• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Now we pay tax per account?

Hera75

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my case it's $1.12 per month, per account.
This is quite odd, because I too am in Oklahoma and am being taxed 1.17 more a month. If it is the same state, why the different tax rates? Also I saw two different tax prices others had posted for Colorado. It just doesn't make sense.

T

Tazar

Re: new tax

Taxing overseas customers who are already paying tax inclusive to the subscription price has EVERYTHING to do with EA!
If what I have read on it is accurate, then basically, California has implemented a sales tax on internet sales with-in their state, and an "export" tax on internet sales outside of their state. If it is true, then it has nothing to do with EA and they must charge it to comply with the state laws where their corporate office is.

Long term though, it will be interesting to see how many large and small companies leave California so that they can compete with companies outside of the state. This will cost the state jobs, population (as people chase the jobs that are leaving with the companies) and tax revenue. It is a short-term gain for the state at best, but with a potentially huge long-term cost.

T

Tazar

This is quite odd, because I too am in Oklahoma and am being taxed 1.17 more a month. If it is the same state, why the different tax rates? Also I saw two different tax prices others had posted for Colorado. It just doesn't make sense.
I am not sure about Oklahoma or Colorado, but in Texas, the sales tax varies between 5.25% and 8.25% depending on where you are within the state. Dallas is one of the highest because we pay the normal state sales tax of 5.25, but then pay additional sales tax to support mass transit, etc to a total of 8.25%.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the case of Colorado, each county can have its own sales tax and so can each city or town. There are also numerous special tax districts that overlap cities and counties and that were set up to finance things like transportation projects, baseball and football stadiums, and other types of local improvements or special marketing efforts.

S

soulstoner

Re: new tax

Complete supposition.

If this were the case, then everyone would be seeing a tax charge with their subscription. As I stated above, and another Oregon resident confirmed, we arent being taxed anything. Chances are, this is a side-effect from the new accounting system being buggy or containing incorrect data.

Since it is a financial crime to tax fraudulently, or to double tax in the case of those having to pay VAT, EA is indeed the one people should be contacting with complaints - lest this turn into another legal woe for the company to add to the already growing PR nightmare.
And here in Maine 2 of us I am aware of have not been taxed this past week where our monthly subscriptions auto-renewed without our venturing onto the new site to perform any user input - just showed up as strait forward $12.99 online cc activity/statement per usual.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, They wont get a penny off me as its the last straw. I will not be taxed by a US company above and beyond what im required to pay by UK Tax law. Accounts cancelled.

Im sure there are plenty of you sheep out there who will pay whatever amount, no matter what, as long as you get your fix. Good luck with that. It'll only end one way. Nothing is forever.

K

Kayne

For those in the UK my sub just renewed. I can't verify this atm but my card is showing a pending transaction of £9.09 and I can't think of any other transaction this would be related to.

If I manually try and resub the accounts that didnt get renewed it still wants to charge me tax however.

Nilrem

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For those in the UK my sub just renewed. I can't verify this atm but my card is showing a pending transaction of £9.09 and I can't think of any other transaction this would be related to.

If I manually try and resub the accounts that didnt get renewed it still wants to charge me tax however.
It's sounding like more and more of a mess if that's the case.

You would imagine the one system that EA would make absolutely certain worked before making it "live" would be the one that gives them money...

I mean we're all used to pretty much everything else going pear-shaped from time to time, but billing is the that actually makes them money rather than costing money:D

K

Kayne

It's sounding like more and more of a mess if that's the case.

You would imagine the one system that EA would make absolutely certain worked before making it "live" would be the one that gives them money...

I mean we're all used to pretty much everything else going pear-shaped from time to time, but billing is the that actually makes them money rather than costing money:D
Couldn't agree more, perhaps they dont want our money any more.... :p

S.P.A

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, They wont get a penny off me as its the last straw. I will not be taxed by a US company above and beyond what im required to pay by UK Tax law. Accounts cancelled.

Im sure there are plenty of you sheep out there who will pay whatever amount, no matter what, as long as you get your fix. Good luck with that. It'll only end one way. Nothing is forever.
Just so you know, all my subscriptions have gone through in the last few days at £9.99.

C

Capn Kranky

<highly sarcastic>

... You would imagine the one system that EA would make absolutely certain worked before making it "live" would be the one that gives them money...
It does work ... gross revenue now includes added taxes for those a) already taxed or b) should not be getting taxed. At least.

System working as designed I would say.

</highly sarcastic>

All I can do is sigh at the gross silliness EA has spread upon their customerbase with this move.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was charged taxes for the first time ever this month. I live in Missouri where there is NOT an online tax. WTF.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Well..I just renewed, was afraid to before now!

Got myself a pre-paid Visa, live in Chicago, or close to it, was charged $0.81 tax.

Seriously...81 cents I can find laying on the ground over the course of a month...it's not a big deal.

Still would like an offical word as to how this tax is calculated but I pay tax on everything else so this is not a big deal for me :)

Just glad my subscription went through without a hitch :thumbup:

F

Fayled Dhreams

I was charged taxes for the first time ever this month. I live in Missouri where there is NOT an online tax. WTF.
Missouri Business Portal: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

+ What is the sales taxability of computer software and related services?
Canned software is taxable. Custom software is not taxable. Program installation, maintenance of software, upgrades and training services are taxable when the purchase of these services is mandatory under the terms of the agreement to purchase the software.

it is mandatory that you pay EA your subscription to PLAY the game ...
IF you don't PAY to play it, THEN you don't get taxed on it.

The "debate" has at this point resolved to just a few conditions "known"
IF you were double billed: proveable & reports of some compensation already being dispensed to such accounts.

IF it's the first time "noticing" a tax
EA >maybe< charging the tax against one of two points
Zip of >the bank< that handles the billing, ZIP of the ISP >local office< that provides your "line"(access)
those two points will likely point you to the primary source OF the billing request ...
rounding out nicely TO:
http://vboards.stratics.com/2006459-post143.html

accept This snippet AS a "final word"

If your use of EA Services is subject to use or sales tax, then EA may also charge you for any such taxes, in addition to the subscription or other fees. For further information, visit support.ea.com.
Thank you EA.[/quote]

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why am I being taxed 16% of my subs?

So I just reenter my billing information so that I didnt become inactive. It states that £9.99 is inclusive of VAT... so why am I being charged £1.66 in tax? The UK has no other tax system other than VAT (Which has been stated on the website as being included).

I did post this on Ask the DEV's but as they havent been answered since May (Thats.. comforting :/ ) I'll repost it here. I'm sad to see Cal go (I wasnt too happy when he first started but he's done alot of good since.) but EA/Mythic should give an offical post about it as he was the figure head of UO for some time and ya know, we the players would like to know whats going on with the game...

But yeah, whats with this 16% tax (which dosnt exist in the UK...)

Ta

Sal

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: Why am I being taxed 16% of my subs?

EA is a law unto itself.
Its been posted many times that it's classed as Tax Fraud in the UK to charge this.......no reply
Been sent in on so many peoples emails to EA cs.....no reply.

Basically they don't care as they know even if everyone in UK that was being charged this formed a class action law suit, they could drag it out for easily over 2-3 years in the UK courts which would cost 'us' well over £300-400,000.

They will just keep charging it untill they get a letter from UK Inland revenue in about 3 years then they will just say 'opps my bad' and refund the difference minus the intrest its accrued.

Thats what happens when big corporations own little people.

Viva la revolution!!!!! :popcorn:

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I am being taxed because "you reside in State *no name*". Tried to tell them that I reside in Canada, but they know that already.

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

They've been taxing all my accounts for a long time because, so they say, "you reside in the State of *no name added*.

I live in Canada so assume it is some kind of cash cow.

S.P.A

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

So I just reenter my billing information so that I didnt become inactive. It states that £9.99 is inclusive of VAT... so why am I being charged £1.66 in tax? The UK has no other tax system other than VAT (Which has been stated on the website as being included).

I did post this on Ask the DEV's but as they havent been answered since May (Thats.. comforting :/ ) I'll repost it here. I'm sad to see Cal go (I wasnt too happy when he first started but he's done alot of good since.) but EA/Mythic should give an offical post about it as he was the figure head of UO for some time and ya know, we the players would like to know whats going on with the game...

But yeah, whats with this 16% tax (which dosnt exist in the UK...)

Ta

Sal
As I mentioned in the other thread on this topic, when my payments actually appeared on my bank statements they were just for £9.99 nothing more, so I would consider this a glitch on their website rather than in their billing system.

Let us know if the same happens for you.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

As I mentioned in the other thread on this topic, when my payments actually appeared on my bank statements they were just for £9.99 nothing more, so I would consider this a glitch on their website rather than in their billing system.

Let us know if the same happens for you.
Well my bank statements are showing me being taxed.... which where I live I shouldn't be... and even if they were taxing me at the rate for where I live I'm being over charged tax by 2%.... The rate here is 6% and I'm being charged 8%.... And I'm not supposed to be charged Tax in Iowa.

Never paid it before the whole BS with the accounts now I am.

P

PitrGri

I live in "Iceland" and I pay no taxes... come join me... we're the land of the tax free uo.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Well i pay for 6 month at a time i pay 9,95$ or something per month no taxes no nothing extra, you just have to see what choices there is in this system. Hint, you dont need to put in exactly where you live.

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or what would be really nice (considering that people have been complaining for over 2 weeks now) is someone from EA/Mythic actually responding on this and telling us whats happening. As y'know this is the 'offical' forums and all that...

K

Kayne

Or what would be really nice (considering that people have been complaining for over 2 weeks now) is someone from EA/Mythic actually responding on this and telling us whats happening. As y'know this is the 'offical' forums and all that...
Be nice to know whats going on so I can decide whether to re-sub my accounts. Also be great to be able to remove and change which card details we have on the system like we could before. People change cards etc and want to remove old details

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah Yes Black Sun, I stand corrected. However UO Stratics is used by EA/Mythic mostly and its the only way to get to speak to the current Development Team. In everything bar name, this is the unoffical offical forums (There are others like UOForums but I see even less developer activity there).

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm yes but the Emails I've sent in the past have never been replied to (Did they ever get them? and if so then why not at lest send a confirmation of receipt etc etc) and as I dont live in the US, I'm not going to waste money calling the states becuase the Customer Service of EA is terrible already... do I really want to spend loads of money on the phone only to get told nothing? Na-ah.

As I said though, a post or two on these forums (or ideally on UOHerald considering its the offical website and all that) would do wonders. But having talked at length to some of the past developers about these things, I know its not the development team lacking.. its the corporate zombies in the background bemoaning and stopping the communication flow.

I have a vain hope that one day the term "Corporate Transparency" will be learnt at EA HQ then they can fire the... fools who think keeping the customers in the dark is the best form of customer service. I've also just noticed that you can no-longer search for UO Staff posts on the forum like we used to be able to. Is this a new happening?

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO does not have 'official' forums, We are just a fan site.
Youre splitting hairs Black Sun ... If this is a Fan Site then its the "official" Fan Site.
There's a big difference between official forums and a fan site with forums. I'm sure the folks over at UOForums, UOGuide, Wispering Rose, The Lost Lands (and all the other folks listed here) would be happy to explain the difference to you, as well as reinforce the sentiment that UO has no official forums.

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Question here then Black Sun...

Does the other forums have the dev's and staff of UO registered, do they post thiere regularly.. and actually does any news get posted there from anyone offical in Mythic...

I think for the majority part.. the answer is no. Besides the fact I've had discussions in the past with one of the Admins of Stratics that pertains that UO Stratics is the unoffical offical forum. I would post up the convo but I cleared out my PM's a while ago and deleted it all :-s

K

Kayne

Sorry to resurrect an old topic but.....

***IMPORTANT INFO FOR UK RESIDENTS***

If you are from the UK and worried about the extra tax situation I can confirm after re-subbing one of the accounts that during the migration got put to closed status that even though it stated tax would be added I've checked the bank and in fact I was charged the £9.99 I was supposed to be