• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Training Taming now that we have Taming Mastery

Xanthril of LA

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, with the taming mastery that came out with Time of Legends, has the routine for training changed much. @Merus posted in another thread that "If you get a taming mastery you get a chance to gain taming every time you use the combat readiness... Makes training taming MUCH easier and something you can actually gain while hunting with your pet." With the new mastery, I am very interested in taking my Taming to a true 120. Any training insight tips are most welcome. I read the FAQ but did not see anything about masteries.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
1. Get yourself a bound boura or something and link it with a crystal ball
2. Stone everything sans taming, animal lore and set focus and meditation to raise. Make sure you have at least 90 taming
3. Get a high MR suit with high MI and as much int as possible
4. Make a macro that uses the combat training taming mastery and targets your bound pet
5. Cast it at your hearts content, Ignoring the gump that shows up.
6. Repeat pass 5 till you are out of mana, regen up, repeat pass 5.

Enjoy your easy taming gains.
Alacrities will help a lot when you are under 110 taming.

Odin of LS

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bealank's suggestion is by far the best the way to go. You can even start by using a mythic token first to get 90 taming and not even actually have to tame anything.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Having 2/6 casting and reforging 3 mr on leather pieces with spined kits using "of restoration" option helps a lot with the mana regen as well.

Quickjohn

Adventurer
will this take you to 120 taming? I'm at 103 taming. can you still triangle two pets at tacking each other? rAisles kill?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
This will take you to 120, yes.
I am on a break from the game, but that brought my tamer from 90 to 117 and I was still gaining with it.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I find gains are hard between 90-100, but gain a bit better after you hit GM.

archiv

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm curious, is it necessary to stone your skills? do you HAVE to up focus and med? Just noticed this but I have no access to stones nor the gold to buy them (trying to play from scratch with nothing). I'm actually at a point with my template where I'm dropping med to top off the other skills.
I did try as is but am not seeing any results.
Also, just stand around and do it? or does the bond need to be fighting? Sorry if these seem like silly questions but I'm not understanding this one.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The lower your skill point total is, the faster you gain.
Med and focus are needed because using the mastery uses mana, and with 100/100 med/focus and 30 MR you will regain your mana much faster, allowing you to cast more in a small amount of time, maximizing your chances to get skill gains.

Your pet doesn't have to be fighting. But after you cast the mastery, you need to target it once the cursor shows up (or use EC and set it to target: stored). Then cast it again till you are out of mana.

archiv

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The lower your skill point total is, the faster you gain.
Med and focus are needed because using the mastery uses mana, and with 100/100 med/focus and 30 MR you will regain your mana much faster, allowing you to cast more in a small amount of time, maximizing your chances to get skill gains.

Your pet doesn't have to be fighting. But after you cast the mastery, you need to target it once the cursor shows up (or use EC and set it to target: stored). Then cast it again till you are out of mana.
Awesome, that made it click in my brain. Being at maxed points would be the reason I've not had any gains doing this, that makes sense. I shall keep at it, thanks for the info!

Edit:
For anyone else in my situation trying this, it does work but it's slow. Maybe a little faster than taming critters. MR of any sort would certainly be a bonus, currently I'm at about 1.25s per 1 mana so it's very slow going but good to have the option vs tame, release, kill, tame, release, kill. Change of pace.

Last edited:

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another option for mana regeneration is Lich Form from Necromancy. Lich Form gives +13 Mana Regeneration. You need 70 Necromancy. I would recommend casting Lich Form from a scroll. This will save you time trying to get into Lich Form. You will need a little hp regeneration on your suit.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Why do you need to link to crystal ball of pet summoning?
To quickly retrieve your pet to your location when you log back in.
You can skip this part, but then you have to recall to an stable, claim it and resume training. I find linking it faster to do.

Giles

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To quickly retrieve your pet to your location when you log back in.
You can skip this part, but then you have to recall to an stable, claim it and resume training. I find linking it faster to do.
thanks for the response!

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
I'm trying this as I post. Does it have to be a boura? I'm using a Windrunner. I get the gump, so I know I'm on the right track but the only gains I've got so far are focus and med. LOL ~ Been about 1/2 hour now.

Oh, I just thought of something, Do you have to have used a level 3 primer? Because I only used a level one, I found it on the ground. LOL

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You have to have 90 real taming for it to work. Any pet works. Takes a long time still.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Also, a level 1 primer is enough, we highly doubt there is difference between levels as for gains. 30 mins does sound long for a gain, not sure if all goes as it should?

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
Holy crip, it's a crapple! I finally worked, took an hour, but went up .1. That's ok I guess. Yes, I have 99.8 base or real taming. correction had, now I have 99.9. weeeeee. I know at this point it would of been faster taming white wolves or bulls or gammons. But later on when I have 110, it will make a big difference I think. I'm surprised it worked, I thank Beetlejuice and at least it saves me running around finding, taming releasing killing and repeat. I can do in my house, and watch U-tube and every hour I get another, so pretty good. Thumbs up. :thumbup:

Just got another 5 mins later, so maybe it goes in spurts or something. But now I can show title Grand Master Tamer. Yay!

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
Oh, BTW, I started with 50. I mean come on, who doesn't make a new char like that for the harder skills? But I refuse to use tokens for gain, I ain't rich in real life. LOL

And, I am never AFK while one of my chars is in game. I might open up my browser, but that's it.

I still can't believe this works. Now, I just need a better way to gain stealing, stealth, poisoning, Lock picking and maybe spell weaving.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just got another 5 mins later, so maybe it goes in spurts or something. But now I can show title Grand Master Tamer. Yay!
Do you also have GM Necromancy? Because this thread is almost two years old, lol.

I still can't believe this works. Now, I just need a better way to gain stealing, stealth, poisoning, Lock picking and maybe spell weaving.
For Stealth, wear the correct gear weight, then set up two linked teleporters across from each other in your house.Turn on auto-walk (hold right mouse button down, then left click) in the direction of one of the teleporters, and set a weight down on your Hiding macro key. Your character will automatically walk between the teleporters infinitely while spamming Hide to re-initiate Stealth quickly. Find something to watch or read while doing this.

For Lockpicking, the training technique listed here works. Lockpicking - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia. You can use the Satyr trick earlier than 95 skill too.

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
Do you also have GM Necromancy? Because this thread is almost two years old, lol.

For Stealth, wear the correct gear weight, then set up two linked teleporters across from each other in your house.Turn on auto-walk (hold right mouse button down, then left click) in the direction of one of the teleporters, and set a weight down on your Hiding macro key. Your character will automatically walk between the teleporters infinitely while spamming Hide to re-initiate Stealth quickly. Find something to watch or read while doing this.

For Lockpicking, the training technique listed here works. Lockpicking - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia. You can use the Satyr trick earlier than 95 skill too.
Ok thanks. :)