• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Whatever happened to the Long Sword??

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Whatever happened to this bad boy? I always thought this was one of the cooler looking swords in the game but seems to have long been ignored. IMO its the most badass looking weapon in the game. Make the long sword relevant again!!!

Attachments

Izzy MBC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
In the age of Imbuing and all that jazz, cannot it not be "made relevant" by the hands of a skilled crafter? Genuine question, because I don't know what the hell is possible any more in this game...

Also, maybe "relevant" could use some defining, if I'm off the mark here.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whatever happened to this bad boy? I always thought this was one of the cooler looking swords in the game but seems to have long been ignored. IMO its the most badass looking weapon in the game. Make the long sword relevant again!!!
But... Longswords are good. They are the highest damage single handed weapon with armor ignore.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Perhaps I wasn't clear in the original post. There are two swords with basically the same name. There is the "Longsword" which is craft-able by blacksmiths and the most commonly seen of the two, and then there is the "Long Sword" (as pictured in the original post) which does not appear to be craft-able and is very rarely dropped as loot if at all (not positive about this). These two weapons have the exact same base properties (14-18 dmg, 3.5s ws) however one is widely available and the other is not. I personally really like the artwork of the "Long Sword".

So to answer your question @Izzy MBC , I would define relevant in the context of in game items as something that is both craft-able and commonly seen as drop and perhaps usable. Not being able to craft one of these suckers kind of rules out the using imbuing to make it useful due to weight constraints. Maybe I don't hunt enough, but I never seem to see one of these drop with magical properties i.e. lesser, greater artifact.

I guess I'm just curious why this particular version of the longsword seems to be neglected. Anyone - feel free to call me out on this if I'm wrong and post a picture of a decked out "Long Sword"!

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I guess I'm just curious why this particular version of the longsword seems to be neglected. Anyone - feel free to call me out on this if I'm wrong and post a picture of a decked out "Long Sword"!
I use the "Longsword" version of it on all of my swordsmanship characters but I would not use the one pictured in the original post. I think the one pictured in the original post is too small and gets lost easily in a messy backpack, especially when you are carrying around 3 or 4 at a time for different slayers. It's much easier to find the "Longsword" version because it's about double the size in backpacks. They both look the exact same being held in your characters hand anyway so I just prefer to be able to quickly locate and grab it.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
That is a fair point, @Captn Norrington , and yes they both do look the same on your paperdol/character. But I would still like to know why this version doesn't get any love. The smaller size can't be the reason - its not that much smaller. I dunno - I look at swords like the Dread Sword and think why are artistic monstrosities like this more common than the "Long Sword". It may be simple artwork but its an original UO style and fits the game a lot better than some of AOS and above style weapons.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps I wasn't clear in the original post. There are two swords with basically the same name. There is the "Longsword" which is craft-able by blacksmiths and the most commonly seen of the two, and then there is the "Long Sword" (as pictured in the original post) which does not appear to be craft-able and is very rarely dropped as loot if at all (not positive about this). These two weapons have the exact same base properties (14-18 dmg, 3.5s ws) however one is widely available and the other is not. I personally really like the artwork of the "Long Sword".

So to answer your question @Izzy MBC , I would define relevant in the context of in game items as something that is both craft-able and commonly seen as drop and perhaps usable. Not being able to craft one of these suckers kind of rules out the using imbuing to make it useful due to weight constraints. Maybe I don't hunt enough, but I never seem to see one of these drop with magical properties i.e. lesser, greater artifact.

Ah, where is the art. On that I agree. :D