• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

multi boxing EM Event end - YES!!

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. If you banned people that multi client, you would lose most of our players. In this day and age, most of the players you see have multiple accounts and they certainly should be able to use them. For instance at times we will have a guild hunt and I or one of our members will often have a separate account crafter on to repair suits etc, saves time and is convenient and has no game changing advantage benefit whatsoever on anyone except for the time saved.
I agree, and really don't care if some uses more than one account, but with all the extra chars being used, causes many problems and pisses people off, especially at events. I'm just saying if people are to use more than one char, they need to actually control all of them. not follow, use buffs ect... not sit back until boss spawns, not be allowed to gate their multi chars in. u hear about all the lag or crashes or can get bar ect... if everyone used one char, would help solve so much. people are quitting because of this. that's all. I wont get into the farming aspects

Last edited:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just drop the CC support with EJ...make it an EC only. Let's be honest here folks, no one is multi boxing on the EC at EM events. This is such an easy fix, 90% of the people who say they would quit if the CC was discontinued are lying.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
In regard to the IP I was replying to someone else that speculated about IPs. Some of the private scripts get very complex in what and how they do things, I would wager you could not tell some of them from a legit player, now chain those together and it will be very difficult to say the person running those more advanced scripts than you will find in any PSL is real or fake. I believe it was that M lady in some meet and greet that said it was either undectable or very hard to detect............. So which part did I DELIBERATELY MISREPRESENT?
Multi-boxing has nothing to do with scripts. They are two very different things. Which is why I think the Dev team ignores a lot of reports and why the players get frustrated things aren't happening. You all are mislabeling what you're seeing.

I believe a lot of people legitimately ATTENDED script to train skills.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just drop the CC support with EJ...make it an EC only. Let's be honest here folks, no one is multi boxing on the EC at EM events. This is such an easy fix, 90% of the people who say they would quit if the CC was discontinued are lying.
See? You're confusing it with scripting too. You can multi-box EC, WoW, Red Dead Redemption, or any other current game if your computer/computers have the power.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be easier to disable following requiring players to actively control each and every character. Forcing everyone to learn a new client "just because" is most certainly not a good reason to drop support of the CC.

If you stub a toe, you don't cut off the foot. The same logic applies to your argument.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Multi-boxing has nothing to do with scripts. They are two very different things. Which is why I think the Dev team ignores a lot of reports and why the players get frustrated things aren't happening. You all are mislabeling what you're seeing.

I believe a lot of people legitimately ATTENDED script to train skills.
My question is, why try to mislead through obfuscation? You aren't clarifying anything, so what is the exact point you are trying to make? Are you just attempting to smokescreen the issue in its entirety?

People might not fully understand or grasp the specifics, but do you really think just telling them they a flat out wrong is the best way to explain the issue at hand? Regardless, I think they understand the problem as it exists now, and are doing their best to add to the discussion in a positive fashion.

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I believe a lot of people legitimately ATTENDED script to train skills.[/QUOTE

Actually there is no such thing as legit scripting attended or otherwise due to the use of illegal 3rd party programs being involved. As far as scripts having nothing to do with multiboxing you are quite wrong in that unless you are only speaking in terms that cover the most popular method of doing it. You do realize there are multiple ways to skin a cat?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be easier to disable following requiring players to actively control each and every character. Forcing everyone to learn a new client "just because" is most certainly not a good reason to drop support of the CC.

If you stub a toe, you don't cut off the foot. The same logic applies to your argument.
Following would only break script methods of multiboxing. It would not break the method most popular. That is a whole different critter.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Following would only break script methods of multiboxing. It would not break the method most popular. That is a whole different critter.
My point was, if you disable the following command, you make it easier to ascertain who is doing something they shouldn't be doing and leave less wiggle room for a suspected multiboxer to con his/her way out of being caught red handed. This isn't an opinion, this is fact.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
See? You're confusing it with scripting too. You can multi-box EC, WoW, Red Dead Redemption, or any other current game if your computer/computers have the power.
No, that's multi clienting. Multi boxing should never have been called that, it should have been called Multi Zombie'ing.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're kidding right? Did you not just see the last poll I mean CC is the overwhelming majority and people are looking for a reason to quit uo, just give them a good reason. EC is just down right terrible, it doesn't resemble uo in the slightest.
You seem to be well versed on the in's and out's of multiboxing, I wonder why that is....
Do you have an accusation or you just going to beat around the bush? If you don't please just keep your mouth closed =] instead of trying to imply something.
Cant wait till they ban the ones who have been abusing this for few years now. Already seeing a few people sweat in this thread lol. I love it.
Lineman 3 years ago you were crying because you couldn't get drops because you're terrible at this game, so Mesanna changed the drop system. Now you're back crying about the SYSTEM you cried for even though multiple people tried to warn you how players would abuse it. Those same players that beat you in top damager, beat you in this system, and will continue to outsmart you EJ. No one is going to sweat, everyone knows Mesanna isn't going to ban anyone.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, that's multi clienting. Multi boxing should never have been called that, it should have been called Multi Zombie'ing.
I hate to say it, but he was right, you can multibox with the EC, people just don't generally do it due to the extra load put on both the cpu and gpu. Multiclienting just involves logging in with multiple clients, multiboxing on the other hand involves controlling multiple clients with the same keystrokes at the same time. You don't have to perform the same action at the same time, just the same keystrokes. I suggest reading up on it if you need more clarification.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@skittles1337, you do realize that Lineman, Manticore, and myself were three of the original event goers/collectors? None of us used cheats to get ahead in this game, and we always respected our fellow legitimate collectors, event goers, and EMs. If you don't like what we have to say, perhaps there is some truth behind the words we use? Case in point, Lineman never even mentioned you or anyone else by name...*facepalm*

See you in game *friend*, or maybe I won't. Time will tell no?

Last edited:

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're kidding right? Did you not just see the last poll I mean CC is the overwhelming majority and people are looking for a reason to quit uo, just give them a good reason. EC is just down right terrible, it doesn't resemble uo in the slightest.

Do you have an accusation or you just going to beat around the bush? If you don't please just keep your mouth closed =] instead of trying to imply something.

Lineman 3 years ago you were crying because you couldn't get drops because you're terrible at this game, so Mesanna changed the drop system. Now you're back crying about the SYSTEM you cried for even though multiple people tried to warn you how players would abuse it. Those same players that beat you in top damager, beat you in this system, and will continue to outsmart you EJ. No one is going to sweat, everyone knows Mesanna isn't going to ban anyone.
Your already sweating lol. All worked up right out of the gate. I am glad I can bring it out of you.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your already sweating lol. All worked up right out of the gate. I am glad I can bring it out of you.
Sweating look at my past posts, I've pushed hard for them to close the entire EM program lol.
@skittles1337, you do realize that Lineman, Manticore, and myself were three of the original event goers/collectors? None of us used cheats to get ahead in this game, and we always respected our fellow legitimate collectors, event goers, and EMs. If you don't like what we have to say, perhaps there is some truth behind the words we use? Case in point, Lineman never even mentioned you or anyone else by name...*facepalm*

See you in game *friend*, or maybe I won't. Time will tell no?
I have a single account, I login once in a while so you won't. Honestly, I don't care who you are... you collect shiny things in a video game (So Cool!)! Lineman is one of the main reasons why we have multiboxers, so defend him all you want.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sweating look at my past posts, I've pushed hard for them to close the entire EM program lol.

I have a single account, I login once in a while so you won't. Honestly, I don't care who you are... you collect shiny things in a video game (So Cool!)! Lineman is one of the main reasons why we have multiboxers, so defend him all you want.
If you didnt take issue, you wouldn't respond the way you did. Second, I was simply stating who I was to give you some idea of who you were talking to. Third, the reason we have multiboxers is due to greed, nothing else...don't try to smokescreen the situation by blaming Lineman as he has nothing to do with the current state of the game.

One a side note, I don't believe any of the strings of text you post...but keep trying, someday you might just convince yourself!

*tips hat*

Good day to you friend.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
See? Ignorance all around. Even when someone flat out tells you they multiboxed before people still insist they know better.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cant wait till they ban the ones who have been abusing this for few years now. Already seeing a few people sweat in this thread lol. I love it.
Be careful what you wish for. Banned accounts equate to lost revenue. UO can I'll afford to lose revenue.

Olcher

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Be careful what you wish for. Banned accounts equate to lost revenue. UO can I'll afford to lose revenue.
If UO can't survive without lost multiboxer subscriptions then it deserves to die. It's a moot point anyways as, without going in to details, I have been told most of these multibox players don't support Broadsword/UO with monthly subscription revenue. Their accounts will be of absolutely no loss to the game whatsoever. Good riddance.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If UO can't survive without lost multiboxer subscriptions then it deserves to die. It's a moot point anyways as, without going in to details, I have been told most of these multibox players don't support Broadsword/UO with monthly subscription revenue. Their accounts will be of absolutely no loss to the game whatsoever. Good riddance.
How can you not be supporting the game with revenue if you are using multiple accounts? I don't believe for one second that these accounts are trial accounts.

lineman

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes but there are really only a select few who are abusing it. I know allot of people who play multiple toons on separate windows and Alt Tab between them, but there manually controlling each toon. Its the ones that are stacked on top of each other six plus deep with glaives flying that look like a machine gun all being controlled from the same key stroke that are the problem. Very easy to detect and ban. You will lose some accounts but will get a few that come back once they know they are starting to listen and take action.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i have to disagree. anyone whos kept up on how most those accounts were "paid" knows that broadsword wasnt making any, or at least much from them. not a topic for stratics tho. Realistically, and without knowing the ins and outs of how payments are handled, the company could have actually been losing money in the end from those codes.

Last edited:

lineman

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya I may have been ONE of the many voices years ago against the drop system but please dont blame me for multiboxing. The new system would have been working as intended but a few chose to find the flaw in it and manipulate it with third party key mirroring programs.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IMO if Broadsword was seen taking steps and measures to level the playing field and make things more "fair" by getting rid of these cheating sobs... then I'm fairly certain it would see a RISE in players rather than a loss... As folk who have long been fed up with cheaters may return though I have a feeling for many it may be too little too late.

Funny thing about those who've quit because of stuff like this... their loathing for UO may run far too deep... coming back they would probably just see more cheating and quit again in anger and frustration never to return.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
See? Ignorance all around. Even when someone flat out tells you they multiboxed before people still insist they know better.
I used it before in other MMOs where it was legal and have a fairly solid grasp of how it works. Again, what good does it do calling people ignorant if you aren't willing to explain what they are getting wrong. It takes a person the same amount of time posting blatant nothingburgers as it does adding light to the conversation.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I disagree. If 10 people with 10 accounts get banned, there is a high degree of probability double that return. It has happened in many games in the past, including UO. Just look back at the house burning back in the day as reference, after that happened there were a lot of people who returned due to a firm stance on people that cheat.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My only quibble is: why wait?

Why not go ahead and do it now, get the worst of it out of the game for when they start trying to attract new and returning players with EJ? This isn't a new phenomenon.
Because, in general, people are paying for those accounts. Once EJ comes out, they could just be multiboxing EJ accounts.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because, in general, people are paying for those accounts. Once EJ comes out, they could just be multiboxing EJ accounts.
Spot on. If EJ wasn't coming along they simply wouldn't touch multi-boxing. EJ would allow multi-boxers to ply there trade for free. The crack down isn't in the interests of fairness or upholding the rules, it's a by product of the EJ.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am wondering if the delay in enforcement is tied into the renewal of Broadsword's contract with EA. I have read now several times that there is a rumor that the contract is up for renewal in November. Perhaps under a new contract, Broadsword will be receiving more money from EA for enforcement purposes once the Endless Journey publish goes live. If so, that might explain why the enforcement against multi-boxing is going to wait until Endless Journey happens.
According to Kyronix, the rumor that Broadsword's contract expires next month is false. He personally debunked it during the party. So we don't have to worry about EA's Sword of Damocles falling on us...right now.

*sets fire to this ridiculous, easily disproven straw man*

Multiboxers aren't using autofollow to move their characters, its FAR too clumsy/dumb/slow. Hell, most scripts don't even use it, they use pre-set rails. Multiboxers rely on software to replicate keyboard/mouse commands (including movement) to their cadre of scum. Unless you're still living in 2002 and use one of Mesanna's phantom KVM switches... :rolleyes2:

Removing autofollow would just further alienate the RP community.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*sets fire to this ridiculous, easily disproven straw man*

Multiboxers aren't using autofollow to move their characters, its FAR too clumsy/dumb/slow. Hell, most scripts don't even use it, they use pre-set rails. Multiboxers rely on software to replicate keyboard/mouse commands (including movement) to their cadre of scum. Unless you're still living in 2002 and use one of Mesanna's phantom KVM switches... :rolleyes2:

Removing autofollow would just further alienate the RP community.
Apologies for not being up to speed. The last time I used the program was around 10 years ago in another MMO. At that time I could set up formations for characters and as you mentioned could indeed replicate mouse movement. Since I myself never used it in UO, I am not 100% versed in what functionality the programs have in UO itself.

I still feel that disabling following would help to facilitate the process of removing accounts that do indeed multibox, as it would help staff more easily discern which players (visually) are indeed using programs to cheat, and not trying to ban people wrongly that do not. Not only that, it would curb scripting IDOCers using multiple free accounts to ruin opportunities for legit players looking to place a home rather than just putting RL money in the bank.

Regarding RP, every solution to a problem that involves more than 100 people will always leave at least one party upset with the results, I apologize if this is any way alienates you, but it does help curb multiple birds with one stone if it were implemented.

I know you are a legit player, hopefully a solution could be reached that would not impede your ability to have fun in a game you truly enjoy.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Apologies for not being up to speed. The last time I used the program was around 10 years ago in another MMO. At that time I could set up formations for characters and as you mentioned could indeed replicate mouse movement. Since I myself never used it in UO, I am not 100% versed in what functionality the programs have in UO itself.

I still feel that disabling following would help to facilitate the process of removing accounts that do indeed multibox, as it would help staff more easily discern which players (visually) are indeed using programs to cheat, and not trying to ban people wrongly that do not. Not only that, it would curb scripting IDOCers using multiple free accounts to ruin opportunities for legit players looking to place a home rather than just putting RL money in the bank.

Regarding RP, every solution to a problem that involves more than 100 people will always leave at least one party upset with the results, I apologize if this is any way alienates you, but it does help curb multiple birds with one stone if it were implemented.

I know you are a legit player, hopefully a solution could be reached that would not impede your ability to have fun in a game you truly enjoy.
You might want to read up on the various cheat programs, being able to notice who is using them can be eye opening (both good and bad).

But as far as the true, evil multiboxers are concerned, the CC's autofollow is useless. If you watch the well known multiboxers, you can see that their characters follow way to closely/quickly (and stand on top of each other) to be autofollow. Autofollow usually, though not always, won't pile followers up into the same tile as the leader. The automation software they use has much better lag compensating abilities.

RPers use autofollow when having to play too many characters at once to enact whatever storyline they're trying to do. It works, though usually with comical results (repeatedly walking drunk-acting followers into walls, doors, drees, or death) :p

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

The "program" isn't in UO. To UO it's just another key input. The only detection is behavior and logs of actual legit actions in game. That's not saying it's hard, it's just saying it's not UO related. All it does is send the same keystroke to multiple applications. The applications react normally.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
there are afew that use multi chars for pvp. most use in defense. I don't think I can use the chars name here but he/she uses 3 to 5 archers/thrower in wraith form, with the same name, hidden in stealth. all armor ignore at once and insta kill u then all hide at once. kind of funny to watch. seen him/her kill 13 people then left. doesn't stay long. some of u may know of this person/char.