• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Back to UO

Mallyna

Visitor
So, I've just opened a new Europa account after being away for a long time. Nice to be back in a way, but impossible to progress - I can't buy any spells higher than level 4 an all the private vendors I've checked have no stock. The place seems deserted.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Not sure about Europa... But ask in chat for spells. Someone will give you one for free usually. Welcome back and good luck

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I play on Europa from time to time, usually online activity is roughly 10-15, on weekend around 30 40 max (that's just me assuming from activity around Luna).

no one is selling full mage magebook? try and use global I even have a spare.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, I've just opened a new Europa account after being away for a long time. Nice to be back in a way, but impossible to progress - I can't buy any spells higher than level 4 an all the private vendors I've checked have no stock. The place seems deserted.
Welcome back. Most shards are like this nowadays. The most crowded place would be Atlantic, but prices are also the steepest there. Given the like 6 hour difference from Europe to the US east coast, Atlantic can also suck if you want to participate in events, while that wouldn't be an issue on Europa. Of course you can also try both, but that's never been my pair of shoes..

Also, what @ShriNayne said ;)

Last edited:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Without sounding negative......yeah i know, stop laughing.
You if your on a new account, you might want to check out Atlantic, that's the most populated shard now. Europa can get quite "lonely" at times and hard to find items.

Disclaimer: I play on Europa but also know how hard it can be to but basic items now that most shops have sold out and moved on.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Nice to be back in a way, but impossible to progress - I can't buy any spells higher than level 4
Welcome back :). I personally tried to full up my glacial spell book a few months back on Atlantic and it took me like 2 weeks to get all the scrolls up to level 8... shard is part of the problem but also most people aren`t adding these higher scrolls (Level 7-8) to their vendors anymore :(

Mallyna

Visitor
Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. It's a bit sad to see everything so empty when I remember what it used to be like. It still feels like coming home, though.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It was nice to see you at the meeting :)
You don't see so many people around because the population is so spread out, we have more lands now.
After Haven was destroyed people stopped going there so much.
Brit bank is no longer the hub for bank sitters, Luna has more traffic now.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ill follow the crowd. Come to LS and make a tamer. We will help ya. And give you a full spellbook.

Thats why you cant find individual spells. Everyone already has full books. Vendor charges dont allow cheap stuff to sit on vendors and make a profit.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The cause of this problem has been explained here many many times, for the slow shards. There are several of us, who, if we could without having to lose money on VENDOR FEES would stock vendors with sets of scrolls, (mage necro mystic SW) recall scrolls, furniture, plants, odds and ends that are often useful (butcher's war cleaver, for example). but it dampens the enthusiasm to stock and watch the vendor suck up all the gold in fees because the goods aren't turning fast enough to keep up his maintenance. These are all slow moving, yet very useful (when needed!) items.

But the powers-that-be, plus the platinumaires, won't go for any change on the fees (such as a set 10% fee once, when the item sells).

So this is what you end up with, empty vendors, and no low end stuff hardly

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Whilst true, thats a bit misleading. Yes people are more spread out, but the major reason you dont see many people around is because there arent that many.
You are not wrong, the population has declined a lot, I know Europa is not the least populated shard, but it's not Atlantic either. Since coming back last year my husband and I found an active guild, made lots of friends and have been really enjoying all the content we had missed since we left in 2008. We made an effort to seek out other people and it payed off, maybe it's just a case of getting back what you put in!

OP The RAA guild shop is pretty well stocked, vendor search is also very useful. I did notice nobody seems to sell filled spellbooks, but I'm sure if asked one of us would be happy to make a few. ;)

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are several of us, who, if we could without having to lose money on VENDOR FEES would stock vendors with sets of scrolls, (mage necro mystic SW) recall scrolls, furniture, plants, odds and ends that are often useful (butcher's war cleaver, for example). but it dampens the enthusiasm to stock and watch the vendor suck up all the gold in fees because the goods aren't turning fast enough to keep up his maintenance. These are all slow moving, yet very useful (when needed!
I just had a thought about vendor fees and this probably isn't the correct thread for it but here it goes. What if player crafted items like you mentioned above were at a lower rate or no rate at all? It would be a nice boost to the crafters of the game that don't ever sell anything because we end up losing money!

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just had a thought about vendor fees and this probably isn't the correct thread for it but here it goes. What if player crafted items like you mentioned above were at a lower rate or no rate at all? It would be a nice boost to the crafters of the game that don't ever sell anything because we end up losing money!
Well, you know, anything!! even charging fees, a set fee at time of sale, would be okay...If I know going in that the fee is 10% and I want 800 gps for a bag of circle 8 scrolls, I kknow up front I need to charge 880 gps for that bag...and it won't make a diff if it sells in one day or sits for 6 months.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bad luck if there wasnt a full runebook at RAA or New Player House on Europa. Anyhow Mallyna showed up at the bank meet and have full scrapper and a good training suit and crystal ball of knowledge now. And hopefully some new knowledge;).

Abyss-

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Write me an icq message, I can help you with gear or whatever on Europa. I even got a transfer-shield so I can bring stuff over from ATL to Europa for you if needed

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not impossible to progress. You can buy 1-4 from npc. Then find a corrupted crystal portal to recall to Deceit dungeon level 1 you will find crates that will spawn the rest of the scrolls randomly (thru 8th circle). Just use unlock and then use telekinesis to pop the traps on the crates. Other dungeons also have crates.

Another way is to use spells like fireball, poison and lightning and kill some orc mages or ratman mages. They can carry spell up to 7th circle.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You can get many both mage and necro scrolls killing Deathwatch Beetle's and Hatchlings in the Waste outside Zento...

And massacring nightmares I've filled up 51 spells over the last couple weeks.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A big point made in this thread - due to the low shard populations outside of Atlantic, I do agree it is possibly time to remove Vendor Fees.
We would stock more if they were gone now, as it is, turnaround is so low, you can lose more than you gain, especially putting up low value stuff that new players would like.

A combination of a lower population, a very developed population who usually don't need this stuff, or can source everything they need, and vendor fee's means, yes this is the situation on Europa.

If you had wanted to farm them, Balrons drop lvl 4-7, and the Tentacles of Khaldun drop lvl 8 scrolls.
It is possible to fairly easily farm your own book.

I don't know if you asked in general chat, but I could have given you whatever you needed, as could many, the server is usually busier from 18:00gmt to 22:00gmt.
For many of us, Europa is quiet, but we have our guilds online and active, so we don't need to do much outside of our guilds.

I personally would not recommend Atlantic - for a Europa player it is basically the raucaus market shard, people go to and from for items/resources basically, but playing there would do your head in. Mob spots are crowded, the most greedy players in the game have moved there, as have all the worst style of pvpers, which is good, they are all grouped in one place, and the players with a better attitude can have more fun on their home shards.
I play on Europa and Atlantic, they do have various strengths, playing on Europa, and treating Atlantic as a market shard is the way to go.

Phantasmagorian

Sage
Supporter
I personally wish more people would play on Atlantic than on semi-dead shards. I also even think the semi-dead shards should be closed, and be a "housing only" thing. Perhaps global vendor search. I am pretty sure some will want to lynch me here for saying these things. :)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I wouldn't play on Atlantic if you paid me! Europa is far from dead or semi-dead, you do understand the ping to Atlantic would make playing almost impossible at peak times for some people!?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I personally wish more people would play on Atlantic than on semi-dead shards. I also even think the semi-dead shards should be closed, and be a "housing only" thing. Perhaps global vendor search. I am pretty sure some will want to lynch me here for saying these things. :)
We could always just shut down atlantic. That would increase the population on other shards!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I would point out that on some shards, there are still active new player centers where they don't have stuff on vendors, but you just go into the house and take what you need from the donation chests.

On LA, we have most of the spell books, lots of gear (even 100% elemental weapons), etc. One of the more annoying items are trying to stock SW scrolls (I swear, from the way others talk, LA must have 1% the SW scroll drop rate of the other shards, for mobs other than peerless bosses).

I dropped off 1600 scrolls at the player center (all levels 4-7) just a couple weeks ago from fishing (I did 199 SOS over 2 weeks), so that the scribes associated with it could avoid that part of the grunt work. I also tend to collect 100+ armor loot items at a time (things with over 50 resist that can be enhanced), try to enhance them, and the survivors all get donated as well (along with stuff that has 80+ resists that are brittle or antique, that don't work with my characters). Since so little was being sold at less than ludicrous prices on our shard, we started giving stuff away.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Problem that I see is that everyone has been blinded and buffaloed into believing that Atlantic ought to be where they do business... suppose that's marketing by the racketeers... you all fell for it over the years...

I've never given a rats about vendoring... I hate it. Never had an actual vendor never will...

But everyone thinks that Alt is "the bomb" when it comes to everything and thats because they have forced it to be that way... with shard shields and transfers... Once upon a time many shards were far better as far as business goes... GLs had a booming economy... so did several other shards until the greedy from Atl started coming and buying up all the stuff and taking it to Atl... where they would price things how they saw fit... sometimes lower than anywhere else so they could attract buyers... soon as the "norm" was established all all you sheeple started flocking there to buy things they had you all... They even got you flocking to them to get a vendor... they now have YOU bringing them everything they could desire.

Now commerce on other shards is fairly well dead how can they compete?

They can by stopping it. Stopping taking all their stuff to Atl... if Atl wants your stuff make them pay for it... Make THEM come to YOU... or be a sheeple.

You all believe that Atl is "the" place to buy and sell... well in this day of Shard shields there are SEVERAL out there with shields everywhere... if you make your shard a vendor haven it will be... If you have good items and price them reasonably people WILL come buy them... And if they end up marked up on Atl well they can keep the vendor fees... because if you do it right.... commerce will return to your shard... many shards have a healthy active population... but because they are all brainwashed into the whole Atl is it thing... you wouldn't know it.

I'd rather get things for myself than go buy something that I ought to be able to get on my home shard on Atl... and I'm not alone. If someone sold their wares on GLs I'd buy it on GLs...

Zero

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've returned to Europe for a month now. I've found a lot of people in a lot of places doing a lot of different things. I have no fears about Europa being empty now. Besides, if you are returning to a 20 years old game that is still being played, many others will too. And then they'll quit. And come back again.

RAA is a very good shop. And Diablo's shop also sells spells to fill your own spellbook. If you've been away, you might have to get some new shoprunes, and use the vendor search option.