• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Ultima Online's 16th Anniversary Party

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you! It was great fun! Congrats to all winners! And to that really cute EM... chu chu! Thank you for all hard work you guys did.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ummm..... man do I wish we could get a sneak peek at that rascal :drool:
Me too. I wonder how much it'd cost...

I managed to grab a photo of this :)

lol, I see I'm about to lore it (and fail.)

I enjoyed being the "difficult" guy in the crowd during the Heckles performance (somebody had to do it!) - thanks again to Mesanna, Kyronix, the EMs, and everyone else involved for this.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol .. agreed. Although I swear I am waiting on some folks to gripe about no ssi and only 18 hld, then say it's worthless :lol:
I already complained about the lack of SSI, as did some people in-game. I don't care if you'd probably one-shot everyone with that thing or not, IT'S TOO SLOW.:p

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What was the skinny on a wipe of the test now that the celebration is done?

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
W
who got 1st and 2 nd?
It's going to be a bugger to filter out all the joking and spam from the event for the winning performances etc, so I hope people have copies they'll post here. In the meantime here's my screenshots...

Although I didn't take any of the Scavenger Hunt, in part because although I arrived at what an online clock said was 12:30 CET, 15 minutes early for the ceremony as I thought from this thread, it seems the hunt had already started, and I was running around trying to understand what was happening, and then getting lost in the Hedge Maze where teleport and recall had been disabled. My understanding is that you need to find purple items and double click on them, but I ended up poking everything that showed on the Items tab, and found... zero!

First of the day, the infamous Dark Lady, followed by the 3 winners on stage to collect their prizes from the Maze Race... as mentioned, it was a bit of a disaster as one of the items apparently was out of reach of the first runners, and many of us arrived way too late. Still, the vast majority took it in the manner it was meant, as just a bit of fun despite the rewards...

1st Place

2nd Place

3rd Place

I didn't take any screenshots of the Fools stories; the 6 minute limit meant they were racing through them as quickly as possible, and I was trying to read quick enough to keep up.... The winner was deservedly so I believe, as they actually used props to add atmosphere, hopefully we'll get them published as mentioned, because if I was struggling, and I read quick, I imagine most missed them.

I didn't see any of the designed houses (where on Stratics are they shown?) nor did I hear the Mesanna stories, and I think I was not the only one starting to have their interest flag by this point after some considerably text heavy presentations previously and confusion on the stage after; so I didn't take any pictures of these awards. Also we were all at this point making jokes about Flutter's desired sense of disciplinary actions and getting into Mesanna's brazier, and this is a family webpage, so perhaps that's for the best!

The Trivia quiz was fun and, although it may not have been obvious, I tried to help a little by distracting the audience with comments about Cows... my thinking was it's easier to filter out a united set of comments about one thing than if everyone's shouting randomly. And, it has to be said by this point and especially when the first prize was revealed (A Grandfathered Malas Castle), some sour attitudes in the audience were coming out, from people who resented not having their materialistic selfishness pampered... one chap (we all know who) was telestormed away, and another ruined one of the questions by shouting the answers (instead of "a cow" which many people willingly took up) and insulting the contestants.

But... fair play to the contestants themselves, despite the enormous value of what was at stake, they were all respectful of both each other and the competition and were a credit to themselves and the game. In particular even in the final round, when people were howling the judges were trying to cheat him, second place Ra'Dian Fl'Gith behaved impeccably (or had gone afk, we weren't sure!)

And I didn't take any screenshots as I was too busy rambling about cows and taking the quiz ourselves amongst friends via ICQ...

But I did get the Magic Show at the end; Mesanna became...

... Heckles The Magnificent! And promptly managed to blow a hole in his own stage. And then, with the most inappropriate use of a hammer since Bill Clinton was banned from Best Buy, managed to kill himself with it during the repairs.

Despite these awesome earrings too;

Heckles pulled a rabbit from an ordinary Wizard's hat...

... which was promptly killed. And then he put out a plate of cookies (number of cookies known to cause a break out in Grandfathered prizes) and milk, hurrah for cow's milk! Which was turned into a "Cookie Monster" and a "Milk Elemental" but were secretly two people in suits;

He asked us to turn our backs ready for a levitation trick; which involved the main reagent of a table to stand on ...

And then an extremely tall tale of his father, and his father's father being an expert Dragon Tummy Tickler. As offered proof of the family skills, an exhibition in jester-fingered-fun; I think you can guess how that ended! I also reckon the dragon was a bloke in a suit too, as it too couldn't have Animal Lore applied...

And then Heckles asked us to excuse him, as he just whipped this out... and pulled a cannon from out of his pocket. Was there to be a brave volunteer from the audience? Alexander of Atlantic, who earlier won 3rd place in the Mesanna Fiction competition went on stage... and signed some very suspicious looking documents indeed!

And was given a magical shield to protect him;

Ok, I'll admit it; I said to a friend in ICQ I was expecting the cannon ball to bounce off the shield and kill Heckles again. And did it?

Oops, nope! Bits of Alexander everywhere! But maybe because of PTSD, incompetence, or just trying to find where Alexander's head had gone, Heckles then summoned... a telescope? And attracted by the blood and gore, Mesanna appeared once more, and looked into it. And in the stars she said she saw;

DEATH TO ALL OF YOU!

But she must have been hanging around with Heckles too much, as there was not one but THREE failed attempts to kill us; on the third she struck Heckles, but only on the 4th did she manage to kill some, but only some of us!

Finally, exhausted and perhaps embarrassed at the lack of mass killing, people retired to the bar and buffet in the south east of the fair; although I only discovered this by running out side to see where the magical dampening zone ended. Fortunately I managed to catch Mesanna again and get a shot of her unique explosion;

Would look better in a Black And White Cow Pattern if you ask me, but we can't have everything...

So that was the evening; my thanks to both Stratics and the UO dev and EM team for all their efforts; Not everything worked out, but UO is a 16 year process that, with commitment like tonight, I think we can all say has a few years in it left...

Last edited:

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't think to take any screenshots, but those are excellent. The Hedge Maze was hilarious. I just ran all over for an hour trying to find stuff to kill, since I couldn't even locate the book with the clues in it (though I did manage to get 3 of the items anyway. Blind squirrel.) I threw some heals, res'd a few people, laughed at whoever allowed the Night Terror into the house where a bunch of us were, and near the end, when I was trying to find my way out, couldn't find it, instead having Augustus teleport me back to Luna. PS: I am never going back there again, but I suppose it won't be so bad next time: if I get lost, I can just recall out. ;)

The cow-centered theme of your chat during Trivia was great, and like many others, I definitely lament not entering (but hey, hindsight is 20/20, and there's a reason the prize was never revealed.)

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I didn't take any screenshots of the Fools stories; the 6 minute limit meant they were racing through them as quickly as possible, and I was trying to read quick enough to keep up.... The winner was deservedly so I believe, as they actually used props to add atmosphere, hopefully we'll get them published as mentioned, because if I was struggling, and I read quick, I imagine most missed them.
Why thank you!

I was Holly Bloodhand. I wrote the poem that I recited/performed for the Fool Hardy contest and my husband played the other characters. It was originally written for a small player event on my home shard and we added the props and acted it out for the Fool Hardy event. It is called "The Necromancer's Woe". Here is the full poem with what we were doing italicized in parentheses:

(stage is set up by a stealthed character with a cypress tree, two stacks of brown cloth as a grave, an unknown rogue skeleton on top of the cloth, and some miniature mushrooms--I recite the poem as Holly)

When the spring winds grow warm and the days grow long
And the season of summer arrives,
The sails will unfurl
All over the world
And the whole world--save for one man--thrives.

(stealthed character puts a couple of dry docked ships down in front of me)

In a peaceful small town by a gentle blue bay,
A dark necromancer resides...
Like a fungus, a blight,
He waits for the night--
All day by the graveyard he hides.

(necromancer character appears behind tree)

His eyes appear hollow and his heart is cold stone,
For 'tis death and decay that he loves,
But summer means life,
And he only finds strife
With everything six feet above.

Like sweet summer berries ripe on the vine,
The merchant ships oft pass him by.
(stealthed character moves ships across stage)
He wants not their wares
For he only cares
When a sailor should happen to die.

The brighter the sunlight, the deeper the shadow,
And the summer sun dark shadows casts.
It is there that he waits
'Til the living he hates
Have moved on from their grim, mournful task.

The mourners have left and the graveyard stands still
And the night is beginning to fall.
In the dark he emerges--
His dark magic surges,
And the dead rise to answer his call.

(necromancer character comes out from behind tree to the grave)

His unholy rapport with the walking undead
And his blasphemous use of remains
Goes unnoticed by those
Who live near, in the cove,
But this day, by one sailor, he's seen.

(I turn to face the necromancer, who is turned away from me)

She'd watched her friend fall off the mast of the ship,
His broken corpse pulled from the sea,
And now watched with dread
As her recently dead
Former shipmate rose at the man's plea.

("dead shipmate" character, wearing a zombie costume, unstealths at grave--in the enhanced client it looks like he's actually crawling out of it)

Now she was no saint; her crimes weren't few
But her loyalty was to her mates--
She could not tolerate
For one to violate
Those she'd served with, nor toy with their fates.

(I go into war mode)

So she sneaks up behind this deplorable man,
(I approach necromancer)
Slits his throat 'fore he knows that she's there,
(and kill him)
And with deepest regret
She destroys what is left
Of her friend, and inters him with care.
(and I kill the zombie shipmate)

The sorcerer's spellbook she takes from his corpse
(I put my sword away and equip an Ossian Grimoire)
And peruses it 'til she has found
The reprisal most fit
For the foul, evil git
Who lies dead at her feet on the ground.

She casts a new spell, rather inexpertly,
(I say "Uus Corp"--I was supposed to cast but casting was disabled in the fairground)
But she finds on that day she's a gift
For the dark arcane arts--
As the sorcerer starts
To arise, and among the dead drift.

(the necromancer was supposed to self-resurrect with Gift of Life then cast lich form for this last part but couldn't due to casting being disabled. so he just hung out in ghost form)

And to this very day she has never forgot
What she learned that night in the dark grove--
And she prospered, 'came rich
While he's the only lich
In the graveyard just outside of Cove.

-----------------

We rehearsed this several times to get it all worked out and timed right but we didn't anticipate not being able to cast. It still worked out but it would have been better if the necromancer had actually been a lich at the end!

I didn't see any of the designed houses (where on Stratics are they shown?) nor did I hear the Mesanna stories...
Petra Fyde posted the housing contest entries here: http://stratics.com/community/threads/cultural-center-design-contest.305203/ early this morning.

The Mesanna stories were not, to my knowledge, posted anywhere and have been read only by the judges.

Last edited:

Lady Tia

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Thank you, thank you for the wonderful party. I don't know what I enjoyed the best. It was all fun. While I didn't find all the items in the maze, I was just proud to have finally found the way out ;) . The stories and skits were all well thought out and performed. Glad I didn't have to judge. The trivia questions were really difficult, I actually knew one answer. Lol though as governor of Skara,*blushes* I should have known the answer to that one. Heckles was a blast. Alex, what a brave soul you were :) . I guess though, the most fun I had, was meeting so many of the people from the forums: our wonderful stratics volunteers, forum posters ( nice to be able to put a face to your post), the EMs, the GMs, and of course our wonderful developers. Thank you for the best party ever : )

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The live streaming videos are up and posted on the main page!

Here:

16th Anniversary Party

Thank you for posting the video. Is there any possibility of having it re-rendered (or whatever you do) without the Stratics logo placed right over the journal? That placement makes it impossible to actually read what was being said. Maybe the Stratics logo could be moved to the bottom right corner....?

Last edited:

Lady Tia

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for posting the video. Is there any possibility of having it re-rendered (or whatever you do) without the Stratics logo placed right over the journal? That placement makes it impossible to actually read what was being said. Maybe the Stratics logo could be moved to the bottom right corner....?
I'll ask!