• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Atlantic Population

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its the most populated server, very populated. Welcome back, u might as well check Europa if you live around europe, it’s been very active the last couple weeks.

tombomb84

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Ok thanks guys! Looking forward to it. I'm pretty sure my account is homeless and characters are naked lol. Gonna take some time to build up gold. But looking forward to returning! Didn't want to do it if it was a ghost town lol.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Just remember Atlantic comes at a premium. Things cost at least twice what they cost on the other shards. Problem being you might not be able to find the items you want on the other shards. It's all give and take. On Atlantic an 18x18 in a nice area might cost ya a bunch. Any other shard you can probably place one in about any area you want. So it's all a trade off.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just remember Atlantic comes at a premium. Things cost at least twice what they cost on the other shards. Problem being you might not be able to find the items you want on the other shards. It's all give and take. On Atlantic an 18x18 in a nice area might cost ya a bunch. Any other shard you can probably place one in about any area you want. So it's all a trade off.
On other shards, if you cannot find it on VS, just ask in general. On Chesapeake someone almost always has it.

Also some of the other shards populations aren't as bad as people from Atlantic would make you think.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
On other shards, if you cannot find it on VS, just ask in general. On Chesapeake someone almost always has it.

Also some of the other shards populations aren't as bad as people from Atlantic would make you think.
Completely true. It can be hard vendoring on Legends sometimes as people tend to freely give you anything you need lol

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yep, Atlantic still has lots of players, although our guild isn't as active anymore compared to when you left. It's great to hear from you again :)

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
We need to be fair : Not all people on Atl are rude, and some people will give you 1-2 M just for the asking...Also NOT everything is very expensive at ATL, actually lots of items are 50% the price of other shards, example : PS. It is supply and demand that control the price. Availability of housing is a diff matter : In a populated shard like ATL, the supply is LOW due to the # of players, and demand is high, so pricing for housing will be high. You should still be able to have or share a house there eventually. Welcome back and have fun most importantly..

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hello all! Im thinkong of returning. Does Atlantic shard still have a decent amount of players?
Yea. I log in every once in a while and usually have no problem finding some rando somewhere to have a fun evening with.

Don't buy into the hate ;) I'm not sure where the people meet all those rude people. I play Atlantic exclusively. People I meet on the street are 9/10 friendly and fun. I guess they actually talk about the people they see in general chat, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, general chat is for the house sitting keyboard warriors, so what gives...

Also remember: Unless you have an account with shard shields, going anywhere but Atlantic could give you a pretty hard time getting commodity stuff without having to beg people for it. On Atlantic you find pretty everything on vendor search whenever you need it..

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure where the people meet all those rude people.
One example: New Haven I grabbed half a dozen spell binders to work up a pets resist and parry. Two minutes into it guy all decked out in high end gear rolls up kills all the binders, says "F You Noob I was here first." and runs off. Same guy kept running around killing everything anyone else was fighting with the same "F You Noob I was here first."

After a hour of this nonsense I stabled the pet and waited for the transfer cool down and went back to a civilized shard. ATL IMO is for buying and selling not for actually playing.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
One example: New Haven I grabbed half a dozen spell binders to work up a pets resist and parry. Two minutes into it guy all decked out in high end gear rolls up kills all the binders, says "F You Noob I was here first." and runs off. Same guy kept running around killing everything anyone else was fighting with the same "F You Noob I was here first."

After a hour of this nonsense I stabled the pet and waited for the transfer cool down and went back to a civilized shard. ATL IMO is for buying and selling not for actually playing.
Just by the bye the spellbinder thing is officially considered an exploit :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
By who? Ancient fools who think they own/run UO? As long as you are attended and working your skill or your pets skill who does that hurt???

Who says that's an exploit??? It's no more an exploit than the guy standing about bashing on a golem, Ogre or Spider... No more an exploit than the guy standing in the safety of his house casting spells over and over and over... no more an exploit than the 2 or 3 people I saw while getting my clickies the last few days standing about in The Bountiful Harvest Inn in Haven casting spells over and over and over... or hiding over and over...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How so? The pet is standing there taking damage, no blocking, no standing on the house porch, no standing on a boat. If I had the pet surrounded by sheep would that also be a exploit? Sorry but I can see the on a boat, on the porch or the blocking them inside a bunch of bag balls trick being a exploit, but not standing in the open taking damage.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
By who? Ancient fools who think they own/run UO? As long as you are attended and working your skill or your pets skill who does that hurt???

Who says that's an exploit??? It's no more an exploit than the guy standing about bashing on a golem, Ogre or Spider... No more an exploit than the guy standing in the safety of his house casting spells over and over and over... no more an exploit than the 2 or 3 people I saw while getting my clickies the last few days standing about in The Bountiful Harvest Inn in Haven casting spells over and over and over... or hiding over and over...
If your running around in the open with them following you around that's fine. But if you go up on the house porch where they can cast on you but can't get to you to make contact then that's an exploit. I've known that forever. Back in the day they checked it regularly but I don't think it's on their radar these days unless someone reports you. Absolutely a thing that would get you into trouble if they still care about it enough to check it out. Usually when people talk about Haven spellbinders they mean stand on the porch of that white house with like 10 spellbinders where they can't get to you, that's the exploit. Another discussion of it here [Resist Spells] - Fastest way to gain Resist Spells?

Last edited:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
How so? The pet is standing there taking damage, no blocking, no standing on the house porch, no standing on a boat. If I had the pet surrounded by sheep would that also be a exploit? Sorry but I can see the on a boat, on the porch or the blocking them inside a bunch of bag balls trick being a exploit, but not standing in the open taking damage.
Yes I assumed it was the famous house porch exploit. You correct. Typically why doing it legal doesn't work well is a spellbinder will die if you sneeze on it :p

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes I assumed it was the famous house porch exploit. You correct. Typically why doing it legal doesn't work well is a spellbinder will die if you sneeze on it :p
Can't gain parry standing on the porch and most shards I have visited the house is not public so you can't stand on the porch anyway. Legends is one of the shards it is still public :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Great Lakes is public...

But even on GLs someone will often come by being a jerk and kill them whether you are on that porch or not... just to be a jerk. Though I don't use the porch... having the pet just stand there in a circle or two of them is great for building up parry at the same time...

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are we really talking about how bad Atlantic is because someone killed the spellbinders someone else rounded up from all old haven? :lol: I had that happen to me too; I did that too; should I feel bad now?

Next up: Someone hit my ogre lord and I had to split fame..

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I get mad when Vlad uses ALL the spellbinders on his pet!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
atlantic and europa either side of the Pond seem best

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Atlantic has a great population, some good people, some bad, sometimes the bad can make unappealing. The problem is that once you start to look at other shards, the population is so low that you hardly feel like there is anyone else on the shard.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Atlantic has a great population, some good people, some bad, sometimes the bad can make unappealing. The problem is that once you start to look at other shards, the population is so low that you hardly feel like there is anyone else on the shard.
On Legends we just don't rant endlessly with PVP crying so it seems quiet lol

Lady Kyo

Seasoned Veteran
Hello all! Im thinkong of returning. Does Atlantic shard still have a decent amount of players?
Yes, but as mentioned Atlantic is rude and the worst shard for trolling, bullying and General Chat is a nightmare. Suggestion: look at Europa and Catskills. I am leaving Atlantic for Catskills, which is quite but nicely populated with friendly helpful players.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I use to go to Atlantic for the rares but there's really not much of a selection anymore. Every EM drop people think is worth 175 mill lol. It's still the best place to sell but it's not what it use to be. I find myself going less and less and bringing more gold I brought back home with me.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I use to go to Atlantic for the rares but there's really not much of a selection anymore. Every EM drop people think is worth 175 mill lol. It's still the best place to sell but it's not what it use to be. I find myself going less and less and bringing more gold I brought back home with me.
No shard is what it used to be. Apart from the random shard bashing back and forth here, that's the really worrysome development.

croy6325

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I returned a couple months ago, Atlantic has always been my shard and it is extremely active. I was invited to multiple guilds within my 1st week, a guildie even handed me 2mil....just because. The shard is awesome, just ignore the chat

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I returned a couple months ago, Atlantic has always been my shard and it is extremely active. I was invited to multiple guilds within my 1st week, a guildie even handed me 2mil....just because. The shard is awesome, just ignore the chat
2 Mil is like handing someone a dime they found on the road these days.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm assuming a lot of things here. But if there were fewer players wouldn't there be more rares available at a cheaper price? Or do people just bank all that stuff when they quit? Maybe EJ will flood the market when people come back and have to empty out their bank box to comply with the new rules? Hmmmmm

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
That's a high estimate... more like 40 cents or less can be as low as 25... FYI.
Well the would be the price on the more well established places that have been around a long time. I've seen some crazy prices on message boards and such but I'm not sure I'd use them lol

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
So easy, and still so hard to grasp for many of the people transferring in to us ;)
The 7th grade boys locker room chat is seriously out of hand but that doesn't bother me nearly as much as the constant spamming. Normal chat of wanting to ask a question or make a rational request for something can get almost impossible. By the time someone replies to your request 6 pages of chat went by and your not even sure if they're talking to you. God knows if you don't spam that ethy horse for sale every 7 seconds for hours someone might miss it.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The 7th grade boys locker room chat is seriously out of hand but that doesn't bother me nearly as much as the constant spamming. Normal chat of wanting to ask a question or make a rational request for something can get almost impossible. By the time someone replies to your request 6 pages of chat went by and your not even sure if they're talking to you. God knows if you don't spam that ethy horse for sale every 7 seconds for hours someone might miss it.
Well said. I can totally agree with all of that :D

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Quick poll of ICQ says about $0.10/mil

I am not big on collecting that stuff, but 175m for an undesirable 20+ drop sounds right.

...where does the greed play into this?
For me it's gotta pop as different. I need to look at it and know it's different. If it's a normal looking item with an odd name on it it's about worthless to me. Just because it's rare doesn't make it desirable to me. Unless it's library related... I'm a sucker for that sometimes. If I have to study it to determine it's rare I don't see the point.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Quick poll of ICQ says about $0.10/mil

I am not big on collecting that stuff, but 175m for an undesirable 20+ drop sounds right.

...where does the greed play into this?

It comes into play because most times, before we all even get gated back from the event location, Someone will be already spamming "tonights drop- 150mil!!" or whatever