• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bad Storm Hitting US East Coast

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A pretty bad storm is currently blasting the U.S. east coast. Just throwing that info out there just in case there are any problems with UO this weekend. Be patient and understand that the dev team may be without power and the ability to do much.

I hope everyone who is affected by this storm is able to stay inside, safe and warm. Good luck to you all. Will be thinking about you.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Get some good snow tires on and go give the streets hell, I say.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
It's started. I bought lots of liquor, beer, and wine to prepare. I bought a flashlight. Maybe I should have bought food, I dunno.

Get some good snow tires on and go give the streets hell, I say.
We got 1" of snow Wednesday, but the DC government decided not to pre-treat the roads. It was madness. The president was stuck in the same traffic as the rest of us. Not sure how they're going to handle 20"-30".

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It's started. I bought lots of liquor, beer, and wine to prepare. I bought a flashlight. Maybe I should have bought food, I dunno.

We got 1" of snow Wednesday, but the DC government decided not to pre-treat the roads. It was madness. The president was stuck in the same traffic as the rest of us. Not sure how they're going to handle 20"-30".
Well I'm assuming it's going to look a lot like this instead...

WP_20160118_08_55_52_Pro.jpg

But seriously folks, this is an idea of what is being expected in the Mid-Atlantic region, driving through it is not fun, if don't have to go out, don't. If you do have to go out, make sure you give yourself plenty of time. My rule is to take the time I think it will take with the weather and double it, it's paid off at times doing this.

***EDIT***

Just for perspective, this is a picture I just took today looking out to the same area without snow coming down. I figure it might help people grasp the concept of how limiting heavy snowfall is to visibility. The buildings in the background are about 200 yards way.

WP_20160122_15_51_05_Pro.jpg

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Who needs food when you have liquor and a flashlight? There's some fun to be had right there! ;)

On topic...for all of those in the war zone, be safe....build some snowmen...Ohh UO Snowmen....hmm....

Living near Chicago and having lived up in Wisconsin for a time I've been through my share of major snowstorms/Blizzards so be safe and have fun it all that snow when it lets up!

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Stay off the road during the height of the storm and I'm sure y'all will be fine.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
One of my daughters lives in Maryland. Government workers get days like this off, thank goodness; so she is staying warm and cozy at home until they get the all-clear.

I was born in NY. Sure am glad I left there 64 years ago!

Silentfury

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I have it on good authority that Mesanna made the Dev Team bring in Sleeping Bags, Bottles of Wine, the ingredients for Smores so when they get snowed in, Publish 92 will still go Live on time. Gotta love that dedication !

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I have it on good authority that Mesanna made the Dev Team bring in Sleeping Bags, Bottles of Wine, the ingredients for Smores so when they get snowed in, Publish 92 will still go Live on time. Gotta love that dedication !
Really? If so, just hope they don't have a power outage. :eyes:

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I finished the last of the milk with my cereal this morning. Stupid idiot I am I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from work tonight for more.

The parking lot was jam packed (This is a store I've never seen on a Saturday morning with more than 10-15 cars in it, mind you) and the aisles were elbow-to-elbow. I waited 15 minutes alone just to checkout in the 15 items or less line (With people actually sticking to under 15 items)

My little FWD hatchback had no issues in the snow, as always. I might even get around to putting the snow tires on soon.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I finished the last of the milk with my cereal this morning. Stupid idiot I am I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from work tonight for more.

The parking lot was jam packed (This is a store I've never seen on a Saturday morning with more than 10-15 cars in it, mind you) and the aisles were elbow-to-elbow. I waited 15 minutes alone just to checkout in the 15 items or less line (With people actually sticking to under 15 items)

My little FWD hatchback had no issues in the snow, as always. I might even get around to putting the snow tires on soon.
At times like these I really appreciate living in Florida. I hate snow and cold.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I already have 7 inches of snow. I shoveled my whole blocks sidewalks and driveways for my neighbors for the past 2 and half hours. I was bored since I had nothing to do since I take 3 day weekends :)

Suppose to get 3 to 5 more inches tonight and 1 inch more in the morning. I think I may do some snow boarding tomorrow

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

The Korean grocery store was empty. And they still had bread and milk. And cute baby squid, but I only bought milk.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
It is a nice day here in Amarillo today as well, Dan... you have to agree we have had some bad weather in Texas this winter.

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
mainer, here, lol at those worried over a bit of a dusting, lol, snow happens

Who needs food when you have liquor and a flashlight? There's some fun to be had right there! ;)

On topic...for all of those in the war zone, be safe....build some snowmen...Ohh UO Snowmen....hmm....

Living near Chicago and having lived up in Wisconsin for a time I've been through my share of major snowstorms/Blizzards so be safe and have fun it all that snow when it lets up!

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
mainer, here, lol at those worried over a bit of a dusting, lol, snow happens
Ha, true. I envy the Main government's experience handling these dustings.

Annoying thing here is that the problem isn't the abstract apprehension about snow. It's that local governments and infrastructure aren't equipped to handle it. An inch of snow can cause hundreds of accidents, hours of traffic, and other chaos if roads aren't properly treated--and they weren't Wednesday. I don't think folks in NOVA/D.C./Baltimore are afraid of snow--they're afraid of the ramifications in this area.

Our governments aren't good at this stuff. Pity us!

Last edited:

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I'm curious to see your morning pics of the blizzard conditions. If you live in the areas affected, feel free to post images below

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Weather was perfect in Texas last month!

View attachment 41989
Seriously... You shoot in a jacket and tie? Loosen up bro... :rolleyes2:
[EDIT: On closer viewing...] Cute paint tho, s̶h̶e̶ he looks health. :thumbup:

That last pic of the cars you posted is EXACTLY how it looked in Utah over Xmas and those folks didn't even blink. Roads... np. Business as usual.
The powder on Alta, Brighton and Solitude was just insane. :thumbsup:

Sorry for All the Upstate Folks!!!

Meantime, down here in FLORIDA!!!!!!
Dunno abt you but I got blasted last weekend with a Tornado touching down close by and microbursts everywhere.
My internet was down till Monday morning.

Last edited:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Winds starting to pickup a bit in RI. No snow till tomorrow. Fridges are fun to deliver in the snow. Once rode an old one down my customers hill after a big snowfall. She couldn't stop laughing. Oh and Dan... go Cowboys!

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is a nice day here in Amarillo today as well, Dan... you have to agree we have had some bad weather in Texas this winter.
I went through Amarillo this past summer and I fell in love. Definitely want to take time to stop at the big Texan next time. Didn't care much going by that huge cattle farm on the west end of 40 though. Breathtaking.

We got about 8in here total with a thick layer of ice in between. Ya know when I was a kid I remember 2-3 feet of snow was a normal winter and now this little amount is being called a blizzard.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
This morning. It's still going and should keep snowing all day. 30" expected.
@Taylor Going sledding on Capital Hill? If I'm not mistaken this is one of the first times there has been enough snow to do so since they lifted the ban on it.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I went through Amarillo this past summer and I fell in love. Definitely want to take time to stop at the big Texan next time. Didn't care much going by that huge cattle farm on the west end of 40 though. Breathtaking.

We got about 8in here total with a thick layer of ice in between. Ya know when I was a kid I remember 2-3 feet of snow was a normal winter and now this little amount is being called a blizzard.
You guys have got to stop talking about Amarillo! Thanks to you I'm constantly humming this now... (it's probably my favorite country song). :)

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
@Taylor Going sledding on Capital Hill? If I'm not mistaken this is one of the first times there has been enough snow to do so since they lifted the ban on it.
Aww, too bad I can't make it out there. My car's now completely buried and no sign of snow plows. x_x

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
A little more than a foot now here in New York City.

Everyone will be just fine. Just stay off the roads during heaviest part of the storm. Make some French toast with all that bread, eggs and milk you bought. In another two days it will all melt and be a slushy mess.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My 8 mile commute took 45 minutes today because nobody can drive.