• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mystic Cu Sidhe

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cu Sidhe - Stratics Community Wiki | Stratics Community Forums

Not mine. This Cu was built with mysticism and AI. It works great. It will use all the mana in a long fight. It is a great all around pet. You could take this to champ spawns, Mel, Medusa, etc. If you use it for quick fights the mana will stay high until the GD or equivalent is dead. It requires minimum vetting in long fights.

They scrolled it up and skilled it so it would be a great single pet for those who plan on just maximizing one pet.

He said the best way to raise healing is to let it bandage itself out of poison.

Mystic Cu Sidhe.png

Night

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Scrolled Mystic Cu with single special (only) is my favourite all round, go anywhere pet. Very tanky and plenty of damage.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
Nice! I may give this a go on my disco tamer's Cu. I'm trying to find something that needs minimal to no healing on most things as I tend to play with the build a bit and possibly try out a disco spell weave tamer.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does it go into stone form? What's the benefit of having mystic?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Are you guys preferring Mystic on your Cu's to Spellweaving or Chivalry?

I haven't tried Mysticism on any of my Cu's yet. I already have a Chiv Cu and a SW Cu, and I was planning on doing a Disco Cu next.. but I could consider Mystic as well if the results were good.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just curious with sw and chic, has anyone found the pet spamming small spells when out of Mana and not using Ai? I haven't used sw or chiv yet so just curious of it was worthwhile

I like the mystic cu but haven't used it for pvm :/

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
with mystic on them then use a a good mix of healing, aoe , single target and will cast sleep on mass mobs if they are zerged.. its a good damage build that makes them extra tanky// I wish they still cast RC like they did on test for a time.. hehe.. but alas ... =^-^=

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
Trying to decide if I want to replace magery with mysticism or chiv on a phoenix. I wish they could learn necromancy or necromage, but they can't. :( Something about Magery... it feels so "standard" and "bland" after the last update, but also feels like such a waste to replace it with a new magic ability for 501 points.

Do pets use Ethereal Blast if trained in Mage Mastery?

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Are you guys preferring Mystic on your Cu's to Spellweaving or Chivalry?

I haven't tried Mysticism on any of my Cu's yet. I already have a Chiv Cu and a SW Cu, and I was planning on doing a Disco Cu next.. but I could consider Mystic as well if the results were good.
Which do you like better, the Chiv or SW Cu?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Which do you like better, the Chiv or SW Cu?
I've been so busy training multiple pets I haven't had much of a sample size to compare them on the same encounters. I would lean chivalry for now, but that's also because my main tamer already has SW on the template. Both beasts are pretty incredible though... I will post up some screen shots once I can get all skills to 120 (Healing is taking a year and a day....).

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Discord CU, command it to stop, stay and spam poison spell on it. With whispering you done in less than a week.
Yup, been doing just that. Gains seems especially slow after GM though... after I hit 105 healing, I was getting only .2 or .3 new healing points for every 10 minutes of whispering. I'm only up to 108 currently on one Cu and 106 on another.

Does it matter that I don't have poisoning on the template I am using to disco and poison with? Would that make a difference here?

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
While I have a Chiv Cu I really like, some points still remain that make me unhappy.

Chivalry is a highly reactive school of magic, you judge by observing the fight and cast what fits or is necessary. Pet AI can't do that, your Cu will randomly switch EoO on and off and waste mana on stamina refresh even tho it's completely unnecessary. It'll purge itself even tho a bandage could do the same and there's no auto hits while cast animations run, so there's some amount of DPS loss.
On the upside though, Chiv does provide utility and survivability in the form of cure and heal and those spontaneous EoO buff casts do provide some additional damage, even though sometimes I'd rather have em switch it off.

Mysticism doesn't have that problem, same for SW. Both also provide heals and utility and both have single target and AOE damage potential.

My first Cu only has Life Steal, it's natural Bleed and Heal and it does the most constant damage out of all my doggies (They're all scrolled up the same). It can sustain high damage forever, whereas my AI and other special dogs run out of mana at some point. Only my Rune Beetle does more dmg, but the Cu has the superior tank and is the allround pet for when I want to farm.

How do I measure performance? I run a marathon session at Sphinx and jot down TTK.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Merlin, I always work the healing on a Cu first with the disco/poison trick using both my accounts. I believe pets are exactly like our toons, and the more skill points they have, the slower they gain to a point. It took me about 6 hours to raise my Cu from GM to Legendary healing, and then I went and worked the rest of the skills. I wish Chiv would raise faster though, so I could finish this pup!

Anne

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a noobie question .... If you scroll up a cu does it go to 5 slots and then you can't ride it anymore ? or does it still stay rideable?

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
Tried a similar build to this with one of my Cu's and its nice! Really love when it gets surrounded and uses AoE sleep. haha

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
As a brief update to my other post regarding healing...
Finally got my main Cu up to 120 healing so that I could finish his training. After getting past the 105 level... stoning on 100 Poisoning to the second toon which I had doing the disco really helped push the gains. High level poisons + Disco seemed to be the only way to get it to move in big amounts rather than dribs and drabs of .1 gains after getting past GM. Probably won't do much more than 100 Healing on future Cu's though...

Separate question for the OP - @Pawain - do you feel this Cu does fine with only the 600 hit points?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Finally got my main Cu up to 120 healing so that I could finish his training. After getting past the 105 level... stoning on 100 Poisoning to the second toon which I had doing the disco really helped push the gains. High level poisons + Disco seemed to be the only way to get it to move in big amounts rather than dribs and drabs of .1 gains after getting past GM. Probably won't do much more than 100 Healing on future Cu's though...

Separate question for the OP - @Pawain - do you feel this Cu does fine with only the 600 hit points?
Blues owner is a really good vetter. The HP regen and 120 Parry really help. Theres a few others experimenting with 600 HP on their new makes.

This fully skilled dog makes it work better. His healing is 120 now. Did it with an alt poisoning and disco.

Mysticism has healing and cure when it feels threatened.

jhmills1981

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Noobie question: Did this Cu gain parrying just from adding a 120 scroll? Or did it gain parrying some other way?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Noobie question: Did this Cu gain parrying just from adding a 120 scroll? Or did it gain parrying some other way?

They gain it the same way they gain wrestling. By fighting.

Parry wont be visible until wrestling is 100. But it is there and gains.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They gain it the same way they gain wrestling. By fighting.

Parry wont be visible until wrestling is 100. But it is there and gains.
^_^

and be carefull

Just a little warning on some pets you can not scroll up parry till wrestling is 100 or more (if you do not have any visible points in parry it does not show up on the combat scroll menu ). On one pet I used up all my points before i realized i hadn't used my 115 parry scroll (since it was not on menu).

Now I never use up all my points (i keep enough points to scroll up all skills to 120 when i get the scrolls - remember I play mainly on Siege and scrolls are not plentifull).

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

120 healing must take forever...I can't get my Cu's 90.4 healing to budge getting poisoned by Rotting Corpses...(but then I suppose I could discord my Cu and do this and that...just kind of annoyed there is no better "natural" way to gain skills and that we are encouraged to grind rather than play the game)

kazeandi

Adventurer
Sitting there disco/poisoning your pet reeks of macroing.
Of course you did it by hand, being an upstanding citizen, amirite. But others might not have the superhuman, zen-like patience to do 500.000 clicks over 50 hours.

I too think that Cu healing gain needs to be a bit easier to raise by normal playing. Then I don't have to do unspeakable deeds to max my pet. Like my big sister's boss's brother's neighbor's uncle, who "plays" (macro program) instead of UO while watching netflix. Carpal tunnel is so 1998.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As long as you aren't using an illegal 3rd party program and you are attended you can macro to your hearts content.

As far as I'm concerned with the modern keyboards and keypads like the G-13 or the N52 or whatever anyone can set up a looping macro heck even a Microsoft Keyboard can do it.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hehehehe - thinks back to using a dime wedged into the keyboard!
I think I used a penny :p

I made a macro to keep my red going and I would sit there and do things while I watched to screen, no lie lol...going blue used to take forever.

fusionx86

Visitor
Hello. I'm getting back into UO after a couple years break and would like to build a nice mystic cu. I'm wondering what you guys consider to be the minimum base stats or pet power of a cu to invest that much gold and time in. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hello. I'm getting back into UO after a couple years break and would like to build a nice mystic cu. I'm wondering what you guys consider to be the minimum base stats or pet power of a cu to invest that much gold and time in. Thanks.
There is a basic template on this link that has points to spare.

Put all the scrolls you want on first. I would go with 800HP 600Mana. Toss in some stamina regen in case they change something. You cant put parry scroll on until wrestling is 100.

Put the magic skill on LAST! Put an area effect on first if you want one. Armor ignore will not fail you.

Generic Starter Template For Cu like pets.

fusionx86

Visitor
Thanks @Pawain! I read through the guide you posted and all the comments. That is all new info to me and very useful while I train. However, I'm still unsure how good a fresh tamed cu should be to be worth the investment. Does the power of the fresh tamed cu matter? I've been taming for a couple days to get something above pet power 4. Should I just pick my favorite cu and go for it?

Last edited:

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pet power isn't really an issue any more, my only requirements for a fresh tame cu are cold and energy resists both below 75.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a basic template on this link that has points to spare.

Put all the scrolls you want on first. I would go with 800HP 600Mana. Toss in some stamina regen in case they change something. You cant put parry scroll on until wrestling is 100.

Put the magic skill on LAST! Put an area effect on first if you want one. Armor ignore will not fail you.

Generic Starter Template For Cu like pets.
Why do you put the scrolls on first? Seems like it could be expensive if you make a mistake further down the line.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why do you put the scrolls on first? Seems like it could be expensive if you make a mistake further down the line.
First you make the basic template.

You will have points to spare. At this time you cant ruin the pet.

When the basics are done. You add scrolls first.

Then use the remaining points.

I will add Mediation and Focus scrolls to pets I want to be my keeper pets, in the first round, so the skills will increase and I can monitor mana usage.

Last edited:

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mysticism doesn't have that problem, same for SW. Both also provide heals and utility and both have single target and AOE damage potential.
While I agree with your thoughts on Chivalry--well put, by the way--I cannot imagine EOO is useful in group mob situations--I wanted to point out that Mysticism is also hindered in that the Sleep spell will ruin the synergy of a team-led tank.

For example, let's say you have a 1,000 hit point max resist Cu Sidhe with max HPR and 120 wrestling and 120 magic resist, etc. Basically only meant to tank. Add a Mystic Cu Sidhe, and it sleeps the target. Then whenever the target decides to aggro again, it will attack possibly a different target. I am imagining SW, therefore, is superior for a group-fighting Cu Sidhe.

I will consider that my first of many pet-training mistakes!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While I agree with your thoughts on Chivalry--well put, by the way--I cannot imagine EOO is useful in group mob situations--I wanted to point out that Mysticism is also hindered in that the Sleep spell will ruin the synergy of a team-led tank.

For example, let's say you have a 1,000 hit point max resist Cu Sidhe with max HPR and 120 wrestling and 120 magic resist, etc. Basically only meant to tank. Add a Mystic Cu Sidhe, and it sleeps the target. Then whenever the target decides to aggro again, it will attack possibly a different target. I am imagining SW, therefore, is superior for a group-fighting Cu Sidhe.

I will consider that my first of many pet-training mistakes!
I have found that any area damage causes the mobs to retarget and cause pets to switch targets when a new one aggros. It is really annoying when the victim is almost dead and the pet walks off and attacks a new target.

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I see why crowd control spells like Sleep are wasted mana if casted on the only active target, when the next swing negates the effect.

The time spent casting Sleep a) leads to a skipped swing and therefore dps loss and b) costs mana, which now can't be used to do damage via something else, so amounts to damage lost, too.

I'm inclined to overlook that, because NPCs and monsters all show the same behavior.

Pets using actively detrimental spells, like EoO or Magic Reflect, are a huge problem though, as is the "AI crash" situation, where when a pet is surrounded, it just stops fighting back at some point. The same happens in a "path not found" situation where you tell the pet to attack, it makes the "roger-sound" but then just stands there.

Pets need to have a swing timeout check. If in combat, swing. If target not in range, check path. If path unavailable, check for new targer in melee range and attack. This would fix the "404 brain not found" moments where you can watch your pet going down to a bunch of rats.

Then there's the Alzheimer bug, where a pet forgets it's current target. I've seen this happen in various situations, one on one where a new enemy shows up, AoE target switches and so on. I don't know where this comes from, but it should lead to the "All Kill" target being enforced and the pet's ability to acquire a new target being disabled. "Losing a target" can lead to failure cascades, where the redlined enemy wanders off, regenerates and rejoins the fight later. This is a priority fix IMHO.

SW certainly doesn't have the detrimental-spell problem, unless they can cast ForgotthenameJourney and dump the aggro, for the Tamer ti pick up.

Turbo

Adventurer
I use a cu for champ spawns that has goo, ai and chiv and i dont know what everyone is talking about with eoo. It does just fine and the only time its hp drop a bit quicker and needs some healing is when it is swamped by casters as they can all do damage at once and arent blocked from attacking like what happens when non casters surround it and the rest cant reach it to attack.

When it comes time to fight the boss and it stacks consecrate and eoo combined with me discording and using bard buffs, it does tons of damage so its a good all round pet. Sure a bushido pet would be tankier but its not really needed. It rarely ever gets in trouble in a spawn and if it does its usually my fault it happened.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wrestling, anatomy, Tactics, Parry, Meditation, Focus, Magic resist, a magic spell Healing and Spirit Speak on some Eval Int. Necromage could have Magery and Necro.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wrestling, anatomy, Tactics, Parry, Meditation, Focus, Magic resist, a magic spell Healing and Spirit Speak on some Eval Int. Necromage could have Magery and Necro.
Can Cu Sidhes get magery or just the magery mastery? I am a bit confused on that one...because if they can get magery...can they case arch cure? lol that would be amazing for group...

Ah nm I think this post is in reference to Cu Sidhes and other pets

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can Cu Sidhes get magery or just the magery mastery? I am a bit confused on that one...because if they can get magery...can they case arch cure? lol that would be amazing for group...

Ah nm I think this post is in reference to Cu Sidhes and other pets
It would cost 1501 points to put Magery on a Cu. I ruined my skilled pre pub Reptalon by putting Magery on it and wondering why that training session ended...

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
My mystic Cu is a beast. I use it for Treasure Hunting. Put on Consume and send it in and it just tears apart lvl 6 and 7 spawns. 7's can be a bit tricky depending on the facet. I try to use priority targeting to take out annoying poisoning mobs or changlings first. I have noticed it likes to switch targets, and it also doesn't seem to like listening when I all stop and all kill a new target. It's pretty annoying. Wish they would fix it.

But, it's Myst is only 88 (scrolled to 120) and it will sleep the entire group and then pick them apart one at a time. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. :) Can't wait for it to get its myst maxed!

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would cost 1501 points to put Magery on a Cu. I ruined my skilled pre pub Reptalon by putting Magery on it and wondering why that training session ended...
In theory, you could give your Cu magery mastery. Would be costly though.
Yeah, what I am thinking--despite the 1501--would be whether the Cu would arch cure and cure guildies. Would be amazing at Dreadhorn and such.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, what I am thinking--despite the 1501--would be whether the Cu would arch cure and cure guildies. Would be amazing at Dreadhorn and such.

Try it on a 2 slot nightmare first. They can get magery cheap. just put on Armor Ignore and magery. With a 2 slot, you will get almost the same stats as a Cu.