• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Griefed Yet Again =[

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
So I have sat in HELP chat for years and helped people by answering their questions, gold, armor,vendors and guild. The game is dying and have not heard a peep for 3 nights now. (Atlantic) SO tonight a person asked how to look at quest in CC and I tell them click there paper doll and someone else tells them I'm wrong , tells them a different way and proceeds to make fun of my name. I try to explain its confusing enough and went to look for this person at Haven. Eventually this person admits they are also the one asking the question. *sigh* Meanwhile at Haven one of my friends Max is there and I tell him what happened and he has joined another guild. While talking to him another new player wanted to know how to talk in Guild. I told them and another new player from this same guild told me to be quiet that Max is an Emmy and they wanted an answer from him. He still had not answered so I told this person Back Slash. They did thank me as the other guild member went away muttering insults being old, grandma and that I should tend to my knitting and grandchildren.
Then back in Help Chat yet another person says my name stands for trash and I try to force my know it all attitude on everyone.
Wow 20 years.......I have closed one account and I am speeding up closing another. I cant handle the as someone told me "IN YOUR FACE" generation. I guess I don't belong anymore. A player told me also that its not 1993 anymore and I needed a different game.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Possibly come over to Europa, and take a look at the RAAM guild, they are a lovely guild, and you may find like minded individuals.

Atlantic has sort of become the dross house of all the shards, where everything that is wrong with UO currently is focussing.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is why most people avoid Global chat channels in UO, they are just full of spite and drama, real life has enough of that, I just keep it turned off. :(
I personally don't understand why @Mesanna is doing nothing here. No other game I play is as bad as UO. Those trolls know they get away with it 100% of the time.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Atlantic is known for it's abusive juvenile behavior. Time for you to find a new home? Take a look around at other shards. You might find one that fits you better.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nothing happens because no one reports it. Nuff said
It's well known to Broadsword and they actively choose to bury their heads in sand. It's very obvious. Not sure if they really want to make EJ a success, or just have it as busywork without any motivation to make it work at all.

Those are real people abusing global chat. Permaban their accounts twice and they are not coming back. It's not like the gold selling bots in haven that have no human behind and can be recreated in 10 seconds.

Last edited:

Lady Kyo

Seasoned Veteran
It's well known to Broadsword and they actively choose to bury their heads in sand. It's very obvious. Not sure if they really want to make EJ a success, or just have it as busywork without any motivation to make it work at all.

Those are real people abusing global chat. Permaban their accounts twice and they are not coming back. It's not like the gold selling bots in haven that have no human behind and can be recreated in 10 seconds.
Permaban didn't/doesn't stop one troll (we know who I refer to ) on Atlantic from returning every 2 weeks with a free trial account. People do report but are frustrated by the lack of action by the GM's (long waits or nothing done). Its frustrating waiting on a GM for an hour or more and no one to support this on the weekends, when its the worst.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Permaban didn't/doesn't stop one troll (we know who I refer to ) on Atlantic from returning every 2 weeks with a free trial account. People do report but are frustrated by the lack of action by the GM's (long waits or nothing done). Its frustrating waiting on a GM for an hour or more and no one to support this on the weekends, when its the worst.
Yea that's where it gets so sad: It's so obvious to most of us players, yet the powers that are even paid to work on it every day couldn't care less.

Lady Kyo

Seasoned Veteran
this is the main reason I refuse to use the chat channels. The infantile behavior of these so-called adults is abyssmal. Jeez.
Part of the reason I left Atlantic for Catskills. I reactivated my old Catskills account and took my stuff from Atl to Cats. Soooo quiet. And friendly. And Helpful. No bullying, griefing taunting or rumour starting.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow 20 years.......I have closed one account and I am speeding up closing another. I cant handle the as someone told me "IN YOUR FACE" generation. I guess I don't belong anymore. A player told me also that its not 1993 anymore and I needed a different game.
Don't get discouraged. With the name that person had, I bet you never see them again. There are people who return and seem jealous the game is still being played. What you are doing is similar to a customer service job. You can answer what you can, but you can not control the situation that made the person angry in the first place. Keep monitoring that help channel.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have seen LOT of old come back players and new players at Europa in few weeks. Seems like more and more people account to good commonity over full stuffed economy.

Lot of PvPers have come back, we are almost talking 20v20, old style faction days fighting.

For those who say Felucca is empty, you need to come and visit us. :)

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you decide to check out other shards. You will be welcome on Legends just ask for Luc or look up SOS guild. Legends is a fairly quiet shard.

Atlantic is the Mos Eisley of UO.

"Mos Eisley Spaceport. Atlantic Shard. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."
―Obi-Wan Kenobi, to Luke Skywalker

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NOT time to leave the game - but maybe time to look for a more mature community. Many shards have players who admit to having grandchildren, doesn't mean they're too old to play! One of my favourite quotes goes something like 'Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional'. As you can see from my avatar <-- I freely admit to being a wee bit long in the tooth, but no foul mouthed bottom feeder is pushing ME out of the game I enjoy so much.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
your 1st mistake was you where on ATL.
your 2nd mistake was you where in General Chat.
your 3rd mistake was you where listening to people WHO TALK IN ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME!

i was actually on when the conversation you are talking about was going on, which in itself is funny because i dont play on ATL.
but i do have to say you probably should not have general chat on if your feelings get hurt that fast and easy.
if your on the internet on a platform inhabited by people from all over the world and of any age group you really cant play the surprised card when you find some loud kid that is just there to get your goat.
i myself actually ENJOY confrontation and i dont even hang out in general chat on ATL (or i try not to, but sometimes you just cant look away)

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Sorry to hear you had to endure that crap. Really baffling that being helpful gets you hatred... But it says all about them losers, please don't get discouraged and keep being the helpful you!
Another positive voice from Europa shard here, the help chat on our shard is indeed used a lot for that, questions and helping. (Though we admit we tend to use it a bit much for conversations at times, when bumping into a friend on there heh.)

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
your 3rd mistake was you where listening to people WHO TALK IN ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME!

i was actually on when the conversation you are talking about was going on, which in itself is funny because i dont play on ATL.
but i do have to say you probably should not have general chat on if your feelings get hurt that fast and easy.
if your on the internet on a platform inhabited by people from all over the world and of any age group you really cant play the surprised card when you find some loud kid that is just there to get your goat.
i myself actually ENJOY confrontation and i dont even hang out in general chat on ATL (or i try not to, but sometimes you just cant look away)
She said she was in help channel, not general (which I avoid when on Atlantic). Are you both talking the same thing? In any event, I also like to monitor the help channel, but it can get pathetic when the adolescents take over

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Come over to Pacific! There's some pvp banter on occasion, but it is almost like friendly rivalry talk these days. I haven't seen trolling in ages.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Philly! *hugs* Ignore those silly people. They have stinky lives so they act stupid in UO. Never take their petty problems on as your own. You are awesome! They are not.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
On LA, you can tell when the PvPers cross-sharding from Atlantic are on - General Chat goes from being civil and helpful to being full of hateful BS that has nothing to do with most locals.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I do not take crap in general chat if they insult me, family or guildmates I just leave the chat. Overall I had only a few encounters since my return in 2015, and I found that placing them in the ignore works wonders :)

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Thanks for being there to help people out. It is appreciate and usually when commenting in chat it helps people who otherwise would not or might not ask.

Every village has its idiots, try not to get to discouraged.

*Tips the brim of his hat with his left hand and raises his glass of Good Old Moonglow Red in salute to your efforts*

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
This is a general thing. Most of time on Drachenfels Gen chat is empty or quiet. When a certain guild logs in and starts trolling, or even worse when a fel idoc is happening and the flood from Europa and atl trolls show up, it’s absolutely awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
She said she was in help channel, not general (which I avoid when on Atlantic). Are you both talking the same thing? In any event, I also like to monitor the help channel, but it can get pathetic when the adolescents take over
OP was in General Chat going over it with everyone.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
So I have sat in HELP chat for years and helped people by answering their questions, gold, armor,vendors and guild. The game is dying and have not heard a peep for 3 nights now. (Atlantic) SO tonight a person asked how to look at quest in CC and I tell them click there paper doll and someone else tells them I'm wrong , tells them a different way and proceeds to make fun of my name. I try to explain its confusing enough and went to look for this person at Haven. Eventually this person admits they are also the one asking the question. *sigh* Meanwhile at Haven one of my friends Max is there and I tell him what happened and he has joined another guild. While talking to him another new player wanted to know how to talk in Guild. I told them and another new player from this same guild told me to be quiet that Max is an Emmy and they wanted an answer from him. He still had not answered so I told this person Back Slash. They did thank me as the other guild member went away muttering insults being old, grandma and that I should tend to my knitting and grandchildren.
Then back in Help Chat yet another person says my name stands for trash and I try to force my know it all attitude on everyone.
Never let those little punks get the better of you!

I enjoyed the conversations we had, have a great Thanksgiving Philly!

Tia

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is one of the main reasons i left Europa the trolling/ real life abuse / foul language/ racism was disgusting, and nothing was ever done about it.. it shouldn't be allowed to let twisted trolls trolling people about their real lives...
I have now closed 2 accounts and a 3rd will be closed next week... 14 years off playing and paying my subscriptions i want to be able to enjoy the game not log on and have to take sickening abuse from vile trolls

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is one of the main reasons i left Europa the trolling/ real life abuse / foul language/ racism was disgusting, and nothing was ever done about it.. it shouldn't be allowed to let twisted trolls trolling people about their real lives...
I have now closed 2 accounts and a 3rd will be closed next week... 14 years off playing and paying my subscriptions i want to be able to enjoy the game not log on and have to take sickening abuse from vile trolls
This is why I took a stand against bullying in-game... it's cost me dearly in friendships... but at the same time... I supposed it's saved me. I now know more about those I considered friends before they targeted me. I learned who was a true friend and who was a two-faced bigot. The lesson was enlightening. But it won't make me quit.

Things that will make me quit would be if the inability to loot public corpses continues, if it continues to take forever and a day to die in the EC, if I continue to have to play without immersion by turning off ALL the effects... making the game look terrible... if the path continues around greed and soloism and grinding... and away from community. Those things are killing the game for me...

But if you think about it Tia... this is the environment that the DEVs have been breeding for years... selfish greed... which leads to trolling, abuse, and all other foul behaviors... What reason is there to work together as a community anymore? You don't need anyone else to hunt... other people might get the drop you should have had... and such. Everyone has become an enemy to others getting stuffs... and making money...

Philly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran

i myself actually ENJOY confrontation and i don't even hang out in general chat on ATL (or i try not to, but sometimes you just cant look away)
You apparently seen something else. 1. I was not in General Chat (was prob my troll stealer of my name. 2. No one was talking in all Caps. 3. This conversation all took place in Haven at haven bank. 4. You are wrong on all accounts and saying you like this stuff doesn't make you very like able and apparently one of all who above has describe. Now you should be happy you got mmmmm confrontation from me back???? You are wrong on all accounts Sir.

Philly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I came from dead Baja because I am a merchant. I enjoy helping and making things. When I first came to Atlantic there was all kinds of good and friendly people. They have left long long ago due to these conditions. I have literally watched Atlantic die. Its due to all the abuse. Like many said above nothing is done about it. The one perma troll on a trial account I have reported many times as have many others but nothing is ever done about him. I want to Thank All of you for the positive feed back and invites to other Shards. It made me realize I am someone and I am important. I guess we all push on because I have tried other games and don't care for them. I will pick and choose more carefully now. So back to unloading this Malas 18x18 and anyone interested in a complete mini house deed set? =]

Melchiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Don't let them get you down - as others have said, there will be bad apples wherever you go online. Keyboard warriors that portend to get away with whatever they can just to make them feel a little better by putting others down.

As for Europa, and I guess Atlantic as well, it can be all down to which circles you interact with. Certainly for Europa there's a fair few to be avoided, but don't confuse them with a majority of good-natured guilds and players. We couldn't have kept going without that goodwill, and if in doubt, we've been learning to swear in 44 languages for years!

Aj TUK

Adventurer
Okay first of all I have read through the entirety of this post... mainly because, I am bored as **** right now :) Philly I am sorry you feel the way u feel the main thing I can suggest to u is you do a shard hop. I would suggest the Europa shard. Don't get me wrong (please don't jump on me as I say this) but I enjoy the confrontation but that's mainly because I am a pvper. I also understand some people don't like it and there are lines which some people do not appreciate being crossed. I do trash talk and I do use capital letters a lot but I have boundaries and I don't over step them... Reason why i'm saying this is because, I want to let u know what I am like before I give you a guild invitation on Europa. I am the TUK representative, first of all not everyone is as outspoken as I am on many of the general chat facilities and when you get to know me I am a nice guy and I can sympathise with how u feel with the 'trolling' however, I do not think you should leave the game. You have a guild invitation by me for a new start if you want to join Europa, we are in alliance with W and WOY (pvp/pvm alliance) however, if you would just like to trade you will be more than welcome to join a friendly alliance.
Kind regards Aj (The man, the myth, the legend)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So back to unloading this Malas 18x18 and anyone interested in a complete mini house deed set? =]
Why let some idiot get under your skin? That person came to UO to see what was going on and they saw people having fun and they were jealous so they took it out on you.

DO NOT LET THEM WIN!

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
You apparently seen something else. 1. I was not in General Chat (was prob my troll stealer of my name. 2. No one was talking in all Caps. 3. This conversation all took place in Haven at haven bank. 4. You are wrong on all accounts and saying you like this stuff doesn't make you very like able and apparently one of all who above has describe. Now you should be happy you got mmmmm confrontation from me back???? You are wrong on all accounts Sir.
well that is super weird.
someone was in General Chat with the exact same story as you at the exact same time as you talking/complaining about.... the exact thing.
now im all for coincidences but....

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm traveling for work and not even playing, but really am disturbed by this topic. You all are really expecting bans for trolling?

This board and game is full of old people that want stupid moral/ethic rules in the game. I joined the BEST guild I've played with in this game for like a month. A moderator on this board is part of the guild. But that 2nd time someone told me to watch my language after saying "Damn" or some other word that I don't even consider a curse... I left immediately. I liked the guild. I liked the people... But I'm not going to change my behavior for people.

The moment someone says "don't do what you're doing" to another adult you are asserting dominance. The only response to that is to either bend over and take it or leave.

More on topic, as a person that has and does troll, just don't respond. Train your eyes to move further down the chat if it's moving or to just block it out. You want to respond and you think it will be helpful to respond, but don't. Either you care enough to bend over and take it (By not helping anymore) or don't and you just leave that conversation like an adult.

Don't expect others to police this game to the point it's all people that think they are moral almighties talking back and forth about nothing interesting. The rules on this board and in other games makes things boring. Warcraft instituted a chat limit where you could only say so much in an amount of time. The result? Dead chats everywhere.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This board and game is full of old people that want stupid moral/ethic rules in the game.
While I understand the general concept of what you mean here... I see it another way. Those people weren't always old, and the world in general was also less screwed up when those old people were young. They have maintained the morals of the less screwed up version of the world, while society itself changed its expectations. The world has become more chaotic ever since that changed... so apparently, those old school morals are what prevented the chaos the whole time. Those people don't want to see UO destroy itself with chaos like the real world has, hence they try to maintain the morals/ethics in game as much as they can.

To younger people (myself included, I'm only 35) it sometimes looks controlling and like asserting dominance, but to the people doing it they are trying to preserve the community by preventing chaos.

If you notice, pretty much all the trolls and griefers in UO are young (by UO standards anyway) while almost all of the people who help other players on a daily basis are older. That's not a coincidence...

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
While I understand the general concept of what you mean here... I see it another way. Those people weren't always old, and the world in general was also less screwed up when those old people were young. They have maintained the morals of the less screwed up version of the world, while society itself changed its expectations. The world has become more chaotic ever since that changed... so apparently, those old school morals are what prevented the chaos the whole time. Those people don't want to see UO destroy itself with chaos like the real world has, hence they try to maintain the morals/ethics in game as much as they can.

To younger people (myself included, I'm only 35) it sometimes looks controlling and like asserting dominance, but to the people doing it they are trying to preserve the community by preventing chaos.

If you notice, pretty much all the trolls and griefers in UO are young (by UO standards anyway) while almost all of the people who help other players on a daily basis are older. That's not a coincidence...
I help and I troll. I'm 35 as well. I think you'd be surprised... Some of the most popular sites on the internet are troll sites. It's a video game. Trying to equate a person's behavior online into how they act in real life is ludicrous.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I help and I troll. I'm 35 as well. I think you'd be surprised... Some of the most popular sites on the internet are troll sites. It's a video game. Trying to equate a person's behavior online into how they act in real life is ludicrous.
I dont know about that.
im a smart ass in RL and im a smart ass here.
some things cross platforms, smart assiness i guess is one that does.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Just stay out of help chat... It's almost like people are addicted to a toxic environment.
If you'd be talking about General Chat, we could understand. But Help Chat is meant for those seeking help and those willing to offer help. So a person like Philly DOES belong in that channel, how else to catch the newbies (and returnees) trying to find their footing?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you'd be talking about General Chat, we could understand. But Help Chat is meant for those seeking help and those willing to offer help. So a person like Philly DOES belong in that channel, how else to catch the newbies (and returnees) trying to find their footing?
Not really, just reading that block of text was hard enough. I can't imagine trying to get help and needing to read sentence structure like that to understand. She/he could have just dropped it after telling them how to look up quests in paperdoll or when the other person said they wanted an answer from the emissary. My whole point is that she was more trollish than they were. Just because you want to help doesn't mean you are the best at it.

I've seen two people trying to help in HELP chat so many times both give the right answer but then argue about which is more "righter". It's easy troll pickens from there. Just saying again... if you don't want to be trolled, just help and ignore the static noise that isn't what you want to see. If you ignore a troll they can't keep adding fuel to your thin skinned prissy fire.

Morgana Grim

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes Help was originally "meant" for help and it's where trial accounts dump. On Atlantic it's simply another social chat room with about as much "help" added to the conversation as in General Chat.

Not really, just reading that block of text was hard enough. I can't imagine trying to get help and needing to read sentence structure like that to understand. She/he could have just dropped it after telling them how to look up quests in paperdoll or when the other person said they wanted an answer from the emissary. My whole point is that she was more trollish than they were. Just because you want to help doesn't mean you are the best at it.

I've seen two people trying to help in HELP chat so many times both give the right answer but then argue about which is more "righter". It's easy troll pickens from there. Just saying again... if you don't want to be trolled, just help and ignore the static noise that isn't what you want to see. If you ignore a troll they can't keep adding fuel to your thin skinned prissy fire.
Yep that's usually how it goes in both Help and General Chat if someone offers advice or an answer and another gets "offended" by that answer and takes it as a personal insult.

There are many types of trolling and griefing ....and yes being offended by everything and having to point it out is a type of trolling. Also trying to sow discord and provoking an emotional response is trolling. Just sayn'

Bluebell

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I know people who have been very upset by the remarks of some people and the way the game has changed over recent years. It is sad. Why aren't people more considerate to their fellow player. There are times when people are rude or abusive. But guys think about it. A laugh between friends is one thing but towards another player or continued 'banter' maybe hurtful and offensive.

And yes I am of the older generation.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I know people who have been very upset by the remarks of some people and the way the game has changed over recent years. It is sad. Why aren't people more considerate to their fellow player. There are times when people are rude or abusive. But guys think about it. A laugh between friends is one thing but towards another player or continued 'banter' maybe hurtful and offensive.

And yes I am of the older generation.
This is true, but people need to learn to shut up. If you're arguing back and forth what gives the fellow player the right of the last word? This is the reason I troll. They won't shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.