• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What's the best way to get iron ore these days?

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Any particular tips or just good old mining around?

Maybe killing Iron Beetles?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
  1. Mining with a fire Beetle - but, since they are 1 slot now (older ones can be lowered by releasing and retaming, as anyone can retame their former pet) you could take a FB and an Iron Beetle out together.
  2. for ingots - make a run through Ilshenar looking for the random gypsy camps (not the permanent ones). Locations include 3-4 spots along the road from behind the Inn at Oaks to just past the Meer heading toward healers, the (very dangerous) docks at justice (that have about 8 water eles there), the clearing south of Mistas (Juka) bridge, the clearing in the middle of the jungle, and the clearing between Honor and the Humility spawn. When they are freshly spawned, the iron worker NPC has ingots starting at 8 GP each.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe that you may get slightly more iron ore using a human character versus an elf character.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I believe that you may get slightly more iron ore using a human character versus an elf character.
I did think about that when I created the character, but I was more interested in getting more colored ore and stuff from the threes other than wood.
I the meantime I've been told the nomad gypsy camps in Ilshenar are good to get cheap ingots, so...