• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Now we pay tax per account?

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I live in Va and pay accounts on a monthly basis. For some time, when I would enter CC info, I would get a message about VA being a state that requires tax on the purchase, but then the tax would be $0.00.

After implementing the new billing system, the tax was computed and added onto the purchase so I'm not suprised it finally kicked in.

I don't know anything about the laws in other states and countries and how it applies, but from my own personal experience running a business I know that states can be "grabby" with their tax laws.

Rather than complain to EA, or these forums I would suggest taking up the matter with your own state treasurers office first and see what your specific state laws say about the matter. Then when you contact EA, you'll have some facts to back up your complaint.

Some folks have been taxed all along, I've been lucky there but it wouldn't suprise me if states are cracking down on these types of revenues and EA might be employing a "better safe than sorry" methodology when applying taxes to accounts.

If you use a professional tax service to prepare your state taxes and you have a good ongoing relationship with them, it might be less of a hassle to just call them and ask about how sales taxes are applied to Internet purchases in your state.

Finances are a very serious issue and if people can not trust EA's billing practices, then they are going to loose a lot of customers. I can say that for now, out of fears of being double-billed I am not renewing any of my accounts until I see positive results in fixing this mess. I simply can't afford double fees, and possible overdraft charges just to play a game.

Best of luck to everyone.
damn right.

i pay enough taxs. never had to for uo, aint gonna start now either.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can happily confirm that UO subscribers in Oregon DO NOT pay any sales tax. Just had three accounts renew at the normal rate, so this probably isn't an issue with screwy CA tax law.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I can happily confirm that UO subscribers in Oregon DO NOT pay any sales tax. Just had three accounts renew at the normal rate, so this probably isn't an issue with screwy CA tax law.
I thought this may be the case thank you martyna as I also live in oregon

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone else living in the US want to provide the state where they live and the dollar amount of any tax on their $12.99 monthly subscription in the new accounting system?
It's % ... dollar amount doesn't matter really, just the %. VA pays 5% now.
Yup. I know the calculation is done with percentages. Asked for dollar amount because I figured people would remember it easily enough plus asking them to calculate a percentage would probably get fewer responses. :)

Martyna and Ezekiel, thanks for posting about Oregon and Montana.

Results so far: http://vboards.stratics.com/2006473-post144.html.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Found this tool on the Iowa Department of Revenue site: https://www.idr.iowa.gov/salestaxlookup/index.asp .

And maybe these help a little? Iowa Department of Revenue - Iowa Taxes and Iowa Department of Revenue - Iowa Taxes
No local option tax in my city or county... the tax rate where I live is 6%.... NOT 8% which is what was charged to my accounts.

Which really makes me mad...... and NEVER have I been taxed a sales tax for purchases on the internet... Why because Iowa doesn't tax internet sales... and if it did it would be 6% not 8%.

So not only am I being charged tax when I shouldn't but I'm being OVER Charged tax.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can someone point out the big deal? Are people having to readjust their entire budget for an extra $1-$2 per account which should have been charged in the first place? Go gather your pop cans when subscription payment time comes...(guess that only works if you drink pop.)

Rupert Avery

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Can someone point out the big deal? Are people having to readjust their entire budget for an extra $1-$2 per account which should have been charged in the first place? Go gather your pop cans when subscription payment time comes...(guess that only works if you drink pop.)

well in the UK we pay equivalent of 18$ per month if you add all the tax

but my major issue was the double taxing which is illegal!

BahamaMama

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Missouri...

Ultima Online: 1 Month Subscription $12.99

Tax: $0.55
Total: $13.54

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you not noticed the global recession? Entire countries declaring bankruptcy? Unemployment is still relatively high in the US, so yes, some people might have to rethink their budget for entertainment when the cost suddenly jumps due to poor (or perhaps fraudulent) accounting practices.

Seriously now, people who are making light of this issue need to jump off their high horse and stop demeaning those who are financially conservative/concerned. EA's billing practices are obviously suspect here, it's not the customer's fault that a multinational corporation can't manage an accounting system changeover without epic fails.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So Genesis, if you're the Genesis I think you are, how long do I have to wait before your houses go IDOC?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have a very tight budget...

And if it were just ONE account that wouldn't be a problem.... but I have MORE than one.... so it comes down to much more than a few pop cans.

And my thought is if I have to drop one account to pay for the others... with the added tax... I feel I would rather drop them all and be done.

I don't want to chose which account has to go. I think it's an all or none sort of deal... After all I've played with my 8+ accounts for well over 5 years... I'm kinda attached to them and the houses that they represent.

And I don't feel I should be paying taxes when they aren't warranted...

For 10+ years I have not once paid tax on internet purchases... I don't think I should have to start now.

And the local tax where I live is only 6%.... I'm being charged 8%...

Would you like it if you were overcharaged for something??

K

Kayne

Slightly confused as to why certain people from the UK are quoting 17.5% VAT....have we forgotten that we now pay 20% VAT over here??

That aside being charged a US tax in the UK over the 20% VAT I already pay sucks and may be the difference between me continuing to pay for my subs and quitting the game entirely

EDIT - Us poor people in the UK with our double tax issue now pay the equivalent of

£ 11.65 = 19.067555 U.S. dollars

those in the US not paying the new extra tax:

12.99 U.S. dollars = 7.9367019 British pounds

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Attention tinfoil hat wearers and Conspiracy theorists

Between the Migration Fiasco and the Taxation without Authorization...It's as if EA is TRYING to destroy UO.

Okay let's set aside for a moment the fact that 99% of this forum thinks I'm nuttier than a tree full of squirrels.

Let's look at what's happening...

Exhibit A: Account Migration fiasco

Accounts getting screwed up. Paying customers suddenly having their accounts CLOSED. 9 account limit per EA ID and threat of BAN if you make more that one id. These are but a few of the problems that have push long time loyal players to quit.

Exhibit B: Taxation without our authorization

Suddenly we are paying sales tax on our accounts that in itsself isn't that bad

BUT.....

People are being charged the wrong tax rate - ie OVER TAXED.

UK and European players have reported being charged US sales tax on top of their VAT Tax which is SUPPOSED TO BE illegal.

This has angered many and thus pushed them to quit.

There for I submit to you that in fact what EA really wants is for UO to die.
Thus freeing up servers for Star Wars the Old Republic the game that is supposed to be the "Greatest game of all time". Yeah, Right, Bull I hope SW:TOR is one great failure, it'd serve EA right.

Good people-- I rest my case and my motormouth.

*Dons flame proof suit*

Okay commence feedback!!!

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: Attention tinfoil hat wearers and Conspiracy theorists

Dont worry EA likes making money

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If EA were trying to destroy UO, wouldn't it be easier to simply pull the plug and re-purpose/remove the staff accordingly instead of spending a significant amount of money on hardware, database, and billing systems upgrades?

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If EA were trying to destroy UO, wouldn't it be easier to simply pull the plug and re-purpose/remove the staff accordingly instead of spending a significant amount of money on hardware, database, and billing systems upgrades?
However they can't JUSTIFY pulling the plug until the subs drop to a level that the expendatures execeed the revenue.

Prior to the great fiasco UO sub numbers were enough to show a fair margin of revenue, therefore pulling the plug could not be justified at that time.

Now with the Great Fiasco players are quitting like flys. I'm willing to bet if Sablestorm and her accounts go there will be a SIGNIFIGANT drop in in revenue from UO.

IMHO they're helping things along so they can justify pulling the plug on a game that they think should have already died.

I'm just playing devil's advocate, but if you think about it, its almost logical.

But then again EA and logic are rarely uttered in the same breath.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

If they wanted UO dead, they would quit doing ANY work on it, wait until it's not profitable, then shut it down.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
There will be no flames here.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
You misunderstood. I was in the process of locking yer thread. Another and much kinder mod was working on it at the same time. I defered to the other Mod...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Yes... My sense of humor has been removed. It was interfering with my ability to hunt trolls. Even funny trolls need weeded out. *twitches* I am kelmo 2.0.

My next upgrade will remove my necessity to rely on two finger typing. I will merely have to think the words. *stares*

W

Woodsman

However they can't JUSTIFY pulling the plug until the subs drop to a level that the expendatures execeed the revenue.
Why would they need to justify anything? They own the game, the hardware, and the franchise, they can do whatever they want. Videogame companies do things all the time without justifying themselves to the customers. The stockholders aren't going to get upset - they are more worried about Star Wars, the PopCap purchase, etc.

EA closes down games or game services every year and many times some group of players is upset. Some of those services are still in use, but EA wants those players to move on to Super Madden 2011 or they want to move the development resources elsewhere.

Prior to the great fiasco UO sub numbers were enough to show a fair margin of revenue, therefore pulling the plug could not be justified at that time.
I'm just playing devil's advocate, but if you think about it, its almost logical.
Camelot, Warhammer, and Star Wars players have had problems with the migration. Was EA trying to kill off any of those games? Some are still having problems. And ironically, there were Warhammer players claiming this migration was an attempt to kill off Warhammer.

EA would have no problem pulling the plug if they wanted to do so.

I would be a lot more worried if UO or the other two Mythic games were not upgraded while Star Wars and everything else was moved to the new system under Origin.com

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Woodsman, you should know by now that with certain posters, the easiest, most mind-boggling OBVIOUS answer is obviously the WRONG one.

Because somehow, in fevered-delusion-land, it makes more sense to spend over 2 weeks to implement a brand new billing system and deal with all of the issues involved in porting information into the new coordinated system all the while dealing with affected customers than it is to simply turn everything off and call it a day.

Granted back in the real world, I'm not exactly sure HOW this makes ANY sense logically OR humourously, but I guess our resident "conspiracy theorist" can always call a GM and ask them about it.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes... My sense of humor has been removed. It was interfering with my ability to hunt trolls. Even funny trolls need weeded out. *twitches* I am kelmo 2.0.

My next upgrade will remove my necessity to rely on two finger typing. I will merely have to think the words. *stares*
That is an upgrade that I, for one, would not want for myself.

-Galen's player

W

Woodsman

Because somehow, in fevered-delusion-land, it makes more sense to spend over 2 weeks to implement a brand new billing system and deal with all of the issues involved in porting information into the new coordinated system all the while dealing with affected customers than it is to simply turn everything off and call it a day.
EA CEO: We need to kill off UO. How can we force the players to leave?

Executive #1: We can spend several millions of dollars on database programers and new software and hardware over several months and develop a new account management system that is bugged. We'll be subtle about it so that UO players don't catch on right off the bat, so we'll include Camelot, Warhammer, Star Wars, Battlefield 3, and any other EA games that have online components.

Executiive #2: How about I make a 5 minute phone call to Ray Muzyka and tell him to tell the UO team to disconnect the servers?

EA CEO: That's crazy talk!

Executive #2: Well umm, if you want to force players to quit, then umm turning off the servers would get 100% of the players to quit. That whole new database program that Executive #1 was talking about is still going to leave the door open for the most determined UO players to keep trying to give us money so they can keep playing, and it will cost us millions of dollars to implement and support.

EA CEO: You're speaking in some kind of moon language, you're fired!

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WTF, we went from discussing taxes to a conspiracy about EA trying to shut down UO? Only you Jirel could find a bridge there, lol.

EA doesn't need a freaken excuse to shut down UO. They sure as hell wouldn't spend more money on UO (paying employees to migrate accounts, development, etc) just to shut it down. EA likes money, they wouldn't waste money to dump UO.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Between the Migration Fiasco and the Taxation without Authorization...It's as if EA is TRYING to destroy UO.

Okay let's set aside for a moment the fact that 99% of this forum thinks I'm nuttier than a tree full of squirrels.

Let's look at what's happening...

Exhibit A: Account Migration fiasco

Accounts getting screwed up. Paying customers suddenly having their accounts CLOSED. 9 account limit per EA ID and threat of BAN if you make more that one id. These are but a few of the problems that have push long time loyal players to quit.

Exhibit B: Taxation without our authorization

Suddenly we are paying sales tax on our accounts that in itsself isn't that bad

BUT.....

People are being charged the wrong tax rate - ie OVER TAXED.

UK and European players have reported being charged US sales tax on top of their VAT Tax which is SUPPOSED TO BE illegal.

This has angered many and thus pushed them to quit.

There for I submit to you that in fact what EA really wants is for UO to die.
Thus freeing up servers for Star Wars the Old Republic the game that is supposed to be the "Greatest game of all time". Yeah, Right, Bull I hope SW:TOR is one great failure, it'd serve EA right.

Good people-- I rest my case and my motormouth.

*Dons flame proof suit*

Okay commence feedback!!!
Oh hush ... "authorization" indeed ...EA aint gonna ask You, what you(any of us) authorize them to take ...
They KNOW that answer will be zero or PAY ME! :talktothehand:pffft!

You pay taxes for stuffs you buy from claremore right?
Where do you think your internet comes from? The Highway?

EA likely contacted a master list of ISP's as to what the "local" situation is for AccountNameNo.@###.###.###.
they crossindexed it to CableheadAddressZip7----- Claremore Oklahoma ... bing!
ONLY EA knows their side for sure, Maybe Your isp knows what taxes THEY pay for where THEY operate
EA ain't keeping the money anyways ... They are sending back that handfull of coins, back: INTO your State .. where it is likely DUE
MAYBE instead of the ISP, they contacted the state/countyZIPcode tax authority
yw
TWO places for you to backtrack from YOUR end.

And the migration, for the all the rising of the reign of Cthulhu >it has< initially appeared to be ...
is a GOOD thang ... uhuh kelmo, I said it! let me count the ways ...
Surely >more than one< of the local readers, will be thrilled to hear of my pending departure,
I've no horse in the race anymore, no future in the game, for whatever reason >I cannot continue to play<
No emotion, no threats, no nothing ... just a realization it has ended for me.
I'll finish my 7stages here, soon enough
and then there'll be even More time fo me >Out There< and more room for you all >in here<..
thats a good thing ... circle of life type Good. Fayled going to be moving on.
Good for the community, one less twisted ego to deal with.
Yall getting the hang of the google thang, most feel thats all I had to offer ... s'okay y'all'll get by and prosper.

Its not so good for the game, BUT, its only two accounts and two plots worth so, really not so bad.
Good though that there is More room for the incoming noobies
What noobie wants to hang with an old foggie? knows everything, done everything, Too bossy with the "do it this way"
old guy crap alla time ... :talktothehand:pfffft! It is GOOD to cut through the dead wood on occasion, Knock the dust off the old ways
make some room for the newnness to be fresh. Vacate the kingdom on the hill, let some new bucks fight their way up! Have Their glory
Have their "moment" of discovery ... That is good! two three days absent ingame ... it'll be as if I was never there which IS good ...
looks like "undiscovered country" and for them, IT IS! Thats good! I can only hope they "do" as well as I DID.

Its good for the Business of UO, two less accounts, yeah sure :talktothehand:pfffft! GOOD in that finally EA will have "control" of ALL accounts playing the UO
The "Linking"? GOOD !! This is mine and here's my data to prove it. Someone jacked my account HA! quick and easy peasy to get it back ... some one saying I jacked their account? Oh Yeah? Pop-a-link! EA knows it has Always been mine i gots all the background data to Prove beyond doubt that "the some one lying" AIN'T me! *points*banHIM It Is GOOD to be sure and certain and precisely documented, It is GOOD to ride the high Horse of Right!
Well, not me in game or with EA, that is a past point ...
ALLA this is GOOD for You All, I've had mine, Now Get YOURS!!
(You know that I would never "hand it to you in pity")
make of it what you will, Make it GOOD, make yaselfs >Proud<

I am Fayled Dhreams not you
I define Fayled Dhreams not you
History will judge me
History will judge you
and you and me don't matter ... that is GOOD.

Fiat justia Ruat Caelum
and THAT dear readers is JUSTICE

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would you like it if you were overcharaged for something??
..... It's not over charged.. it's taxes on something that you should be taxed on. You think cable internet and updates to it are built for free?

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
but my major issue was the double taxing which is illegal!
You honestly think you won't be compensated for a mistake like that? Relax.. It might not be immediate compensation, but you'll get your 2 dollars back.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gah lets end the conspiracy .... Ea wanted to shut down years ago but thank Mark Jacobs for saving it :) So if EA wants to shut down UO it wont be over a tax issue they will just pull the plug.

INFO FROM THIS LINK FROM MARK JACOBS....

f13.net forums - State of The Game - Mark Jacobs

In terms of me having a thin skin, LOL. In the 20+ years I've been making games, I've been called more obscene things, accused of being responsible for every thing that went wrong in DAoC (even when I wasn't involved in the game at all after a few years because of Imperator or WAR), blamed for the state UO is in (except thatEA wanted to shut down UO when they gave it to us but I convinced them to spend more money on the game), gotten death threats (and had to call in the FBI), told that I should "shut up and die" more times than I can remember, criticized because I want to start a blog, had someone wish that my son and I should die in a car accident because we changed how one of the classes in DAOC worked, get hate mail on said blog (I know, I expected it) and my personal email constantly and generally blamed whenever possible for everything that is wrong in Mythic, Imperator, WAR, DAoC, UO, etc. and I almost always (especially nowadays) ignore them. I'm not saying this to be whiny or complain but simply to point out that when some people say I have a thin skin that I ignore 99% of the things that are said about me and Mythic especially when they are said by anonymous posters on the Internet so my skin can't be that thin. And BTW, when things did go wrong with those games, I took full responsibility for it because as CEO/GM both externally and internally at EA as well, because I consider it part of my job (even if I had nothing to do with the decision at any level like changes to classes past a certain point or statements made by Mythic guys) unlike many both in our industry and in our world who never take responsibility. And somehow, some say I should say nothing ever in response and that I have a thin skin when I respond once in a blue moon. I'm not expecting one iota of pity or sympathy for that stuff because I know as the frontman for Mythic, I'm going to take the heat but not being able to say anything, ever? That's not fair and it is a double-standard.

K

Kayne

Can we get back to the tax issue and stop with the conspiracy theories about UO. Its 14 years old and still here being updated that says something about whether EA want to keep it going.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One other note:

Being from out of state, neither EA nor Vertex knows exactly WHERE you are in your county.

One person noted that they were being charged their neighboring city's sales tax rate, when they live outside the city limits where it's lower.

In other places, for example my former home in Corbin, KY, the city is split between two counties, and has around 10,000 more people in the same zip code in a THIRD county (the only reason that area hasn't been annexed is wackos screaming "stop urban sprawl!!!!!!" passed a law a few decades ago, that prohibited cities from crossing more than 1 county line). While Corbin only has to deal with having its own Restaurant Tax, each of the 3 counties has its own occupational tax, and that's confusing enough (especially since the town's biggest employer, CSX, has its rail yard ON TOP of the county line).

As billing software can't go through EVERY ACCOUNT and do a GPS Google maps Search for city/county lines, and most often the borders that are shown are in error at some point.

What DOES happen, is that places like Vertex simply look up the zip codes and town names, determine what the highest tax applicable is for that location, and errs on the side of charging some people too much, rather than undercharging.
Retail customers can't really win a over a few pennies of overpaid tax, short of a class action (and it would be had to get any sort of class designation when it would be such a small percentage of users in each state, across many jurisdictions), in such a situation.
On the other hand, cities and other governments have lawyers on the payroll just itching to screw over someone underpaying their tax. They usually get paid the same whether they are sitting around or not (especially if elected officials, as the city and county attorneys are in many states); and, as the latter builds better reputation in legal circles (not to mention voters - never mind the "lost" revenue recovered would be a fraction of a percent of the money WASTED on the suit), many of them are proactive.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your tax rate is based upon the ZIP CODE your BANK has on file for you for your credit/debit card.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Retail customers can't really win a over a few pennies of overpaid tax, short of a class action (and it would be had to get any sort of class designation when it would be such a small percentage of users in each state, across many jurisdictions), in such a situation.
Seems like putting together a class action might be difficult anyway, given the new arbitration section in the updated Terms of Service.

Updated list of charges by state is still here: http://vboards.stratics.com/2006473-post144.html.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

Oh hush ... "authorization" indeed ...EA aint gonna ask You, what you(any of us) authorize them to take ...
They KNOW that answer will be zero or PAY ME! :talktothehand:pffft!

You pay taxes for stuffs you buy from claremore right?
Where do you think your internet comes from? The Highway?

EA likely contacted a master list of ISP's as to what the "local" situation is for AccountNameNo.@###.###.###.
they crossindexed it to CableheadAddressZip7----- Claremore Oklahoma ... bing!
ONLY EA knows their side for sure, Maybe Your isp knows what taxes THEY pay for where THEY operate
EA ain't keeping the money anyways ... They are sending back that handfull of coins, back: INTO your State .. where it is likely DUE
MAYBE instead of the ISP, they contacted the state/countyZIPcode tax authority
yw
TWO places for you to backtrack from YOUR end.

And the migration, for the all the rising of the reign of Cthulhu >it has< initially appeared to be ...
is a GOOD thang ... uhuh kelmo, I said it! let me count the ways ...
Surely >more than one< of the local readers, will be thrilled to hear of my pending departure,
I've no horse in the race anymore, no future in the game, for whatever reason >I cannot continue to play<
No emotion, no threats, no nothing ... just a realization it has ended for me.
I'll finish my 7stages here, soon enough
and then there'll be even More time fo me >Out There< and more room for you all >in here<..
thats a good thing ... circle of life type Good. Fayled going to be moving on.
Good for the community, one less twisted ego to deal with.
Yall getting the hang of the google thang, most feel thats all I had to offer ... s'okay y'all'll get by and prosper.

Its not so good for the game, BUT, its only two accounts and two plots worth so, really not so bad.
Good though that there is More room for the incoming noobies
What noobie wants to hang with an old foggie? knows everything, done everything, Too bossy with the "do it this way"
old guy crap alla time ... :talktothehand:pfffft! It is GOOD to cut through the dead wood on occasion, Knock the dust off the old ways
make some room for the newnness to be fresh. Vacate the kingdom on the hill, let some new bucks fight their way up! Have Their glory
Have their "moment" of discovery ... That is good! two three days absent ingame ... it'll be as if I was never there which IS good ...
looks like "undiscovered country" and for them, IT IS! Thats good! I can only hope they "do" as well as I DID.

Its good for the Business of UO, two less accounts, yeah sure :talktothehand:pfffft! GOOD in that finally EA will have "control" of ALL accounts playing the UO
The "Linking"? GOOD !! This is mine and here's my data to prove it. Someone jacked my account HA! quick and easy peasy to get it back ... some one saying I jacked their account? Oh Yeah? Pop-a-link! EA knows it has Always been mine i gots all the background data to Prove beyond doubt that "the some one lying" AIN'T me! *points*banHIM It Is GOOD to be sure and certain and precisely documented, It is GOOD to ride the high Horse of Right!
Well, not me in game or with EA, that is a past point ...
ALLA this is GOOD for You All, I've had mine, Now Get YOURS!!
(You know that I would never "hand it to you in pity")
make of it what you will, Make it GOOD, make yaselfs >Proud<

I am Fayled Dhreams not you
I define Fayled Dhreams not you
History will judge me
History will judge you
and you and me don't matter ... that is GOOD.

Fiat justia Ruat Caelum
and THAT dear readers is JUSTICE
I will miss you :( Might be just a handful of us that will..I am among them.

Sad to see this whole mess is forcing people away, especially dedicated individuals such as yourself.

I came back because I never wanted to leave in the first place...I'm glad that I did...sad that it's during this mess but I'm still glad that I did.

Keep on keepin on..

L

F

Fayled Dhreams

I will miss you :( Might be just a handful of us that will..I am among them.

Sad to see this whole mess is forcing people away, especially dedicated individuals such as yourself.

I came back because I never wanted to leave in the first place...I'm glad that I did...sad that it's during this mess but I'm still glad that I did.

Keep on keepin on..

L
Heh! thanks for that :blushing: but ya gotta admit ... it'll be like missing a barking dog ...
and after 7 some years, its 49 from the dogs point of view ...
and with the leashes off and the fences down ... house all boarded up
don't make much sense for him to be expected to be around ...
Better to wonder where he went ...
and from the dogs point of view, certainly don't worry about it ...
definitely don't imagine it as anyways "bad":sad2: for him ...

He'll find a new pack and make his place in it ... or
an old folks home and making 'em smile because of the random visit
still gots some trick's in him, let a child be amused
share the illusion of "who is in control" or who's leading who

This old dog ... never had a "Master" ...
wasn't what he was bred and born to do
He's a Jack London breed, born of legend and myth
not a named template like working or deco(show) and never a Lap

He's a Companionship, born of legend and myth.

Licks Blackrock Larisa's face all over, nearly to Dripping
Just a last taste to better remember You by ...

*Dog grins*:gee:

M

magikcat11

My new renewal that will take effect on the 4th does not include any tax because I am in Oregon.

The company I work for is in the process of reprogramming our system to collect sales/use tax in the 45 states that have them. We only have a physical presence in one state that has tax, but the states are getting very aggressive about collecting their taxes and since they can't get the citizens/companies to pay it on their own they are strong-arming the out-of-state companies into collecting for them.

The days of avoiding paying sales tax on internet purchases are slowly fading away.....EA might not quite have it right yet, but in the end they don't have a choice. It's not like they are pocketing the money, it will be sent to the state they collected for.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Your tax rate is based upon the ZIP CODE your BANK has on file for you for your credit/debit card.
Ah! excellent supposition! that is after all where the >transaction< takes place (money handed out)
Peeps probably don't live in the branches vault ... but their money do!

rates as equal to where the service charged for is delivered from (ISP cable head)

High marks:thumbup1:

Nilrem

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm interested to see what happens with my account - it's finally showing my billing data (I guess that my CC must have transfered from the old system in the last couple of days), with a billing amount of £9.99 due on the first.

Is it stating how much it'll bill in the "renewal" amount, or only after it bills?

K

Kayne

I'm interested to see what happens with my account - it's finally showing my billing data (I guess that my CC must have transfered from the old system in the last couple of days), with a billing amount of £9.99 due on the first.

Is it stating how much it'll bill in the "renewal" amount, or only after it bills?
Nilrem it seems to be stating it when you go to subscribe and it gives you the three amounts for 1 month, 3 and 6

once you go through and it gives you the final confirmation screen it adds tax to bring the 1 month value to £11.65

E

ECO Director

new tax

what a joke, is this a usa tax, well i don't live there
Must be a tax to cover the costs of a dropping player base, I guess the tax can rise whenever they want, not as bad as charging us more for less

PLAY LOTR

Haruchai

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For British players who are concerned, the best way forward whilst we wait for official explanation is to contact your local Trading Standards Office.

Supply them with screenshots of the renewal screen which says VAT inclusive and the one that then adds the VAT again. This is illegal under the The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations (usually thought of as the Trades Description Act) where all advertised prices must be clear about whether they include or exclude VAT.

My Trading Standards Officer has this information and confirmed that they will be taking it up with EA UK.

At the very least, they will have to clarify what they are selling and for how much.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: new tax

Has nothing to do with EA. So dont aim your jabs their way. The state of California is to blame.
Recient changes in state tax law hit and cause they lost a big revinue they implamented the internet tax on all businesses in the state. EA is based in California.

Rupert Avery

Sage
Stratics Veteran
For British players who are concerned, the best way forward whilst we wait for official explanation is to contact your local Trading Standards Office.

Supply them with screenshots of the renewal screen which says VAT inclusive and the one that then adds the VAT again. This is illegal under the The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations (usually thought of as the Trades Description Act) where all advertised prices must be clear about whether they include or exclude VAT.

My Trading Standards Officer has this information and confirmed that they will be taking it up with EA UK.

At the very least, they will have to clarify what they are selling and for how much.

Thank you for the Information... let us know the rest of the story :)

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: new tax

Has nothing to do with EA. So dont aim your jabs their way. The state of California is to blame.
Recient changes in state tax law hit and cause they lost a big revinue they implamented the internet tax on all businesses in the state. EA is based in California.
Complete supposition.

If this were the case, then everyone would be seeing a tax charge with their subscription. As I stated above, and another Oregon resident confirmed, we arent being taxed anything. Chances are, this is a side-effect from the new accounting system being buggy or containing incorrect data.

Since it is a financial crime to tax fraudulently, or to double tax in the case of those having to pay VAT, EA is indeed the one people should be contacting with complaints - lest this turn into another legal woe for the company to add to the already growing PR nightmare.