• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 100 Release 2 Comes to TC1

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Statements unworthy of being repeated...
*sighs wearily*

Barracoon is the anglicized version of the Spanish word barracón and referred to barracks housing slaves or criminals. They were used primarily for the slave trade, and yes, shamefully, the US was the likely destination for the vast majority of those they held captive. The last 4 letters of the word are a racial slur directly derived from the larger word.

The dark stain of slavery and racism isn't unique to the history of the U.S. Many European countries engaged in the exploitation of their fellow humans. However, some in the U.S. have a bizarre tendency to romanticize, or, worse, grotesquely celebrate the worst parts of its past.

Why would we want any of that to leak into the escapist, Virtue-based fantasy world of Sosaria? The champ has zero historical significance to Ultima, no backstory, and hasn't been otherwise changed.

This isn't the first time that UO has changed a name, it happened back in 1998 with the Zog Cabal being renamed to the Followers of Armageddon. Zog does have a history in Ultima, but OSI recognized the negative real-world connotations of the name they were using for the Big Bad. That name change didn't have any impact on gameplay either.

Again, if it bothers you to consider the thoughts/feelings of others as equal to your own...it's you who has the problem.

BTW: Attempting to compare the words "whip" and "boat" to barracoon is just a false equivalence and lame whatboutism.

Thou hath lost multiple eighths.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Has anyone tested this yet?
  • The Jewelry Box can now be secured with contents if the house has available storage.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
how do you turn a mastery off? i have like weaving and taming on one char and either the weaving is active or the taming is, how do you make NONE active ?

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Re-choose your currently active mastery.
sounds a bit stupid if you have to do that to use a soulstone? What on earth is the reason for that moronic change? I guess some people were exploiting something and so instead of fixing the exploit they make another game change that will affect everyone by making a system more cumbersome than in needs to be. You have to wonder where some people get a clue.... or not. There is no hope for this world when people can't think logically.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i know what the word means.
and yes barrracoons where used to hold slaves.
but that is just a part of what the word has been used for over the last couple hundred years.
by the same rational we will have to change the 'stout whip' used in the orc quest because the word whip is associated with the slave trade in the US.
and boat, we wont be able to use the word boat because that is where the slaves went into after they left the barracoons.
where are you guys gonna draw the line?

the word SOUNDs funny and has a part of it that sounds racist and it has a glancing history with the slave trade - BOOM - word is dead to us.
lets not consider that the word just means and not just in the US.

again, its silliness.
Erm.....nothing wrong with a stout whip......not all slaves are unwilling :naughty-angel::devil::devil::danceb::stretcher:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Re-choose your currently active mastery.
Also, I can't remember the last time I saw a character that had only one possible mastery maximum (maybe my Beggar that only comes out for trick or treating?)

Level one masteries are all over the place. People drop them. If you can have more than one mastery use at least a level 1 for each - then if you're soulstoning, switch to a different mastery