• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Laggy lag

Painted Elves

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone else have any issue with Lag in the game?

I have played on this same laptop before and it went pretty well, pinging about 65ms on my "home" shard. Now its up over 200.
I'm on Endless Journey right now, not sure if that has anything to do with it?

my laptop is old af, but like i said I played on here before and it wasnt this bad.

suggestions?

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been having lag issues on and off since October. Still trying to determine the cause, but lately it's only really bad when I'm hunting with a group (4-5 people fighting 1-2 dark fathers was really affecting my casting, and EM events cause horrid lag leaving me barely able to keep up with the group), or just in random spurts where I'll start lagging or freezing off and on for anywhere from one to several minutes.

I'm on a laptop as well, but even though it's a few years old, this wasn't a progressive issue. It was just literally one day I was hit with horrible lag/freezing/constant disconnects and crashes that I haven't been able to find a fix for yet.

Belmarduk

Adventurer
What is really annoying is that I get these lag/freezes randomly - even with no other player anywhere near

I did a ping and a traceroute this morning
I ping Drachenfels at 45ms - when I traceroute I suddenly get hops wihtout answers but in the end I get to the last hop - The traceroute gets fine past my ISP but somewhere on the way I keep getting this timeouts randomly

Any ideas ?

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What is really annoying is that I get these lag/freezes randomly - even with no other player anywhere near

I did a ping and a traceroute this morning
I ping Drachenfels at 45ms - when I traceroute I suddenly get hops wihtout answers but in the end I get to the last hop - The traceroute gets fine past my ISP but somewhere on the way I keep getting this timeouts randomly

Any ideas ?
This is normal. These days many routers omit the response needed by traceroute, so traceroute reports a timeout after not seeing any response. They still route your traffic though. Nothing to worry.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I run a really nice PC and a lot of older computers. I lag on all of them. dont buy a new pc for this game it wont matter.
It might even be counter-productive, since UO depends on old software interfaces that have to be emulated on newer operating systems (DirectX8, DirectDraw, DirectSound, ...).

Belmarduk

Adventurer
This is normal. These days many routers omit the response needed by traceroute, so traceroute reports a timeout after not seeing any response. They still route your traffic though. Nothing to worry.
I also noticed that the last hop seems to have something to do with Amazon - Does EA now use Amazon Servers ?!

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It might even be counter-productive, since UO depends on old software interfaces that have to be emulated on newer operating systems (DirectX8, DirectDraw, DirectSound, ...).
What are you emulating? You do understand that all DirectXs are designed with backwards compatibility in mind so your assumption is wrong.

Belmarduk

Adventurer
Seems to be random - today no lag atall :)
My only concern is that UO is using cheap providers again which can only ...just... handle the traffic - anyone remember the colt.net disaster ? This but me so on the verge of quitting that I made a 10 year break after 2 more small issues arised

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I lag at events just before boss spawns as some turn up their speeders/programs lol.
I mainly noticed bad lag when a new pub/patch is on test center. once the pub goes out, the lag usually stops for me.