• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Should I Be Using a UI? Addons? Certain Macros?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I've never played. UO's UIs make its enhanced client far better. What should I be using for WoW?

Metro

WoW Staff Writer | WoW Moderator
Stratics Veteran
UI and Addons in general can make a huge difference for the game.
I would recommend trying Syiler's UI package that he built himself. You can find the information at http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info22416-SyiUI-SyilerSyigamersUI-1920x1080.html
He explains exactly what addons are there with screenshots of how it looks and what you need to do to install it.

In the end, there wont be much that any addons or UIs can do to help you level, but they will make the game look nicer, and put some of the information in more easily recognizable places.
Once you are Max level, the addon known as Weak Auras is probably the most useful thing when getting to know a class.
There addon is very versatile and can make visual indicators for literally EVERYTHING a class can do. There will be people out there who have built packages for it to help others know about key abilities' availability, cool down, duration, proc, etc.

That's something to look at down the line though, as since you don't have most of the abilities until later, the addon wouldn't service you well.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Okies, installed. Having a little learning curve re: macros. Not sure what I should be macroing and binding to which keys, etc. When the binding has more than one letter in the textual reference, I'm not always sure what key it's referring to.

Also, I'd be nice to have some type of loot macro.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Additionally, looks like my pet command frame is covering my chat.

Syiler

Visitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Additionally, looks like my pet command frame is covering my chat.
You can rebind the keys to something more comfortable by doing /dom in the chat then hitting Bind Keys and mouse over the button you want to change and bind it to what you are comfortable with. In terms of a looting macro im not sure you can get one, but you can setup a Loot all by going to Interface > Game > Controls and ticking Auto Loot. You still need to right click on the mob but it will loot everything!