• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ever take on the role of Dungeon Master?

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as I know, that term came into being with Dungeons and Dragons so to begin there, has anyone ever played Dungeon Master for a pen and paper RPG?

Have you ever done something similar in UO, setting up an adventure for your guildies and UO friends in-game? Have you ever used the PEC to enhance these adventures?

If so, I'd be interested to hear stories about what you did, what type of adventure it was, how the players did, how it was received, and what unexpected failures occurred along the way.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I also refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me. ;) Oh what the heck, yes, even for some local tournaments back in the day. I haven't done anything like that in UO and don't really care to, honestly as most of the fun was watching teams of people trying to figure things out in an environment they knew nothing about. There's not many secrets left in UO, alas!

Stubentiger

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hmm, a relatively easy one.

Made a new character with young protection.
Placed the char in the cove Orc fort.
Informed the local guards that orcs had attacked and kidnapped a girl.
As young character you are not getting attacked.
Local guards fought their way in and rescued the girl.

Variations of this setup are possible with young chars (Brigands/Savages/Lizardmen Camps and so on). Harder to pull off in dungeons as young protection does not work there anymore I think.

Is pretty easy to do just remember to have family members of the kidnapped person and also rescuers at hand.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I recall on GLs a guild did a D&D type adventure where you came to the house naked... with nothing in your pack.... and you were given I think 500 gold for your party to buy things off the vendors out front (much like starting an adventure)... you then entered a maze of a house (complete with traps and dropping through the floor if you weren't careful)... in which they released mobs in or fought you on characters ..... they had chests in there you could "loot"... hidden treasures and on the corpses of their bodies you could loot anything... and use it..... boss fight was a Nightmare I think... or some such.

I had toyed with the idea of doing something similar only gating them into rooms in dungeons and having a "hidden" character in there to drop chests or something for them as well as letting them loot whatever off the mobs... but since they have changed most the decent lower level dungeons... and you can't gate or anything into Illsh.... kinda ruined that idea.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
have i ever played D&D with paper and pen?
i grew up in the 80's, so yes!
i still have my Dungeon Master books!

and no, i dont RP in game.
not my bag.

i do converse with a fella who does it hard core though, always makes me laugh when i get a ICQ from him and it starts off
*a message arrives via fast pigeon*

Stubentiger

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Lyrell's diary quest
Is a newbie quest. Best for new chars though an experienced UO player should help with the mechanics, probably a mage.

You find a dead body and on her is a diary. The diary describes that her husband got weaker and died in the end. Asking a witch/sage she found out that a succubus/demon/evil spirit stole her husband's soul/ heart and hid it. The husband will not find peace in death and she wants to save him. She has a map showing where the heart is buried but got killed (by whatever) before reaching the destination. The location where the husband is buried should also be in the diary.
For the soul I used a heart (best found on zombies) and the map is best a lvl 1 map.
The new player has enough free points to decipher the map and also dig up the chest. I put the heart into the chest after it was dug up and opened. Not sure if a member in party could add an item still?
Opening the chest would be best for the mage - not sure how many lockpicking attempts a newbie has to make.

After defeating the guardians of the chest and getting the heart go to the cemetary where the ghost of the husband should show himself over the grave.
New player gets told that with spirit speak he can try to talk with the dead.
Put the heart on the grave and husbands soul is freed and he can join his wife.

You could do this aslo with the wife being alive, but more characters to control.

Did this quest with 2 newbies and they liked it alot. Also shows them that UO has some obscure skills that can be fun.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's not many secrets left in UO, alas!
You'd be surprised at how much gets forgotten or how many little details were never noticed in this 20 years.

I was doing an event in Dungeon Rock in Ilshenar which is way out in the boonies. There is a room at the end of the dungeon which has a few hell hounds spawning inside and I had my stealther there ready to drop the props that the adventurers were seeking. So I'm on another character who basically hired the player characters for this adventure, serving as a guide to make sure they don't get too far off the beaten path so to speak and my stealther is logged in on a second computer. Curiously, as my stealther is sitting there, new hell hounds keep spawning until there are 50 hell hounds in this room by the time the players make it there. I don't know if it still does this. I'm tempted to send my stealther down there right now to check.

Last edited:

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm, a relatively easy one.

Made a new character with young protection.
Placed the char in the cove Orc fort.
Informed the local guards that orcs had attacked and kidnapped a girl.
As young character you are not getting attacked.
Local guards fought their way in and rescued the girl.

Variations of this setup are possible with young chars (Brigands/Savages/Lizardmen Camps and so on). Harder to pull off in dungeons as young protection does not work there anymore I think.

Is pretty easy to do just remember to have family members of the kidnapped person and also rescuers at hand.
Nice. Masks of the Orcish Kin (Gotten off Savages) are excellent if you want to create a villain for your guild/alliance mates to fight within the orc dungeon/forts. I also liked villains with spellweaving to allure henchmen to help them fight. The new necromancy charm is great for this too and even better, you can release undead along the way to serve as challenges.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
have i ever played D&D with paper and pen?
i grew up in the 80's, so yes!
i still have my Dungeon Master books!

and no, i dont RP in game.
not my bag.

i do converse with a fella who does it hard core though, always makes me laugh when i get a ICQ from him and it starts off
*a message arrives via fast pigeon*
20170403_211257.jpg

I got a few of those laying around too....though I don't know why the Mrs. is stashing coupons with them...

Not just D&D though, also in there are some Rifts and Star Wars: The Role Playing Game books.

Though AD&D 2nd Edition is by far my favorite, the variety of player resource books was a big reason for that.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
As far as I know, that term came into being with Dungeons and Dragons so to begin there, has anyone ever played Dungeon Master for a pen and paper RPG?

Have you ever done something similar in UO, setting up an adventure for your guildies and UO friends in-game? Have you ever used the PEC to enhance these adventures?

If so, I'd be interested to hear stories about what you did, what type of adventure it was, how the players did, how it was received, and what unexpected failures occurred along the way.
Yep fun times!! I remember a time playing Ravenloft when we were exploring Strahd's Castle. We find Strahd. Someone had a vorpal sword and rolled a natural 20....on the first hit. "Welll...ummmm that's awkward! Now what?" DMs....pssst. Never ever let your players get a vorpal sword.

The vorpal sword from 2nd edition decapitated a normal, human sized (or smaller) opponent on a roll of 17-20. that is a 20% chance per attack roll.

Last edited:

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At 30 years old, my friends and I have gotten into D&D for the first time in our lives (except for our DM). It's awesome. We get together every 2 weeks, get drunk, and play out this adventure that our DM has prepared for us. None of us had played it before now except for the DM. Never too late to start!

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I've been running games for over 35 years.

Yes, I've set them up- no, not in PEC.

You just need players willing to go along with you. Also, you generally want to do it somewhere secluded--- because some asshat will come along and ruin it.

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How has this not come up yet?

Ha, this was a nice reminder of my life 20 years ago. Not only did I love D&D, but RPG video games.

In fact I actually worked at Capcom when I was 18. Kept a nice memento when they closed the factory. I forgot about it til I saw this post

20170409_154501.jpg