• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Account Center Downtime

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings Everyone, The Account Center will be down Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 10am ET for updates. We expect this downtime to last approximately 2 hours. This is in addition to scheduled downtime on Thursday while we have the shards down publishing Endless Journey. Please note this does not mean Endless Journey will be activate on Wednesday. Endless Journey will not be active until Publish 99 is deployed world wide. I would also like to take this time to warn everyone that we will be actioning accounts that are caught scripting and/or multiboxing. We are not going to be giving […]

Continue reading...

Planters

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Well see my question is this... have multiple uo’s running at once and multi boxing are 2 different things. Are they saying we can have 2 account running at once? I have to add my account to houses I build and there is no other way to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well see my question is this... have multiple uo’s running at once and multi boxing are 2 different things. Are they saying we can have 2 account running at once? I have to add my account to houses I build and there is no other way to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Multiboxing is done through "programs" that control multiple accounts at the same time. Usually seen at EM events when people have 6+ characters piled, performing the same actions at the same time. Having more than one account open and manually switching screens and controlling them individually is not multiboxing and that is allowed.

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
A while back Mesanna said(in person) that they've written some new code to detect programs being used for things like filling bods, gathering resources and dealing with NPCs so it's not going to be about having two or more accounts online, it's about what any account is actually doing.

That warning on UO.com today also said there would be NO warnings, which is a step harsher than the original(warning paid accounts once). So, if they are finally just going to detect programs it's safe to assume that if you use them and they aren't on the upcoming approved list you are not likely to be safe.

Let me ask you this - Do you believe for ONE SECOND that people with 40 accounts and multiple castles full of bods and more ingots/bods mined per day than is even physically possible without scripts are "legit" as they ALWAYS claim they are? In my experience those who demand the most admiration or flaunt the most wealth tend to be the dirtiest of the dirty.

On the bright side, I suspect we'll be seeing some ownership change in Luna as bans go out. It's equally improbable that vendors constantly stocked 24/7 with one or more 5.0's of every skill type are actually, you know, not bot farming pinks. Same with legendaries, you don't get 100's of them per day by playing normally, lol.

I hope an EM makes an example of one of these multiboxing fools in front of everyone else too btw, there will be no sorrow felt for those people... they've charged 300 million for a 2 minute old rare long enough, lol.

edit: NO GM INTERACTION REQUIRED - so don't go writing gm script halting detection into your code, they won't need to say hello to know if an actual player is there, and it's about time. I hope she's merciless with this, some have become too fat and rich from their scripts.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't believe they are gonna do a lot of enforcement. We've heard all this before. If she bans the scripters too, we really can all go play on one shard, cause there won't be many people left!

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mesanna needs to explicitly lay out what is now illegal vs what was ignored previously, especially since she's repeatedly said somethings are fine while "others" aren't.

Obviously, multiboxing is going to be a no-no after Thursday. About pancaking time. Multiclienting remains legal (though it wouldn't hurt for her to reiterate that, while accurately defining the words!).

So, what about attended macroing vs unattended? The first has been deemed "ok" by the devs, while the latter is illegal - but rarely enforced.

Which 3rd party, client-interacting programs are ok to use, which are not? She will actually have to name the programs that are allowed AND which are verboten. Personally, I remain dubious of their ability to accurately detect usage, especially after Mesanna quipped that a large percentage of attendees at a particular M&G were currently using them. (it smacked of Calvin's lame spreadsheet nonsense)

All in all, I'm betting we get a few months of avid, see-we-told-you-so enforcement and then it's scaled back.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, they need to lay out just what is an isn't acceptable...

Is UOCartographer ok??? not ok??? How about attended macroing?

I'm curious as to how this will pan out but at the same time... I'm not holding my breath. I've heard the song and dance before. But maybe as people get banned word will spread and the cheating will die down... as it is now things have gotten pretty bad IMO.

On that note maybe it'll get more folk to try the EC. I'd be ok with that.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EC lol
I try to use it for spawns. Sometimes have to quit mid spawn and log, to clear the ghost mobs off the screen....crazy

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
EC lol
I try to use it for spawns. Sometimes have to quit mid spawn and log, to clear the ghost mobs off the screen....crazy
I just make note of them and when the spawn is done I close and reopen the client... it is EXTREMELY Annoying... and I highly doubt they will ever fix it.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Let's hope she actually follows through with it! Let's also hope she adds RMT people to the bans. :)
You do realize that EBay banned in game item sales for UO in the mid 2000's and EA / Broadsword did not take any stance on RMT, right?

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A while back Mesanna said(in person) that they've written some new code to detect programs being used for things like filling bods, gathering resources and dealing with NPCs so it's not going to be about having two or more accounts online, it's about what any account is actually doing.

That warning on UO.com today also said there would be NO warnings, which is a step harsher than the original(warning paid accounts once). So, if they are finally just going to detect programs it's safe to assume that if you use them and they aren't on the upcoming approved list you are not likely to be safe.

Let me ask you this - Do you believe for ONE SECOND that people with 40 accounts and multiple castles full of bods and more ingots/bods mined per day than is even physically possible without scripts are "legit" as they ALWAYS claim they are? In my experience those who demand the most admiration or flaunt the most wealth tend to be the dirtiest of the dirty.

On the bright side, I suspect we'll be seeing some ownership change in Luna as bans go out. It's equally improbable that vendors constantly stocked 24/7 with one or more 5.0's of every skill type are actually, you know, not bot farming pinks. Same with legendaries, you don't get 100's of them per day by playing normally, lol.

I hope an EM makes an example of one of these multiboxing fools in front of everyone else too btw, there will be no sorrow felt for those people... they've charged 300 million for a 2 minute old rare long enough, lol.

edit: NO GM INTERACTION REQUIRED - so don't go writing gm script halting detection into your code, they won't need to say hello to know if an actual player is there, and it's about time. I hope she's merciless with this, some have become too fat and rich from their scripts.
If ... and I use the word "if" very loosely here ... the multiboxers are terminated without warning. Does that mean that IDOCers are gonna have a field day every so often? Isn't that also good for the game?

Treasure Hunter

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
You do realize that EBay banned in game item sales for UO in the mid 2000's and EA / Broadsword did not take any stance on RMT, right?
Didn't Ebay ban UO stuff because of all the "I paid and got nothing" complaints? (Just curious).

If ... and I use the word "if" very loosely here ... the multiboxers are terminated without warning. Does that mean that IDOCers are gonna have a field day every so often? Isn't that also good for the game?
Now, we all know she isn't going to ban her buddies that do all the idoc scripting. So yeah, it will help them!

It would be a nice start if they put an end to that idiot spamming general chat and dropping all his damn books for his/her gold selling site too.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mesanna needs to explicitly lay out what is now illegal vs what was ignored previously, especially since she's repeatedly said somethings are fine while "others" aren't.

Obviously, multiboxing is going to be a no-no after Thursday. About pancaking time. Multiclienting remains legal (though it wouldn't hurt for her to reiterate that, while accurately defining the words!).

So, what about attended macroing vs unattended? The first has been deemed "ok" by the devs, while the latter is illegal - but rarely enforced.

Which 3rd party, client-interacting programs are ok to use, which are not? She will actually have to name the programs that are allowed AND which are verboten. Personally, I remain dubious of their ability to accurately detect usage, especially after Mesanna quipped that a large percentage of attendees at a particular M&G were currently using them. (it smacked of Calvin's lame spreadsheet nonsense)

All in all, I'm betting we get a few months of avid, see-we-told-you-so enforcement and then it's scaled back.
I remember Mesanna saying and I think it was at a M&G that as long as you were not AFK everything was legal with the exception of multiboxing. She really needs to state in bullet format what is and is legal now, no bsing or blah blah blah but straight out facts.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I remember Mesanna saying and I think it was at a M&G that as long as you were not AFK everything was legal with the exception of multiboxing. She really needs to state in bullet format what is and is legal now, no bsing or blah blah blah but straight out facts.
Exactly.

Help us, Obi-Wan @Kyronix, you're our only hope!

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
There is no ambiguity in the official words anymore, no "level of OK" so to speak.

...we will be actioning accounts that are caught scripting and/or multiboxing
So if you want to know what's legit ask yourself - am I using a script to do this? If so... /wave

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is no ambiguity in the official words anymore, no "level of OK" so to speak.

So if you want to know what's legit ask yourself - am I using a script to do this? If so... /wave
But she also stated that if you were not AFK Scripting that it was ok so she needs to come on here and stated bottom line yes or no.

Last edited:

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As long as everyone uses in-game means of scripting (i.e. macros) or white-listed 3rd party software (i.e. UOA & its macros) AND you're not doing it unattened, everyone should be perfectly safe.
Any other usage of prohibited 3rd-party software or unattended macroing... well, ban away, fine with me ;)

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As long as everyone uses in-game means of scripting (i.e. macros) or white-listed 3rd party software (i.e. UOA & its macros) AND you're not doing it unattened, everyone should be perfectly safe.
Any other usage of prohibited 3rd-party software or unattended macroing... well, ban away, fine with me ;)
You are correct. BUT ... for as long as I can remember this has been the policy and never, ever enforced.

I hold out little hope for any meaningful enforcement.