• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning Player. A LOT Is New!

Kirah Blackstaff

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello! With the new Endless Journey's, I've been venturing on my accounts.
I don't have terribly a lot. But on ATL I DO Have a Bushido/Necro/Chiv Swords guy with I think an okay set of gear. As well as a Tamer, who needs work but he has a Greater Dragon. I also have a 120 Blacksmith/112 Tailor and 52 Imbueing crafter.

I honestly do not know where to start! What's good? I enjoy both Taming as well as Dexxer. To many choices!

My ICQ is 145610632. I appreciate all of you!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Welcome Back!

Head over to the taming forum and let us know what other type pets you have. Nightmares from before last year are nice pets to build or sell. UO Tamer

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back! I'm on Pacific myself. If you ever visit, come say hi in general chat!

Kirah Blackstaff

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whelp, officially reactivated and bought Time of Legends. Need to look up how this Taming Master works. I want my Old school Pure Black Mare to be a little beast!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whelp, officially reactivated and bought Time of Legends. Need to look up how this Taming Master works. I want my Old school Pure Black Mare to be a little beast!

What Shard? Head over to the taming forum and we will be glad to help with all pet types. There is also a Nightmare training thread over there.

Phantasmagorian

Sage
Supporter
Copy your char (and thus pets) to test center and play around with it. Don't be too hasty, as messing up pets is not uncommon. And if you dole out the dough for powerscrolls, an expensive joke too.

Kirah Blackstaff

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What Shard? Head over to the taming forum and we will be glad to help with all pet types. There is also a Nightmare training thread over there.
I'm over on Atl.

And for sure! I've been scouring the forums for information. The Nightmare thread is what I planned on going with.

Been seeing some of these new tameable creatures to. Seems really neat!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Kirah Blackstaff

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Copy your char (and thus pets) to test center and play around with it. Don't be too hasty, as messing up pets is not uncommon. And if you dole out the dough for powerscrolls, an expensive joke too.
Right? Yah I only have about 30 million gold currently. And not a full suit, well it's very dated. I was looking at the UO timeline and realised I have not really played since 2009!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
About how long does that take by the way? I.e. my nightmare. Maybe I'll stream it! Hah

For a NOOB could take months. For me <4 hours if the thing I would use is available and the pet is bonded.

Kirah Blackstaff

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For a NOOB could take months. For me <4 hours if the thing I would use is available and the pet is bonded.
Well my nightmare is definitely bonded! And I don't know how well they stack up. But the thought if a cool nightmare just brings me joy

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well my nightmare is definitely bonded! And I don't know how well they stack up. But the thought if a cool nightmare just brings me joy

Get to the Crazed mage and train it! You'll get 100% in <40min if no one is there. Then build it like the thread says.

You will love it!

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Does someone really want to watch me train a pet from 1 to 5 slots?

come on get real, it wouldn't be the whole time of training for a pet, just enough to show and say what to do so new/returning player can get the basics. easy/fast and most people learn by seeing/hearing, not just reading on what to do.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lucky for the forum I do not know how to make videos of any kind. I see lots of funny things in UO.

I just make screen shots.

TheWolf

Adventurer
Just a little tip for you, leave all your old pets in the stables. Go tame atleast half a dozen new pets, and get familiar with the pet imbuing system. I don't know anyone that hasn't "messed up" their first few pets.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just a little tip for you, leave all your old pets in the stables. Go tame atleast half a dozen new pets, and get familiar with the pet imbuing system. I don't know anyone that hasn't "messed up" their first few pets.
Stratics has the best taming forum on the internet! :cheerleader:

Tell us what you got and what you want and we will help you build it.

Ill even log in on your shard and help you if our gaming times match.

Unless its a stupid Dragon.

We have a very happy Blaze Cu owner that built his pet to perfection.

Kirah Blackstaff

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, I took my Nightmare down to level 3 shame and started working on the red mages there. I assume that's what people mean. I went from 0 to 20 fairly fast. Then stopped gaining. Did not realize, as I was told, to go get another mage!
I then went to level 2 fire and tried out daemons, as they always in the past gave a lot of fame and karma, I want my title. After about 2 to 3 hours, while watching the Jazz Detroy the Thunder, I ended up with 22.5% darnit haha!

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, I took my Nightmare down to level 3 shame and started working on the red mages there. I assume that's what people mean. I went from 0 to 20 fairly fast. Then stopped gaining. Did not realize, as I was told, to go get another mage!
I then went to level 2 fire and tried out daemons, as they always in the past gave a lot of fame and karma, I want my title. After about 2 to 3 hours, while watching the Jazz Detroy the Thunder, I ended up with 22.5% darnit haha!

It is lvl 5

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How much a pet levels off of a monster, depends on how tough the monster is. Pets gain faster if they're the one taking damage from the monster, which makes training more than one pet at a time or frail pets difficult.
The Allosaurus works well for training a pet to 5 slots. The Allosaurus has 18,000 Health and your pet will gain 25% (50% in Power Hour) per Allosaurus. Two Allosaurus spawn in the swamps near the Sakkhra and Urali Villages, you just have to lure one back to a village, which isn't hard with heavy use of Invisibility to keep all the other spawn off of you as you lure.
For most pets, you'll have to do some healing of your pet as it fights the Allosaurus. The Allosaurus deals 50% Physical Damage/50% Poison Damage, and can sometimes inflict the Poison status. Some pets, such as the Najasaurus or Dread Spider, can easily tank the Allosaurus with virtually no healing from you, due to their 100% Poison Resist, especially if you're running Empowerment or Consume Damage on them.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How much a pet levels off of a monster, depends on how tough the monster is. Pets gain faster if they're the one taking damage from the monster, which makes training more than one pet at a time or frail pets difficult.
The Allosaurus works well for training a pet to 5 slots. The Allosaurus has 18,000 Health and your pet will gain 25% (50% in Power Hour) per Allosaurus. Two Allosaurus spawn in the swamps near the Sakkhra and Urali Villages, you just have to lure one back to a village, which isn't hard with heavy use of Invisibility to keep all the other spawn off of you as you lure.
For most pets, you'll have to do some healing of your pet as it fights the Allosaurus. The Allosaurus deals 50% Physical Damage/50% Poison Damage, and can sometimes inflict the Poison status. Some pets, such as the Najasaurus or Dread Spider, can easily tank the Allosaurus with virtually no healing from you, due to their 100% Poison Resist, especially if you're running Empowerment or Consume Damage on them.
Power hour only gains faster not more per mob. And you should be done before the next day anyway. :D

On mobs that give greatlty gains:

1 slot and 2 slot pets gain 100% per mob

3 slot pets gain 50% per mob

4 slot pet gains 25% per mob.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Power hour only gains faster not more per mob. And you should be done before the next day anyway. :D

On mobs that give greatlty gains:

1 slot and 2 slot pets gain 100% per mob

3 slot pets gain 50% per mob

4 slot pet gains 25% per mob.
Normally, my pets cap out at 25% per Allosaurus. During Power Hour, they cap out at 50% per.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Normally, my pets cap out at 25% per Allosaurus. During Power Hour, they cap out at 50% per.
Sorry I wish it were so. You had a 3 slot pet there and it gave 50% as it should.

Just happened to have a 4 slot pet that will get 25%.

I started at 0% and power hour as you can see:

upload_2018-4-26_18-50-32.png

In a ridiculoulsly short amount of time that I will not state, I got to 25%

upload_2018-4-26_18-51-37.png

Left it there for 5 more minutes and did not increase.

Any Greatly Gain mob will give the % I posted above. Those include: Crazed and Burning mage, Unbound Vortexes, Dread pirates, Allosaurous, Navrey and others. The Mob does not matter. The pet slot determines the %. That 25% I just got took less than 1/2 the normal time for 25% on the Crazy mage.

Kirah Blackstaff

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back, we missed ya :)
Thanks!
Trained my nightmare from a 2 slotter to a 5 slotter, with Chiv. Basically copied a thread on UO Tamers. Havnt had the chance to use him, and frankly not sure what to start with!

What are good templates you would recommend? Currently with Taming Mastery, I've been slowly training my taming each day. Try to get .3 points a night is what is working. Slow and steady. But the rest are a typical mage. Eval, Mage, Med.

Should I continue with that build or try something stronger for hunting. Also. Anyone on Atl wanna show me around? I play usually 730 until 1030 pst usually.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Flew in from St. Louis tonight. Should b around this week evenings. If I'm online, I'm in Help Chat on Atl.

Can ask for ROMP. Always glad ta give a quick tour. Sadly, taming tricks isn't my thing so others would def b of
more help. I do know the lands & have done almost all the new content, at least once. It's fun stuff :)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Flew in from St. Louis tonight. Should b around this week evenings. If I'm online, I'm in Help Chat on Atl.

Can ask for ROMP. Always glad ta give a quick tour. Sadly, taming tricks isn't my thing so others would def b of
more help. I do know the lands & have done almost all the new content, at least once. It's fun stuff :)
Help him get a rune to the Crazed mage in Shame lvl 5. Also a rune to the Navrey hole and Yomotsu Mines.
Those will help his pet training and skilling.

I hand out the old rune books with charges to some fun spots. Or take the NOOBS there and mark a Rune and let them add it.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good thinking on the taming spots, I was gonna log in & see if Mi' Good Lady Tang had some empty rune books ta start fillin'.

Def had Trog caves and Navrey hole in mind :)

* I was giving out crystal balls of knowledge last weekend (2 weekends ago) but had 2 go outta town this one. :)

Kirah Blackstaff

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been using the lvl 5 mages for a few days now.
Tested out the red NPC that's immune to pet dmg in skara brae for straight skill gains, (works okay I guess) and a blood elemental resist training area on shame as well.

Built up a mare and white when so far. Just need the powerscrolls is all I'm missing.
So far I'm enjoying my mare, he hits hard, harder to kill, and I can ride him. All pluses in my book.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been using the lvl 5 mages for a few days now.
Tested out the red NPC that's immune to pet dmg in skara brae for straight skill gains, (works okay I guess) and a blood elemental resist training area on shame as well.

Built up a mare and white when so far. Just need the powerscrolls is all I'm missing.
So far I'm enjoying my mare, he hits hard, harder to kill, and I can ride him. All pluses in my book.

Gregorio is great for Anatomy/Poisoning gains (since skill gains in those aren't based off a check against the opponent's skill, and Gregorio is so easy to land hits on). He can also be used for spellcasting skill gains, since he deals such low damage (especially when Disarmed) and takes no pet damage. He only gets Wrest/Tact up to 50s (70s if you discord your pet).
Spectral Spellbinders in New Haven are the best thing for training a pet's Resist skill to max. They cast only debuff spells, which is exactly what triggers Resist skill checks and therefore gains it.
For Wrest/Tact, try to find a Shadow Ore Ele in the Yomotsu Mines that has Wrest/Tact within 25.0 points of your pet's Wrest/Tact skill. You can go all the way up to 120 Wrest/120 Tact if you get the right Shadow Ore Ele. Shadow Ore Eles are immune to pet damage and spell damage (except Earthquake), but are vulnerable to weapon damage. You can use a -0 Mage Wep to kill Shadow Ore Eles until one with the right Wrest/Tact spawns.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I love the mare I did on Sonoma (my t hunter) can toss boulders now, so funny seeing a boulder fly, another I did can do word of death, is so cool