• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Devs, please tweak Corgul the Soulbinder's fire attack in the EC.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it causes huge lag and crashes the program..

it just needs scaled down a tad..

A

anna anomalous

it's been this way from the beginning and hasn't gotten any better. i regularly lock up and crash and this is a computer that achieve 60fps in most modern games.

i've turned down my settings to low and it doesn't help. it's got to be an issue on the game's end.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it's been this way from the beginning and hasn't gotten any better. i regularly lock up and crash and this is a computer that achieve 60fps in most modern games.

i've turned down my settings to low and it doesn't help. it's got to be an issue on the game's end.
it is, what is happening is the fireballs are stacking on top of each other.. the game runs out of memory and crashes to the desktop..

one other area that i know of that this happens is the city of the dead champ spawn..
in the back there is a building with a poison trap in it.
on my shard they stacked up 1000s of them to get the effect that the whole building is flooded with poison.

once you enter, you crash.. 100% of the time.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This has been discussed over and over and over again... yet nothing is done...

What's worse is we've said this time and again to the EM's even and BEGGED them never to use that graphic effect on monsters for EM events... yet the continue to do it...

It also happens to me sometimes with the slasher and the white out effect.

I can also crash to the desktop in the EC if I suddenly change directions when running.

It's extremely irritating.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
stuff like this should be priority on fixing, instead they add new colored dyes and such.
maybe the devs cant fix stuff, they just add new content to distract us from the bugs that go on unfixed. :(

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The corgul problem is not the size of the fire circle, but the frequency.

Actually you can manage 1 to 3 fire circle (3 only with a very high performance PC), but Corgul uses to spam it like a mad dozens of times in a row...

Seems this ability is not made to damage your character, but to kill your client :D

If any devs want a proof of it, just watch the corgul video on my youtube channel...

The solution here is just to raise the base damage of the fire ring and limit the max frequency to 1 ring per minute...
Also remember that the Primeval Lich has the same ability and the same problem.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
CC or EC? I've fought him in CC and there's no lag when he does his attack.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, it is not a problem of the spell effect, but rather a problem of the Enhanced Client.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, maybe they should fix the EC instead.
THAT's the problem for EC not CC.

If you look the video you can see very well that the problem is not the ring animation but HOW MANY rings is doing...

at the minute 9.50 you can see a true ring spamming that has stucked my client :D

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah, but the point is the CC handles it just fine, therefore it's a EC issue and the effect should simply be changed in the EC instead of making it hit harder (which, incidently, would be death for us with lower hitpoints....it nearly one hit kills my mage now and i have to run to not be hit by a second ring, any stronger and I couldnt do corgul :/) The damage is fine and the amount he does it actually isn't that bad, sure he spams it but you can back off and heal easily enough.

P

pgib

Thing is a program is not supposed to crash (didn't know that it happened to the CC too, that's interesting): if having 100 rings of fire kills it reducing the rings can be an effective workaround but it is clearly not a solution.

Maybe the fact that it happens constantly with this fire thing will help them fix it, a reproducible bug is waay easier to track down than an apparently random one. Let's cross our fingers.

The funny thing is that some patches ago they claimed to have solved an EC crash issue. Because the client still crashes like a maniac one cannot help but ask what crash issue was that one.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah, but the point is the CC handles it just fine, therefore it's a EC issue and the effect should simply be changed in the EC instead of making it hit harder (which, incidently, would be death for us with lower hitpoints....it nearly one hit kills my mage now and i have to run to not be hit by a second ring, any stronger and I couldnt do corgul :/) The damage is fine and the amount he does it actually isn't that bad, sure he spams it but you can back off and heal easily enough.
Actually he can spam dozens of rings and does low damage, 20-30 maybe in total?
Ok then make 1 ring that does 20-30 damage instead of 20-30 rings...

1 ring is managed fine by EC without lag or anything, 30 rings at once stuck everything.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's weird, i've never seen him spam like that, the most i've seen him do is 2-3 back to back, generally doing about 30-40 per ring, in CC if it were doing that many it wouldn't show one damage number it would show tons of small damage numbers over my head, but it doesnt. Maybe it's a glitch in how EC displays it, maybe it's not really doing that many attacks but the EC just displays the one attack way...way too many times.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well if it doesnt crash the CC then just use the CC. Problem solved. :next:

A

anna anomalous

it seems they adjusted the base damage of the wave attack. i did corgul the other night in the EC and crashed twice, but never died once and i was the dedicated healer.

the damage is now laughable but the effect is still happening multiple times in a row. the frequency can be lowered and the base damage can be raised, and it wouldn't effect many people. it's doing about 10-15 damage per wave now.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what would fix this is to make the flames dye out faster.
they seem to wave out about 15 or so tiles.
if they kept the ring smaller say 4 or 5 tiles and fade out fast i dont think it would be a problem.

it is the animation tho, not the actual effect.
they dont need to change anything with corgul, just the effect of the fire rings.

right about when i crash is when i start seeing the smoke effect of the flames dying out.. the smoke fills my screen and bam, CTD.

right about here.

Attachments

Elric_Soban

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The effect used to cause me lag, but doesnt really anymore. Not too bad, anyways.

Theyre just sprites. The game engine should be able to handle it just fine, and any modern comp should be able to handle it too.

However, since its oubviously causing problems.. howabout, instead of 1000 sprites in a pattern, why not just one huge sprite? One that actually looks like a fire nova of some kind.

?

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

In the EC they aren't sprites, but particle effects. However since they are running on the same script as the sprites, instead of 1 single particle effect the client could handle it's processing up to hundreds of separate instances of the particle effect which crashes the video card/client.

It should be one single particle effect, but I dunno know if or how they will be able to reprogram the effect to follow a different system than the CC in terms of displaying it.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
holy freaking cow, no wonder it lags....it looks like in the EC it spawns a bunch of animated billboard particles, lol, CC it's just a simple ring "burst" animation (which imho actually looks pretty cool), if done properly in the engine the EC is using they could make a higher res version of that same effect which would look pretty awesome and would be only a few primitives so it wouldn't cause much overhead at all. As a matter of fact, they could do the effect it's doing now but BETTER with a simple fire shader, and instead of spawning a gazillion seperate sprites just spawn a simple mesh that expands. (I actually did an effect very similar to this in one of my UT2004 mods way back that had a huge circular blast around the impact point, and it ran without causing lag on cheap video cards in 2005). From looking at the video of a corgul fight in EC id' hazard a guess that they didn't want to do the artwork for the attack so they simply took the explosion spell animaiton and played it hundreds of times expanding outward as a "fire ring". Talk about lazy...you'd think they weren't making money off UO with such little care shown.

I'd bet they didn't even bother to use instancing if supported as well from how it seems to lag with so few on screen even.....

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interestingly enough I never crashed at Corgul, but I do have a pretty powerful machine.

In the beginning I had quite the huge lag when he did this special attack. Although it was only a "graphical lag" - the gameplay went on normally, even if I couldn't see it. If I pressed any macros or moved during the lag, I saw the effects as soon as the fog cleared.

they did something to improve this quite a while back (early this year? just guessing). I only have minor lag now when this attack fires.

I do crash at navreys lair though, every hour or so.