• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

how many people leave stratics cause of arguements?

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im honestly curious if the inflamation on these forums is a bad thing. i see countless posts especialy on siege forums about missing the old board wars.

personaly i used to sit on these boards for hours and i have sadly clicked a few links. now it seems its turned into a clicky rp, deco, when can i turn in my spring cleaning forum that is fairly plain to my tastes.

oh well as long as the mods are fair and treat everyone the same im happy.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The key passage in this post is here:

now it seems its turned into a clicky rp, deco, when can i turn in my spring cleaning forum that is fairly plain to my tastes.
I have emphasized where appropriate.

Very little RP goes on on these forums. I guess some does. RP is a generic term among some folks for "stuff that is not PvP, stuff I do not like."

As to the question asked, no I have not left because of such stuff but I have considered it and through the darkest periods, when Stratics was little else but message board PvP, I stayed solely because it seemed important to keep my voice in the mix. Something for which I was alternately insulted and thanked for in-game.

The pattern is that people take the smack talking to the boards, the mods leave it alone in the name of free speech, others who wish to discuss and not smack slowly leave, and by the time the mods interfere and bring things under control, the others have left.

The comparative silence that follows gives the false impression that the people favor the smack talking, but such is not the case. It's just that the folks who do not favor it have found greener pastures where possible.

-Galen's player

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im honestly curious if the inflamation on these forums is a bad thing. i see countless posts especialy on siege forums about missing the old board wars.
The old Siege boards many people refer to are the ones that rarely got moderated. The flaming involved was in-game related and rarely got personal. The bulk of the Siege posters left the more personal attacks to other websites but apparently that wasn't good enough for some who had their feelings hurt and felt it important enough to beg for more moderation on the Stratics board.

They got it, but at the same time, they also got an empty and almost useless forum...la

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They got it, but at the same time, they also got an empty and almost useless forum...la
A forum is only as good as the quality of the posts in it.

A forum with a million daily posts is completely useless if 999,999 of those posts are "You sux @ Pvp Cause U cant win w/out haXXors !!!11! OMG !!1"

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These boards are for the Game.

They are and were never designed to be a place were you could argue with other to carry over in game disputes.

Mods are, it appears, about to hammer down on some who have chosen to take these boards to a argumentative are and not constructive area.

True there will still be disputes, but they should be more directed at those who don't know what they are talking about, and need to be corrected on such things as game mechanics and other pertinent ideas. Housing designs, pet control, templates, etc.

A few spirited debates are always good but not a hack and slash fest on posters.

C

Carharrt

I for one hated the old SP boards.

IMHO it was counterproductive when it came to bringing people over to SP. PvP`rs say its dead there...but Shame was pirty populated yesterday,even got run off by a red and a blue/grey.

Not as dead as some would like to think.

Prop`s to Kelmo and the rest of the Stratics staff.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually the boards changed when all the pvpers started leaving the shard, not because of any crackdown by the mods. The discussions here reflect the current population.

No pvpers, no board pvp

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Granted... I don’t really deal with message boards for day to day life... and I’m only here for being a part of the larger UO game community, but it's very clear to me that some users mistake this as being “a life”. They clearly have issues dealing with people based on their misguided responses to topics, feeling they know better then everyone else. Frankly, I just ignore them because theirs no point in debiting the all knowing ignorant person. Just like the game, you can't take this stuff too seriously, even the clearly trolling users who feel it's their life missing to rule a fictional world.

It does get nutty sometime... even when praising a staff for being kind and fair... and then having extremely hostile people pick and fight on little tiny words. Some message boards are far worse then this. For that case I have walked away and never looked back. Here? No way. Ignore jerks that need to get a life. ;)

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well anytime you get a bunch of people together in any kind of setting, be it cyber or real life, people will disagree.

The flame wars were much more in evidence back when I first started hanging out on Stratics. That was about 2001.. I lurked back then and the population on Stratics was much larger.

But it wasn't all bad. I highly enjoyed hanging out with the ABM crowd, sadly therer just isn't enough people here now for things like that.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I wouldn't think that too many people leave because of arguments. As Ludes pointed out, there are bound to be disagreements anywhere people are gathered together. I think the majority of posters try to refrain from personal attacks. When it does happen, the best thing to do is walk away from the discussion.

Delbrie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think so much as leave but more like not wanting to post their information or ask a question because somebody with a strong personality will bash them for not doing it they way they do it. It is a shame cause we lose good information.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I don't think so much as leave but more like not wanting to post their information or ask a question because somebody with a strong personality will bash them for not doing it they way they do it. It is a shame cause we lose good information.
That's a good point. I think you may be right.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most shards have pvp stickies where the rules are relaxed a little more, but the Mods are pretty good at keeping personal attacks in check. I think for those that can't seperate game and real life, then they go post on other forums. I think for the most part people come here looking for answers because there isn't any offical site now the UOHerald seems to have all their links permanently temporarly being rewritten.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's a good point. I think you may be right.
I also think Delbrie has a good point.. It's ok to be passionate about your opinion.

But it's wrong to take it as a personal attack when someone's opinion differs from yours.

Sadly some people aren't satisfied with having an opinion.. they feel they have to get everyone to agree with their opinion...

Which is a classic exercise in futility as we all know.

Two people in a room will produce two different opinions on any number of subjects.
I wish more people were comfortable with the fact that not everyone has to feel the same way about things as they do.

It's not good that someone with good info might not post for fear of being flamed.

IMO

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think many people have gotten to the point that they no longer want to post because it seems like most threads in the last few months that say anything critical about EA end up being locked. Or if you say anything critical, pretty soon you're on the receiving end of "Miserable User" or "User Punishment" forum modifications. You might not get any kind of warning or infraction per se, but someone is busy behind the scenes making sure you go away, at least for a while.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure where you got that idea from, but please let me know via PM. I'll be happy to give you more accurate information.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have to say it does get tiring seeing others belittle others because they don't share the same opinion.

ACB1961

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wrote a long post, but in the end I think I'll just agree with Tina.

We were recently told here by the stratics lawyer that we have no rights. What else is there to say?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think many people have gotten to the point that they no longer want to post because it seems like most threads in the last few months that say anything critical about EA end up being locked. Or if you say anything critical, pretty soon you're on the receiving end of "Miserable User" or "User Punishment" forum modifications. You might not get any kind of warning or infraction per se, but someone is busy behind the scenes making sure you go away, at least for a while.
Most threads? The past month I can't think of very many threads at all getting locked, and even fewer which had critical statements about EA. I can only think of one thread but that was locked that was critical of EA but that appeared to be about 90% flame-fest.

But as to the OP, I don't think very many people leave Stratics due to arguments. Stratics isn't much different than other forums other than the fact that to keep the relationship with the devs/EA we have certain rules that must be followed. People are also no harsher here than other forums. The people who do leave forums due to arguments wouldn't be any better off in any forum. If people never had any difference of opinion there wouldn't be much livelihood in forums, it would be a very boring place.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I think the stratics folks have plainly shown their disdain for our opinions. I think we all know there is absolutely nothing at all any of us can do about this. If I were them I'd publicly apologize for the abuse that has been heaped on their customers.
At the risk of sounding like a cheerleader, I have to disagree with your assessment. The Stratics staff has a big job on their hands, and I think they generally handle things quite well.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

We were recently told here by the stratics lawyer that we have no rights. What else is there to say?
Please link me to that, I have no memory of such a post.

I believe it is true that it was pointed out that the 'first ammendment' does not apply to Stratics, being a rule governing the United States Congress, which we, quite patently, are not a part of.

As for Tina, I would love to have a conversation with her about what she has alleged. I'd be interested to know who has given her the information she's claiming, since it is totally untrue.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The plain facts of the matter are this:

Most of us that hang out here love the game and have for a long time.
I myself get sick of people that only come here to post about how bad the game is and whats wrong with it..
Some of them admittedly don't even play the game anymore.
I often wonder why these people are even here still.

Some people post criticism followed by a constructive idea on how to make it better...
Some just want to complain and rally folks to their side of a purely imaged war.

Personally I'm glad Kelmo and is co-workers weed these out..

Maybe someone should make their own fansite called "I hate Ultima because..".. then they'd have someplace to go instead of hanging here.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The plain facts of the matter are this:

Most of us that hang out here love the game and have for a long time.
I myself get sick of people that only come here to post about how bad the game is and whats wrong with it..
Some of them admittedly don't even play the game anymore.
I often wonder why these people are even here still.

Some people post criticism followed by a constructive idea on how to make it better...
Some just want to complain and rally folks to their side of a purely imaged war.

Personally I'm glad Kelmo and is co-workers weed these out..

Maybe someone should make their own fansite called "I hate Ultima because..".. then they'd have someplace to go instead of hanging here.

I rarely quote entire posts :)

WELL said!!

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I believe it is true that it was pointed out that the 'first ammendment' does not apply to Stratics, being a rule governing the United States Congress, which we, quite patently, are not a part of.

As for Tina, I would love to have a conversation with her about what she has alleged. I'd be interested to know who has given her the information she's claiming, since it is totally untrue.
http://vboards.stratics.com/uhall/258833-hacked-lmao.html

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, it is no secret that the first amendment doesn't apply here. Thank you for posting it for us Hunter. Here is the original link though.

Stratics Forums - FAQ: Board FAQ

However it does not equate to a stratics lawyer saying no one here has any rights as previously claimed.

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The key passage in this post is here:

I have emphasized where appropriate.

Very little RP goes on on these forums. I guess some does. RP is a generic term among some folks for "stuff that is not PvP, stuff I do not like."

As to the question asked, no I have not left because of such stuff but I have considered it and through the darkest periods, when Stratics was little else but message board PvP, I stayed solely because it seemed important to keep my voice in the mix. Something for which I was alternately insulted and thanked for in-game.

The pattern is that people take the smack talking to the boards, the mods leave it alone in the name of free speech, others who wish to discuss and not smack slowly leave, and by the time the mods interfere and bring things under control, the others have left.

The comparative silence that follows gives the false impression that the people favor the smack talking, but such is not the case. It's just that the folks who do not favor it have found greener pastures where possible.

-Galen's player

for the record i am an rp guild named VO on atl and am called vampire boy by some 15 year old pvpers. i do not consider anything that is not pvp rp, it was 3am when i wrote this and i could have been more specific. for the record sir.

as to your second paragraph basicaly you are right. it was all about pvp now it is all about rp, pvm and deco. so basically weve done a 180. how can we fix this?

as for the 3rd paragraph, the smack talkers caused other to leave you say. but the pvpers are forcefully made to leave. obviously by my signature the mods determine what is allowed by a loose set of rules that can be interpreted about as well as our own laws in the real world.

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A forum is only as good as the quality of the posts in it.

A forum with a million daily posts is completely useless if 999,999 of those posts are "You sux @ Pvp Cause U cant win w/out haXXors !!!11! OMG !!1"
im sorry but those simple posts kept my simple mind on these boards for hours at a time 8-3 years ago. also mind you i am from siege and spent most of my time on that forum. but as that forum is all but dead to the rp, pvm and deco crowd, i brought my thoughts here.

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The old Siege boards many people refer to are the ones that rarely got moderated. The flaming involved was in-game related and rarely got personal. The bulk of the Siege posters left the more personal attacks to other websites but apparently that wasn't good enough for some who had their feelings hurt and felt it important enough to beg for more moderation on the Stratics board.

this.

C

Capn Kranky

ALWAYS has it been known that here there is no 1st Amendment as the US Constitution has it. We all signup and log in agreeing to the ROC of the moment. It changes and the staffers try to make us aware when it will impact us the most.

Therefore ... completely free speech is NOT an option here. Free speech within the bounds of ROC is allowed here. Cross that line too often and that is what the Admin/Mod staff carry locks and hammers for.

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually the boards changed when all the pvpers started leaving the shard, not because of any crackdown by the mods. The discussions here reflect the current population.

No pvpers, no board pvp

you make a good point.

yet still the few who do/did remain were outnumbered on the boards and got silenced.

the choke didnt happen overnight. the noose got tighter over years.

and frankly alot went on other boards where they dont have to deal with increasingly strict mods.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please get your facts straight before making statements like that. I know the post to which you're referring, the poster was explaining how "Freedom of Speech" does not apply to a privately owned forum.

Even so, 'freedom of speech' does not give anyone the right to just say whatever they want with no repercussions. Try it for yourself. Go running through a TSA checkpoint at your local airport yelling "I have a bomb in my bag". That should give you a very clear picture of how freedom of speech really works.

im sorry but those simple posts kept my simple mind on these boards for hours at a time 8-3 years ago. also mind you i am from siege and spent most of my time on that forum. but as that forum is all but dead to the rp, pvm and deco crowd, i brought my thoughts here.
And that's fine, but for a forum/site designed to act as a compliment to and information source for a specific game, there's a reason we don't need or want 99% of our content here to be smack talk. If that's what you're after that's all well and good, but you'd be looking for it in the wrong place by coming to Stratics.

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

true enough i guess ill just shut up then. = )

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you make a good point.

yet still the few who do/did remain were outnumbered on the boards and got silenced.

and frankly alot went on other boards where they dont have to deal with increasingly strict mods.
And we don't miss them either..

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
you make a good point.

And we don't miss them either..
Agreed because I got sick of that just like I have to listen to the belly aching in Gen Chat all day about who did what to whom and who's cheating and who's hacking and who can't do this or that or who's whatever is bigger and better than who's...

*rolls eyes*

Glad I don't have to put up with that here.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Petra the First Amendment actually governs all branches of the US Government. However it does not govern any company in the US or outside that does business with the US. (Minor Constitutional Law points my English friend.) That being said I feel stratics allows me to post my view points of course I do have a solid rule about never posting anything that I would not say to someone’s face if they had a gun pointed at me. I think the MODs here do a pretty good job at least in UHall and Chesy. Lestat is a bit new but he seems to take it with good humor and I know Kelmo does. Most of the time I think they wait until constructive dialog has ended before sticking a lock on something and that is a good thing. As for folks leaving due to board fights that’s hard to say I think many people either get busy at work or move into a sub board as UHall can get a bit dark if you spend to much time in here. Of course I do have pretty thick skin. The pvp thread on Chesy is for the most part good humored but that’s directly related to some of our largest posters who have a good sense of humor.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

No pvpers, no board pvp
The moderation changes I was speaking of took place long before you were either on the shard or a participant of the forums. Battle Vortex was always the place for serious board warfare to take place when the discussions in game or on the Siege forum here at stratics got a little chippy.

Then someone moved in as moderator and felt there was no ill will to be shared in any forum message. Posts were locked or deleted (ok, not deleted but moved to an area only viewable by admins and mods).

For those telling the readers that being a mod or admin is a difficult job are full of it. Yes, if you remember I was a mod for a very brief period of time, so I am speaking from experience. Was it difficult? Not at all. Could it be time consuming, sure...but difficult? Ha! Get a real job and try to compare them, being a forum moderator is not a difficult task at all.

Some may wonder why I am not a mod any more if it isn't a difficult job...well let's just leave it at I was fired for reasons out of my control...la

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For those telling the readers that being a mod or admin is a difficult job are full of it. Yes, if you remember I was a mod for a very brief period of time, so I am speaking from experience.
Yeah, it's not hard if you're letting your forum members run wild and do whatever they please. Sure, then it's a cake walk. rolleyes:

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The forum I modded did not have any posters running wild. There were discussions being had relating directly to the forum topic. Once I was relieved of my duties, the forum basically went dark with little to no interaction from posters or mods.

Moderating a forum consists mainly of reading the forum to make sure everyone stays calm. It should also include interaction between the mods and the regular posters, more than the typical thread lock comments I see mods make daily. Allowing arguments to push the RoC limits allows posters to vent a bit. Shutting them down with no discussion merely gets posters to either leave or let their resentment build up to the point in which they post something that gets them into even more trouble.

Like I said, moderating a game forum is easy, but it seems some mods want more credit than they deserve. Sure it's a service they provide for no pay, but being part of that forums community is well worth the time invested...la

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you like to get angry at others and have others angry at you? Must be a pvper. Pvpers live for the antagonism. I am a UO Hippie
Peace Love and Trammel

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, that's one version of the story I suppose.
But that's the last I have to say on the subject, I don't want to derail the thread with that mess.

P

PitrGri

I learnt a simple rule...

Less posting leads to more gaming.

Cya!