• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The reason the High Seas are so empty

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would indeed consider pirating on par with other encounters, except for the loots. Tweaking the loots some(adding Granite types for example or maybe throw in a random ancient SOS) as others have suggested would be nice considering the hassle it is to make materials. Working the boat is a major part of the encounter.
Except keys are easier (at very least less tedious) to get, you need far less of them, and they don't require five click interactions constantly throughout the battle. You could easily eliminate many steps in the creation process and be done with it), and reduce the number of clicks required per use, and lose pretty much nothing.

Honestly I would have made "black powder" single rare ingredient craftables that being the small pieces of blackrock we already have as well as adding in larger chunks while mining, do away with the fuse, the ramrods, match cords, the swabs, all that junk. Blackrock -> Black Powder, Iron -> Cannon ball, Wood -> torch. The end. Balance it with different cannon balls having different damage and cool down counters, so you could fire a lot of light ammo or slower heavy. You could expand it from there but that's a nice simple system. Would have made boat combat FAR more accessible and fun for the majority of people, I would wager.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Boy, I am farming that stuff all the time. We are talking about High Seas. I am not talking about peerless keys, which are fine the way they are.
He's suggesting that you are asking for an "easy button". "If this is easier, why not make EVERYTHING easier??" etc.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just as with the fishing quests, you only need to be on the same server as the docks. If you have a small boat moored off the docks in the safe location (where u wont get the ship teleported away, outside the mooring buoys) you can recall to that boat, move to the docks and click the quest giver to claim your rewards. :)
Once you get to the server the dock is on stop your ship and just recall to the dock, no need to use another ship.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Except keys are easier (at very least less tedious) to get, you need far less of them, and they don't require five click interactions constantly throughout the battle. You could easily eliminate many steps in the creation process and be done with it), and reduce the number of clicks required per use, and lose pretty much nothing.

Honestly I would have made "black powder" single rare ingredient craftables that being the small pieces of blackrock we already have as well as adding in larger chunks while mining, do away with the fuse, the ramrods, match cords, the swabs, all that junk. Blackrock -> Black Powder, Iron -> Cannon ball, Wood -> torch. The end. Balance it with different cannon balls having different damage and cool down counters, so you could fire a lot of light ammo or slower heavy. You could expand it from there but that's a nice simple system. Would have made boat combat FAR more accessible and fun for the majority of people, I would wager.
Ooo.. I like the idea of blackrock being incorporated in the crafting process...though I'd suggest a new ammo type be made from it. Explosive rounds maybe...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you can't make a macro to clean, load, and prime your cannon with a single key stroke you aren't trying very hard. Very easy especially in the EC.
Could you please post such a macro for the EC?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The High Seas package was not bought because of the High Seas Adventure, that was just and added bonus. The main reason so many High Seas expansions were sold is because of one single feature, - 20% House and Bank storage increase and it was cheaper than the Ultima Online Housing and Bank Storage Upgrade Code.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Was terrible design on day one of high seas, it's terrible design today. It's as if they came up with an idea that had potential, and sat down and said "how can we strip the fun out of this system?" Just leaves the players wondering..."why?"

The type of convoluted design would later be seen in the the refinement system.
This exactly. Certain people on the dev team (cough, cough, @Kyronix ) seem to think pointless crafting complexity makes everything more fun for some reason. You have to wonder how much content they plan to murder this way.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This exactly. Certain people on the dev team (cough, cough, @Kyronix ) seem to think pointless crafting complexity makes everything more fun for some reason. You have to wonder how much content they plan to murder this way.
Thank you for your analysis. Having not been on the team when High Seas crafting was implemented, I can't say for sure what the intent was. From my perspective, however, there's a spectrum of crafter - like many play styles, from the casual to the hard core. For someone that's a casual crafter, sure, anything beyond a straightforward recipe and crafting process isn't going to be enjoyable. For the hardcore crafter, though, they might enjoy some more involved crafting recipes and processes. I think the bigger issue with High Seas crafting, at least in the case of ammo, was the initial shortage in the availability of salt peter. This was resolved to a certain degree, but I don't think quite far enough. I personally didn't mind the ship ammo crafting process and amassed a good deal of my in game wealth through the sale of ship supplies when HS was released, the saltpeter shortage was a different story. The entire High Seas ship combat experience is definitely in need of streamlining and polish, as well as some loot upgrades and bug checks.

As I mentioned in the Siege thread, this is something that has been on our wishlist for a while. In the immediate term we are focusing on fleshing out the remainder of the Valley of Eodon (so that does not suffer from the "hot potato" problem we saw with HS).

As a matter of clarification, I don't think "pointless crafting complexity" makes everything more fun. I do, however, think that the role of the dedicated crafter and their relevance in the current game has diminished, especially since a majority of players have a full complement of crafting able characters to deliver on any crafting needs their combat able characters may need. One of the most common points of feedback we receive is "make crafters relevant again!" in some form or another. While I don't think "pointless crafting complexity" adds more fun, I do think trying different approaches to presenting new challenges within the context of the crafter role can be a worthwhile investment. Sometimes the best laid plans don't pan out in practice and we go back to the drawing board. Thanks again for your feedback!

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whoever planned out HS
But you can't mark a rune there therefore you can't recall to that dock.
You can gate to a ship parked by it outside the bouys. I've got one parked by the Siege seamarket with it's key locked down on top of my house mailbox, you'll need a rowboat to reach the docks which you can buy from the Zento npc ship vendor at the town docks. House location is below my sig. Please don't move the ship.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You can gate to a ship parked by it outside the bouys. I've got one parked by the Siege seamarket with it's key locked down on top of my house mailbox, you'll need a rowboat to reach the docks which you can buy from the Zento npc ship vendor at the town docks. House location is below my sig. Please don't move the ship.
I have a character mage parked at the one on GLs tram so I can gate myself there anytime I like but again poor planning on the part of the devs to make the place so out of the way, obscure placement and then top it off with the inability to recall there and everything else just makes it overly tedious.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I believe it was Mark Steelman who did a lot of the HS content.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd like to be able to place 2 boats.
and
I'd like to see rowboats work in any large river or lake.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
As a matter of clarification, I don't think "pointless crafting complexity" makes everything more fun. I do, however, think that the role of the dedicated crafter and their relevance in the current game has diminished, especially since a majority of players have a full complement of crafting able characters to deliver on any crafting needs their combat able characters may need. One of the most common points of feedback we receive is "make crafters relevant again!" in some form or another. While I don't think "pointless crafting complexity" adds more fun, I do think trying different approaches to presenting new challenges within the context of the crafter role can be a worthwhile investment.
I pretty much sussed this out from various things you've said in the past, but thank you for stating it plainly. When phrased a bit less charitably however, this approach boils down to:

"Let's make crafting such a mess that the vast majority of players with perfectly capable characters will be completely baffled, to the point that they seek out one of the few people who aren't baffled and pay them millions of gold to do it for them. Because those few people are True Crafters™ and the game is automatically better off when they feel needed, even if we have to deeply frustrate literally everyone else in the process."

But what you end up with in practice is a game where the overwhelming majority of players think crafting has become a pointlessly complex trainwreck and want to know how many garbage points they can get for throwing your new crafting widgets in the trash. (And why shouldn't they think that? You've designed it to be too annoying for them on purpose.) I paid out the nose for a new bells-and-whistles suit for my main in like 2013 and it was such a pain in the ass I'm not doing it again for any reason other than it completely wearing out.

You can add all the ephemeral or antique or whatever properties you want that wear things out faster, but I'm never putting those items on unless they represent a game-breakingly huge power upgrade. The game's item system has been horribly obtuse since AoS and with all the stuff piled on top of that, I'm just plain done worrying about it until the game absolutely forces me to.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I stop fishing/quests/pirate/merchant ships ect... for afew reasons. one was my runes to ships kept going blank every week or so, after calling gms several times to find my boat, many times, gms finally didn't show up and lost ships with many quests in them. I'm not blaming gms at all. it was something that should of been fix asap. next was the fishing scripters, I cant even think of competing. they let run all night, then go thr their harvest with many fish/crab/lobster, horn leather, reg sos and white sos. I wont even go into the script questing for bait ect.... venders with 1000 use bait or more day after day lol. there is nothing out in the sea that could even come close to kill u. theres no challenge to go after the pirate/merchant. there are many things the devs have put into the game that are great but many other of the things that seemed to be geared for scripting. then multiply with the multi accounts use. I could spent a month fishing while scripters/multis can do in a short period of time, while at work/sleeping or doing something else lol. I could never understand that they don't developed/make it where u must be there or die. having to make black powder is the least of my concerns but that can be scripted too lol. just my insight/opinions.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When my runes and keys lost track of the boats they belonged to, it was bc I had visited another shard with the boat owner. I lost a few boats loaded with quest crates before I found out . And the same with small boats and their keys. GMs could not locate boats for me, but if I could sail up to my boat they could help me onboard. I stopped travel with my fisher but also waiting for an improved HS before I go questing again.
For me it was lots of fun for a long time , doing quests, fighting Charybdis , save up steaks for pies and run a vendor with the HS stuff. But eventually I gave up as well. The concept was great to me but nothing was worth doing in the long run. It took huge investments of time and even of gold sometimes. The lobster trapping is a good example of both. The fish baits hardly increased the chance to get the fish they were ment for. The Charybdis baits so rare and the loot so poor it was not worth doing. Exept for a fun exprience a few times.
Ingredients to pies so expensive you could not sell them on venors for a deacent price..they were not good enough or lasting long enough to be of interest.. I could go on and on..
But I s aid this before. The concept is great but all numbers has to be tweaked up or down to make it a reasonable thing to do without being too frustrated! I didnt mention the cannonstuff as it has been said already.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can add all the ephemeral or antique or whatever properties you want that wear things out faster, but I'm never putting those items on unless they represent a game-breakingly huge power upgrade. The game's item system has been horribly obtuse since AoS and with all the stuff piled on top of that, I'm just plain done worrying about it until the game absolutely forces me to.
Lol this! Refinement reforge, etc etc, what a mess. I still am able to have a load of fun with my crafted old school val plate that I imbued up to all 70s with a bit of +stamina =)

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I can't see pirates being worth the trouble. I do merchant ships when I need some valorite. Takes about an hour to mine enough saltpeter to do two merchant ships, and that often gets me 500 valorite. I hated it at first, but it's really not so bad once you get the process down and know where to look for merchant ships. I am glad Kyronix is considering adjusting the saltpeter. Pirate fighting though - agreed, it's a fail.

Last edited:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When my runes and keys lost track of the boats they belonged to, it was bc I had visited another shard with the boat owner. I lost a few boats loaded with quest crates before I found out . And the same with small boats and their keys. GMs could not locate boats for me, but if I could sail up to my boat they could help me onboard. I stopped travel with my fisher but also waiting for an improved HS before I go questing again.
For me it was lots of fun for a long time , doing quests, fighting Charybdis , save up steaks for pies and run a vendor with the HS stuff. But eventually I gave up as well. The concept was great to me but nothing was worth doing in the long run. It took huge investments of time and even of gold sometimes. The lobster trapping is a good example of both. The fish baits hardly increased the chance to get the fish they were ment for. The Charybdis baits so rare and the loot so poor it was not worth doing. Exept for a fun exprience a few times.
Ingredients to pies so expensive you could not sell them on venors for a deacent price..they were not good enough or lasting long enough to be of interest.. I could go on and on..
But I s aid this before. The concept is great but all numbers has to be tweaked up or down to make it a reasonable thing to do without being too frustrated! I didnt mention the cannonstuff as it has been said already.
I didn't even touch on the fishing aspect, or baits. I know this much from my own experience. I had a full fishermans suit, with 800 baits (i can't recall the fish type but it wasn't the really rare ones, it was the bait most commonly rewarded) and I went through the entire stack and didnt catch a single fish of that type. Did I expect 800 fish ? No, did I expect 1, yes.

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey Guys , lets go do some High Seas action.... yayyyyy !!!

Ok I'll go make some ammo...be right back guys yayyyy !!!

Now lets see.....i need to shoot the cannon....hrm, it says I need a light or heavy charge....

Hang on Guys I"m making ammo..I'll be right there....Yayyy !!!!!

Now let's see...I have on alchy....ah ha Black Powder...yayyy!!!!

To make black powder I need....6 salt peter, 1 charcoal and 1 ash.....umm, wait I dont have Salt peter, Oh, it says I just need to sail out to the Sea Market and buy it.....(skips part where I had to acquire a boat)....sails to market and finds the NPC alchy.. yayyy !!!.....Saltpeter..440gp each, wth....This is because Mesanna and crew thought it would be cool if the community worked together for this ingredient yayyy!!!!! It's ran up this high from people buying it non stop, and it won't go back down until some poor sap digs up some niter and then digs that into salt peter, in another endless grind which is part of another story, and then sells it back to the NPC.

ok ....alchy menu has Fuse yayyy!!!......ok I need 1 black powder.... :-(

Ok ok, limme start over...so I need charcoal....ok thats just boards..yayyy !!! I can make as many at a time as i can hold...cool..*whips out 300 charcoal real quick*...that wasn't so bad....

Ok Potash....that only takes boards and water...grabs another 300 boards with an endless pitcher of water...craft craft craft....1 potash....wth

Hang on guys , i've almost got it figured out...yayyy!!!!!

Checks vendor search........zip

Sneaks out the back door , leaving the friends.......yay....thank you devs...

And I could have made this much more drawn out by following your ridiculous incorporated method for simply crafting the damn ammo.......

think cannon regs are on cave trolls if i remmeber right cant log on too check

Crimson Hawk Moth

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
We should also be able to buy medusa eggs, Exodus, dreadhorn, stygian dragon, and all peerless keys. Streamline the experience right? o_O
I would be all for this. Why not cut tedium out? What really purpose does the keying serve besides making it just take longer to do the content you are actually wanting to do ?

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I agree that it is prohibitively tedious to gather and craft the supplies for pirate/merchant hunting. I don't think it should all be on npc vendors or anything like that, but it could certainly stand to be simplified a great deal.

I'd love to see High Seas fleshed out some more. I'd like some titles added, like a "Captain" title, and "the Pirate", and I'd like to see the list of pirate names updated to include the current team. It would be neat if pirate ships had a small chance to have a decent item from anywhere in the game--they're pirates, after all, so you never know what they've stolen! ;)

Me, personally... I would LOVE if the pirates (or maybe the High Seas bosses) dropped something akin to the old crystallized essences that spawned a small batch of pirates. Those are SO GOOD for player events, and I do enjoy the pirate theme. Maybe a chance for pirate, orc, undead, or brigand if pirates is too limiting.

The High Seas bosses range greatly in playability.

Corgul is my favorite boss in the game--easy to key for a group but still requiring a bit of effort. I love his pirate island.

I've thrown a dozen white nets in a row and gotten no Scalis. That's very frustrating, especially if you have a limited number of nets and people expecting a bigger fight than you end up giving them.

Charybdis isn't worth doing except as a novelty, which is a real shame. He's a really neat boss encounter, but way too much effort (and cost) for no reward greater than you can get for tossing a white net off the NM dock or dropping a couple maps on an altar and sailing a bit.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The High Seas package was not bought because of the High Seas Adventure, that was just and added bonus. The main reason so many High Seas expansions were sold is because of one single feature, - 20% House and Bank storage increase and it was cheaper than the Ultima Online Housing and Bank Storage Upgrade Code.
only reason i have it. I would of used it more had there been some sort of incentive to pvp from ships... like perhaps a champ spawn in the middle of the ocean... seems obvious to me but then again im not a developer. :)

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be neat if pirate ships had a small chance to have a decent item from anywhere in the game--they're pirates, after all, so you never know what they've stolen! ;)
They need to have the cargo from a couple of merchant ships they've robbed in their holds along with that decent item, something to give some serious reward to the crew that defeats that pirate. That 10k gold bit is a joke, the cost of the first cannon broadside ammo costs more than that.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
only reason i have it. I would of used it more had there been some sort of incentive to pvp from ships... like perhaps a champ spawn in the middle of the ocean... seems obvious to me but then again im not a developer. :)
You realize the Corgul encounter has a Fel side island? His island (IMO) is by far the best place in game to farm pinks. I've done it solo and come out with 15+ points of skill in pinks in a single run.
Add to that the Fel luck bonus and honor luck bonus and you can also walk out with some nice loot pieces... better than any other champ spawn boss for sure.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You realize the Corgul encounter has a Fel side island? His island (IMO) is by far the best place in game to farm pinks. I've done it solo and come out with 15+ points of skill in pinks in a single run.
Add to that the Fel luck bonus and honor luck bonus and you can also walk out with some nice loot pieces... better than any other champ spawn boss for sure.
aye but that doesnt use the boats and correct me if im wrong you cant really raid corgul as its an instance by itself?

It would be a lot more fun to have an open water champ spawn that incorporated the boats and cannons.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
aye but that doesnt use the boats and correct me if im wrong you cant really raid corgul as its an instance by itself?

It would be a lot more fun to have an open water champ spawn that incorporated the boats and cannons.
The island is static until Corgul is defeated. Once the island spawns, anyone can get a map to it and enter the encounter. Our groups has raided and been raided there.

Ships work there just like anywhere else. You can scuttle people boat meaning they can not flee the island easily (unless someone else in the party has a second boat).

I know it isn't a "grand" pvp encounter, but it's at least something.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks good on paper but does not work in practice is getting to be common theme these days.

Thank you for your analysis. Having not been on the team when High Seas crafting was implemented, I can't say for sure what the intent was. From my perspective, however, there's a spectrum of crafter - like many play styles, from the casual to the hard core. For someone that's a casual crafter, sure, anything beyond a straightforward recipe and crafting process isn't going to be enjoyable. For the hardcore crafter, though, they might enjoy some more involved crafting recipes and processes. I think the bigger issue with High Seas crafting, at least in the case of ammo, was the initial shortage in the availability of salt peter. This was resolved to a certain degree, but I don't think quite far enough. I personally didn't mind the ship ammo crafting process and amassed a good deal of my in game wealth through the sale of ship supplies when HS was released, the saltpeter shortage was a different story. The entire High Seas ship combat experience is definitely in need of streamlining and polish, as well as some loot upgrades and bug checks.

As I mentioned in the Siege thread, this is something that has been on our wishlist for a while. In the immediate term we are focusing on fleshing out the remainder of the Valley of Eodon (so that does not suffer from the "hot potato" problem we saw with HS).

As a matter of clarification, I don't think "pointless crafting complexity" makes everything more fun. I do, however, think that the role of the dedicated crafter and their relevance in the current game has diminished, especially since a majority of players have a full complement of crafting able characters to deliver on any crafting needs their combat able characters may need. One of the most common points of feedback we receive is "make crafters relevant again!" in some form or another. While I don't think "pointless crafting complexity" adds more fun, I do think trying different approaches to presenting new challenges within the context of the crafter role can be a worthwhile investment. Sometimes the best laid plans don't pan out in practice and we go back to the drawing board. Thanks again for your feedback![/QUOTE"

Looks good on paper and does not work in practice is getting to be a common theme these days.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The island is static until Corgul is defeated. Once the island spawns, anyone can get a map to it and enter the encounter. Our groups has raided and been raided there.

Ships work there just like anywhere else. You can scuttle people boat meaning they can not flee the island easily (unless someone else in the party has a second boat).

I know it isn't a "grand" pvp encounter, but it's at least something.
Welp, isnt that just the consensus of all UO... its cool but not as cool as it could be. :) Gonna have to dust off the ol boat and give it a whirl again tonight. :)

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Hey Guys , lets go do some High Seas action.... yayyyyy !!!

Ok I'll go make some ammo...be right back guys yayyyy !!!

Now lets see.....i need to shoot the cannon....hrm, it says I need a light or heavy charge....

Hang on Guys I"m making ammo..I'll be right there....Yayyy !!!!!

Now let's see...I have on alchy....ah ha Black Powder...yayyy!!!!

To make black powder I need....6 salt peter, 1 charcoal and 1 ash.....umm, wait I dont have Salt peter, Oh, it says I just need to sail out to the Sea Market and buy it.....(skips part where I had to acquire a boat)....sails to market and finds the NPC alchy.. yayyy !!!.....Saltpeter..440gp each, wth....This is because Mesanna and crew thought it would be cool if the community worked together for this ingredient yayyy!!!!! It's ran up this high from people buying it non stop, and it won't go back down until some poor sap digs up some niter and then digs that into salt peter, in another endless grind which is part of another story, and then sells it back to the NPC.

ok ....alchy menu has Fuse yayyy!!!......ok I need 1 black powder.... :-(

Ok ok, limme start over...so I need charcoal....ok thats just boards..yayyy !!! I can make as many at a time as i can hold...cool..*whips out 300 charcoal real quick*...that wasn't so bad....

Ok Potash....that only takes boards and water...grabs another 300 boards with an endless pitcher of water...craft craft craft....1 potash....wth

Hang on guys , i've almost got it figured out...yayyy!!!!!

Checks vendor search........zip

Sneaks out the back door , leaving the friends.......yay....thank you devs...

And I could have made this much more drawn out by following your ridiculous incorporated method for simply crafting the damn ammo.......
yup.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
think cannon regs are on cave trolls if i remmeber right cant log on too check
Because killing cave trolls is fun right!
oh yeah... I keep forgetting people script uo.
OH wells.

My fisher chick has eaten a 120 scroll ... over a year ago. She's still 115. Never worked it. After I got the scroll it was kinda... over.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cave trolls have cannon stuff for HS??? yeah, that makes sense...

Balrog

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Corgul maps are frustrating. I really wish that the time on them were longer or have more instances. If you pull one and it has half an hour left you'll show up to the island and Corgul will not be there. You will kill all of the spawn off and Corgul will be a no show. I know they wanted to make the system conducive to having others join in the instance but if you want to run one at 9pm Eastern on the Atlantic Shard you're out of luck.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Corgul maps are frustrating. I really wish that the time on them were longer or have more instances. If you pull one and it has half an hour left you'll show up to the island and Corgul will not be there. You will kill all of the spawn off and Corgul will be a no show. I know they wanted to make the system conducive to having others join in the instance but if you want to run one at 9pm Eastern on the Atlantic Shard you're out of luck.
There definitely is something buggy about the encounter. I am not sure if sometimes the encounter spawns with no Corgul, or if Corgul de-spawns if the encounter isn't worked after a certain amount of time. But if anything, the timer should be shortened. No way it should be taking anyone 2 hours to do the encounter, I solo it in 25 minutes. Shortening the timer to 1 hour would hopefully keep Corgul from disappearing, but at a minimum it would shorten the time you would have to wait for a bugged one to reset.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
stuff to add/change
1) add a few new sea monsters you might fish up at greater dragon level (with small chance for artifacts loot)
2) add a few mid-level bosses to Charybdis area that can be solo and a smaller chance for artifacts loot

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just because it has 20 steps doesn't make it a better system.

I stopped doing anything with the high seas content because of the bugged ships. That, and the rewards just were not worth it.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually enjoy High Seas and the content. It needs more work and some bugs worked out. Not a fan of the fishing aspect as others have pointed out the % in catching some fish is just impossible. I got my 120 scroll and have not done a fishing quest since then. They need to make cannon loading a simple matter of double click the cannon and it go through the process of cleaning, loading and priming and another double click to fire. High seas has a lot of potential left in it if they ever decide to clean it up and continue building on it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I actually enjoy High Seas and the content. It needs more work and some bugs worked out. Not a fan of the fishing aspect as others have pointed out the % in catching some fish is just impossible. I got my 120 scroll and have not done a fishing quest since then. They need to make cannon loading a simple matter of double click the cannon and it go through the process of cleaning, loading and priming and another double click to fire. High seas has a lot of potential left in it if they ever decide to clean it up and continue building on it.
You do still have to tell the cannon what to load but I agree double click cannon(target ammo) and double click to fire should be all it should take.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe just a targeting cursor that comes up and tells you to select ammo. Fixing the firing after the ship is scuttled and the crew is dead would be nice as well. Very annoying when you get one of the pirate ships that flips and you can park on the back side and your ship gets scuttled while fighting the dread pirate or looting the hold. Gotten to where I scuttle the ship and move out of its cannon range and row boat over to finish it up. Again annoying but workable. Pirate ship loot should be better given the expense of scuttling one. The economics of pirate hunting are not good and usually come in at a net loss. Make out better doing regular message in a bottle than pirates sail to coordinates fish up junk, pull up the chest and rake in 10k-30k and maybe some decent junk. Merch ships are easy pickins, to easy to the point of BORING they could atleast fight back. Merch ships work out to a good profit though.