• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EA Seems to be in a "closing" mood again...

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Question, what do people think will happen if EA decide to close UO, i know many of u think this wont happen, just looking for a few answers...

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Question, what do people think will happen if EA decide to close UO, i know many of u think this wont happen, just looking for a few answers...
I think most of us will realize how much time we could've put into other things. We'll see how old we've gotten and begin yelling at kids to get off our lawns.

I personally hope it ends in the near future. I don't plan on quitting until the game shuts down, so I need them to do it for me. Hopefully I'd find another game or something that's subscription free to play with the friends I've made.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't see why they ever would, it's keeping a lot of people in business and making cash still. I'm just guessing, but they probably make about 1.2m-2m per year still atm. As long as Broadsword can cover the price of the contract, the player base stays roughly stable, and everything is relatively calm/enjoyable... there's not much reason to ever close down UO.

I for one... would tame a WW and nightmare on one of the "other shards" and start killing stuff. :D :D Then build a nice little house to start anew. I may be only 30... but I don't really like change... lol. Long live UO. Long live the players. :) :)

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It will be bought out by one of the Freeshard owners, they are probably making more money off UO than Broadsword are anyway.....

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont think EA will do anything to UO as Broadsword has the contract to run the business.

However, if Broadsword terminates the contract with EA and nobody takes up UO, we will know it is near the end. As a gamer, I have nothing to worry. I simply continue to play if it is playable.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO will not shut down, I bet. Otherwise we meet on a freeshard, so simple ;) Honestly, there are games in far worse shape and communities with far less options. I have confidence...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It will be bought out by one of the Freeshard owners, they are probably making more money off UO than Broadsword are anyway.....
lol, no it wouldn't. The chances EA sells the Ultima tm for less than many millions is low.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO was going to be shut down a while ago and was convinced not too. There was a producer letter about it, or some post... but, it's been a while.

I think as long as there is online gaming, UO will be around in some form. Even if EA does shut it down, 'free' and not so 'free' shards will pop up all over.

As for what EA is doing... just another example of how they don't get it. And it is why they will always be behind Blizzard.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Step 1: 6 month and then 3 month game time codes will suddenly stop being sold for no apparent reason and with no explanation.

Step 2: credit cards will suddenly stop getting charged and will be deleted from account pages, and then one month game time codes will disappear. Without any explanation.

Step 3: They will finally announce why it happened and the game is shutting down in a few weeks, thank us for playing the game, and possibly give us free game time for another one of their games.

That is the pattern EA almost always follows, and they have shut down hundreds of games that way.

They avoid announcing the shut down for as long as possible to minimize damage to their stock prices.

Planters

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Somewhere there is a list of games EA has shut down and it's rather extensive. They shut down several games, and launch several games, every quarter.
EA closed an MMORPG called Motor City Online way back when, they handed out free 30 day gametime codes for other EA games, along with a 30 day warning the game was permanently being shuttered.

In a way Broadsword protects the game, but in another they add yet another level of drain to the income by needing to pay an extra layer of employees, offices, etc.

I figured this post would be about the fact that the most popular scripting platform has not worked since last patch and one of the two people who updates it quickly is stepping away, shutting down his site at the end of the month. Boo hoo, no love lost for scripters I know, but not all are gold farmers, some do it to avoid carpel tunnel or having to press a key 5000 times for each 0.1 gain... or they do it because if they don't they stand no chance vs elite scripters (pvp, idocs etc). Many may quit if updates become few and far between.

Maybe it's just the fall weather, who knows.
Wow there’s more than one script out there? Thought they were all the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UO will not shut down, I bet. Otherwise we meet on a freeshard, so simple ;) Honestly, there are games in far worse shape and communities with far less options. I have confidence...
We need to make pacts now to meet up. or we might not ever see each other again. :(

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
EA shutting down Visceral Games, overhauling Star Wars game (update)
Isn't this normal corporate procedure though? clean up the books before the end of the year. If UO is still profitable then I don't see why they would shut it down, also I still feel they like the fact of owning the longest running MMORPG but that's just me hehe :p

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Isn't this normal corporate procedure though? clean up the books before the end of the year. If UO is still profitable then I don't see why they would shut it down, also I still feel they like the fact of owning the longest running MMORPG but that's just me hehe :p
I just get nervous any time EA starts that stuff lol. You never know with them honestly. But then again I don't guess it would be any different no matter which "huge conglomerate" was at the top of the UO Helm. Once you get so far removed from those who passionately care about the game everything is based on money in/money out which is often judged and decided on by someone who probably knows nothing about video games... only "board of directors" and "street estimates" lol

I'll still be here @Stratics, you guys are welcome to hang out here too you know.
UO and Stratics ... Two things that I will continue as long as they both last or until I drop, whichever comes first.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see why they ever would, it's keeping a lot of people in business and making cash still. I'm just guessing, but they probably make about 1.2m-2m per year still atm. As long as Broadsword can cover the price of the contract, the player base stays roughly stable, and everything is relatively calm/enjoyable... there's not much reason to ever close down UO.

I for one... would tame a WW and nightmare on one of the "other shards" and start killing stuff. :D :D Then build a nice little house to start anew. I may be only 30... but I don't really like change... lol. Long live UO. Long live the players. :) :)
Hi there - I would be surprised if UO made 1.2-2m per year net profit. If there were 10,000 accounts paying $15 per month that equals a turnover of $1.8m. Turnover isn't profit, so operating costs would have to be taken out of that 1.8m. I could be very wrong, but the net profit of UO would be relatively small [but still worth having in the pot!]

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mean, EA can fire them at any time. They own the game, and the name.
Of course they can’t fire them at any time. BS will have a legally binding contract with EA to administer the game. What EA can do is not renew the contract when it expires, likewise BS can do the same.

That’s the point at which I’d be concerned. If the contract isn’t picked up by BS then EA may can it at that point rather than trying to find another subcontractor.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi there - I would be surprised if UO made 1.2-2m per year net profit. If there were 10,000 accounts paying $15 per month that equals a turnover of $1.8m. Turnover isn't profit, so operating costs would have to be taken out of that 1.8m. I could be very wrong, but the net profit of UO would be relatively small [but still worth having in the pot!]
The main operating cost is broadswords contract. BS are paid to administer the game. That profit margin is getting thinner with every lost sub.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Of course they can’t fire them at any time. BS will have a legally binding contract with EA to administer the game. What EA can do is not renew the contract when it expires, likewise BS can do the same.

That’s the point at which I’d be concerned. If the contract isn’t picked up by BS then EA may can it at that point rather than trying to find another subcontractor.
What I mean is they can, within whatever legally acceptable period fire them. I just was pointing out that BS has no hold on UO.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The main operating cost is broadswords contract. BS are paid to administer the game. That profit margin is getting thinner with every lost sub.
Once we see the EM program go, we know the game is on its last leg. I believe Mesanna wants to shore up the loss of those subscriptions with these micro-transactions, which I think the community has been telling her to do for years. The only issue I have with UO is why should I still pay 12:99 a month for a 5 man dev team? The subscription price needs to be adjusted to the amount of content being produced and 12.99 in 2002 was fine when our dev team consisted of 30-40 people.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once we see the EM program go, we know the game is on its last leg. I believe Mesanna wants to shore up the loss of those subscriptions with these micro-transactions, which I think the community has been telling her to do for years. The only issue I have with UO is why should I still pay 12:99 a month for a 5 man dev team? The subscription price needs to be adjusted to the amount of content being produced and 12.99 in 2002 was fine when our dev team consisted of 30-40 people.
$12.99 if you pay monthly $10 if you pay in 6 month blocks but either way pretty damn cheap for a months worth of entertainment.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
$12.99 if you pay monthly $10 if you pay in 6 month blocks but either way pretty damn cheap for a months worth of entertainment.
Months more like weeks. I can buy Albion for 30 bucks and never pay a subscription again, or black desert. Considering that, based on the market I wouldn't call uo cheap.

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think most of us will realize how much time we could've put into other things. We'll see how old we've gotten and begin yelling at kids to get off our lawns.

I personally hope it ends in the near future. I don't plan on quitting until the game shuts down, so I need them to do it for me. Hopefully I'd find another game or something that's subscription free to play with the friends I've made.
When they do close UO (or even before) you should try Legends of Aria. A few of the old dev team worked on it. I think most UO people would find it to be very welcoming.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea but Albion is garbage.
I am not arguing how good the game is compared to UO, I am comparing the value based on actual content. A lot of old uo players play Albion and compare it to early UO in some sort of way, maybe because it is a true risk-reward system. Either way, the amount of content we receive compared to years past is fractional. When we do get content its bug ridden or its half assed, a good example is Doom. Mesanna pumped it up to be something huge, for 1 artifact that is usable. I mean give me 3-4 hours I could come up with a complete (ALL) artifact list that are upgrades and usable. Don't worry tho, they will throw Doom another bone in 3 years, that's the typical cycle for Broadsword.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly, I thought it was very unlikely and awesome how UO survived Mythic's axing few years back. DAOC's survival being even more incredible I guess; afaik it remains a pretty normal sub based game? Player has one account, one monthly fee. Where as UO makes absolutely obscene amounts of money from many of it's players. Multiple accounts, store-items..and so on. UO might not make huge amounts of money relatively speaking, but I'm certain it's profit margins are through the roof.

I sometimes wonder what happens when the current devs retire though.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm guessing that if Bonnie/Misk (I put them together since if one quit/retired/got fired I doubt the other would keep going) gave up the ghost Bleak or Kyronix would be next in line... worst case scenario Dentin would take both on... but that would suck for UO since it's been more than obvious from day 1 he doesn't care about it. Bonnie though seems to be a "fer lifer" so I'm not too worried... though she is about the same age maybe a wee bit older than I am. Give her 12 to 15 years...

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well
1. EA already was paying for the Broadsword crew.. they were employees of EA before Mythic was dissolved.
2. EA will never sell the UO property, EA has a thing on never letting go of a title. EVER
3.In any case there is nothing that can be done if EA has made up its collective mind to close a game it owns.
If you haven't noticed they don't care.
The Broadsword team has worked their tails off to keep us online.
You may call me a Dev cheerleader but if not for the hard work they have put in how do you think we have been gaining new and returning players?
The hard work and real love of what they do.
A good old friend I have known sense 98 quit. Took all his homes he still had control over down and packed up and left.
EA was so rude and ambivalent to his plight that a good handful of his accounts were closed down over an Email.
No clue his homes were going down till a friend saw him and asked him to check his billing as he was about to loose them.
EA gave him the run around. Broadsword was able to get a few back and save the accounts.. I'm still not sure if he was hacked or no.
Quitting for ideals is not a good thing to make a point.. nor is yelling at them when they have no idea why.
EA is the clueless empty head at the other side of the phone.. they do not listen nor want to..
Meaning the idea of why your angry. Anger gets us no where.
EA is our enemy not the dev or broadsword.
Quitting is not the answer.
It's what they want.
How better to close something they gave control of by way of production.. we make $ EA lets us alone.
Peve off EA, play UO.

kalexpor

Adventurer
------- first sentence was deletet ---------------
ultima online is the best game in the world.
EA, ofcourse, does know it.
so, EA, ofcourse, respects Broadsword dev team.
ultima-online and EA and Broadsword will last forever.

Last edited:

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EA, ofcourse, does know it.
so, EA, ofcourse, respects Broadsword dev team.
ultima-online and EA and Broadsword will last forever.
Ill have some of whatever you are smoking. The first sentence I agree with . The rest is .....well....

Aeyko

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
@Mesanna

If this is ever in consideration, I'd like the opportunity to purchase the rights to OSI. That is, IF it ever gets to this point. You saw it here first.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Mesanna

If this is ever in consideration, I'd like the opportunity to purchase the rights to OSI. That is, IF it ever gets to this point. You saw it here first.
Broadsword and Mesanna are only subcontractors for EA, they've pretty much always owned the rights to UO. If EA would ever decide to close UO I doubt they would ever sell those rights and even if they did the price tag would be in the millions, sadly a freeshard would be our one option then :(

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
UO shouldn't be in any danger. As far as I know Broadsword is an independent studio that only pays royalties to EA now. Although it appears that EA is still calling some of the shots or we would have seen UO in Steam by now, instead of Orificial Origin...