• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Account Hack !

Faenwen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello all!

the account of a friend was hacked, he called a GM right away, GM told him he cant help he has to mail!
he followed the rules of EA

https://help.ea.com/article/what-should-i-do-if-i-think-my-uo-account-has-been-hacked

so he mailed answer was, not right department you have to write to another... so he wrote the next mail... same! sofar 5 mails and nothing!
he started to ask for help on the 12th of august at 11 am Eastcostetime and still didn't get any help! He would have called but he is german and his english isn't the best and the only place he could call is in the US because there seems to be no german helpdesk!

What the hell should he do to get help?! Anyone knows???

Its a shame to be left alone when **** like that happens to you!

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It is this kinda stuff that makes me cringe at the thought of this:

Taylor V. Smith™@TaylorVSmithTM54s
Also for next year: an in-game store! Bypass codes and online shopping. Buy within #UltimaOnline and the item drops in your backpack! #UO

getting rolled out. Don't get me wrong now, I would love being able to buy stuff and not have to get emailed a code and stuff... but in doing that I hope they add some type of additional security measure into buying something in game with your credit card.... As it stands now, if someone is successful in hacking your account they just get pixels (yes, it sucks but it's just pixels) once they add being able to buy stuff in game and auto bill your card for it they could max your limit (or exhaust your funds) quickly.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How did his account get hacked?
That's a good question but I have a probable answer. Same way my friend got his hacked. He naively uses his account name as his log in and it's his char name and he made an account somewhere like here using the same information and same password and email. And I'll say this you should NEVER ever use that information or your email that you use for your account on anything but your account...

And to be truthful a lot of folk don't get hacked from the UO Account Management site they get hacked from their EMAIL. ALWAYS use a Secure Email.

Last edited:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is this kinda stuff that makes me cringe at the thought of this:

getting rolled out. Don't get me wrong now, I would love being able to buy stuff and not have to get emailed a code and stuff... but in doing that I hope they add some type of additional security measure into buying something in game with your credit card.... As it stands now, if someone is successful in hacking your account they just get pixels (yes, it sucks but it's just pixels) once they add being able to buy stuff in game and auto bill your card for it they could max your limit (or exhaust your funds) quickly.

WHOA! What???? This had better be optional. Accounts get hacked way too often. It also happens way to often for it to always be a user end issue.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
WHOA! What???? This had better be optional. Accounts get hacked way too often. It also happens way to often for it to always be a user end issue.
Was talked about yesterday at some kind of convention the Devs were at. With the problems associated with the Origin store I don't think it will just be an optional deal when buying codes etc. I took it as more of a "the current system is not reliable and are going this route to make it reliable".... could be wrong tho

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How all UO accounts get hacked..they meet a female "in-game" share accounts, she gets mad..YOUR LOOTZ IZ MINE!!!! Lol jk!
Exactly !!!! my uo hubby and I we share accounts we both have 2 accounts. I go on his accounts he goes on mine. I lootz his accounts everyday I take bandages, regs, wood, ignots etc shhh!!! he still hasn't caught on.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Was talked about yesterday at some kind of convention the Devs were at. With the problems associated with the Origin store I don't think it will just be an optional deal when buying codes etc. I took it as more of a "the current system is not reliable and are going this route to make it reliable".... could be wrong tho
I would prefer unreliable to someones credit card being subjected to disastrous usage. Not to mention your now communicating credit information between client and server. There are so many things that can wrong and to be quite honest, mythic/ea has not exactly instilled confidence in their ability to grasp the intricacies of web technology. Maybe they can do it without communicating the information to the client but I can't imagine how.

Can you imagine the nightmare that would occur in a situation were your credit card is taken advantage of? Christ you can't even change your main email account without being 93 years old and having BOTH your parents signatures.

bad bad REALLY bad idea.

S.P.A

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I too have had access to my in game hubbys accounts ... all 5 of them( hubbys that is ). And Friends accounts in the past as well and never have I taken or messed with their accounts unless expressly told I could.
Now to the hacking problem... EMAIL MESANNA!!!!! fastest way to cut this in the bud is have her lock it up and get a trace on the last ip addy on the account.
Now we are not sure if the guy bought from the official web store, a service not sanctioned, or what. However hacking is not unusual and the person might have talked to the customer service for EA... they still do have the info for accounts thought its not the original way to get at it. Some one could have fished....

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think they are thinking having it in their "hands" would be better than having Origin continue to bork it.

Kage

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't waste your time... UO will do nothing for you... They don't replace lost/stolen items... This isn't Blizzard EA or whoever doesn't care what happens to it's customers...

Leather Lucy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly !!!! my uo hubby and I we share accounts we both have 2 accounts. I go on his accounts he goes on mine. I lootz his accounts everyday I take bandages, regs, wood, ignots etc shhh!!! he still hasn't caught on.
My husband's account gets hacked regularly in pretty much the same manner. Weird!

*mum's the word*.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
... Don't get me wrong now, I would love being able to buy stuff and not have to get emailed a code and stuff... but in doing that I hope they add some type of additional security measure into buying something in game with your credit card.... As it stands now, if someone is successful in hacking your account they just get pixels (yes, it sucks but it's just pixels) once they add being able to buy stuff in game and auto bill your card for it they could max your limit (or exhaust your funds) quickly.
I don't play a lot of other online games, but the one that I do play with in-game purchases does NOT have auto-billing to your credit card. You must provide the CC info and your zip code with each purchase. And most items that you purchase in-game are account bound, so they can be destroyed but not sold.

Google wallet is the only account-bound CC purchase with auto-billing that I use, and I am very, very suspicious with that. There's no way to log out of it on my tablet!

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would prefer unreliable to someones credit card being subjected to disastrous usage. Not to mention your now communicating credit information between client and server. There are so many things that can wrong and to be quite honest, mythic/ea has not exactly instilled confidence in their ability to grasp the intricacies of web technology. Maybe they can do it without communicating the information to the client but I can't imagine how.

Can you imagine the nightmare that would occur in a situation were your credit card is taken advantage of? Christ you can't even change your main email account without being 93 years old and having BOTH your parents signatures.

bad bad REALLY bad idea.

Agreed. If that goes live I'll definitely be out - I won't risk credit theft for this. It's bad enough I have to have a credit card in their system as it is but they can't even mail an item code out correctly (among other things) so I have zero confidence they'd implement this feature securely.

-PE

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I don't play a lot of other online games, but the one that I do play with in-game purchases does NOT have auto-billing to your credit card.
Ahh... ok. That's better then. I don't play any other online games, strictly a UO gaming career for me so I ain't got a clue how it works. But when you are buying in game, do you typically have to enter your cc info and stuff in the client?? Seems that could open up a whole big can of worms there.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It might just be billed to your credit card on file. With Android games I play, billing is done through Google Wallet and whatever card I've put in.

Schatzi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh... ok. That's better then. I don't play any other online games, strictly a UO gaming career for me so I ain't got a clue how it works. But when you are buying in game, do you typically have to enter your cc info and stuff in the client?? Seems that could open up a whole big can of worms there.
When I buy something for a game on my mini, it is always with an iTunes gift card, thus no CC info. I hope this is the method they use.
@OP, yes try emailing Mesanna!

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if he still hasnt gotten help yet, im sure his account is wiped clean, i got hacked years back on all 8 accounts, musta been a key logger or something, anyway i checked my accounts often not one of those people that logs in once in a blue moon and discovers they've been hacked, if im hacked I'll know instantly, anyway i was on my computer got an email saying my uo password was changed, immediately on the phone with EA to shut down all my accounts till i reactivate them, couldn't get through at like 7 am eastern time for some reason, had someone else page a gm on my behalf who had access to the accounts and got the gm to boot off whoever was on the accounts, finally got thru to EA a few hours later and they closed it all down, some characters stripped of armor, all together lost a couple billion worth of stuff which was peanuts compared to what they could have gotten, had a yahoo email at the time, after that i reformatted my computer to wipe whatever was on it and made a new email hotmail specifically for UO and nothing else and started making my passwords complicated as hell, my advice is to check your accounts on a daily basis if u care if they get hacked

PS: i did actually go to the police with it and tried as hard as humanly possible to get something done but it was very difficult to do so, police took it as a joke, and EA didnt wanna give out the IP logs, which makes no sense if its MY ACCOUNT why can't i get a record of MY IP LOGS, if i got the ip address of whoever was on my account i would have tracked the person down myself...

on a side note i know of someone else who got hacked, who happens to have a brother in law in the cyber division of the FBI, they tracked the hacker down in Canada and forced him to pay back the cash that he made from the guys items, those stories are awesome

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
PS: i did actually go to the police with it and tried as hard as humanly possible to get something done but it was very difficult to do so, police took it as a joke, and EA didnt wanna give out the IP logs, which makes no sense if its MY ACCOUNT why can't i get a record of MY IP LOGS, if i got the ip address of whoever was on my account i would have tracked the person down myself...
You are right years ago Police didn't take cyber crimes seriously...... however since it's been revealed that some of these cyber crimes are bringing over 6 figures of income and such it's being take a LOT more seriously now. Thankfully.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
when I first started playing uo I met a girl who was a military lifer. she told me something I always lived by:

Don't get married in game.

solves a lot of problems.

im sorry for the Op's buddies loss. given the time that has passed i'd say his account is probably a shambles.

Mitzlplik_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I`m sorry but the police will not get involved in such things. Anything to the contrary is just a lie. The biggest reason is, everything belongs to EA,not you,not me but EA. So even if they did catch a guy..... what could they do with him? Nothing. Not over a video game.

cyber division of the FBI, they tracked the hacker down in Canada and forced him to pay back the cash that he made from the guys items, those stories are awesome
Stories,always good for a laugh. lmao absurd to think they would waste so much man power and money and time to do what you described. I`m pretty sure they have much more pressing matters to deal with.

Funny stuff tho! :coco: