• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Today's Tweets from Jeff Skalski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd prefer an in-game mail service that...ya know...actually works. Not like what they gave us years ago that was so poorly done as to reveal account information to everyone.

A friend's list that functioned as an IM tool as well...like was promised with KR, but never fully materialized.

These are pretty much staples of EVERY MMO on the planet. UO needs them.

BioWare Mythic could use them to deliver important information, patch notes, events, and... Oh, wait, who am I kidding... They'd ignore it like every other form of communication. rolleyes:

Might as well just add Twitter and Facebook buttons to our paper dolls. *sigh*

K

Kayne

A terrible sign when the new producer takes almost 2 months to even begin writing the producers letter. A worse sign when players dig up the fact he exists and its players that continue to find out information from the man in charge.

I'd go tweet him a question but I'd much rather he answered questions here or on herald.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd prefer an in-game mail service that...ya know...actually works. Not like what they gave us years ago that was so poorly done as to reveal account information to everyone.

A friend's list that functioned as an IM tool as well...like was promised with KR, but never fully materialized.
This. How has this not been implemented yet?

Ned888

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
This. How has this not been implemented yet?
I have to agree.... In this day and age, this is lowtech stuff. In Game email and friends lists are important, if not really a mandatory part of a game.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Umm... as much as I agree this is a major fail...

repeat after me white rabbit :

I shall not use roleplay to justify lacking basic respect...

not funny.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The day that do that... is the final day I play UO.
Given the lack of clear instruction, clear communication, and the ability to continue to give EA my money without jumping through horrific hurdles...

My last day of playing UO came several weeks ago. Just waiting on my 6 month accounts to expire to put this disaster of what used to be a vibrant online game behind me.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May I underline that Radian was a vibrant member of this community I would have never tought descended to such level of violent opinion voicing.

But it's not Jeff's fault. Lets not forget and swing on a tangeant again... please...

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But it's not Jeff's fault. Lets not forget and swing on a tangeant again... please...
Excepting, of course, that the producer of the game is, at some level, responsible for communication. I get he didn't fubar the account management system; I get Cal didn't either.

Of course, I suspect Cal actually got fed up with the role he was in and left. I'm not certain that I think he was let go. I think he got tired of apologizing for EA's actions on a game they've never fully supported.

Still...

Jeff should be leading the charge of open communication, not playing hide and seek with the playerbase he's in charge of development for.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
we seem to reach the same logical deduction...

still it's not his fault... honestly, look at EA just for a moment...

hehe I think he has not that much weight, to be honest

who is Kai who posts on herald ? Who is the executive producer ?

A

AesSedai

- Ah yes, this has to do with Jeff, I believe:

Sorry to hear of your exit strategy, RaDian FlGith..
It was good knowing you, at least in a written sense.
I hope UO (& Stratics! luv the Stratics :)) can show you (and many others) that it is worth staying involved. I do hope EA continues to value UO, and will be more positively involved. It seems they continue to; but only time will tell how much they will respect what UO has brought them and us, all..

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- Ah yes, this has to do with Jeff, I believe:

Sorry to hear of your exit strategy, RaDian FlGith..
It was good knowing you, at least in a written sense.
I hope UO (& Stratics! luv the Stratics :)) can show you (and many others) that it is worth staying involved. I do hope EA continues to value UO, and will be more positively involved. It seems they continue to; but only time will tell how much they will respect what UO has brought them and us, all..
Well, truthfully, I'd stay if there was a way to manage my accounts that didn't require lengthy phone calls to EA that I neither have the time nor schedule to do. They don't have hours that match what I have available, and I don't have hours to wait for them to ungarble their silly process.

If you'd asked me six months ago if I would be leaving UO permanently anytime in the near future, the honest answer would have been "no." At this point, I don't even know where to begin to get stuff taken care of, and while there are endless threads here for the hurdles that need to be jumped, there's nothing on EA's own sites that define a clear, concise path to handling any of this.

I still don't understand what kind of strategy it is to make it difficult for paying customers to continue paying.

And by the looks of things, they STILL haven't even gotten recurring billing figured out. Much less an easy path for those with in excess of 9 accounts.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EA has a conference call scheduled for tomorrow (Thursday) at 2 pm PT (5 pm ET) to discuss their business results for the quarter ending 9/30/2011 and do their usual brief projections for the future. If Jeff's letter is going to contain any kind of unusual news for UO, I wonder if its release is being timed to coincide with tomorrow's call.

A Thought Elemental

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
EA has a conference call scheduled for tomorrow (Thursday) at 2 pm PT (5 pm ET) to discuss their business results for the quarter ending 9/30/2011 and do their usual brief projections for the future. If Jeff's letter is going to contain any kind of unusual news for UO, I wonder if its release is being timed to coincide with tomorrow's call.
Maybe, yeah.

I wonder why the previous people stepped out (Cal, it is said). It makes me think of a few things. I picture how I would feel if I were in his position and perhaps saw things I knew needed to happen, but was prevented from making them happen for whatever reason. It would be frustrating to be stuck in that position, and who's to say someone like him wouldn't want to take a transfer to elsewhere in the company if that's how it is. Pure speculation/wondering here, nothing more.

The question of "closing low population servers" or "merging servers" is more involved than just the idea of "hey look, almost nobody's on this server, it should be closed".

Higher population servers can in fact be a touch negative from certain perspectives. They stress the hardware more (and maybe even the software) and in the event of a server problem, it represents more downtime for a larger number of players. Lots of people spread out over medium population servers can only be more desireable from a quality of service and administration standpoint than clusters of high-pop and low-pop servers. Closing your lower population servers doesn't put you on the road toward that more ideal, lots-of-medium-population server structure.

And then, there is the question of, is it necessarily significantly extra money/resources/ and so on to allow the low-pop servers to live on. I think that when hardware upgrade time comes, it's real then. But during the between-times, maybe not.

If for some reason it was wanted - - - which it may in fact NOT be. The one and only genuine complication factor I see regarding server merge type operations is the fact that player housing exists in the public world areas, and those dwellings are really important to the players who own them. The other stuff is already handled from a technical standpoint. Character slots can be increased, and we already know that character+item server-to-server transfer works.

If a brute-force thing was not to be used, an idea comes to mind but, it would be quite some work behind the scenes. The final result of such a "merge" would be, for example, a final server which is effectively the combined result of 2 low population servers, and that server exists in a configuration which has more than the original number of facets. The moongates would have... more stops in them.

Not saying such a thing should be done or is worth the amount of behind-the-scenes work that would be required, just that it could come together well enough from the player perspective.

With how good hardware has gotten lately... I bet all of UO could run on one big fat machine if they wanted it to (probably with a touch of virtualization). Well, not counting the european servers, which I'd hope would stay in ... europe.

Firedoc48878

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I personally know 2 long time players both have 6 plus years playing quit this game because of account issues and lack of DIRECTION. They both say if UO gets its act together they would come back both have gone to LOTR :sad3::sad3:

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I would be the most reluctant person to say this but its starting to feel like EA is doing this on purpose, hoping people from their other MMOS get frustrated with the system and move on to SWTOR...

maybe the bean counter up there has some predictive algorythms and found out it was a good gamble... lots of risk, but possibly lots of reward... and less hassle :(

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did I just miss it or did he not mention UO at all?

I feel slighted.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Listen to Paul Barnett, Creative Director at Bioware, in this recent interview and then ask yourself where old subscription-based games like UO fit in at EA.

Electronic Arts Video Game, NYCC 11: Naughty Or Nice Event Interview HD | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

First time I actually heard an EA employee know what they were talking about. UO will eventually fit in the F2P model as he was speaking. Lets just face the facts. The numbers are not there for UO atm. Same for DaoC. UO loses more then gain players. The only thing that keeps the numbers up are currrent players opening new accounts. Not players themselves.

Hate him or like him Paul Barnett spoke the truth and where gaming is going. I'm just hanging around until GW2 comes out. B2P model and play when I want and dont have to depend an item shop to "win the game." Plus it gives me freedom to play other games if I dont feel like playing that night without feeling I have to because of no monthly fee.

SWTOR and GW2 has set the new standard this coming decade for online gaming.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did I just miss it or did he not mention UO at all?

I feel slighted.
Dont hate the messanger but hate the message. Uo was not mentioned. He speaks the truth. Sometimes it just how it is. UO is not on the radar map. It's only used to benefit EA when they say they have the oldest longest running online game :)

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Today would be the official day, since it's mid week here in the states, to start the count down from Jeff's tweeter message of mid to late next week for UO. I know he also said he hoped but ummmmmm no excuse. He can type on his free time. lol

So today 10/26/2011 is day 1 :p

K

Kayne

Umm... as much as I agree this is a major fail...

repeat after me white rabbit :

I shall not use roleplay to justify lacking basic respect...

not funny.
Actually there was no disrespect in Whiterabbits post...So i have no idea what you think you read

May I underline that Radian was a vibrant member of this community I would have never tought descended to such level of violent opinion voicing.

Haven't seen any violence in Radians posts here.

W

Woodsman

I doubt it, EA's conference call is going to be focused on Battlefield 3, Star Wars, EA Sports games, PopCap acquisition, Origin, and the Sims Facebook game. They are spending $100 million just to market BF3, and it's their most successful FPS launch in company history. Plus they are going to discuss the upcoming holidays.

They probably made more in the first 48 hours of pre-orders off of Battlefield 3 than they made from UO, Camelot, and Warhammer last year combined.

If the analysts are right about EA's earnings for the quarter, assuming UO has 50,000 subs, UO's revenue would be around 0.27% of EA's earnings. UO will not get mentioned.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Kayne for caring...

I was complimenting Radian, and he knows about it ; sorry you haven't caught that.

Peees on himz foot, for noes talkin to usins yet

Ozog
Read it again, what do you think it means ? rolleyes:

K

Kayne

Ozog pees on jeffs foot for not talking to us yet

Not at all disrespectful as he is obviously a role player of rabbit kin keeping to his character traits. Unlike the rest of the whining and complaining all whiterabbit did was give a reply in character that basically says the same as what anyone else has said

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I doubt it, EA's conference call is going to be focused on Battlefield 3, Star Wars, EA Sports games, PopCap acquisition, Origin, and the Sims Facebook game. They are spending $100 million just to market BF3, and it's their most successful FPS launch in company history. Plus they are going to discuss the upcoming holidays.

They probably made more in the first 48 hours of pre-orders off of Battlefield 3 than they made from UO, Camelot, and Warhammer last year combined.

If the analysts are right about EA's earnings for the quarter, assuming UO has 50,000 subs, UO's revenue would be around 0.27% of EA's earnings. UO will not get mentioned.
I don't know what to think anymore. I have been hoping that with UO's 15th anniversary coming up next year, there would be more signs of life in UO. But there's not. Been reading too many articles like this one I guess and getting more discouraged every day we don't hear from Jeff: What Happens To Developers When A Studio Closes?. Hard to believe that companies actually give their lead people the news on Christmas Day that their particular studio is closing, but EA did it.

I doubt many of EA's shareholders, especially the institutional shareholders, care one way or the other whether EA keeps UO around. They just want the company to be profitable.

P.S. Don't forget Jeff's tweet the other day about meeting with the big boss and how proud he was of his team.

W

Woodsman

I don't know what to think anymore. I have been hoping that with UO's 15th anniversary coming up next year, there would be more signs of life in UO. But there's not.
Star Wars. I think that's the overriding concern within BioWare right now.
I doubt many of EA's shareholders, especially the institutional shareholders, care one way or the other whether EA keeps UO around. They just want the company to be profitable.
If it's bringing in millions in profit, I don't think anybody would be in a rush to close it down, not after a big purchase like PopCap or with Star Wars looming over everything. It especially helps BioWare's bottom line.

However, if UO started to become unprofitable, I don't think it would be given much of a chance to regain profitability, it would just be closed down.
P.S. Don't forget Jeff's tweet the other day about meeting with the big boss and how proud he was of his team.
Which team was that again :gee:

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry but peeing on someone's foot is disrespectful in my country...

very disrespectful...

And no I wasn't saying that, and I don't know Jeff yet... I'm in the hope team remember ?

*massages temples*

jskalski

Franchise Producer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Not afraid Ned. Just need to get back in the habit of swinging by and saying hi.

Now back to baking potatoes. ;)

A

AesSedai

(- Kayne, aye, agree. Let it go.. let it go)
(there is nothing to see here, I was speaking between parentheses, see)

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not afraid Ned. Just need to get back in the habit of swinging by and saying hi.
Yes.

Maybe before you go, you could copy/paste here what you said in your Twitter feed, like, an hour ago.

To some of us things like that mean nothing, but to some it means something.

-Galen's player

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I stopped playing UO some months ago, I still occasionally check the news about this game. When I read what`s going on, it feels like a deja-vu.

It's been like this since I can remember. UO often had periods with a couple of great developers with good ideas. After a year or so, they either leave the UO team or get layed off. This results in stagnation and lack of communication with the player base. Suddenly all great projects are on hold. Then, a couple of months later, one very dedicated person is able to put together a great team again, and they start with fresh ideas.

UO never had a team constantly proceeding with their ideas and projects and improving the game. UO teams get constantly ripped apart, there is no consistency in game development, no long-term vision. This is one of the reasons why the only players left in UO are some dedicated fans who'd play this game to the very end, no matter what.

I'm beginning to think that the best thing for UO would be to pull the plug while we still have good memories about the game and its community, and to end this painful suffering. But then again, I know that the few players left in the game would feel hurt if UO was finally put where it belongs: into a grave.

Grim is a great person with visions, and I certainly appreciate his efforts to improve the game graphics, but let's be realistic here: You'll never get more than a couple of new tiles, because as always, EA will invest only 5% into UO of what would be necessary to really make an improvement, and thus game development will stop on 5% of the way. That's how management has been handling this game during the past 10 years.

It isn't my goal to crush hopes, but I've experienced the way UO was handled for too long to still believe that something (r)evolutionary will ever happen with this game. The community will continue to shrink, even if UO "gets new graphics" (i.e. new floor tiles, lol). The days of UO are over, not because the game wouldn't have potential, but because nobody wants to put real money into a extensive game revamp. And without that, UO will be no MMORPG but a playing ground for a couple of hardcore fans. It is just a matter of time before someone finally realizes that nostalgia alone cannot create revenue...

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thankz Zosimus!

Jeff_SkalskiJeff Skalski
@Thor_Malen It's in review. Going to push to get it up before the weekend.
Okay, here would be an excellent opportunity to tell the community what all needs to happen to get a letter from you posted.

Obviously you need to write it, proof it, etc... But then what happens?

Cal gave is a tiny bit of insight once, but it just made us scratch our heads in bewilderment. Why? because he mentioned it needed to go through legal and PR/marketing.

Legal, meh, we get that. EA is a ginormous international corporation and it's lawyers like money. So some suit, who 'prolly doesn't even know what UO is, rubberstamps it after it sits in his inbox for a week.

But.. PR? Really? UO has no PR/marketing... No, seriously, it doesn't.

Sarcasm aside, I think it would do us some good to learn about the path your letter(s) need to trek down before they ever grace the Herald.

W

Woodsman

Okay, here would be an excellent opportunity to tell the community what all needs to happen to get a letter from you posted.

Cal gave is a tiny bit of insight once, but it just made us scratch our heads in bewilderment. Why? because he mentioned it needed to go through legal and PR/marketing.

Legal, meh, we get that. EA is a ginormous international corporation and it's lawyers like money. So some suit, who 'prolly doesn't even know what UO is, rubberstamps it after it sits in his inbox for a week.

But.. PR? Really? UO has no PR/marketing... No, seriously, it doesn't.

Sarcasm aside, I think it would do us some good to learn about the path your letter(s) need to trek down before they ever grace the Herald.
Yeah I would be interested in hearing this as well. It surprised a lot of people that Cal had to go through legal and PR to get a producer's letter out, and now it sounds like the same thing is still going on.

It makes a lot of sense why Cal seemed to prefer dealing with things through PM.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm interested in how it works too. Hopefully this letter doesnt get turned into a video and 30 seconds lonng :p

W

Woodsman

Yep.

That was almost funny the way they'd pinned so much on it, Cal actually hurt himself during the filming, then EA cut it down to a minute and a half (or so I presume).

-Galen's player
There was a post some where showing every one of the cuts they made. I can't find it though, but it was a lot.

I would pay $10 to see the full video.

Anybody who has played from the beginning or nearly the beginning find it funny how much has to be run through legal/PR these days versus the early days of UO? I can quite clearly remember discussions between developers and players over things that hadn't been added, I can remember them talking with people on Lum's website and on Crossroads. They would talk about what they'd like to do and what they were actually doing.

Now I imagine that it goes in front of a committee of people who spend a few days pouring over it, looking for some kind of hidden meaning or legal issues.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I told you guys he would not let us down...

Jeff, how does it feel ? Can you feel the mounting tension ? You wont find this in any other game let me assure you ; hopefully you can discern how fragile of a fabric we are, how profound and strangled by many of the "new game mechanics" our "collective souls" are.

Bring it on a silver plate, we shall dine on it, in UHELL !!! :grouphug:

K

Kayne

(- Kayne, aye, agree. Let it go.. let it go)
(there is nothing to see here, I was speaking between parentheses, see)
Which Ajah are you in AesSedai? :p

Indeed you do Jeff. Perhaps you could make it your mission to give us a weekly Producers Update or similar and maybe encourage your team to do the same for their individual areas.

jskalski

Franchise Producer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Thankz Zosimus!

It goes through the rounds of Community and my GM reviewing it. Also, I'll pass it off to Mesanna to get her feedback on it as well. Legal shouldn't be reviewing this one, so I'm still planning we get this up on the herald by EOD tomorrow assuming everyone signs off.

Ned888

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
While I stopped playing UO some months ago, I still occasionally check the news about this game. When I read what`s going on, it feels like a deja-vu.

It's been like this since I can remember. UO often had periods with a couple of great developers with good ideas. After a year or so, they either leave the UO team or get layed off. This results in stagnation and lack of communication with the player base. Suddenly all great projects are on hold. Then, a couple of months later, one very dedicated person is able to put together a great team again, and they start with fresh ideas.

UO never had a team constantly proceeding with their ideas and projects and improving the game. UO teams get constantly ripped apart, there is no consistency in game development, no long-term vision. This is one of the reasons why the only players left in UO are some dedicated fans who'd play this game to the very end, no matter what.

I'm beginning to think that the best thing for UO would be to pull the plug while we still have good memories about the game and its community, and to end this painful suffering. But then again, I know that the few players left in the game would feel hurt if UO was finally put where it belongs: into a grave.

Grim is a great person with visions, and I certainly appreciate his efforts to improve the game graphics, but let's be realistic here: You'll never get more than a couple of new tiles, because as always, EA will invest only 5% into UO of what would be necessary to really make an improvement, and thus game development will stop on 5% of the way. That's how management has been handling this game during the past 10 years.

It isn't my goal to crush hopes, but I've experienced the way UO was handled for too long to still believe that something (r)evolutionary will ever happen with this game. The community will continue to shrink, even if UO "gets new graphics" (i.e. new floor tiles, lol). The days of UO are over, not because the game wouldn't have potential, but because nobody wants to put real money into a extensive game revamp. And without that, UO will be no MMORPG but a playing ground for a couple of hardcore fans. It is just a matter of time before someone finally realizes that nostalgia alone cannot create revenue...
Pike! Am I glad to see you posting! I use your website as a reference to support my posts very frequently. I just wish I got the chance to play with you!

Anyway, I just wanted to note.... No official letter yet (at least that I have seen).

Now, on to my solution/suggestion:

Since UO is a 'gump' based game, how difficult would it be to integrate a third party chat program into the game that could be used for three things:

1. Friends list w/instant messaging.
  2. One way email/post/tab to All Players that would be available for the Devs to update all players simulaneously (we know that only a portion post on Stratics).
  3. Fully email for written communication only. No need to be able to email items/gold. It's easy enough to transfer stuff as it is.

I'm no developer, but I don't believe this would be too hard. Maybe you could contract Pinco to add this to his UI or the team who did UOAssist could add it to their program somehow.

This would really make things infinitely better for the game. Please look into this! It would be a way for us to talk to each other and get information from you as well. Win/Win!

Z

Zyon Rockler

I agree, some type of inbox/outbox. Maybe something that could be integrated into the game. Like some type of scroll, maybe it could be expanded off the chat and the send bug report along with a list of friends.

I wanted to comment on the fact that we are EA customers. I'm going to play Battle Field and I play The Sims. I would like to try Star Wars. I mean, it's not just UO. They should look at us as EA customers and even allow for some type of credit if the games are not free and it should be something they consider when investing in one game or another.

For example: If they are making a huge amount of money off of Battle Field, which is for more than just reasons of playing a game because it's a Military Simulator but still, some of that money comes from us, UO, just as some comes from all of the other games. So, it seems kind of skewed when you say, one hasn't earned alot, when in fact it's the same people supporting several titles.

Hellstorm

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im with HD, I believe a change is coming to UO, one way or the other. I dont care where it says it will only be in china. EA has a shiny new client that looks better than WOW, but they will just stick with a 2D client in the US? Anyone that believes that is insane.

Mock me now, but I will be linking this post when the bomb hits.

http://vboards.stratics.com/uhall/253937-new-3d-ultima-online-client-coming.html

i am just expanding on HD's info... If it does not happen, I am happy in ignorant bliss hoping it will.

K

Kayne

It goes through the rounds of Community and my GM reviewing it. Also, I'll pass it off to Mesanna to get her feedback on it as well. Legal shouldn't be reviewing this one, so I'm still planning we get this up on the herald by EOD tomorrow assuming everyone signs off.
Not to be jumping in too quickly but I am starting to get a little antsy as to whether this is going to happen today

Status
Not open for further replies.