some.

Stuff like this or not taking care about dupes etc is making the game less desirable for new joiners as beside having practically 1k gold where everything costs millions some players get handed a major advantage.
Sorry but you're incorrect ... and I will use YOU as my example. You have put out cash for this game/service. As a "thank you" there are gifts/rewards you may have on a yearly basis. You have played for 15+ years and shelled out a lot of cash to get those silly little pixels. Kind of makes you proud, doesn't it? It should.

Now silly ole me comes along, I've played maybe 5 years. But I want to get into the shard-hopping deal and the best way I know is the shield. How come I can't have it handed to me? Why can't I have it? Oh yeah ... YOU have it because YOU were faithful to the game for so long and I'm still a newcomer.

So whether or not you give a crap about the pixels, you have earned the right to those special things simply by being here for so long. That, Sir, is my point.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Why not take all vendors of all shards but them in a giant centralized mall have a gate to it on every shard would create community and everyone has access to our pixel crack

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Why not take all vendors of all shards but them in a giant centralized mall have a gate to it on every shard would create community and everyone has access to our pixel crack
There ya go ... ruining everything by making sense. This is Uo after all.

But I like that idea. A LOT!

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This thread is just silly. Vet shard shields aren't going anywhere, nor are younger accounts going to get them. Reading the posts in this thread though... a good laugh. I'll be sad to see this thread end or locked.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can tell the OP plays for a few days then quits for months. He got bored cause all his friends are on vacation with their parents so he logged onto UO but he would rather come here and play.

He will stop posting soon.

:popcorn:

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sorry but you're incorrect ... and I will use YOU as my example. You have put out cash for this game/service. As a "thank you" there are gifts/rewards you may have on a yearly basis. You have played for 15+ years and shelled out a lot of cash to get those silly little pixels. Kind of makes you proud, doesn't it? It should.

Now silly ole me comes along, I've played maybe 5 years. But I want to get into the shard-hopping deal and the best way I know is the shield. How come I can't have it handed to me? Why can't I have it? Oh yeah ... YOU have it because YOU were faithful to the game for so long and I'm still a newcomer.

So whether or not you give a crap about the pixels, you have earned the right to those special things simply by being here for so long. That, Sir, is my point.

Sorry dude but why should it make me proud to spend 10 buck a month for 15 years for pixels I don't even own???

You can feel proud when u used that money to safe starving children but definitely there is nothing in paying for a game which you should be "proud" of.

Also you said you "earned" something!?

Not sure what exactly you think you earned.

Customer appreciation is one thing that's totally fine.but it has to be in a proper way.

This on the other hand i like you paying something for 10 bucks a month for 14 years and suddenly the provider say "because you are such a good paying customer" you are now getting 20 bucks per month for free.

Let's leave out that this is "the worst deal ever" for the provider...

It is not encouraging new players to place a sub.

No one is against rewards itself I'd even increase the number to pick the older you get to thank long time player..

And BTW. Using me as example is no good because I did not pay anything for my shield account for the time I had it. It rather made me money because I could be better in the trading and rates business. But yeah what do I know right? It only made a few dozens of Plat with it...

Let's see it from the money aspect.
Each shield transfer you do in game saves you 20 bucks or depending on gold value 100-200 millions.

That's what everyone below 14 years has to spend alone to move 1 item.

You can do this once per month for free PER shield!

This is a advantage which should not be around as in the end you and the noob are paying the same fee.

Don't start now with that kind of trading ruins shard economy. Yes it does to a degree. And yes I also took advantage of it because I could.

So explain me again why you "earned" that advantage..

Because for me it looks that you are a selfish dude and you are defending having shields which are acc bound only because it gives you a huge advantage.

Last edited:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sorry dude but why should it make me proud to spend 10 buck a month for 15 years for pixels I don't even own???

You can feel proud when u used that money to safe starving children but definitely there is nothing in paying for a game which you should be "proud" of.

Also you said you "earned" something!?

Not sure what exactly you think you earned.

Customer appreciation is one thing that's totally fine.but it has to be in a proper way.

This on the other hand i like you paying something for 10 bucks a month for 14 years and suddenly the provider say "because you are such a good paying customer" you are now getting 20 bucks per month for free.

Let's leave out that this is "the worst deal ever" for the provider...

It is not encouraging new players to place a sub.

No one is against rewards itself I'd even increase the number to pick the older you get to thank long time player..

And BTW. Using me as example is no good because I did not pay anything for my shield account for the time I had it. It rather made me money because I could be better in the trading and rates business. But yeah what do I know right? It only made a few dozens of Plat with it...

Let's see it from the money aspect.
Each shield transfer you do in game saves you 20 bucks or depending on gold value 100-200 millions.

That's what everyone below 14 years has to spend alone to move 1 item.

You can do this once per month for free PER shield!

This is a advantage which should not be around as in the end you and the noob are paying the same fee.

Don't start now with that kind of trading ruins shard economy. Yes it does to a degree. And yes I also took advantage of it because I could.

So explain me again why you "earned" that advantage..

Because for me it looks that you are a selfish dude and you are defending having shields which are acc bound only because it gives you a huge advantage.
If shard shields where the same as transfers this might hold water. Unfortunatly they are not. Shard shields allow you less than half of what a transfer allows you to transfer.

Also the saving a child comment/analogy is pretty asanine.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If shard shields where the same as transfers this might hold water. Unfortunatly they are not. Shard shields allow you less than half of what a transfer allows you to transfer.

Also the saving a child comment/analogy is pretty asanine.

I have expected that you bring up now the 5 pack horses. In the end that is not relevant because you can move the pile of items in batches over some time which still cost you nothing. Also in my opinion when it comes to the benefits of fast flexible trading the 300 items are way enough.

However I give up here.
As someone who know both sides as I did not have them for several years then had them and now don't have them anymore I can say from personal experience that the time where I had them gave me an advantage which made me several plats and now it its hard as I am not flexible anymore and I need to relay on a handful trusted people to move something which even come with additional downsides as it can take time till they can move for me which makes me possible miss out trades.

I just hope that someday people will not being selfish anymore but instead try to do the best what is for the game. But till the boss changes this will never happen anyway.

For me personally I'll want to apologize to anyone I have maybe pissed off since I am around.

Angleswings

Adventurer
Well, Lets be honest about, We have 2 different situation here, "the veterans" and the new people or "return people". but lets talk about.

The new people or return people, already have most of the things already handed to them. Back in my old days, I couldn't ride an ethereal horse, I couldnt use a dye tub and many other things until my account was old enough, than you had those rideable polar bears, that I would have to wait 2 more years, but now is a FREE for ALL, no restriction on anything, no penalty for anything, except the shard shield, so everybody already got a huge break from the game on allowing you to use about anything. Now look at the other side, the vets, some of them paid for their accounts since day 1, I think, IMHO, that they deserve some sort of "title" or been able to ride something that show everybody, Hey my account is over 20 years old, Why Not?? They supported the game since day 1, BUT, like @Finley Grant said, you PAID for a service, you paid to play the game and the game, appreciated that and they gave you a reward for that. They didnt have to do that, they dont need to give you every year a Eastern gift, a Xmas gift or anything, they are Gifts and every time they miss 1 or 2 gift, people here enraged.

Shard Shields will never be removed, just deal with. Now I agree with everybody on something, you could pay to age your account, in order to have them in advance, that is an awesome idea. If I have couple accounts that are current 120 months old, I could just buy Game Time Codes and apply to them, until they are prepaid for 50 Months and my account would them show 170 Months, also the idea of buy extra rewards would be nice, if you current have 5 rewards left to pick, would be nice to buy 10 extra and add to the account. Why Not? Extra revenue to the game.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a shame that there isn't a good way to sell/trade Vet accounts, it would be a waste to see these 12 year+ accounts close vs a person who still wished to play using them. Guess you can just give them away....uh huh.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's a shame that there isn't a good way to sell/trade Vet accounts, it would be a waste to see these 12 year+ accounts close vs a person who still wished to play using them. Guess you can just give them away....uh huh.
Trading them works perfectly fine

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I fell down this hole and stood on the same mountain you are. Fact is, the vets did earn those rewards that should have never been given at all. The problem isn't that one group has them and the other isn't. The problem is that they exist at all. Vets earned what they have, you didn't. They don't want to give up what they have for returning players to want to play with them. They do what they feel appropriate for new players and leave it at that. If the new player is still feeling a need for more, they should probably just move on to another game like I did.

I dabble back here occasionally because I find watching Netflix and mining relaxing for some weird reason, but 999999.99% of what you do in this game is irrelevant. You'd need to be cheating or living your life in UO to catch the vets even in current content.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For me personally I'll want to apologize to anyone I have maybe pissed off since I am around.
Well I never used my shard transfers in way to have to say that.

I can see that people like you are the ones that make others want their own. Not the age requirement. You also probably caused many to quit UO.

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I started my account late 2000. I had never heard of the game but had a Gateway Pentium 3 "Flextastic" compact computer. It was a nice machine but only ran 2d games. I remember buying lots of 2d RPGs and one game that caught my interest was UO: Renaissance which was in a big white box. Anyhow, financial issues culminate in me taking many months off from the game at a time due to many hospital visits over the years. I mean at the end of the month, I wasn't around to pay the monthly fees and have no credit card. I'm staring at my screen and seeing 136 months displayed. So I missed a total of 7 years or 84 months.

My gripe if anything is that I wasted vet reward points on early stupid things like a black dye tub or a few robes and cloaks or statues. It was at one point I had to wait 3 years for my first ethie and now some ethies are year one rewards. I had a thing for buying houses in the past but let's not talk about that. Now I'm occassionally living outta a shack in fel that seems to go unused when I"m not around to cliam it on the months I do subscribe.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To the Original poster, Good luck buddy on this idea. There is way to many entitled trashbag people that think they payed for years specifically for the rewards. These are the people that hold this game back and ruin its possible popularity again. They would rather the game close then allow people to be able to transfer like they do. Their argument saying its a gift for years of loyalty is dumbest argument ever, what they actually paid for is access to the game and its content, it has nothing to do with rewards. They just don't have brain capacity to come up wit ha legitimate reason other then to step on other people, thus keeping the game in super low population and ruining it for others. Im only a year away from getting those shields and I wont be around to get them cause the game just sucks. The devs and its entitled community have wrecked this game with their decisions. At least now there is a way to play for free, it certainly isn't worth paying for anymore and hasn't been for 8-10 years. By the way I didn't read past first half page cause its the same nonsense that's been in several other attempts to get this fixed better for the game. Like I said good luck.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To the Original poster, Good luck buddy on this idea. There is way to many entitled trashbag people that think they payed for years specifically for the rewards. These are the people that hold this game back and ruin its possible popularity again. They would rather the game close then allow people to be able to transfer like they do. Their argument saying its a gift for years of loyalty is dumbest argument ever, what they actually paid for is access to the game and its content, it has nothing to do with rewards. They just don't have brain capacity to come up wit ha legitimate reason other then to step on other people, thus keeping the game in super low population and ruining it for others. Im only a year away from getting those shields and I wont be around to get them cause the game just sucks. The devs and its entitled community have wrecked this game with their decisions. At least now there is a way to play for free, it certainly isn't worth paying for anymore and hasn't been for 8-10 years. By the way I didn't read past first half page cause its the same nonsense that's been in several other attempts to get this fixed better for the game. Like I said good luck.
Yep, the thread show perfectly why new players will not stick to UO once they reach a certain understanding. How much more toxic can it be than the vet replies in this thread?

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yep, the thread show perfectly why new players will not stick to UO once they reach a certain understanding. How much more toxic can it be than the vet replies in this thread?
What in my post was toxic ?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And we wounder why all the old vets are leaving socialist UO. It's not fair mommy, Johnny has a New Red Ball I demand you get me a New Red Ball so I can be the same as Johnny

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What in my post was toxic ?
IDK if it was you in particular. Not sure if there is an equivalent in english, but we often say "Don't wear a shoe that doesn't fit you" here ;) I quoted two outstanding toxic answers that are anything but productive. But in general the mindset that is expressed here of being somehow more special than newer players can certainly not be healthy for a community.

I can tell the OP plays for a few days then quits for months. He got bored cause all his friends are on vacation with their parents so he logged onto UO but he would rather come here and play.

He will stop posting soon.

:popcorn:
And we wounder why all the old vets are leaving socialist UO. It's not fair mommy, Johnny has a New Red Ball I demand you get me a New Red Ball so I can be the same as Johnny
But that's just a UO thing we got to live with :beer: :bdh:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Toxic? Really? So then most MMOs with vet rewards programs must be rife with truly awful people. How devious of them for selfishly supporting a game for a length of time found rewardable by the development teams. Truly terrible human beings, the lot of them!

:rolleyes2:

This is a textbook case of ad hominem, attacking the arguer instead of the argument, which is then followed by a rather obvious false equivalence.

The development team instituted the veteran rewards, specifically calling them rewards, included them in the regular content updates - explicitly tied to subscription monies spent over time. Aside from taking suggestions for the rewards themselves, this is entirely run by the devs.

The anti-reward people try to obfuscate their real agenda (crying about not having free xfer tokens) by railing against the system they come from. The funny thing is, most vets acknowledge that shard shields weren't the best of ideas (even Mesanna said she wouldn't do them again). That being said, they aren't truly unbalancing in an actual gameplay sense, just in the sense of population and the already-terminally-ill economy. If you want something transferred to another shard, make friends with a vet who has shields.

BTW, the entitlement is coming from those who want the rewards without putting in the time they require.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IDK if it was you in particular. Not sure if there is an equivalent in english, but we often say "Don't wear a shoe that doesn't fit you" here ;) I quoted two outstanding toxic answers that are anything but productive. But in general the mindset that is expressed here of being somehow more special than newer players can certainly not be healthy for a community.

Mine was not toxic. Just fact from years of playing and reading the forums.

Just like when I say things to players that come to LS and say the shard is dead in general chat. While I see 20 guildies on and am playing with a group of non guild members.

I should write a post and send it to @Dot_Warner for editing. She writes more eloquently.

But that's just a UO thing we got to live with :beer: :bdh:

Just like when I say things to players that come to LS and say the shard is dead in general chat. While I see 20 guildies on and am playing with a group of non guild members.

I should write a post and send it to @Dot_Warner for editing. She writes more eloquently.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At least they made all but 2 vet rewards usable by all so anyone can buy them.

I wish they would allow vets to exchange old rewards as long as the account is of the same age.

Like I said I can claim over 20 shard shields but have none because I can get transfers so damn cheap why waste claiming a shield when something I like better will come out in the next few years (if UO makes it that long). Speaking of which that’s kinda of the only argument young account holders have is the game won’t last onther 14 years. Why not just remove the account bound from them, or add a rechargeable store item that only works every few months or something. The economy is already broke.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Ya I think I’m the least articulate person on stratics with the smallest vocabulary.(that’s what bad parenting can do)

:(

My kids are all honor roll and enjoy school :)

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Toxic? Really? So then most MMOs with vet rewards programs must be rife with truly awful people. How devious of them for selfishly supporting a game for a length of time found rewardable by the development teams. Truly terrible human beings, the lot of them!

:rolleyes2:

This is a textbook case of ad hominem, attacking the arguer instead of the argument, which is then followed by a rather obvious false equivalence.

The development team instituted the veteran rewards, specifically calling them rewards, included them in the regular content updates - explicitly tied to subscription monies spent over time. Aside from taking suggestions for the rewards themselves, this is entirely run by the devs.

The anti-reward people try to obfuscate their real agenda (crying about not having free xfer tokens) by railing against the system they come from. The funny thing is, most vets acknowledge that shard shields weren't the best of ideas (even Mesanna said she wouldn't do them again). That being said, they aren't truly unbalancing in an actual gameplay sense, just in the sense of population and the already-terminally-ill economy. If you want something transferred to another shard, make friends with a vet who has shields.

BTW, the entitlement is coming from those who want the rewards without putting in the time they require.
These are some fair points for most of the vet rewards that are not as game-changing as shard shields. I certainly can not recall any other game that let's some players travel between servers for free, while it charges the other ones two times $20. Maybe you can help me with some other games practicing that?

If we were talking about neon hairs or some cool robes, I could agree with your post. But we are talking about something fundamental as free travel between servers, which should not be exclusive to only a certain group but all players alike.

If there is so little empathy in one, that he can't see how discouraging and toxic some comments in this thread are to a newer player, I can't help it any further. The OP has a valid point and some comments are all but helpful.

And I doubt anyone is trying to obsfucate his agenda. Little people have a problem with vet rewards in general. We just would like to see fair server travel for all players alike. Pretty simple concept. I never see anyone complaining about the other rewards at all.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Veteran UO Player: "We need more players, we need new blood and players to return BUT..........they can't have access to the same stuff that we have access to because we have been around longer and EARNED it." (not anyone in specific but an attitude I have noticed)

New and returning players are so far behind that it isn't even funny. I rarely play anymore but keep a subbed account. Why is it a bad thing for new and returning players to have access to the same items that I have access to? I am not special for having played this long and I know if I had to start from scratch as it is now, I wouldn't even bother. Either people want new and returning players or they want to keep their bling and small population.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Veteran UO Player: "We need more players, we need new blood and players to return BUT..........they can't have access to the same stuff that we have access to because we have been around longer and EARNED it." (not anyone in specific but an attitude I have noticed)

New and returning players are so far behind that it isn't even funny. I rarely play anymore but keep a subbed account. Why is it a bad thing for new and returning players to have access to the same items that I have access to? I am not special for having played this long and I know if I had to start from scratch as it is now, I wouldn't even bother. Either people want new and returning players or they want to keep their bling and small population.
So then why stop here, lets give everybody access to everything and make all UO Tram Rule Set that way everybody can get everything they want/need or go anywhere they want to without any worries of any other player interfering with their game play.