• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Farewell to Calvin

W

Woodsman

Another good producer leaves us. I hope his next adventure will have less limitations and more freedom than UO had in terms of producing.
I would have liked to have seen him stay long enough for us to to see some of the new stuff he had planned.

Regardless of who they get to replace him, they need to bump up the community relations team to actually act like a community relations team, and not just a community relations team for UO for a few minutes a week when they post on UOHerald while the rest of their time is spent on Warhammer. If they don't, you'll still see many acting very negative towards UO.

We are probably generating more money than Warhammer, but you wouldn't know it.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Bring back Draconi.
This

Pleaaaaaaaaaaase
This THIS THIS most definitely THIS
:bowdown:
bring back the master of :flame:
There are a couple of Luna houses that could use his attention :lol:

Hate to see Cal go, always seemed genuine, even when he could not comply with player's wishes. Safe Travels, would say always land on your feet, but remembering that one of them was goofed up for a while, land on the good one :)

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would have liked to have seen him stay long enough for us to to see some of the new stuff he had planned.

Regardless of who they get to replace him, they need to bump up the community relations team to actually act like a community relations team, and not just a community relations team for UO for a few minutes a week when they post on UOHerald while the rest of their time is spent on Warhammer. If they don't, you'll still see many acting very negative towards UO.

We are probably generating more money than Warhammer, but you wouldn't know it.
Like Jeremy. Among the best community relations we had. But it seems EA decided to scrap the good relations. But I have no doubt we generate more money than Warhammer. But EA treats UO like...nothing. They'd prefer to focus on everything else before even noticing this game while taking the profits we generate. It was mentioned before and I will bring it up again. UO is a cash tree for EA that they look at only once in a blue moon just to make sure it's still alive. That's why we will continue to exist.

But I realize this is off topic for this thread so will leave my opinion at that and just defer back to my initial statement here.

M

Mairut

It's like they get rid of them as soon as we've broken them in :gee:

Good luck Cal, best of wishes for you :)

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hm. Two questions.

1) Does this mean Mesanna is now the producer? I see her title is Associate Producer.

2) Why wasn't Cal allowed to say goodbye himself? And why wasn't it mentioned on the UOHerald? He was a pretty big part of our community discussions and one of the few devs who openly spoke with us about PvP change. Don't know why people didn't like him or think Draconi will magically make things better, but I guess it's hindsight.

Anyway, I liked Draconi and Cal. I'm glad I got to meet both Mesanna and Cal. I appreciate Mesanna going from shard to shard to create events, and how, when the blackrock golem spawners were going nuts, she personally checked Origin and other shards out and spoke with the users to fix the problem (Haven overflow). I appreciated Cal for trying to improve PvP even though it was unpopular. The only thing I regret during the reign of Cal is Gargoyles still can't sit in chairs right if they move diagonally, which messed up the game sync.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So.....Am I the first one to ask who's in charge now (without applying or suggesting someone)?

I will say nothing positive or negative but I am, quite understandably I think, curious who is in charge now.

-Galen's player

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cal, I'm sorry to see you go and wish you only the best as you move on to "another adventure." I wish we'd had a lot more opportunities to read the fiction you wrote for game-related events and hope that you'll get to do a lot more of that type of writing in the future.

Please don't be a stranger! I hope you'll stop by here frequently and let us know how you are doing and that your future visits won't be as painful as I suspect some of your past visits were.

:(

C

canary

think Draconi will magically make things better, but I guess it's hindsight.
He respected the lore, he loved the game, he understood game mechanics, and he interacted in a positive manner with the paying playerbase. He communicated freely with players and earned their respect as a whole.

In all, he was just a great guy to have on the game.

F

Fayled Dhreams

So.....Am I the first one to ask

-Galen's player

Nope ...
gunga asked for the job @ #10
"bring back/suggest" longshanks @ #25
Myself @ #40 might be the first "who now"
maybe GvP @ #56

Cal, can I have your stuff? am I first to ask that?
I liked jeremy, very sweet

and uh No ... security covered that about his "stuffs" and its the management position NOT his ingame participation being updated
Loved Draconi >as a coder/artist< don't know what his "producer" skill set looks like, or if he has designs on that field ...

G

Grandma

Well now, that Cal was a nice feller, hate to see him leave, but wish you the best of luck in your new *realm*.
And I cast muh vote for that sweet lil Mesanna to fill them big ole shoes of his'in. I mean, she wears killer shoes on the video chats...I'm shore she could whip our tails...errr...I mean do a outstandin job!:thumbup:

I'd even lend her muh walkin' stick..it whomps really good..

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May Fortuna smile upon your next venture and your life in general! You did a helluva job - must have been that stint in the USAF!

H

HongKongCavalier

With today's patch, Cal went out on a high note. And overall, a very good batting average for his tenure; Bardic Masteries, High Seas, Magincia Lotto and Bazaar, etc. were all fine additions to the game.

Finishing the EC was the big miss, and it's probably not fair to blame him for it.

Maybe the return of Draconi would help that cause, especially if his first act was to hire Pinco. Far fetched I know, but a nice thought.

Best of luck Cal, and hopefully your next job has a better effort:reward ratio ;)

A

AesSedai

- Fare thee well, Cal.

May your next adventure be a great success.

Hope to hear more about UO from yourself or another, sometime.
Hope to hear more about you too, sometime.
Take care.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ummmmmm Cal's job isnt even filled in yet and people are already asking or guessing for a succesor. I was no big fan of Cal but I also dont like to see somebody moved out for various reasons (EA reasons) unless he chose to move on or moved up in the EA world.

Most of Cal recieved blame for was more EA then him. Plus a 14 year old out dated game that is bugged to death and old code was definetly not his fault. With EA puishing deadlines and the migration we have no idea what happend to Cal and his sudden departure. EA changes Devs as fast as an EA suit gives himself a raise.

Plus in my previous post I posted what company Draconi is working for and highly doubt he would come back. Lets at least give Cal the respect he deserves and not use this thread as a bashing or choosing a succesor before he was out the door.

I wish you well on your future travels Calvin and hope things work out for you. Good luck in what you pursue and wish you a healthy and happy life where ever you go. I will give you credit where credit is due. You have alot of passion and it showed when you blogged about it and in the VHOCs about UO.

C

Capn Kranky

er, yon storeroom be not having any more flame-resistant dragon armor! more must be crafted before the new citizen arrives!

Willard

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hope the moving on was by choice! Best of luck in your new adventures. Thanks for the time and effort you put into UO.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good luck Cal. Whoever winds up as Producer of UO is going to have some serious shoes to fill. Talk about a hard act to match, much less top.

God bless.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Mesanna making Cal's goodbye post for him? Yeah someone got fired.
Not necessarily, I have went in and gotten my stuff and walked out before. Sometimes an offer comes up that is too good to turn down, and you don't have time to work a notice. Ain't saying that's what happened here, just that can't jump to conclusions either way.

W

Woodsman

Mesanna making Cal's goodbye post for him? Yeah someone got fired.
A lot of UO personnel have voluntarily left over the years without being able to really say goodbye for one reason or another, including producers. Not being on UOherald.com is weird.

He did some work on Star Wars The Old Republic and given that they are about to enter a huge round of beta testing and serious crunch time to prep for the launch, I kind of wondered about the timing and that perhaps he took a position over there. They are pulling out all of the stops, and this is their most important beta test since it's going to determine the launch date. While EA claims to be hands-off, they are probably breathing down their necks over this, since if this round of testing doesn't go well, they might not make the launch before the holidays.

My fear is that the plans he had for the graphics and new player stuff are going to be tossed or scaled back and UO will go right back to trying to maintain the status quo rather than attracting new players. If they keep those plans, I hope they make Mesanna or Supreem producer because bringing in somebody from the outside right as they are about to do some system or client upgrades (or right after) is usually bad for UO.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He respected the lore, he loved the game, he understood game mechanics, and he interacted in a positive manner with the paying playerbase. He communicated freely with players and earned their respect as a whole.

In all, he was just a great guy to have on the game.
I really don't pay attention to the lore enough, which I assume you're talking about like the RP? But I think Cal did a good job in lore (as good as UO has ever been, which is random), love for the game, mechanics, and interaction. At times it seemed like Cal had to yield to Mesanna, which I guess some people didn't like...but Mesanna has been around a lot longer, so why not yield to her on some stuff?

Not saying I didn't like Draconi, he was great, just saying I don't understand the lack of Cal love. In my opinion UO has been pretty great since Mondain's Legacy. Under Cal we have Gargoyles (even if they still need to run through QA so they can sit on chairs right) and imbuing, which some people don't like but to me it made it so I have to grind less and play more. Plus I can still get better-than-imbued items from loot or if I craft with a runic, which a lot of people overlook I guess.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish him well. No matter how he left us.. we lost a good egg. May the wind be at your back Cal.

I'd Vote for Draconi as replacement, but i fear he left EA not under his own steam...
(EA is well known for its file boxes at the guard office at the gate routine...)

Right now mesanna is co producer so she and the others are covering the bases till a #1 is picked.... all i hope is he / she is as good. Grumbles my Imbuer will offer her top of the line Armor to help combat the horde here.....Free of charge. Gunna need it.

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for your contributions to UO, Cal. I wish you well.

Thank you, Mesanna, for letting us know.

BlissMarie

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good luck Cal on your next adventures. Can't wait to see who replaces him and the ideas they will bring to the table as far getting people to either come back or new players to try the game and will the game continue on the current story arc or will it move in another direction.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you, Cal. Hopefully you'll poke your head in occasionally.

(I also would love to see Draconi brought back as Producer, but I don't think he's insane enough to take the job.)

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Thank you Cal for all your good work. There will be no replacement,as in other companies its called downsizing. Less people more duties. UO is doomed!!!!! so be nice to yur local goblin.

Ozog

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Good luck Cal

WildStar

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
There will be no replacement,as in other companies its called downsizing.
Could be the case, but then that would mean Mesanna would be top dog, that would be fine by me. Would much rather see them promote from within instead of getting someone from the outside to head it up. If they do replace that is.

U

unified

Good luck, Cal. You will be missed and remembered. You gave it your best shot, and that's all that anyone can ever do. :)

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's funny how all the anti-classic folks can't help but post on here just because of one successful troll.

This is a thread about Calvin guys, say goodbye or GTFO... we all know your opinions anyway !

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The UO team would like to let our players know that Calvin has moved on to another adventure in his life. He is no longer the Producer of UO, but rest assured that things are going on as they always have. For those that have been with UO for a while you know that many have come and gone over the 14 years, but UO always continues!

The UO Team!
No he was one of the best producers! :sad4:

With good video updates, nice ideas and strange forward direction.

Rupert Avery

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I wish him luck in his new adventure!

Lets hope the next top dog can take us forward... move us up!
and help us Show UO is very much here to stay!!

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There will be no replacement,as in other companies its called downsizing.
Could be the case, but then that would mean Mesanna would be top dog, that would be fine by me. Would much rather see them promote from within instead of getting someone from the outside to head it up. If they do replace that is.
Our staff is too small to do the job, and do the job well as it is. While they are ramping up to release SWTOR the hands are all going to get pulled in another direction. If we don't see a little influx after SWTOR has shipped I'm gonna be a bit peeved.

retrorider

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry to see you go, Cal.

Thank you for your passion and devotion.

I'm glad the wife and I got to meet you at the Town Hall meeting.

Good luck in what ever you end up doing.

F

Fayled Dhreams