• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

sw/necro/mage suit

kze

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi.
I cant decide what would be better: stack +skill items to add anatomy and have defence while wearing a spellbook, or go with different parts and use mage weapon?

Its for pvm.
Skill items i was planning: midnight bracers, bloodwood spirit, mark of travesty, +45 on jewels

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I would ordinarily say Anatomy but as you are already spreading it quite thin with SW (unless you're only going 60 Necro that is) then I'd say use the -0 Mage Weapon wand and just switch to spellbooks when safe for slayer or extra sdi.

Reactions: kze

kze

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did a little research and 105necro 120ss should be good for skeletal dragons.
I will try to go with anatomy in template. Thanks.

Last edited:

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I think you can go with a spellbook without Anatomy... if you have a mage weapon in your backpack for special situations.

Reactions: kze

kze

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for replies.
I will drop anatomy and use mage wep once i get a little better

kze

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would ordinarily say Anatomy but as you are already spreading it quite thin with SW (unless you're only going 60 Necro that is) then I'd say use the -0 Mage Weapon wand and just switch to spellbooks when safe for slayer or extra sdi.
Never seen a -0 mage weapon wand..

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Good place to ask this question I guess..

I have never understood why folks run around with a -20 mage wep in PvM. They are losing out on at least 25sdi by doing so.. so why the need to carry one?

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Good place to ask this question I guess..

I have never understood why folks run around with a -20 mage wep in PvM. They are losing out on at least 25sdi by doing so.. so why the need to carry one?
Because SDI doesn't affect all spells, for example not using a Mage Weapon on a Necro while Withering spawn will just result in you fizzling all your spells or spending half your time healing (or both), using Protection isn't an option as you then make yourself too slow to cast and can easily get caught with repeatedly being Poisoned when trying to heal yourself.

Using books for SDI when casting spells that don't benefit from SDI, and leaving yourself open to more hits by not using melee defense is stupid.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Heck my goal as a spellcaster is to be far enough away from the things I am casting on to where I would never benefit from the wep. So I don't guess I would ever benefit from it. Thanks for the info :)

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Because SDI doesn't affect all spells, for example not using a Mage Weapon on a Necro while Withering spawn will just result in you fizzling all your spells or spending half your time healing (or both), using Protection isn't an option as you then make yourself too slow to cast and can easily get caught with repeatedly being Poisoned when trying to heal yourself.

Using books for SDI when casting spells that don't benefit from SDI, and leaving yourself open to more hits by not using melee defense is stupid.
I think you are referring to a slayer not effecting wither... SDI makes a difference for wither. I run my necro with a 30 sdi book and wither all the time with little issue. For most mobs that I use wither against, they are dead in a single hit anyway.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Heck my goal as a spellcaster is to be far enough away from the things I am casting on to where I would never benefit from the wep.
Sometimes you are not able to keep a distance from your target (for example, some fast bosses that switch agro every few seconds).
Sometimes you want to be close to your targets to damage more targets (for example, when you use wither).

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I think you are referring to a slayer not effecting wither... SDI makes a difference for wither. I run my necro with a 30 sdi book and wither all the time with little issue. For most mobs that I use wither against, they are dead in a single hit anyway.
Aye, sorry, slayers, not SDI.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I always go with books instead of weapons for my mages. Having a set of slayer scrappers, or other scrappers with different skills and mods... you can adjust to almost any scenario for whatever benefit you're looking for.