• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] New players can't find chests!

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Came across a new player in general chat today asking for help with Treasure Hunting. He wanted to know what other players do to locate the chest. (EDIT: This wasn't the only new player that had questions about treasure hunting, I've been asked this before within the past few months.)

What options do I have to tell this guy?

My first question was, are you in Classic Client or Enhanced Client... (because in EC you can pretty much just eye-ball it.) Player responding saying he's using Classic Client and that he refuses to use EC. So, other choices? Suggesting to download a legal third-party program to assist in this thorough system of treasure hunting just didn't seem right to me, there had to be another option. Davies' Locker? You have to be a veteran to even claim this reward, either that or you have to dish out some gold and buy one. I have no idea how long it would take a new player to get 40mil, but I bet it's longer than what most of you would guess. This is a new player, he has no idea how to make gold, 40mil to him is like 40bil to me.

So I said to myself.... I refuse to believe that a Davies' Locker is the only way to get coordinates from at treasure map, and that they must pop up in journal or something when you open a map. I hopped on my own treasure hunter - nope! It seems that the only real options this player had is to either download EC, use third-party program(s) (needs UOAssist too, right?) or save up 40 million gold to buy a Davies' Locker so that he can get coordinates for the map.

I understand there is a plethora of changes coming to UO, and that the developers already have a lot on their plate (not to mention fixing bugs.) To me, treasure hunting is one of the systems that a lot of other games don't have, making it attractive for new players.

Please make it easier for them to get coordinates for this chest. He has 100 Cartography and 100 Mining, it shouldn't be difficult if he has the skills, right? He's got stuff to kill when he digs it up too so there is enough challenge IMO.

NinjaSampire

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sibble I agree with what you are saying. I use the CC with my T-hunter as well. What I do is find land marks around where the chest should be located and I put runes on ground in a square. Initially I had no mining skill so I would literally have to dig the entire area in the square I made with the runes. Not bad if land marks were prominent enough, but very time consuming in some areas. Since I have put mining on character I usually find within 4 attempts,going at it this way.

Seelendolch

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hehe, my main was to be a treasure hunter, but it is a bit much for me to learn atm, so i started a tamer instead, i might use my treasure hunter just for fishing and get rid of cartography, i wont be able to afford 40 million anytime soon lol.

Krinkle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I find that if you have 100 mining, you can eye-ball most maps. I get a bit too lazy anymore to open several programs just to get a map location and I can usually find the spot with little trouble. Of course, you have to get used to looking at the map at an angle in your mind.