• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Serious question for Mesanna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How about free accounts get access to fel, paid accounts get to go to tram/malas. :)
LOL and there is no access to the other faucets for any accounts free or paid for :eek: were all banned from the royal city access.
( couldn't resist)

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know alot of people playing on freeshards...
When i ask them why? They reply with the same thing...There are people to PVP with...
UO needs players..For crying out loud...Go F2P, Go whatever it takes.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sigh, just make a expansion and add something new to the game for goodness sake. Revert factions back to what it was 2 years ago and forget the pie in the sky VV joke.

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If UO ever does go F2P, we need a total wipe first.

Restart UO Fel only, add Trammel and the other expansions back on the same time table as before, hopefully minus some of the worst old bugs.

I'd say start with a couple shards each coast/country, then expand/re-add shards as needed if the UO population grows.

F2P players can't ever leave Fel or own a house there but paid players can. Paid players can move to Trammel areas when they are added, if they wish.

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From a business perspective,,,,here is how I see UO's layout of challenges:

Former Player Base who love UO that will not come back to P2P:
I work with a guy who got me into UO back in 2006. He plays the Player Ran Shards....has been for years and years.
UO cannot compete with that Business model (for lack of a better term). It is free to play, they have hundreds of players logged in on the shard he plays (not to mention all of the other ones he doesn't). There are enough players always logged in that he is doing multiple champ spawns for hours with his guild.....always enough players on. These guys are not coming back to the Dev's universe, they are certainly not going to pay UO/Boardsword for the privilege of playing. I don't think this is their target anyway.

New Players:
So, they need to attract new players....but the game and its components are too complicated, and getting more so all the time. New players are turned off by the necessities of day to day playing and advancing. The "Keep it Simple Stupid" strategy shipped sailed long ago.
Any business will tell you that you have to keep the blood flow of new customers coming in....always. Attrition happens with the current base no matter what, so you have to have more people coming to replace them (that's just to keep things static....you need to grow as well)
UO has a perception problem and too weak of a marketing solution (from what I have observed) to overcome it to attract new players.

Former Player Base who DO NOT play Player Ran Shards (because of FEL Rules, or content is too old, they like Post AOS stuff):
There has been a slow bleed of the current player base (guys like me who quit a year ago but still follows the game though these boards). I'm the guy they need to bring back....and I would be willing to pay to play again. The problem is, I can't exactly tell you what will do it.
I can tell you that events, events, events was something I loved.
I can tell you that some of the answers are on this board....both current and former players are saying what they want.

There is a bandwidth issue when it comes to resources with the UO team....I think many of us know this. And I applaud their efforts and the recent outreach to the community. I'm just not sure given the limited resources, what can be accomplished and how fast.

I hope an RTB is robust and attractive, and it will be hard to stay away once it is launced. I hope a lot of players come back.....I hope the DEVS get a break.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If this game is to survive, I think we all know that we need New players to flood these servers ( not that they could handle it) , not simply a smattering here and there of "Returning players. It should be top priority for your team as it is what will keep the existing people playing the game.
I think this statement is absolutely correct. However, I doubt that it is possible to make new players join the UO community in significant numbers. UO and especially the game graphics would require a massive overhaul. You may now say that UO isn't about graphics, it's about features, sandbox etc. True, but graphics are one of the most important factors for new players. You can't neglect that. When I take a look at a new game, I first take a look at screenshots.

P.S.: I still have the impression that the opinion of a player with 20 accounts weighs more than any visionary or strategic interesting idea. Which is part of the reason why UO is what it is today and why it will not change.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why is this thread still going when devs have said F2P isn't happening? Pure troll bait.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why is this thread still going when devs have said F2P isn't happening? Pure troll bait.
Because I'm tired of being accused of 'gagging' the community? Of getting nasty pm's? Not to mention being named and attacked on websites that have nothing to do with Stratics, and only marginally with UO?

I'm not sure how people work out that UO could be econimically viable with 'free' to play, since that model requires frequent and expensive purchases to be made. Purchases that would, under current conditions, have to be made through Origin Store.
The devs have said frequently that 'free' to play is not an option. I can only assume that some posters feel that if they bring it up often enough they can browbeat the devs into submission.

Status
Not open for further replies.