• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lion vs. Triceratops Observation

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Lion vs. Triceratops Observation

These 2 pets come with the same skills, and both can get healing.

Lions are 2 slot and have around 175 HP and 350 STR AFTER being tamed,
Tri's are 3 slot and have around 585 HP and 620 STR AFTER being tamed,

Lion may have an extra slot, but Tri starts with about 2,000 more training points, which is actually the better deal. As far as I can tell they can get the same skills through the training process. Typically the tamer would not want to remove piercing for something else anyways.

Does this look right to you guys? Unless I'm missing something I'm going to toss my lion out of my stable.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Looks like the Max Intensity of a Triceratops is around ~8000, and the Max Intensity of a Lion is around ~7100, if they were both max spawns and trained to 5 slots. So it does look like the Triceratops comes out ahead with intensity/training points over an equivalent Lion. The triceratops can also get overcapped Physical resist (up to 85), which is worth considering as well.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you put poison on first, you can choose other abilities on the lion. Also the tri can get FWW and other stuff, areas etc. right away with its extra points.

Take 4 of each to TC. There are many combos.

I have a tri thats trained and ready for the last points. I forgot what I was going to put on it.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I'll probably kick my lion to the curb.

I need room in my stable. I'd really love to get a dragon wolf, but they seem very rare.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
upload_2018-7-14_16-30-44.png

New and returning players love to see the new pets. They all think lions are cool.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
View attachment 84040

New and returning players love to see the new pets. They all think lions are cool.
$5 for 3 more pet slots? I think not.

Lions look cool, I'll give you that, but I can get the same thing (and more) in a triceratops, which also looks pretty cool.

On a side note, my vet is at gm, if I got it to 120 would I get more slots?

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
$5 for 3 more pet slots? I think not.

Lions look cool, I'll give you that, but I can get the same thing (and more) in a triceratops, which also looks pretty cool.

On a side note, my vet is at gm, if I got it to 120 would I get more slots?
Yes. You can get 9 total slots from skills alone. You get an extra slot at 100, 110, and 120 in Animal Lore, Animal Taming, and Vet. This can be augmented skill, doesn't need to be natural.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Yes. You can get 9 total slots from skills alone. You get an extra slot at 100, 110, and 120 in Animal Lore, Animal Taming, and Vet. This can be augmented skill, doesn't need to be natural.
Sweet! Need to get me a 120 vet scroll.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'll probably kick my lion to the curb.

I need room in my stable. I'd really love to get a dragon wolf, but they seem very rare.
Not as rare as many think - unlike the Cold Drake (which are level 6 tram and fel maps only), the Dragon Wolf can apparently spawn off ANY level 6 map. I've had them in Malas and Tokuno for sure, and I think Ilshenar (not done enough Ter Mur level 6s to know about them)

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Not as rare as many think - unlike the Cold Drake (which are level 6 tram and fel maps only), the Dragon Wolf can apparently spawn off ANY level 6 map. I've had them in Malas and Tokuno for sure, and I think Ilshenar (not done enough Ter Mur level 6s to know about them)
Hey, thanks for the tip!

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Just got my triceratops to 5 slots. He heals himself a lot, but rarely uses any moves. Uses paralyze once in awhile and that's it. Even without mana regen his mana is nearly always full. You guys have the same experience with Tri's?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IMO it's all moot. Both do nothing but Physical damage... which IMO makes them just more of a deco item than something useful. More like a decorative sword to hang on the wall than a true device for fighting.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
IMO it's all moot. Both do nothing but Physical damage... which IMO makes them just more of a deco item than something useful. More like a decorative sword to hang on the wall than a true device for fighting.
Agreed, but that begs the question, what damage type is best for a pet to have?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Agreed, but that begs the question, what damage type is best for a pet to have?
Depends on what you are fighting. Dread Horns lowest resist is physical. Read my series on Tamer Vs ____ and see what mobs have what resists.

Hiryus are great pets. 100% Physical.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Wondering if lions use their abilities more than Tri's do. Even though Lions end up with less points than a Tri, their programming may be different, and my Tri has more than enough points.