• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gold Seller Is In General Chat

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do they use the same URL each time? If so, I'm surprised they can't automatically blacklist/block the person (From chat) it as soon as it's submitted to chat.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
You can still put him on ignore...yes it's not an optimal solution.

What's your solution? What do you want done?

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
They are blatantly breaking the game's Terms of Service. I would like Broadsword to enforce the game's rules.
And just how do you suggest they do that?

"Terms of Service":rolleyes:

You have the option of putting them on ignore each and every time...that is a solution. I get that it's inconvenient for you...

Given the game mechanics, what solution is there that can be implemented that doesn't adversely affect every other player in the game?

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
avatar # has been spamming for last 3 hours. kind of annoying after awhile. doesn't give me much hope with enforcing the rules/cheating ect...

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Only solution I see is for the Devs to ban whatever text he is spamming "Please visit MYWEBSITE.COM to purchase Gold"

Devs could I believe mask his URL. So it would come up "Please visit *************** to purchase Gold". That would make the guy stop advertising I believe...

I think it's within their power to squelch speech....I could be mistaken. Might not be built into the Global Chat System....

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can spam 24/7 as far as I am concerned. Affects my gameplay not at all...too many wannabe code enforcerers running around. The time for this kinda action to be done was years and years ago-too little too late now

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I can't decide which side in this debate is funnier, so instead I'll just say: No one should just have to put up with a violation of the terms of service, even if it doens't impact their gameplay and even if it isn't a big violation. We all agree to play by these rules and the next time someone complains about their own pet rule being broken I'll say exactly the same thing and see how quick you all reach for the "report this post" button.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It seems, at least on Balhae, that the gold seller is now able to spam his advertisements in general chat.
Yeah I noticed him on some shard last night spamming away and again this afternoon on GLs and I was like crap isn't he usually in the "help" channel? But now he's spamming Gen Chat.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
People who come into these threads defending gold sellers or declaring it to be fine and not affecting their gameplay must be the gold sellers themselves or gold buyers...
How else would a new player compete? Have you seen the price of pet scrolls? If BS wants the new players to compete ,then they would not nerf so many templates.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just get rid of General chat, problem solved :mf_prop:.
I miss the days of PvP smack talk above people's heads, and needing to have a congregation place for buying and selling.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How else would a new player compete? Have you seen the price of pet scrolls? If BS wants the new players to compete ,then they would not nerf so many templates.
A point that is impossible to argue against.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A point that is impossible to argue against.
Ouch their prices!

I just saw it on LS. Only $150 and you can 120 scroll a pet!!! And the gold price is way too high! Dont buy from that site!

They gonna make more than BS at that rate.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Is it so hard to simply ignore a person you don't like?

Yes it's against whatever so what?
Don't you agree that spamming crap in chat is probably at place 347 on the list of problems which needs to be addressed?

By wasting time with banning advertisement accounts you dont win anything... They just make a new...

Furthermore you can personally fix it for you by putting him on ignore...

And if you really be honest... @Pawain has a valid point.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Why are people constantly crying about what other people are doing in a game that is a shadow of what it onces was....
Why do you think the game is a shadow of what it once was? Oh right... because the rule-breaking and cheating scared away half of the players in pre-trammel days, and most of the other half in the current post-AOS scripting/multiboxing days.

The game wouldn't have such a hard time retaining players if all the new people weren't immediately turned off by the gigantic amount of cheating, gold selling and scripting. As a new/returning player, they literally have no chance to compete with anyone unless they partake in the rule-breaking themselves. The cheaters have advantages, and the veteran players who don't cheat have 20 years of knowledge and gold to compensate for it. There is barely any place left in UO for a genuine new/returning player, so they leave and the game dies even more.

That's why it bothers people.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Why do you think the game is a shadow of what it once was? Oh right... because the rule-breaking and cheating scared away half of the players in pre-trammel days, and most of the other half in the current post-AOS scripting/multiboxing days.

The game wouldn't have such a hard time retaining players if all the new people weren't immediately turned off by the gigantic amount of cheating, gold selling and scripting. As a new/returning player, they literally have no chance to compete with anyone unless they partake in the rule-breaking themselves. The cheaters have advantages, and the veteran players who don't cheat have 20 years of knowledge and gold to compensate for it. There is barely any place left in UO for a genuine new/returning player, so they leave and the game dies even more.

That's why it bothers people.
Total BS. What other players do in the game doesn't affect me on iota. How many shards are there to choose from? Some are absolutely desolate. There is not item in game I cannot get on my own accord if I'm willing to put in the time and effort. I don't concern myself what other people do..that's what crybabies, whiners, and snow flakes do...

Worry about what you can do....not about what other players are doing you'll enjoy the game alot more.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I can't decide which side in this debate is funnier, so instead I'll just say: No one should just have to put up with a violation of the terms of service, even if it doens't impact their gameplay and even if it isn't a big violation. We all agree to play by these rules and the next time someone complains about their own pet rule being broken I'll say exactly the same thing and see how quick you all reach for the "report this post" button.
I never agreed to abide by any rules of the TOS. I was 'forced' to sign the TOS. I lied that I would follow the TOS so I could play the game I wanted to. UO and all it's rules can go piss up a rope for all I care.

If they don't want me doing something in the game the burden on them is to change the game mechanics, not force some type of morality or ethics I need to follow in an MMORPG.

I'm here to have fun, and enjoy myself; not be told what I can and cannot do, or say.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix @Bleak @Mesanna

The community of current UO players expressed concern about the possible abuse of EJ accounts for this type of spamming. Similar to others in this thread, a gold seller has been spamming on Legends over the evening on different accounts (Avatar19, Avatar21, etc). If RMT sites are ok and this behaviour is acceptable, can you please state as much so that folks don't get worked up thinking it is a TOS violation? If it is in fact not ok, and is something that still violates the TOS, can you approach this now-founded player concern about EJ account abuse by taking action in some way? Either way, it would be nice to see a response from the dev team.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Total BS. What other players do in the game doesn't affect me on iota. How many shards are there to choose from? Some are absolutely desolate. There is not item in game I cannot get on my own accord if I'm willing to put in the time and effort. I don't concern myself what other people do..that's what crybabies, whiners, and snow flakes do...

Worry about what you can do....not about what other players are doing you'll enjoy the game alot more.

While that may be true in some aspects of gameplay... there are several aspects of gameplay where what other people do DOES and WOULD affect you.
Try looting an idoc up against one person who has 15+ accounts there set to autoloot certain desirable items.
Try Pvping against someone with a chiv hybrid build and "programs" healing for them. Or better yet, try having someone raid you that has 4+ multiboxing characters all auto following and healing each other.
Try participating in public events with 50+ characters there with only maybe 8 actual people.
Try stealing desirable stealable items with 5+ accounts there on a timer log in and out check that looks for and steals the item 24/7.

Sure if all you do is hide out and craft, and maybe do a guild hunt here and there, scripters won't affect you much. But when you dive into the more competitive aspects of the game, yes... yes it does indeed affect you.

Sweetpeez

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sumting broke wif da nu publish - all da gold seller were stuck in da help channel befor da publish went libe.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
People who come into these threads defending gold sellers or declaring it to be fine and not affecting their gameplay must be the gold sellers themselves or gold buyers...
Easy tiger..They just said nothing much we can do about it..They did not say they support it..please careful with offending others unfairly..Not in this forum..

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'd seriously like to know how many people play this game that haven't bought gold or a power scroll or vet reward from a RMT site. I certainly have... and I openly despise them. Having them in General is a minor annoyance at most. I'm not defending the practice, but really how hard is it to slide your eyes an inch lower on a chat window?

Even WoW has spammers.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd seriously like to know how many people play this game that haven't bought gold or a power scroll or vet reward from a RMT site. I certainly have... and I openly despise them. Having them in General is a minor annoyance at most. I'm not defending the practice, but really how hard is it to slide your eyes an inch lower on a chat window?

Even WoW has spammers.
I have not and I know others that do not have Stratic accounts that have not. We do not agree with cheaters and we will not support them.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Even WoW has spammers.
I haven't.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
they have already starting the process of selling gold themselves aka the 100k in the EJ starter bundle... wont be long till u can buy a mill or 100m or a plat in the store too...its the way the games being going for a long time now.. they cant beat them...so they may way join them

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well I have. I'm not going to lie about it. I hate RMT too, but seedboxes are too useful for me and I don't go to felucca and PS gold prices are too high when returning to the game.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Even WoW has spammers.
Openly despise me cuz i never have bought from a rmt :p

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
they have already starting the process of selling gold themselves aka the 100k in the EJ starter bundle... wont be long till u can buy a mill or 100m or a plat in the store too...its the way the games being going for a long time now.. they cant beat them...so they may way join them
Beating them would allude to a fight/battle/effort. None of which has ever been attempted by any dev team in the 20 years of UOs' existance. Ever.

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is it the same link/website each time the spammer comes back? or a shortened URL service?

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Chat belongs to everyone and tools exist to filter those you don't like. The reason the player spamming is using new names every time is because they are getting banned for it on the accounts that break the rules. If they are breaking rules to get the gold they will eventually be caught and banned too, I hear some pretty high profile players lost a bunch of accounts today so things are actually better on the enforcement front.

People being offended over relatively minor or trivial things and expecting the "offenders" souls to be taken as a response is a problem these days. My advice is to use the in game tools as they were designed and trust that the offender will be dealt with(in time). Starting forum discussions, being so offended by the messages, etc... it's time for a break if you start to feel anger over this type of stuff.

Seems most cheaters are laying low today but some aren't, and some got smacked on multiple accounts... it's only been a day, give it a little time to work.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hear some pretty high profile players lost a bunch of accounts today so things are actually better on the enforcement front
Do tell, I haven't heard this. Untill/unless there is proof I wont belive it either lol. heard all this before, its used as often as 'soon' and 'on the radar'

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Even WoW has spammers.
Why to justify your cheating or to make yourself feel better.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is it the same link/website each time the spammer comes back? or a shortened URL service?
They say the web address. I didnt know tiny url was still a thing.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Chat belongs to everyone and tools exist to filter those you don't like. The reason the player spamming is using new names every time is because they are getting banned for it on the accounts that break the rules. If they are breaking rules to get the gold they will eventually be caught and banned too, I hear some pretty high profile players lost a bunch of accounts today so things are actually better on the enforcement front.

People being offended over relatively minor or trivial things and expecting the "offenders" souls to be taken as a response is a problem these days. My advice is to use the in game tools as they were designed and trust that the offender will be dealt with(in time). Starting forum discussions, being so offended by the messages, etc... it's time for a break if you start to feel anger over this type of stuff.

Seems most cheaters are laying low today but some aren't, and some got smacked on multiple accounts... it's only been a day, give it a little time to work.
If there are filters in place then why even have rules. It is just like the profanity filter stupidest thing there is. Enforce the ALL the rules or don't enforce any of them.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Do tell, I haven't heard this. Untill/unless there is proof I wont belive it either lol. heard all this before, its used as often as 'soon' and 'on the radar'
It appears to be legitimate. Two scripters who are most known for farming legendary armor pieces got 24 hour suspensions on 10+ accounts. Hopefully they become permanent bans.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Logged into UO for the first time in over a decade and the first thing I saw was the spam about codes/gold and stuff for sale, I can understand why people get annoyed by it.
Ya honestly the books I don’t mind (can find gold way cheaper) but the spamming in chat has to stop

:rant2: